Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I got my touchpad back from repair and decided to go straight ahead and put cm9 on. Installation was easy and so far, its pretty good.

My one big gripe with webos was a lack of mind mapping software. Found it in the Android marketplace..
    Video seems ok. The default browser works. Keyboard isn't as good, but the hackers keyboard will do for now.

My other touchpad is staying on webos, but this one will be for playing.

Alan
    keep installing software, it amazes me how much of the android software you install wants access to LOTS of stuff they shouldnt ever need to touch or look at, you can easily see why many games are free on android phones/tablets when their mostly there as a shiney distraction to just leech personal data from the user.

I suppose android users can be thankful that their even informed of what features the apps want access too, however their knackered not long after, as their update feature utterly ignores that security measure if the updated app adds in the dodgey stuff on a later update and its just stuffed in without your knowledge if you have auto updates on.

I tried a few apps (mostly games as thats pretty much all it was good for) a few got pinged by AV software as being malware after an update or 2, some added in heaps of surprise features i didnt want in (why a card game or news app wants access to my phone/mail/contact details is beyond me) so i ended up deleting most of what i added.

What i was left with was pretty much what i had on webOS anyways, but no better than it, so havent even bothered logging back into cm9 for q some time, the novelty factor was there for a while, but once it wore off i had no real need to go back, theres nothing "must have" on there, and if there is, it will most likely be an app only useful to inside america, as many tv/music/video apps are singularly unique to just their private domain.
    Stevesrjr86, bluenote and sorli like this.
    Actually, if an app requires a permission change, it requires a manual update. At least on CM7, on TouchPad.

I only boot to Android when my gf says "hand me a Netflix device", and my iPad is being used for development.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Actually, if an app requires a permission change, it requires a manual update. At least on CM7, on TouchPad...
    Yeah, that's still the case in CM9. You have to do a manual update if the app makes permission changes. I am amazed by all the access some of these apps want to our information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Yeah, that's still the case in CM9. You have to do a manual update if the app makes permission changes. I am amazed by all the access some of these apps want to our information.
    i had a dodgey tower defence game update and add a heap of bad mojo, then avast popped up stating it was reported as malware after its update, in fact a few apps ive had that only listed access to basics like the internet have had the odd increase of permissions after an auto-update, perhaps they werent seen as important enough to bother with a manual go-ahead.

but yeah i agree the info they want is amazing sometimes, it doesnt surprise me peoples info leaks out when they dont want to, most probably dont even look at the risks/permissions as they just want the cool app their friends have and think nothing of it, but would end up moaning quick enough once the sticky stuff hits the fan.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    So, playing for a day:

The O/S:
    It's OK. Different to WebOS. But I find it easy to use. I still try and flip apps off the screen in the webOS way. Someone should patent that before Apple does it
    Things still don't work (like the camera). But it's an Alpha... I am impressed by the stability.
    I'm running it at 1.2Ghz and it seems fast enough. I haven't found the need to change the speed yet (but I don't play games).
    Video seems OK.
    Standard Keyboard is rubbish - but the hackers keyboard works for me.

Apps:

Kindle is FAR better under WebOS. Why they stopped developing it, I don't know.
    Mindmap is only available under Android. It's the main reason for me eaven thinking about moving away.
    Lots of web browsers to play with. Opera seems to be better than WebOS. But lets wait and see what Rod & co come up with.
    Got One-Note under Android. I use that a lot on the PC, so it will be interesting to compare.
    Lots of book readers. Downloaded a couple to try.

Far too many games. I don't play games....

Onwards and Upwards....

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i had a dodgey tower defence game update and add a heap of bad mojo, then avast popped up stating it was reported as malware after its update, in fact a few apps ive had that only listed access to basics like the internet have had the odd increase of permissions after an auto-update, perhaps they werent seen as important enough to bother with a manual go-ahead.

But yeah i agree the info they want is amazing sometimes, it doesnt surprise me peoples info leaks out when they dont want to, most probably dont even look at the risks/permissions as they just want the cool app their friends have and think nothing of it, but would end up moaning quick enough once the sticky stuff hits the fan.
    Looked at android for a friend who needed a website that wasnt displaying properly in webOS in 3.04 (it doesnt display on android either). Bought a bunch of the 10 cent apps during Google Dec promotion. Was shocked at the permissions. A wallpaper, say, wanting access to my contacts?? Really??? Read with interest the Verge Story this past week about some app uploading IOS contacts to the web and how Apple is now cracking down. Read how Google was slapping 3rd party doubleclick cookies on safari desktop browsers even when 3rd party permissions were denied--seems Google knowingly exploited a vulnerability in the browser.

As for Kindle. I think the kindle app on webOS is OK but recently the Kindle ebook readers have come so far down in price (you can get one below $100) that I bought one with the free 3G. I put my ebooks and pdfs on it and can read them easily. I've gone back to borrowing library books using the ebook feature. The free 3G is slow but I figure it is for checking websites and emails when traveling and my phone hotspot does not work or I don't want to use up the battery.
    I've just installed CM9 on my wife's Touchpad and have say I'm very impressed with it. My wife mainly uses her Touchpad for Facebook and the nature apply and browser in WebOS have been struggling with the latest Facebook updates. The native browser in CM9 and Chrome both handle the website a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I've just installed CM9 on my wife's Touchpad and have say I'm very impressed with it. My wife mainly uses her Touchpad for Facebook and the nature apply and browser in WebOS have been struggling with the latest Facebook updates. The native browser in CM9 and Chrome both handle the website a lot better.
    i have to say ive not yet seen any difference speed wise for any of the android browsers over the webOS one, the only time there may be a slight noticable speed difference is because of the few android browsers that just dont have flash support, hense the speedup of not loading flash elements.

