Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    I took the time to upgrade to CM9 from 3.0.4 and man do I love it. I'm a iPhone fire sale TPer so learning a 3rd system, didn't seem appealing to me. But it was easy and I'm so glad I did. This thing is awesome now, even just the browser is better. I'm sad I waited this long. Thanks again, and anyone on the fence, just bite the bullet.
    Couldn't agree more. I got tired of issues I had with webOS 3.0.5 and finally looked into CM9 this weekend since they said they got graphics acceleration/Netflix issue worked out. Made the switch and couldn't be happier. I still have the option of using webOS and my old applications on there but the amount of material switching to Android opened up is huge. Heck, just the web browser made it worth it
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Installed CM9 on TouchPad this weekend, and I'm in heaven. I think ICS is a better tablet OS than iOS on an iPad. Lack of use of the camera and microphone are drawbacks at this point, but for me, that's minor. Can't believe how much fun I'm having with my $99 TP. And I'm astounded that my hardware is performing BETTER on a platform it was never meant to run. Yipee !
    Quote Originally Posted by MK MD View Post
    I took the time to upgrade to CM9 from 3.0.4 and man do I love it. I'm a iPhone fire sale TPer so learning a 3rd system, didn't seem appealing to me. But it was easy and I'm so glad I did. This thing is awesome now, even just the browser is better. I'm sad I waited this long. Thanks again, and anyone on the fence, just bite the bullet.
    Early adopter, welcome to the party. This is too much fun whithout involving sex.
    I have cm9 a.2. I don't understand what you are guys are gushing about. Android sucks.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Android on a phone is doable, but Android on a tablet sucks big time, just like iOS IMHO.
    Btw, we get OpenMobile on webOS pretty soon (beta testing is about to start), so we get Android-apps running after all
    renater and kevets like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I have cm9 a.2. I don't understand what you are guys are gushing about. Android sucks.
    Most people put down their Touchpad and let it collect dust for one reason: lack of apps. There's only so much email, surfing, and youtube one can do on Touchpad in webOS. Put Android on it and viola, problem solved. Not that ICS is a better OS than webOS, but overall, it offers more and it injects new energy.

Until webOS becomes relevant (and I hope it does once Open webOS is out), Android will keep Touchpad alive.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Most people put down their Touchpad and let it collect dust for one reason: lack of apps. There's only so much email, surfing, and youtube one can do on Touchpad in webOS. Put Android on it and viola, problem solved. Not that ICS is a better OS than webOS, but overall, it offers more and it injects new energy.

Until webOS becomes relevant (and I hope it does once Open webOS is out), Android will keep Touchpad alive.
    I have no idea what you are referring to. Most people use a tablet for exactly the reasons you mentioned I think. If for some reason I wanted a serious office suite on my tablet I have one on ubuntu chroot on my touchpad. Libre office works fine on the touchpad, though I don't really tend to use it for that purpose. Not sure what else you are referring to as the only time my touchpad is booted into cm9 is when my 7 year old wants to play fruit ninja. Otherwise I think android is useless.
    Vistaus likes this.
    I just added CM9 and although Android is inferior to WebOS, it is nice to have. Added apps helps versus just a web browser , especially when it comes to news consumption. I'm hopeful there is a robust Open Source webOS coming, but CM9 fills the void adequately. One of the things I dislike is the feeling I'm waiting for CM9 to crash. Based on these and other forums, I seem to have got lucky with my install... (knock on wood).
    Otherwise I think android is useless.
    You're welcome to your opinion and to not use it. Personally, I much prefer it with Android running for the greater app selection, "native" Netflix instead of relying on Splashtop, superior web browser and other goodies.

If we're saying that most people use their tablets for surfing, e-mail and Youtube, I find the web browser, GMail client and Youtube apps on Android superior so it's worth it on those grounds alone.

But the beauty of dual-booting is that I didn't have to give anything up anyway. I haven't found an Android app yet I prefer over Comics HD for example.
    prim8 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    You're welcome to your opinion and to not use it. Personally, I much prefer it with Android running for the greater app selection, "native" Netflix instead of relying on Splashtop, superior web browser and other goodies.

If we're saying that most people use their tablets for surfing, e-mail and Youtube, I find the web browser, GMail client and Youtube apps on Android superior so it's worth it on those grounds alone.

But the beauty of dual-booting is that I didn't have to give anything up anyway. I haven't found an Android app yet I prefer over Comics HD for example.
    I have to agree, and I also agree with the comments above re: performance. CM9 really performs well on the TP. (I've never had a single crash . . . ) I'm a die-hard webOS fan, but the lack of support from devs like Netflix and LastPass is just getting really annoying. Yeah, there's a LastPass "client" for webOS, but it lacks the most convenient features of the LastPass system. Netflix using Splashtop? Again, totally annoying, because it skips in full screen. Netflix in CM9? Pretty tremendous. Maps are much, much nicer. Boots very quickly, and with Task Changer, you've got some pretty nice webOS-like multitasking.

I go back to webOS for some stuff I don't want to pay for a second time--Sparkle HD comes to mind--but I'm beginning to find it depressing to be reminded of how all that promise was completely squandered.

Believe me, I never thought I'd type those words, and as a webOS fanatic it doesn't give me much pleasure to do so. But to say Android is worthless is just silly and unproductive, I think.
    DemonHighwayman and prim8 like this.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Apps are a big part of it, particularly my hatred for webOS' native email app. My work is on Gmail, and I use a different Gmail account for personal stuff. The ICS Gmail app is a delight, and the idea of opening my laptop to check my email now seems so quaint and inefficient. Also, webOS calendar is so-so, but Android's Business Calendar app is awesome. So more apps and better apps for core functions is a big part of it for me.

Performance is another part. WebOS always felt sluggish to me. Maybe my settings were bad... ICS feels so speedy in comparison, especially with the animations turned off. No crashes yet, either.

But the OS itself is also so much better than WebOS, IMHO. WebOS allows for no customization of home screens. But now, I have separate home screens for work apps (with Widgets showing email, calendar, tasks so I can take a quick peek without even opening an app) and games/personal stuff. HP put almost no thought into customizing the user experience. Granted, ICS multitasking and app switching needs work. But that's minor compared to all the added capabilities for navigating my own tablet.

Haters can keep hating if you want. I'm sold. Thinking about switching to an ICS phone too. Pass the google kool aid. I'm drinkin'!
    DemonHighwayman and JonB74 like this.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I haven't booted into webOS in the last week since putting CM9 on my TP. I see no reason to at this point. WebOS does some cool stuff like the card stacks, but really I did nothing with it except surf the net and read news, a couple of games when I first got it.

My wifi is a bit wonky at times, but shutting it off and turning it on fixes it. More apps, great performance. Plus if I really need something in WebOS (not sure what that would be) then I can boot over to it. When/IF webOS evolves as open into something more than it is today, then I still have the best of both.

For an alpha build, CM9 is quite solid.
    I have no idea what you are referring to. Most people use a tablet for exactly the reasons you mentioned I think. If for some reason I wanted a serious office suite on my tablet I have one on ubuntu chroot on my touchpad. Libre office works fine on the touchpad, though I don't really tend to use it for that purpose. Not sure what else you are referring to as the only time my touchpad is booted into cm9 is when my 7 year old wants to play fruit ninja. Otherwise I think android is useless.
    I think you proved my point with "only time my touchpad is booted into cm9 is when my 7 year old wants to play fruit ninja." While you may not play games or use other apps that are on Android but not Touchpad, there are plenty of those who do. Netflix is a biggie that many want. I showed a Chinese co-worker with a Touchpad about CM9 ICS and he promptly installed it last weekend. Today he was gushing over the fact that now he can watch all these Chinese shows and movies b/c there's an Android app for this site. It's all about the apps man.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I'm a devoted webOS fan and have been since day one. Had a Palm Pre- and my current phone is a Pre2

Must admit that I find myself loading CM9 more and more now though. ICS is a vast improvement on Gingerbread and the app selection is obviously far superior. I mainly use my tablet for Netflix, Liveonlinefooty, TuneIn radio and playing games, none of which I can really do in webOS:

Netflix - No app in webOS
    Liveonlinefooty - Flash based streaming site but get 'Connection Failed' error in webOS
    TuneIn radio - webOS version has limited format support so can't listen to my favourite stations
    Games - Better selection in ICS

I sitll use webOS for general surfing, email, document editing and media playback but can see myself slowly using CM9 even more as newer, more stable versions get released.

webOS is still the best mobile O/S out there in terms of usabilty, but all the good stuff is let down by a lack of apps
    grappler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshandell View Post
    Apps are a big part of it, particularly my hatred for webOS' native email app. My work is on Gmail, and I use a different Gmail account for personal stuff. The ICS Gmail app is a delight, and the idea of opening my laptop to check my email now seems so quaint and inefficient. Also, webOS calendar is so-so, but Android's Business Calendar app is awesome. So more apps and better apps for core functions is a big part of it for me.
    First time I have ever seen someone say they prefer android mail client to webOS.

Anyone else feel this way, care to expand on the thoughts?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I get frustrated every time I go back into webOS. I can't type on the thing. Honestly the touch sensors is just wrong for my fingers and I make constant mistakes. On Android I don't even have to think about it, I never make mistakes. That right there is the number one reason I hate webOS. And of course the browser sucks too. I've tried many times to go back to webOS but it doesn't last too long before I say the heck with it and I'm back to Android. Android just fits me better.
    The WebOS mail app doesn't handle archived items in my Gmail well. I have a difficult time searching for saved or older mail. It's fine for reading whatever just came in but if I need to reference something older it's pretty useless. I haven't had this issue at all with the Android Gmail app.

I also agree about the Android keyboard versus the Touchpad keyboard. I was all thrilled to link my TP Bluetooth keyboard to CM9 and then haven't used it since because the Android keyboard is much more capable and accurate.

And, not a hit against WebOS since they didn't do anything "wrong" here but it's great being able to get an app from Android Marketplace or Amazon's app store and have it accessible from both my Galaxy II & my tablet. Large version for home, small version on the go for a single purchase. If I had a WebOS phone I might feel differently (assuming they also let you download to multiple devices).

Again though, the thing that really makes it is that I didn't lose anything by making the switch. Anything WebOS does better I can still access if I want it. And, like grappler, I didn't have to buy a new copy of Sparkle HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    The WebOS mail app doesn't handle archived items in my Gmail well. I have a difficult time searching for saved or older mail. It's fine for reading whatever just came in but if I need to reference something older it's pretty useless. I haven't had this issue at all with the Android Gmail app.

If I had a WebOS phone I might feel differently (assuming they also let you download to multiple devices).
    I always forget about gmail archived e-mail since I don't archive until I don't need it any more other than for archive. Some gmail features just still haven't grown on me so I don't miss them, and forget that others do.

As far as the webOS phones, same deal apps work on both devices with some exceptions (like most HD apps for example).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Oh, and the scroll in the WebOS email client doesn't work right for me. Especially if the mail contains images, I can't scroll down to the bottom of the mail. So if, for instance, Tiger Direct emails me an ad that's one big image I can't see more than the top third or so and trying to swipe it to scroll just rubberbands the image back in place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast