Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #21  
    well, i tried it, but literally fell at the first hurdle.

I think I downloaded the correct files from the android instalation guide, but when I start to try to transer them onto my Touchpad, the instructions just arent clear enough.

"When you plug your touchpad into the computer and put it in USB mode, then explore the touchpad as a USB drive, it is automatically in the /media/internal folder.

Into this folder, you are going to drag and drop the following file(s):" ?????
    I am not in a folder.

No, there is no such folder '/media/internal' on my touchpad when I browse it on my pc and I am not automatically in any folder when I open the touchpad on the pc.

plus i dont know what 2 apps are the 'google apps' and what 3 are the other ones to go into a diffrerent folder.
    They are not labelled clearly.

Doesnt bode well for the rest of the guide..
    I think I will wait until there is a more simple install.
    One thing that makes things worse is a Guide that is written incorrectly.

Perhaps someone can make a clearer guide?
    Otherwise it isnt clear enough in my opinion

Thanks all
    Last edited by theVenerable; 05/15/2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Re: USB
    You are 'in' the /media/internal folder; so naturally you would not 'see' it.

Sorry that you decided not to go thru with the install. However, the potshot about the gyide was uncalled for, especially in light of the number of documented successes following those instructions exactly.

Perhaps its not for you then.
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    well, i tried it, but literally fell at the first hurdle.

I think I downloaded the correct files from the android instalation guide, but when I start to try to transer them onto my Touchpad, the instructions just arent clear enough.

"When you plug your touchpad into the computer and put it in USB mode, then explore the touchpad as a USB drive, it is automatically in the /media/internal folder." ?????

No, there is no such folder on my touchpad when I browse it on my pc.

Doesnt bode well for the rest of the guide..
    I think I will wait until there is a more simple install.
    One thing that makes things worse is a Guide that is written incorrectly.

Thanks all
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: USB
    You are 'in' the /media/internal folder; so naturally you would not 'see' it.

Sorry that you decided not to go thru with the install. However, the potshot about the gyide was uncalled for, especially in light of the number of documented successes following those instructions exactly.

Perhaps its not for you then.
    Potshot?
    I dont understand it becasue in my mind, its not written clearly.

I appreciate the effort, but if its not clear, its not much use, sorry.

My window just says 'G:/ hp touchpad'
    Nothing about being IN a 'media/internal' folder. If it doesnt actually say 'media/internal', why put it on the instructions?
    Its just confusing as I was looking for that non-existent folder.

Plus its says to put 2 google files into that 'folder' that isnt even a folder, then make another folder and add the other 3 zip files, but how am i supposed to know what file is what? what 2 are the google files and what 3 arent?
    No idea.

Sorry, but I cant see how thats 'potshotting'.

Its 'not for me ' becasue i dont understand the instructions, thats all.
    Open the TouchPad device in your computer's file browser, create a folder (PC: Right click > New > Folder; Mac: Right Click or control+click > New Folder), and name it "cminstall". Copy the ClockworkMod Recovery, MOBoot, CM9, and whatever other zip files (*cough*Google Apps*cough*) you're installing into that folder. Eject the TouchPad from your computer and unplug it.

This is from the article written up for a front page article here at webOS Nation.

http://www.webosnation.com/how-insta...-your-touchpad
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Open the TouchPad device in your computer's file browser, create a folder (PC: Right click > New > Folder; Mac: Right Click or control+click > New Folder), and name it "cminstall". Copy the ClockworkMod Recovery, MOBoot, CM9, and whatever other zip files (*cough*Google Apps*cough*) you're installing into that folder. Eject the TouchPad from your computer and unplug it.

This is from the article written up for a front page article here at webOS Nation.

http://www.webosnation.com/how-insta...-your-touchpad
    Am I reading the wrong guide or something?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

"When you plug your touchpad into the computer and put it in USB mode, then explore the touchpad as a USB drive, it is automatically in the /media/internal folder.

