1.    #1  
    I was wondering whether it is better to use Apps from the Amazon marketplace versus Google when it comes to Privacy concerns. Google seems to allow the Apps in their market to force very intrusive "permissions". I do not use Google much on the web because of this, so I am hoping that using their Apps aren't opening the door to my personal data. When I originally added CM9, I used strictly Amazon. But I am finding many of the updates force you in the Google marketplace, thus the "permissions" notification. I'm beginning to think maybe I should remove CM9 and just be done with it. It drains my battery, WIFI is slow to work, and now this. Please advise...
    +1
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    +1
    Huh? I don't follow.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Permissions are not "forced" on an app by anybody - the person who made the app chooses what permissions they want. You then choose to allow these permissions when you install the app. If you compare the same app on both amazon and the play store, it will have the same permissions. The apps are not magically different (even tgough, the play store usually updates faster). Its like if you bought microsoft office at both walmart and bestbuy, there is no difference between the two.

The better thing to do is just be more careful about what apps you install in the first place. For instance, say you find a great checkers game. Say this checkers game wants access to your contacts, browser history, bookmarks, etc. Should you install this? No, because there is no reason it should need any of that.

Edit - It may also help you to read this: Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware - Android Forums

Really though, the bottom line is if you don't trust Google, then don't use an os made by them. Just like if you didn't trust Microsoft or apple, you wouldn't use windows or mac/iOS. If you didn't trust HP, you wouldn't have webos. I think you get the point.
    Last edited by whocares69; 03/17/2012 at 11:03 PM.
    To be honest there are a ton of apps on android including from big name devs including pandora and doubletwist, twitter clients as well, that request access to either "sensitive log data," "contacts" or "browse existing accounts."

They make me hesitate to download them...

But is this only because they are open about this info, or is there something inherently different about the android apps as compared to say, pandora on webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    To be honest there are a ton of apps on android including from big name devs including pandora and doubletwist, twitter clients as well, that request access to either "sensitive log data," "contacts" or "browse existing accounts."

They make me hesitate to download them...

But is this only because they are open about this info, or is there something inherently different about the android apps as compared to say, pandora on webos?
    Any app that has the facility to integrate itself with your social media activity is going to need to access those permissions. I'm sure that the same app on the other OSes does the same thing; the difference with Android is that you're told about it.

It's a good example, though. It's precisely because Plume, a Twitter account on Android, extended its permissions to include this sort of thing (and possibly swamp me with unwanted links to Facebook activity, etc) that I decided not to update it about a year ago. I'm still running perfectly acceptably with the earlier version.

Spyke
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yeah, there are a bunch of apps I haven't updated in a bit because they have new permissions or other features I'm not fond of. The old versions still chug along.

In general, the apps in say webos/iOS/etc are doing the same things, they just don't advertise that they are doing it and ask your permission first. That's why it tends to freak people out, even though its one of the bigger strengths of android..

I stand corrected on webos, but its certainly true on iOS - until recently apps even had unrestricted contact access with no notifications. And let's not even get started on the mess windows is...
    Last edited by whocares69; 03/18/2012 at 01:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    Huh? I don't follow.
    "+1" basically means that person agrees with you and seconds your sentiments.
    On webOS, apps have access to very little because Palm never came up with a global framework for granting permissions. They can't access any contacts without the user picking one at a time, and cannot read your calendars, sms, etc. Location is pretty much it, and music was added with 2.0 - both prompt you to allow access. That's why they never ask, not because it's being done in secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    On webOS, apps have access to very little because Palm never came up with a global framework for granting permissions. They can't access any contacts without the user picking one at a time, and cannot read your calendars, sms, etc. Location is pretty much it, and music was added with 2.0 - both prompt you to allow access. That's why they never ask, not because it's being done in secret.
    Thanks for that, Matt. I wasn't aware of that.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 03/18/2012 at 03:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    Really though, the bottom line is if you don't trust Google, then don't use an os made by them. Just like if you didn't trust Microsoft or apple, you wouldn't use windows or mac/iOS. If you didn't trust HP, you wouldn't have webos. I think you get the point.
    The difference is that Windows does not log everything you do on your computer and report that back to Microsoft. On the other hand, Google's new "privacy" policy is basically that you have no privacy using Google products. They will soon know everything about you from what you eat, where you shop, where you keep your mistress, what medical problems that you have, etc. They already read gmail and place ads based on your private email content.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Yet so many people still use Google services...