1.    #1  
    Launch Day Pre owner...times three....and then three TPs from HP on the first night that they dropped the price. Yes, we are a family of diehard WebOS lovers (and PalmOS before that)...but CM9 just landed on my TP...and now my wife wants it too.

Why? Apps, of course. Netflix and Hulu+ without playing games...and 100,000 others.

Impressions so far (using CM9 nightly):

• Very solid OS for alpha
    • Wifi issues at first, but solved with replacement drivers
    • Drowning in apps. Seriously...I can't count how many web browsers there are.
    • The UI is amazingly lame...at least in comparison to WebOS...but you can get used to it. Still though, I miss my cards.
    • No camera or mic at this stage, but I never used them in WebOS...so I haven't missed them much. That said, Android has a range of voice command and search options, so it will be nice when the CM team gets the Mic working.

On balance, far more positives than negatives. I haven't rebooted into WebOS for some time. Sadly.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I also think it's very solid for an Alpha release. It's amazing how smooth the GUI is compared to CM7. It's fast compared to CM7.

The only issue I have with it is battery life (not nearly as good as webOS), and Netflix (very, very blocky - essentially not watchable much of the time).

I don't care about the camera or mic and I also miss the cards.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    I also think it's very solid for an Alpha release. It's amazing how smooth the GUI is compared to CM7. It's fast compared to CM7.

The only issue I have with it is battery life (not nearly as good as webOS), and Netflix (very, very blocky - essentially not watchable much of the time).

I don't care about the camera or mic and I also miss the cards.
    Yes, the battery usage is ridiculous. Something is up. The last two nights I went to sleep with 25-30% battery life and woke up to it dead. That would have never happened in WebOS for me. I need to look into that.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I have it on my TP and my son's - I like it for the novelty, but most often I still use WebOS.

I'm not opposed to Android, though - if WebOS doesn't work out, I suppose I could make the switch. I won't necessarily be happy, but at least there's an option.

(By the way, we had 4 Pre's, 1 Pixi, 2 FrankenPre's, and 7 Touchpads in the family at one time - so I'm not a fly-by-nighter!)
    Yeah, put me on the reluctantly CM9'ed list as well. Pre+ owner (wife too), pre 2, and wife and I each have a tp (wife's is still on webOS). I definitely miss cards especially when trying to keep a few emails and a spreadsheet handy at once while on a call, but I too have found that the benefits have outweighed the downsides.

Mostly been bothered by the battery drain and the spotty wifi. Where did you find those "replacement drivers"?

Honestly, as much as I enjoy netflix, the biggest difference for me has been the browser. The current chrome browser is far more enjoyable to use than the stock webOS browser or advanced browser.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    [*]Wifi issues at first, but solved with replacement drivers

Where did you find replacement drivers? My biggest complaint so far is the Wifi. If I can make that at lease a little more stable, life would be good.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update-ath6kl-v4.0w-for-20120513-signed.zip
    Try this with a current nightly (either official or unofficial).
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update-ath6kl-v4.0w-for-20120513-signed.zip
    Try this with a current nightly (either official or unofficial).
    Every time I tried to install that driver from clockworkmod it put my touchpad into the boot freeze.

When the wifi had issues connecting, just forget network, turn wifi off, then back on, and connect to network. Press the settings option ( three dots on the top right ) and check the option for wifi to never turn off when in sleep
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paran0idandr0id View Post
    Every time I tried to install that driver from clockworkmod it put my touchpad into the boot freeze.
    You have tried this with 20120513 nightly? It is only for 20120513 or later.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    You have tried this with 20120513 nightly? It is only for 20120513 or later.
    Got it working, now. I currently am on 20120513 nightly but the last driver I installed was for 20120329. Didn't know the dates had to match. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Yes, the battery usage is ridiculous. Something is up. The last two nights I went to sleep with 25-30% battery life and woke up to it dead. That would have never happened in WebOS for me. I need to look into that.
    I finally moved my Touchstone to my nightstand so I could put it up every night and make sure it charged. The one night I didn't set it right, I woke up to an ominous flashing red battery icon in the center of a black screen.

One benefit of the switch to CM9 for me is sharing the apps I already have for my smartphone. It's nice to buy things once and have them both "at home" and on the go.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Just got the TP yesterday from the recent Woot sale and got CM9 on there. Played with webos for about 30 mins and have been happy with CM9 so far, my first Android experience.

Went to bed with about 40% battery and woke up to 15%, I had shutdown while in CM9, so something is still running? Should I be rebooting into webos and shutting down from there instead to avoid this for now?

My only other gripe is the miniusb that I have to wiggle at times for the TP to start charging.
    You have to logout of Google Talk and it is a good idea to turn off WiFi to save battery.

The WiFi issues in the first post were fixed in the 522 nightly (and later).
    yeah sigh, I finally got the 4g CM9 and I thought that would change my mind and stick to it but i miss the cards...If only hp continued this product, they would be loads of apps by now and we would not have this conversation.