webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > Help! Trying to install but can't get past Step 3
Help! Trying to install but can't get past Step 3

Old 04/01/2012, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am at this step in ncinerate's guide:

Quote:
Step 3: Prepare windows to install Android.

First, you need to move your ACMEInstall2 file to a directory that you can easily find it. I suggest making a directory on the root of your hard drive for this purpose. For example:
c:\android

To do this, simply go into explorer, click on your hard drive, right click on the pane with the folders, and create a directory called android. Now drag and drop (or cut/paste) your ACMEInstall2 file into this directory.

Now, it's time to actually install CM9. Click on the start menu at the bottom left of your screen, then in the search bar (or in the start/run bar for those still using XP), type:

cmd

Now hit enter. This will bring up a black-screen terminal window. First, you're going to need to navigate to the place that you placed the ACMEInstall2 file. If you're following this guide, you do this by typing:

cd /android

Finally, we are ready to install. To do so, cut/paste the following line into your CMD terminal window:

novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2

If you've done everything right, your touchpad will go dark, then begin filling up with text as it installs the various bits and pieces to get everything working. Pat yourself on the back, the hard part is over. You still need to fix some things however, so before the touchpad boots back up, quickly begin preparing for step 4.

I'M DELIBERATELY PUTTING THE NEXT BIT OF TEXT IN ITALIC. ONLY FOLLOW THIS NEXT SECTION OF TEXT IF THE PREVIOUS ATTEMPT TO RUN NOVACOM FAILED. OTHERWISE, SKIP TO STEP 4.

If on the other hand, your computer fails to recognize the novacom command, this simply means novacom isn't properly set up for use on your computer. You can solve this by following my "get started" guide for webOS, but if you don't feel like tackling that, here is a simple way to get around the problem:

If you run into any issues, such as novacom not working (not being recognized), this simply means that novacom is not properly set up to work on your computer. You can solve this by moving the ACMEInstaller2 file to this folder:

c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc

(or WHATEVER drive your /Program Files/palm, Inc folder is in, most computers default to c:\ but yours may be different)

Then running the program from there as explained above. Hit start, and in the search box or the start/run box, type cmd, then once the terminal box comes up, type the following:

cd /Program Files/Palm, Inc

novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2

If you have issues with this, some versions of windows only recognizes backslashes, so you may have more success with -this- set of commands:

cd C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc

novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2

If you've done everything right, your touchpad will go dark, then begin filling up with text as it installs the various bits and pieces to get everything working. Pat yourself on the back, the hard part is over. You still need to fix some things however, so before the touchpad boots back up, quickly begin preparing for step 4.
Going through the first method (c: android), I get this message:
'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

So I went the alternate route, using the Palm, Inc directory. BOTH methods give me this message:
unable to find device

So I suppose I need to go into the "New Touchpad" guide (even though I've had it for a long time...I've changed computers, though...but I have installed the Quick Install and my pc recognizes the Touchpad). What specifically do I need to do to address this issue? Novacom appears to be correctly installed, but obviously something is screwy. HELP!

Last edited by j_grouchy; 04/01/2012 at 09:29 AM.
j_grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm ...117 views, yet nobody can offer a suggestion? I can see nothing wrong with the novacom installation. I've been through it several times and I've tried every alternative offered in Step 3 above and get the same results.

Is there some additional info I can provide that might help someone assist me?
Old 04/02/2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just make sure that you have a space after the two slashes, and also after the <. That's what tripped me up for a while. On some websites with the instructions, it's not easy to tell where spaces are supposed to be. Hope that helps.
jshandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshandell View Post
Just make sure that you have a space after the two slashes, and also after the <. That's what tripped me up for a while. On some websites with the instructions, it's not easy to tell where spaces are supposed to be. Hope that helps.
I did. I typed it AND I copy/pasted it directly from the instructions. I did it with and without the spaces. None of that worked.
Old 04/02/2012, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
Hmmm ...117 views, yet nobody can offer a suggestion? I can see nothing wrong with the novacom installation. I've been through it several times and I've tried every alternative offered in Step 3 above and get the same results.

Is there some additional info I can provide that might help someone assist me?
I had the same problem...I uninstalled novacom...reinstalled novacom... reinstalled webos quickinstall...restarted the computer...tried everything but didn't work. This was on my Toshiba laptop running windows xp.

Then I installed novacom/quick install on wife's HP laptop running windows 7 and tried there and it worked on the first attempt smoothly without any hiccups at all.

So I don't know what eventually made it work but switching to another computer running latest OS worked for me...not that I am saying windows xp can't handle this operation but u may wanna give shot with a different computer if u could. I am not expert when it comes to such things but if I have to guess what was causing the problem in the first place, I would guess USB ports.
dhoterchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I had the same problem...I uninstalled novacom...reinstalled novacom... reinstalled webos quickinstall...restarted the computer...tried everything but didn't work. This was on my Toshiba laptop running windows xp.

Then I installed novacom/quick install on wife's HP laptop running windows 7 and tried there and it worked on the first attempt smoothly without any hiccups at all.

So I don't know what eventually made it work but switching to another computer running latest OS worked for me...not that I am saying windows xp can't handle this operation but u may wanna give shot with a different computer if u could. I am not expert when it comes to such things but if I have to guess what was causing the problem in the first place, I would guess USB ports.
I'm on a toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit. I suppose I may try the reinstallation method with Novacom...but it's just kind of a pita really.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/07/2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should try Jason robitailles universal novacom installer. I had the same issue as you and that worked for me. Just google universal novacom installer. Its really easy to find.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bring up Novaterm. Go to Connect and see if there are any devices listed. If not, then the NovacomD driver isn't communicating with your TP. You will need to make sure that the TP is connected, that it is in Dev Mode, that it is not in USB mode when you connect the TP to your computer.
ribeyesteaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0