If someone runs a full flash enabled browser thats noticably faster than the webOS one, id like to know which to compare, cant say the webOS ones that bad tho that i cant wait a fraction of a second or more for stuff to load over another browser, however slow it may be it surely cant be that slow, unless some have bad wifi reception/interference.
    I wasn't talking about a speed difference, I was talking about a rendering difference. The WebOS browser is not able to correctly render the desktop version of the Facebook website, particularly when it comes to viewing photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orin12 View Post
    How is kindle better under webOS? I find it so slow I could not stand using it.
    Something must be wrong with your install. I use the Kindle app a lot. My wife uses it about 10 times as much as I do. I tried the Android Kindle tablet app. It is missing a lot of the polish and features of the webOS beta Kindle app. The Android app doesn't even have animated page turns. I showed my wife the Android Kindle app and she did not like it one bit.

CM9 is stable and looks good but missing so many features right now I find it hard to justify using it. Maybe when they fix video acceleration and the camera it would be worth while.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Orin12 View Post
    How is kindle better under webOS? I find it so slow I could not stand using it.
    That's weird; don't notice much difference between the 2. If you download a book on to your webOS partition you have to download it to the Android partition to be able to read it using both OS. To continue the ebook discussion a bit... Android has an advantage here with an app called "Overdrive" that links you to free material via your local library. Materials are available to "check out" (download) to your device for 3 wks, free of charge using your library card info. It's slightly tricky to set up but well worth looking into. Access to 25,000+ titles as well as mp3 books from my local Seattle Library network alone; most of the newer, more popular titles have a significant waiting list (what else would one expect for "free"). It's a pretty cool service not available to webOS.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have CM7, it's ok, I enjoy some of the apps, but overall I prefer Webos. What are the major quirks of CM9?
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    That's weird; don't notice much difference between the 2. If you download a book on to your webOS partition you have to download it to the Android partition to be able to read it using both OS. To continue the ebook discussion a bit... Android has an advantage here with an app called "Overdrive" that links you to free material via your local library. Materials are available to "check out" (download) to your device for 3 wks, free of charge using your library card info. It's slightly tricky to set up but well worth looking into. Access to 25,000+ titles as well as mp3 books from my local Seattle Library network alone; most of the newer, more popular titles have a significant waiting list (what else would one expect for "free"). It's a pretty cool service not available to webOS.
    Is it any different than just using the overdrive website? Yes an app would be nice but the service is still available to webOS users through the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Is it any different than just using the overdrive website? Yes an app would be nice but the service is still available to webOS users through the internet.
    I've never tried using the website on webOS but I'll try it.
    Edit: The app is easier to use since I can simply open it straight to my page most the time. Less taps =
    How do I download/read my content using the website? Very confusing as all the links send me to "compatible devices" and "software download" screens. Links or instructions would be appreciated. Sorry if this is off topic for this thread, just wanted to share one (of many) app market advantages Android has over webOS. If only there were a way to merge the two OS into one hybrid super webDroid, webOS with Android Market apps... At this point, a dual boot TP is about as close as I can get.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 02/18/2012 at 02:25 PM.
    I too think webOS Kindle Beta is better than Android Kindle, and it's beta too. I like the page turns and the 2 pages on the screen as opposed to one. Android needs a better Kindle app. But then webOS one is missing the tie-in to the dictionary, which I do use often.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    would there happen to be an android app that blocks or prevents all that intrusive data collecting etc?
    I'm guessing probably not, but I figured I'd ask
    If you install avast and go into the firewall, you can set permissions for which apps are granted web access which helps with apps you may think are a bit dodgy.

The whole kindle argument between android and webos isn't valid outside the US because only US registered devices were allowed kindle in webos. I realize it could be sideloaded but then there were problems with the availability of books that you had already paid for.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    If you install avast and go into the firewall, you can set permissions for which apps are granted web access which helps with apps you may think are a bit dodgy.

The whole kindle argument between android and webos isn't valid outside the US because only US registered devices were allowed kindle in webos. I realize it could be sideloaded but then there were problems with the availability of books that you had already paid for.
    i had access to kindle when i got mine early on, even tho i set my touchpad up as UK it gave me american market access regardless, eventually after an OTA update (and some help from HP's forums) it removed kindle from me but fixed my market issue.

However, i did manage to play/test kindle as a UK user, and tbh everything worked, even when you went to "buy" something, the app took me to amazon.com (where i had zero presence) however if i just manually edited the .com to .co.uk, everything worked, i could aquire free/paid books and kindle would pick it up, seeing as the "app" just redirected you to the website for purchases etc, but even so it still seemed to pickup my aquired books even tho i manually redirected the website.

given all that i dont see why no1 else was allowed the app tbh, it worked fine, its also a bit weird that soem prefer a pretty much limited release beta over whatever android has, is the app on android a beta or well developed time wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i had access to kindle when i got mine early on, even tho i set my touchpad up as UK it gave me american market access regardless, eventually after an OTA update (and some help from HP's forums) it removed kindle from me but fixed my market issue.

However, i did manage to play/test kindle as a UK user, and tbh everything worked, even when you went to "buy" something, the app took me to amazon.com (where i had zero presence) however if i just manually edited the .com to .co.uk, everything worked, i could aquire free/paid books and kindle would pick it up, seeing as the "app" just redirected you to the website for purchases etc, but even so it still seemed to pickup my aquired books even tho i manually redirected the website.

given all that i dont see why no1 else was allowed the app tbh, it worked fine, its also a bit weird that soem prefer a pretty much limited release beta over whatever android has, is the app on android a beta or well developed time wise?
    The android one is a full non beta version, it gets an update about once every six weeks and the last update allowed it to open pdf files. Having never been able to use the webos version I can't compare the two but I do like the android version. It just feels solid and well thought out.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast