Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi
    I'm enjoying my Touchpad running just webOS,

But, I do sometimes miss the more feature-laden Android ICS
    But, I don't want to install a half-baked version of it.

So, Does anyone know when would be a good time to install Android alongside webOS on my Touchpad?
    Is it workable yet in its entirety?

Thanks
    Last edited by theVenerable; 05/14/2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Now? I'm typing this from ICS because my Tp won't recognise the hotels captive portal (no idea why). It worked last week. Rebooted it. No change.

Alan
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Now? I'm typing this from ICS because my Tp won't recognise the hotels captive portal (no idea why). It worked last week. Rebooted it. No change.

Alan
    sorry to hear that.

well, I know ICS is available 'now'
    But is it really 'useable'?
    Full android market?
    Camera working?
    etc?
    All that kind of stuff?
    Also, is it a 'bland' ICS?
    I have seen some custom ICS's for other devices that look very bad.
    When you have an hour of undivided time to sit down, read the thread on how to install it, and get the necessary files downloaded. It isn't that hard to do if you can follow the directions explicitly, just take your time, and be patient.

I've installed 3 different versions, and removed 2 of them, without any issues. Bottom line, it's up to you if you feel comfortable doing it, but many have already done so and succeeded.

I can't say I really use it for much other than Draw Something.....but the option is there for me.....it has it's issues here and there, but fairly minor for the amount I play around with it.

Camera doesn't work, Market seems pretty full to me.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure it is worth it yet.
    I take it the bugs & camera will be fixed sooner or later?
    ICS as a whole is extremely bland.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Using ICS is helpful for PDF annotating, getting into captive portals (I switch back to WebOS after logging in w Android, and it works...) Overall no harm in installing ICS, the WebOS side is unchanged for me. WebOS just looks and works better. Splashtop is best for remote PC control
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ICS as a whole is extremely bland.
    Well,
    It seems to depends what version you are using.
    And I don't even mean version 4.0.1 or 4.0.3.
    There seem to be many custom made 4.0.3's on other devices like the ainol paladin for example.
    Some look better than others, while some are more complete than others.
    Bit of a minefield really.

I guess i just want too much.
    Because I basically want an Andoid operating system that is complete, and is updateable without having to keep re-installing.
    Like on the Asus Transformer I believe.

I'm just trying to hold out as long as possible until the ICS is more complete.

Will it get much more improvement?
    If not, I may as well install it as it is.
    There are apps that I use in android that just arent available in any from on webOS.
    If you are familiar, sounds like you are, with Android.....then it works well enough.
    <thread moved>
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If you are familiar, sounds like you are, with Android.....then it works well enough.
    Ok, thanks, I may give it a go.

But please, can anyone clarify:
    Is ICS on the Touchpad likely to get any better or will it stay much the same as it is?
    Last edited by theVenerable; 05/14/2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    One of the primary developers of CM9 on the TouchPad is done with finals and diving back into TouchPad development. Hopefully we will see some progress/movement towards Beta.

To answer your question about timing, Now is a good time. It is not like you are going to loose anything from your current install, webOS will still be there, but you also get to play with ICS.
    Last edited by noseph; 05/14/2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The right time was when Alpha 2 came out. Just do it already. Do you actually have a reason not to? It's not like you won't be able to use WebOS any more or can't uninstall it if you decide you don't like it for some reason.
    DeadVim likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jyjjy View Post
    The right time was when Alpha 2 came out. Just do it already. Do you actually have a reason not to? It's not like you won't be able to use WebOS any more or can't uninstall it if you decide you don't like it for some reason.
    lol

well, the main reason I'm holding out is that I donr want to have to keep re-instaling the 'latest nightly builds'.
    I'd rather do one install, and stick with it.

Thanks all for the info
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    A new nightly takes minutes to install, however, you are not required to update every time.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I installed CM9 at the beginning of April and it has worked very well. It's quite stable. I've updated once but then not even due to a problem or anything - I just wanted to see how easy or hard it was. (It was very easy and only took a couple minutes).

I gotta say that even though I like webOS much better, CM9 is quite good and with so many apps available I find I am in CM9 much more than webOS now. The dual boot ability means you can have the best of both worlds, no matter which one you find you prefer more.
    I would say that the right time is now if your thinking about it. My jump in took a little bit of extra time trying to get the loader to recognize my touchpad (this seems to be computer dependent - my desktop wouldn't do it but my laptop jumped in headfirst). While the user interphase isn't as good as webos (this can be modded to have a more webos feel), it runs quick and smooth. My main reason for switching was pdf usage. Heavy vector graphics pdf's were just too slow to be usable in webos. However, in CM9 they render a heck of a lot quicker and I now have a fully functional pdf reader. I find myself rarely going back to webos now and have deleted some of my webos apps that have counterparts in the android market.

My only complaint as of now is the lack of camera support (which will change) and the battery life issues (this might just be the norm for android vs webos)
    A tablets usefulness is limited anyway, but CM9 is way more useful than webos. The speed improvement over webos is also phenomenal ! and yes I did do all the overclocking and patches in webos. If you just want to install it and leave it, then start with the latest CM Nightly and Gapps. The nightlies are all stable and usable, only lacking the camera support. But the touchpad camera is crap anyway and you can always boot into webos if you really have to use it.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
    DeadVim likes this.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    It is ready right now. If you see my blog, you can see how easy it is to uninstall Android if you don't like it. As easy as running one command line. ICS is the latest android OS. even some of brand new Android tablets in Best buys/frys/amazon come with Gingerbread. This is the best ICS tablet ever. I enjoy it greatly. Just do it!

HP Touchpad rocks!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    lol

well, the main reason I'm holding out is that I donr want to have to keep re-instaling the 'latest nightly builds'.
    I'd rather do one install, and stick with it.

Thanks all for the info
    As others have said upgrading after the initial installation is very simple and quick. Basically you just download one file, reboot into clockwork mod, wipe the caches and select the file. No one is forcing you to install nightlies if you don't want to anyway.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast