Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ncinerate
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    I don't have much time to flesh this out (I'll eventually add it to the main "android on the touchpad" post) but I wanted to share some other fun stuff I've been fiddling with on my touchpad.

First off - file sharing and video streaming.

Assuming you're using windows 7 like I am, it's extremely easy to set up lan sharing/streaming to the CM9 touchpad. Go into file explorer on the PC and right click on any drive/directory you care to share. It has a "share with" option. From there, go into advanced sharing and tell it to share this folder. Finally, it will have a link at the bottom under "password protection" and says to change this setting use "network and sharing center". Click on that link and make sure sharing is set up and password protected.

Now you'll need a user account to log in. Assuming you dont already have a password protected user account, make one (hit start, search for "user accounts" pick "manage other accounts" and make one with a username/password). Otherwise, you'll just log in with your existing username/password for windows 7.

Now go to your touchpad, get on the google marketplace, and download ES file explorer and MX video player.

Once in ES file explorer, at the top left theres a button that says "local" - tap on it and select lan. Do a quick search and you'll see your PC. Log into it with your username/password and you'll have immediate access to whatever drives/directories you are sharing. Simple and easy. You can copy/paste things, install apk's from your PC, and with mx video player you can tap on virtually any video file under the sun and it will play streaming from your PC. I haven't had to plug my touchpad into the PC to transfer a file in quite awhile now .

Wonderful stuff.

A second fun trick I've been using is making my touchpad into a secondary display for my main computer. I started by downloading splashtop HD. Once you have splashtop set up on the PC and the touchpad, load it up on the TP. Once you see your computer to "log into" on the right hand side there is a little arrow. Click on it and select the touchpad native resolution (1024x768). You could choose a higher resolution if you want but it's not totally necessary. Now log in.

If everything went as expected, your computer screen should change to 1024x768 and you should see it on the PC and the touchpad. Now on the computer keyboard, hit windows+p, and select "extend desktop". Once extended, right click on the background and select screen resolution. Change the second display to 1024x768 (your first display should have automaticlly reverted to it's normal resolution).

Finally, tap on your touchpad screen with 3 fingers, and select the small icon that has a "1" and a "2" in little boxes (little screens). Now your touchpad should be looking at a nice clean second desktop, while your main PC is looking at your normal resolution regular desktop. Drag a window off the right hand side of your screen and it'll automatically pop up on your touchpad for interaction. You can maximize it there and it'll look GREAT.

Once you set this up once, it's simple to use in the future. You'll simply log into the computer through splashtop, do a windows+p to extend desktop, then do the triple-tap switch screen on the touchpad (the resolutions etc will stick).

Now you can toss the touchpad next to your main monitor and use it as a small extra display. Nice for certain things (like if you want to do fullscreen photoshop work while keeping the pallet and tools off-screen).

You could do similar work with a program called "air display" that just came out, but splashtop streaming is remarkably faster and more accurate in my testing. Well worth giving it a shot. If you toss a stopwatch app up on your computer and watch it in splashtop and the windows PC monitor, you will run neck-and-neck (the PC will be a FRACTION of a second faster, but the difference is barely even visible. It's very impressive.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    dadueler likes this.
    or do exactly the same thing in the webOS splashtop, because it works there also, double finger hold to swap to monitor2, have more fun using a program such as Display Fusion Pro to enhance the desktops/wallpaper switching, window swapping between displays with hotkey/middlemouse and much more etc .

and http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-sharing.html for pc <> touchpad <> pre.x file sharing directly without a middle man or serverapp.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 02/26/2012 at 03:30 PM.
    ShiftyAxel likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    or do exactly the same thing in the webOS splashtop, because it works there also, double finger hold to swap to monitor2, have more fun using a program such as Display Fusion Pro to enhance the desktops/wallpaper switching, window swapping between displays with hotkey/middlemouse and much more etc .

and http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-sharing.html for pc <> touchpad <> pre.x file sharing directly without a middle man or serverapp.
    Haven't touched splashtop on webOS for awhile - didn't actually see that they finally added multi-monitor support. Nifty. Looks like they added it in December. I'll have to get around to checking out the new functionality in webOS. EDIT: Looking now - strangely, splashtop never displayed an "update" (I logged into the app catalog and when I went to splashtop it had the option to update there, but never showed an update as a notification). This is the main reason I hadn't see this feature was there sooner. Really strange... After a bit of testing - splashtop is terrible in webOS compared to android. There is graphical tearing as I move windows into the new monitor, clear pointer lag (it jumps, not smooth at all), and a quick stopwatch test shows it is updating significantly slower than the android version (on android, there is an almost imperceptible difference between a stopwatch on the computer and the one displayed on the touchpad, in webOS there is between a half second and full 1 second delay). For basic use this is easily acceptable, but splashtop HD on CM9 is clearly a better product if you try them both out.

I've had wifi file sharing on the webOS half of my touchpad forever now (same basic method I used for my old pre- way back in the day). Samba sharing made things even easier .

At any rate, I wanted to get my CM9 as consistent as possible with my webOS and this was a step in that direction. I'm pretty damn happy with the way things are shaping up and figured I'd share for my fellow dual boot enthusiasts .
    Last edited by ncinerate; 02/26/2012 at 04:07 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    weird, i have splashtop hd on both and on my end theres no major difference between the 2, im not sure if on android they removed the old feature where quality degrades/improves depending on your bandwidth, but i know the webOS just stays on max quality when choking.

is/was a gesture to toggle image quality..... hmm looks like that was iOS only?
    Last edited by geekpeter; 02/26/2012 at 11:38 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    weird, i have splashtop hd on both and on my end theres no major difference between the 2, im not sure if on android they removed the old feature where quality degrades/improves depending on your bandwidth, but i know the webOS just stays on max quality when choking.

is/was a gesture to toggle image quality?
    I could take a quick video of both to demonstrate - it's clearly different. I'm using the newest splashtop HD (not the SD version) on both OS's, both overclocked to 1.5ghz.

The easiest way to see a difference is just to move a window around, there is obvious graphic tearing and glitching - also the mouse is "jumping" instead of smoothly moving on webOS. Bringing up a flash stopwatch, you'll see the computer quickly runs almost a second faster (changing to a new second before the touchpad does), whereas on android they stay synced up.

It's not a huge problem, but I'm certainly getting better results out of the android version. If I was, for example, playing a game through splashtop, the android version provides a smoother experience that feels effectively lag-free.

Then there's bluetooth mouse support .

umm.. Splashtop only enables itself as a secondary monitor, if you're using the X-Display program as a client, not the Splashtop client .. so I think I'm missing something here?

Also, they broke the hell out of the X-Display program on iOS on the server update this week, and blame it on Microsoft and limitations in Windows 7.. also saying that their software has -never- worked in the fashion I use it in. So, Splashtop can go eff themselves. I will not be buying another anything from them.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    windows handles the monitors, clone<>single<>expand etc, on vista/w7 (or maybe just w7, i forget) you can press the windows key + p, one of the many shortcuts people arent aware of, such as windowskey + r to run command, windowskey + m to minimise.

Doing it the regular way may also work or via a screen manager program of some kind.
    Which version of Splashtop allows for a screen resolution of 1280 x 800?
    I have HD 1.9.8.4 and it will only go to 1280 x 720.. thus throwing all my PC (XP) desktop icons (of which there are many!) in a heap.. not enjoyable!
    The 'Use computers native display setting' doesn't seem to hit the 1280 x 800 spot either!

so.. it allows a secondary monitor, if you only have one? i'm so confused. The Expand option shouldn't even show up if you don't have multiple monitors connected.. of course, i'm probably seeing something entirely different, having 3.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    so.. it allows a secondary monitor, if you only have one? i'm so confused. The Expand option shouldn't even show up if you don't have multiple monitors connected.. of course, i'm probably seeing something entirely different, having 3.
    Yes, expand comes up with only one monitor physically plugged in, and splashtop lets you utilize that "virtual" monitor as an expanded desktop (second monitor).

I was hoping it would work as a 3rd display with 2 monitors already plugged in, but it doesn't.. I suppose it might work if I added another video card so that Windows would have a device to use for the 3rd display.
    Yeah I was hoping to use it as a third display too. Bummer.
    I only have one display, can I use my touchpad as my second display? As of now, it doesn't do anything when I hit the button. (Also: I'm on a mac.)
    **Developer of Pandora Tablet for Touchpad** (Click to Download)

@drewksparks_dev on Twitter

Devices: Palm Pre 2 and 32gb Touchpad

I'm a webOS freak, according to my mother.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewksparks View Post
    I only have one display, can I use my touchpad as my second display? As of now, it doesn't do anything when I hit the button. (Also: I'm on a mac.)
    I'm not sure if it'll work, but you should be able to set up a secondary display on your mac:

Open System Preferences and click Displays.
    Click Arrangement and follow the onscreen instructions.

Obviously the button on the touchpad (in splashtop) for the secondary monitor won't work until you actually have a "secondary" screen set-up, but with your desktop extended in this way, that button -should- theoretically show you the second desktop on your touchpad .

it should be noted that when we actually run splashtop, it actually clones your windows display and mirrors it on your touchpad/android/ipad, the app does make a virtual monitor, its just defaulted to clone, all were doing here is telling it to Extend instead of Clone. (then were using the tap/hold to swap splashtops active view to the extended display)

As long as your computer/gfx card/whatever can deal with clone/extend/etc they should all work in the normal way our OS's do this (or can be forced to do).