1.    #1  
    Trying to figure out state of Android builds for TouchPad. I haven't taken the plunge yet. Any thoughts ? CMD Alpha 9.06 by Dalingrin seems close from but then stalled, then nightly builds of CM Tenderloin ? I am impressed by all the work the developers are doing especially Dalingrin who is still a tech student. I'm just feeling confused as to what to install . None of these builds seem entirely complete or fully stable and there seems to be a perpetual state of development by different developers. I don't know what to choose .

For me personaly Eye Fi direct mode and the ability to play AVCD files (MX player works) from my camera- Sony Nex 5N while shooting in the field is my most sought after set of functions. The TouchPad has all the hardware to do this, it's just being able to get the proper software, which is where Android comes in.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks in advance
    if your only talking about cm9/ics their all alpha, so none are complete, you just have to take whats there i their current form until those teams iron all the leftover issues out. as for the nightly builds, those are totally untested, their literally made and released as is, nothing certain, if your into testing and giving feedback then yeah go for the nightlys etc but if your just a casual / normal user then stick to the current/normal alpha public releases.
    Yes.. the testing feeds of Preware/webOSInternals also encourages 'Alpha' versions as test-only downloads/installations. It is fair to assume similar from the 'House' of CyanogenMod too therefore.

If you are interested in feeding back any glitches in the 'Nightly' Tenderloin CM9 installs.. great!
    If not then perhaps await the 'Beta'.. which gets closer every month anyway? It is likely that 'Cornerstone', once fully developed, will become integrated fully within CM9.

Quote Originally Posted by Apelles View Post
    Trying to figure out state of Android builds for TouchPad. I haven't taken the plunge yet. Any thoughts ? CMD Alpha 9.06 by Dalingrin seems close from but then stalled, then nightly builds of CM Tenderloin ? I am impressed by all the work the developers are doing especially Dalingrin who is still a tech student. I'm just feeling confused as to what to install . None of these builds seem entirely complete or fully stable and there seems to be a perpetual state of development by different developers. I don't know what to choose .

For me personaly Eye Fi direct mode and the ability to play AVCD files (MX player works) from my camera- Sony Nex 5N while shooting in the field is my most sought after set of functions. The TouchPad has all the hardware to do this, it's just being able to get the proper software, which is where Android comes in.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks in advance
    The alpha hasn't stalled, it's simply the last main release they put out there (a static release). The nightly builds are basically the most updated version of the alpha, with tons of new fixes committed. Eventually, they will hit a point where enough fixes have been put into a nightly that it justifies putting it out there as a new "official" release (another alpha or maybe even a beta). I think they are waiting on hardware acceleration of video for the beta release, and it seems they are making significant strides in that direction over the last couple of days.

So, in short, if you want the bleeding-edge, install the nightly. Be warned that because it is literally put together every night with whatever fixes they've committed that day, it MAY not be as stable as the 0.6 alpha. Sometimes a fix is committed that absolutely breaks things, and may make that "night" release a total turdbucket . Usually that is fixed by the next night, but I figured a word of warning was in order.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your answers. What have you personally chosen to instal? What build would you reccomend for someone who has never done this before ? How close are varrious developers to a stable version?

Thanks again
    Thanks for your answers. What have you personally chosen to instal? What build would you reccomend for someone who has never done this before ? How close are varrious developers to a stable version?

Thanks again

I had chosen to first install CM7 + to get used to the feel of Android on the Touchpad.. and then did a full wipe and went for CM9 A.0.6 because, deficient as it at present is, I can always fall back on my trusty webOS!

I am enjoying watching CM9 'evolve'.

CM7 rocks along just fine now.. but CM9 is/will be a lot more intuitive to use I think.. and of course was designed with 'Tablets' in mind in the first place.. unlike CM7.

I would say go with CM9 now and allow it to develop.. if you are in no big rush for perfection, it now seems stable but lacking some essential functions still. Future Updates SHOULD continue to install 'straight over the top'.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/20/2012 at 12:00 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Tthanks for your reply. Why 9 instead of 9.0.6 ? I imagine 9.0.6 would be more refined and have a few more features. Why did you chose 9.0.6 for yourself ? Trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages, I know both builds are Alpha an entail some risk.

Thanks again
    Tthanks for your reply. Why 9 instead of 9.0.6 ? I imagine 9.0.6 would be more refined and have a few more features. Why did you chose 9.0.6 for yourself ? Trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages, I know both builds are Alpha an entail some risk.

Thanks again
    He did mean 9.0.6

In short, everyone calls it CM9...this could be 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.1.123XXX, etc
    Since you arent really wanting to ticker with testing, like me at the moment, I went ahead and installed CM 9 Alpha 0.6 (AKA CM 9.0.6). It is very stable and only has limitations of the no HD video, no camera, and no hardware accelerated graphics. But for 99% of the things you would do on a tablet it is fully functional, even at an alpha stage.

IT is VERY easy to install if you follow the tutorial videos, but YES to save yourself (and everyone else here) a headache, install the CM 9.0.6 and wiat until the next public alpha or beta release to upgrade (which does in fact just install over your old version without wiping your app data.)

Good luck, and enjoy!

UPDATE: Looks like the CM9 Alpha 2 is out. Use that one instead as it fixes Netflix and some HD decoding.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 02/22/2012 at 10:39 AM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)

Thanks again

Yes.. I did actually specify CM9 A (Alpha) 0.6.. and refer to it thereafter as CM9 (as opposed to CM7!)

Anyhow at the time of writing we are now being offered CM9 Alpha 2...
    Just go for it! Ziltch 'risk' involved now if you install correctly, I reckon!

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I've installed it - most of it is fine. I do find the Wifi a bit flaky for long operations (like downloading emails).

Alan
    About the only reason for waiting for Beta now is if you insist on having a working camera for video calls/pics, haptic feedback that doesn't quit after a few minutes (vibration motor triggers gently when you type with the on-screen keyboard) audio that works 100% (for me, there's the occasional notification that sounds like a CB Radio, or a Music player that sometimes plays nothing when you remove your headphones; both are cured for a while with a restart, plus I'm not that big on music/sound), and all of the Settings pages filled in (noticed a few "Placeholders" in certain areas.)

That, and since the device isn't officially a known tablet in the Android universe, a lot of screens assume it's a phone. Setup in CM9 calls your Touchpad a phone, Google will email you when you add a Google account on your recent acquisition of a "Galaxy Nexus". Gee, thanks! (Apple does the same thing when you Hackintosh a computer, I was congratulated by Apple after registering on iTunes for buying a Mac Pro when it was my ASUS G72 Laptop kicking it on Snow Leopard.)

If you don't care about those things, CM9 Alpha does the job, go for it. For now, CM9 is it if you want Netflix Player, B&N Nook, or other Android-y apps that have zero interest in making a webOS version. If you want it as close to 100% functioning as possible from a band of merry volunteers, wait for Beta.
    Last edited by rennock; 02/24/2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rennock View Post
    About the only reason for waiting for Beta now is if you insist on having working camera, haptic feedback that doesn't quit after a few minutes (vibration motor triggers gently when you type with the on-screen keyboard) .

Ha.. 'Craptic' Feedback I call it. I reckon if you have touch sensitivity set to max then this vibrating virtual keyboard under your light fingertips causes MULTIPLE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLetters to be typed!!

I distinctly couldn't give '****' if it aint there!!

!! !!
    It's all preference really. I could care less about it, it doesn't improve typing at all realistically. (Now, if they made tablet touchscreens have a physical tactile "click" to presses like the Blackberry Storm did, then it may matter, but not at the cost of multi-touch. Plus that's a hardware thingy, not to be configured or shut off.)