Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by ncinerate; 12/28/2015 at 11:05 AM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Thanks for this, it does make ics look more like webos.

I wish someone would figure out how to make the recent apps swipe away actually kill the app though
    saeedmashti likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    Thanks for this, it does make ics look more like webos.

I wish someone would figure out how to make the recent apps swipe away actually kill the app though
    You don't really need to kill apps in ICS - it tombstones them nicely and handles all of that management without issue as far as I can tell. I can't see any benefit to going any further and everyone seems to be in general consensus with this saying that app-killing task-managers are no longer necessary in newer android versions.

As it sits, this will get them out of your list of recent programs - which is plenty good enough for me.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    saeedmashti likes this.
    Sounds cool - I'll give it a try over the weekend. I think webOS really is the one to beat when it comes to the user interface, so something that makes ICS more webOS-like should be interesting.

I've heard the Playbook's UI is good too, but haven't properly tried it yet beyond picking one up for like 30 seconds in Best Buy,
    i just came here to post this.

damn you.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I did this early this morning with instructions from Make app switching closer to WebOS [SOLVED + VIDEO!] [Update: Now with High Res Thumbnails!] - RootzWiki. Really a great mod.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Interesting 'Influence'!

Nice mutation!

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Gestures and cards are what I am missing most with my Galaxy SII. While Android might now have the memory and behind the scenes management tools to keep the task list clean, it doesn't do much to manage user expectations. I don't know how many times I've been told "you just don't know how Android works" as if it's a user education problem versus a fundamental usability issue. For all of the control Android gives you it seems at odds when someone tells you "you don't need control over THAT" everything else, fine... but not THAT one thing that makes you feel comfortable or in control or work the way YOU want to.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Gestures and cards are what I am missing most with my Galaxy SII. While Android might now have the memory and behind the scenes management tools to keep the task list clean, it doesn't do much to manage user expectations. I don't know how many times I've been told "you just don't know how Android works" as if it's a user education problem versus a fundamental usability issue. For all of the control Android gives you it seems at odds when someone tells you "you don't need control over THAT" everything else, fine... but not THAT one thing that makes you feel comfortable or in control or work the way YOU want to.
    Well, this allows easy removal from your "recent" list, keeping your card-list of recent apps nice and clean. It's not giving you an option to physically kill every single app, but since this is functionally unnecessary due to the way android handles things, I don't see the issue. You are effectively "killing" them by flinging em off screen - they no long appear in the list.

Functionally, using this system appears to work in the same basic way webOS does. You use gestures from the screen edges to bring up the card view. Done with a card? Swipe it away and it's gone from the list. Want to use that app again? Go open it from the app drawer or home screen just like you would in webOS. There's a few minor differences (like some apps saving their state and coming back up as if they were still running in the background), but that's really a minor complaint.

I'm sure they could set it up to physically kill every single thing you swipe away, but the end result would be virtually identical to what I'm describing here, so, why?

There are apps that will let you manage your tasks in this way btw, if you were REALLY so inclined .

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Well, this allows easy removal from your "recent" list, keeping your card-list of recent apps nice and clean. It's not giving you an option to physically kill every single app, but since this is functionally unnecessary due to the way android handles things, I don't see the issue. You are effectively "killing" them by flinging em off screen - they no long appear in the list.

Functionally, using this system appears to work in the same basic way webOS does. You use gestures from the screen edges to bring up the card view. Done with a card? Swipe it away and it's gone from the list. Want to use that app again? Go open it from the app drawer or home screen just like you would in webOS. There's a few minor differences (like some apps saving their state and coming back up as if they were still running in the background), but that's really a minor complaint.

I'm sure they could set it up to physically kill every single thing you swipe away, but the end result would be virtually identical to what I'm describing here, so, why?

There are apps that will let you manage your tasks in this way btw, if you were REALLY so inclined .
    I'm DEFINITELY going to be trying this out.

Going with what you stated about "killing" processes, if I remember correctly even in webOS when you fling a card off it's not necessarily killing the process. It's giving it up to the task manager to determine what to do with that app based on how the app is designed. So... save state, don't save state, run in background, kill it, what-have-you is still up to the OS and the app, but it gives the user a sense of control and allows them to eliminate things from view that might be distracting.
  11.    #11  
    I'm DEFINITELY going to be trying this out.

Going with what you stated about "killing" processes, if I remember correctly even in webOS when you fling a card off it's not necessarily killing the process. It's giving it up to the task manager to determine what to do with that app based on how the app is designed. So... save state, don't save state, run in background, kill it, what-have-you is still up to the OS and the app, but it gives the user a sense of control and allows them to eliminate things from view that might be distracting.
    Makes sense, and that's what this little android hack does .

I'm loving it - I was just sitting here with a half dozen things open, flinged a few away, and went right back to editing a document I was working on. Pulled back up cardview and had my nice little shortlist of apps ready to go just like you'd expect in webOS. I agree that it's nice to have a clean and easy way to see what you're -actively- using and switch between it.

There's a few quirks - like for example if you have 2 programs open and bring up the cardview from one of them (it keeps the current window maximized and pulls the card-view up over the top of it until you choose a card). It's no big deal, it's just slightly different from what I'm used to in webOS (it minimizes the card you're in and you choose from the cards).

I couldn't see myself going back now that I have it set up - it's brilliant and likely only going to get better .

saeedmashti likes this.
    webOS works the way you do. Not Android.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Considering how often Android apps go completely unresponseive and have to be force killed, i'd say a task killer is necessary. :|
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    saeedmashti likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Considering how often Android apps go completely unresponseive and have to be force killed, i'd say a task killer is necessary. :|
    Haven't really run into this much. Had a couple of "app stopped responding stop this app?" popups here and there, but fairly minor overall...

A couple total freezes - if thats what you mean, but that seems to be a total crash of the OS and I've accepted them as par for the "alpha" course .

saeedmashti likes this.
    how do I uninstall it? tried but think il leave webOS and ICS separate
    That's awesome. I have itching thumb on my CM7 galaxy tab and it's not all that. This one looks much better. Really the difference maker is being able to swipe to bring the recent apps... no button press, no long hold, just swipe. That's the webos way.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I have mine setup with the Extra Zone Action set to Show Running. This let's you swipe down from the top and gives you a list of running apps and the ability to kill them with a long tap.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Not sure what really caused this problem. I am now having issues with my Chrome for Android browser app. It was working after I updated to CM9 Alpha 2, the I did two things...updated to the webCM9 alpha 2 mod for the webos card like multitasking, and also there was an update to the chrome browser.

So not sure what really broke it...gives me this message about it requiring a minimum version of Android 4.0 ICS. Anyone else run into this? I didn't want to go uninstalling things until I got it narrowed down, and I don't know if there is a way to roll back to a previous version of an app?

UPDATE: I restored a backup from titanium backup, the updated version does not wok with CM9.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 02/25/2012 at 05:25 PM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    The chrome update broke it. There's a fix at rootzwiki that changes the build.prop to work with the update.
    This is pretty cool!

Is there a way to move the notifications and button bar to the top like it is in webOS?

That will make the bottom zone work much better I hope.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast