webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Which Android implementation?
Which Android implementation?

Old 04/10/2012, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi there

Awaiting a 32GB WiFi which thanks to its open nature looks to be the answer to my prayers (if only I'd stumbled across it sooner!)

I see some Android installs - Cyanogen 09 Alpha 2, Classic Nerd and Miui (is that an Android version?)

So which should I try first, and why? I gather CM09 is the default choice for many, but what of the others?

Cheers

JonB
JonB_TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

AOKP build 31 has been my ROM of choice as of late. Very smooth and complete. Goo.im Downloads - Browsing tenderloin
matteebee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was looking at AOKP too
but i was wondering, with all these different versions.. which gapps do i use?
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great discussion here: AOKP - RootzWiki and here: [ROM] Android Open Kang Project - Tenderloin Milestone 4 - xda-developers
Use these gapps: Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
Old 04/10/2012, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am using CM9 Alpha 2. Its the first ROM I have flashed on my touchpad since getting it. I've seen the other ROMs but I dont really know the big differences. How is AOKP better than CM9? Just curious.
Old 04/10/2012, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is WAY more customizable and goes super deep into all the menus. For example, it has a built in govnah and settings menus go on and on for days with every aspect of your homescreen. This ROM along with nova launcher (available free in the google play catalog) have givien me the closest experience to webOS imaginable. Also try "task manager" app, discussion here: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...t-android.html
Old 04/11/2012, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I went ahead and installed AOKP last night and I really do like the customize options they have. I got a couple freeze ups when using the opera web browser which made me have to force a reboot. Don't know what that was about. I'm gonna have to use it more and see. But other than that its great.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 04/11/2012, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

I use Dolphin HD Browser and haven't exp any hiccups. Also use ICS Browser+ for Hulu and both are super fast & smooth. I tried Opera for about 10 mins a few builds ago but didn't like it. Maybe I'll try it again simply to confirm your freeze up issue and post back results here.
matteebee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
I use Dolphin HD Browser and haven't exp any hiccups. Also use ICS Browser+ for Hulu and both are super fast & smooth. I tried Opera for about 10 mins a few builds ago but didn't like it. Maybe I'll try it again simply to confirm your freeze up issue and post back results here.
I've been getting used to chrome on both my desktop and my tablet. Havent had any issues with that yet. But my girlfriend likes the opera browser. Guess I got to get her to switch too. lol
Old 04/11/2012, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm giving this ANOTHER shot,(with the AOKP version this time), this will be my 3rd attempt at checking it out, it's not for a lack of trying on my part
Old 04/11/2012, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I'm giving this ANOTHER shot,(with the AOKP version this time), this will be my 3rd attempt at checking it out, it's not for a lack of trying on my part
lol. Whats been keeping you?
Old 04/11/2012, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nothing, this is my third time giving it a whirl. cm7, cm9, aokp.
Old 04/11/2012, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Whats the difference between AOKP builds and milestones?

currently using latest official nighly CM9 Builds CyanogenMod Downloads
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

yeah I definitely think dolphin hd is the better browser. I haven't tested opera yet, but compared to stock browser and Firefox, I like how you can change your user agent or whatever (I detest having websites automatically render in the mobile version). Only problem I had so far, ironically, was downloading that link above for the gapps. Dolphin kept crashing so I used stock browser to dl the file

oh I might mention I had problems installing aokp. I had to actually install moboot and cwm first and then install it via sd card. (you'll know if you're successful if you see the unicorn)
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

The directions I followed off of rootzwiki were pretty straight-forward, and to the point. No baby steps, just simple directions.
Old 04/11/2012, 09:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Nothing, this is my third time giving it a whirl. cm7, cm9, aokp.
Ahh. Well aokp definitely has more options than cyanogenmod. I'm liking it so far.

Old 04/11/2012, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

How solid is the AOKP? I am getting ready to add one or the other this weekend, so I'd like to do the right one from the start.
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 11:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
How solid is the AOKP? I am getting ready to add one or the other this weekend, so I'd like to do the right one from the start.
AOKP has been super reliable so far. Build 31 is the latest/greatest . Very customizable and webOS-like. I have been able to run it all day without any problems so far. No wifi problems, bluetooth sounds great, Pandora plays solid for hours, browsers work. Highly recommended.
Old 04/12/2012, 06:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Here is an article about AOKP
What is AOKP ROM? How Is It Different From CM9? | Know My Droid
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by foosball, Jimbode
Old 04/12/2012, 08:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
The ROM itself is just as solid as CM9. For me, not all of the tweek options seem to work yet but that's just personal customization stuff. Everything that work's in CM9 seems to work in AOKP as well.

Tags
android

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0