Into this folder, you are going to drag and drop the following file(s):

The google apps files we downloaded in step 1.

Now that that's been handled, you need to right click anywhere on the screen and create a new directory. Simply right click anywhere on the file explorer screen, and create a new directory named:

CMinstall

If you've followed directions, you will now have a folder named CMinstall in the same directory that you've dropped the two files we just discussed.

Now, double click into this directory. You should now be inside the empty CMinstall directory. You are going to drag and drop several of the .zip files you downloaded in step 1. Place into this CMinstall directory the following ZIP files:

CM9 alpha 2.0 (or the latest nightly)
    Moboot
    Clockworkmod"

Is rather different than the instructions you gave above?

So do I just put ALL the downloaded files into the 'cminstall' folder, including the google ones,or no?
    If not, how do I know what two are the google ones?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Am I reading the wrong guide or something?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

Into this folder, you are going to drag and drop the following file(s):

The google apps files we downloaded in step 1.

Now that that's been handled, you need to right click anywhere on the screen and create a new directory. Simply right click anywhere on the file explorer screen, and create a new directory named:

CMinstall

If you've followed directions, you will now have a folder named CMinstall in the same directory that you've dropped the two files we just discussed.

Now, double click into this directory. You should now be inside the empty CMinstall directory. You are going to drag and drop several of the .zip files you downloaded in step 1. Place into this CMinstall directory the following ZIP files:

CM9 alpha 2.0 (or the latest nightly)
    Moboot
    Clockworkmod"

Is rather different than the instructions you gave above?

So do I just put ALL the downloaded files into the 'cminstall' folder, including the google ones,or no?
    If not, how do I know what two are the google ones?

Thanks
    used the guide from this site:

How to install Android 4.0 on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha) - Liliputing

The instructions start from a true beginners perspective and is current to the night lie update process
    why would you not install ICS on yout TP? I have it dual booting, and use it when I want to stream netflix or play words with friends of draw something etc. Its nice to have the option, even if I do boot to webos 99% of the time. The installation process is simple, so just go for it.

using task switcher & the patch, you can even get a webos(ish) experience when switching between running apps
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  8.    #28  
    !?

How many guides are there about this on webOS forums alone?
    And do they all tell you to do different things?

Can someone tell me what one is the EASY one please?

Thanks

Update.
    I'm going for that 'liliputing' one.
    It does seem the easiest to follow...
    hopefully I will have good news for you later.

''4. Place ACMEInstaller in the same directory as your Novacom files

If, like me, Novacom is in your c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc directory, just copy ACMEInstaller2 to that directory.''

Means what?
    Just put it inside the palm inc. folder, or put it in the 'novacomd' file that is allready in the palm inc file?

I've just stuck it in the palm inc folder,and hope for the best...
    And im trying not to flame at the 'incomplete' instructions.
    Last edited by theVenerable; 05/16/2012 at 04:21 AM.
    He suggests watching his earlier video first:

and then watch

Maybe this video walk-through will be easier for you to follow.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10.    #30  
    Success!

I just put the ACME installer in both places, so one had to be right.
    After that, and a little bit of typing in the command prompt to get it started, it did the rest itself.

I was thinking 'If its this confusing at the start, then God knows what its going to be like when it really gets into the propper 'installation' process.'

So Imagine my relif when I realized there was nothign more to be done apart from giving a command prompt to get it started.

Very simple, very effective.
    These programmers are clearly geniuses, I just wish the guides were just a tiny bit clearer.
    There really isn't much to be done, so being REALLY clear about what goes where would be beneficial to other noobs who, like me, are trying to get ICS on thier Touchpad.

All in all though, all I can say is,
    If I can do it, then I think just about anyone can....given the right instructions.

Thanks very much all for continuing to offer support during my installation process.
    And apologies for any 'flaming'.

I now have ICS on my Touchpad, with working google play.
    The polished webOS and the app-laden ICS ... best of both worlds.

Thanks
    well done on getting it working, it is really good to have both OS's available at your fingertips.

If you fancy using task switcher (to get card like switching between apps on android) check this link out:

[MOD] [PORT] WebCM9 0.4 - WebOS-like app switcher [3/9/12] [CM9/AOKP] - HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki

its not super complex to install, if you managed CM9, I'm sure you can do this as well
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    well done on getting it working, it is really good to have both OS's available at your fingertips.

If you fancy using task switcher (to get card like switching between apps on android) check this link out:

[MOD] [PORT] WebCM9 0.4 - WebOS-like app switcher [3/9/12] [CM9/AOKP] - HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki

its not super complex to install, if you managed CM9, I'm sure you can do this as well
    Thanks, I may look into that when I get it all set up.
    I'm having a bit of a wifi issue at the moment, it keeps cutting out.
    I installed 'juice defender' maybe thats why.
    I will remove it and see if its any better
    I would bypass the Alpha cm9 zips and use the latest Nightlies. They are very stable and offer more updates since the Alpha's first came out. Its up to ver 0515 now.

I have not one single issue with the Nightlies and that includes the wifi issues since i feel that's very dependent on the type of router and network you have. My setup is a cisco e3000 router running dd-wrt.

btw, I use juice defender and have no wifi problems at all.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdude450 View Post
    I would bypass the Alpha cm9 zips and use the latest Nightlies. They are very stable and offer more updates since the Alpha's first came out. Its up to ver 0515 now.

I have not one single issue with the Nightlies and that includes the wifi issues since i feel that's very dependent on the type of router and network you have. My setup is a cisco e3000 router running dd-wrt.

btw, I use juice defender and have no wifi problems at all.
    The wifi seems ok since I uninstalled juice defender.
    I will re-install it and see how it goes.

Also, the google speech recognizer / voice search wont work for me, it made my tablet crash actually and I had to reboot.
    Is it working for anyone else?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The camera and the mic do not yet work in CM9. The mic does work in CM7 if you really need it but the interface isn't nearly as snazzy as ICS.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jyjjy View Post
    The camera and the mic do not yet work in CM9. The mic does work in CM7 if you really need it but the interface isn't nearly as snazzy as ICS.
    Ah, OK.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I can do without the mic for a while.

My wifi is a little less reliable with ICS, is there anything I can do to improve it?

Apart from that, I'm liking the dual boot freedoms.

Thanks
    If you aren't running it, then now would be a good time to check out the latest Nightly build. The Wi-Fi has improved on some of the latest ones since Alpha 2.

Sent from my HP Touchpad running CM9 Nightly Build with Tapatalk!
    Just a twentysomething enjoying his HP Touchpad. Oh crud, I just lost out on 20 bucks...where'd they go?!

Writer, student, furry in spare time. :3
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    My opinion on Wifi:

It is as bad as ever (or as good, depending on your viewpoint). For me, it works OK if I run the "wifi Fix" after each O/S upgrade (nightlys). I'm currently on the 13th May one.

I did try the v4.0 wifi drivers which have been alluded to, but they made things worse, so I reflashed the 13/5 update and it's back as I always find.

Alan
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    My opinion on Wifi:

It is as bad as ever (or as good, depending on your viewpoint). For me, it works OK if I run the "wifi Fix" after each O/S upgrade (nightlys). I'm currently on the 13th May one.

I did try the v4.0 wifi drivers which have been alluded to, but they made things worse, so I reflashed the 13/5 update and it's back as I always find.

Alan
    Hi Alan

Could you elaborate on the 'wifi fix' ?

Thanks all
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The fix, like many things, is mentioned and linked in the getting started guide.
    I've never had wifi issues myself but beyond the "fix" everyone has been saying switching the channel of your router to 1-4 helps a lot.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast