1.    #1  
    I'm looking into the dual boot but I cant decide :/ My TP is my single most used peice of hardware. Web browsing, textbooks, reading, etc., but I just need a few more apps (of course). So what I really need to know is if the CM9 dual boot is risky. Has there been any major issues with the latest builds? Just don't want her bricked Webos will continue to be the most used, but I just need android for sometimes

P.S.: Sorry if a double post, it is just kinda hard to get what you are looking for in a bunch of posts.
    It not that stable yet but its getting there. The risk of bricking your touchpad is slim. I have it on 3 of my touchpads and its awesome and its cool when you dual boot and stuff. Go ahead and do it not really a risk if you know what you are doing.
  3.    #3  
    Is there any news on the beta or at least a newer version? In reading some more I see that .6 is a lot more stable but I think its just my lack of knowledge on The subject. Does the android partiton affect the Webos any at all?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Android doesn't effect webOS in any way other than it takes up some space on the touchpad.

0.6 is very stable, extremely so. It's still not perfect (no HD video) but it's getting damned close. It's worth installing.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Android doesn't effect webOS in any way other than it takes up some space on the touchpad.

0.6 is very stable, extremely so. It's still not perfect (no HD video) but it's getting damned close. It's worth installing.
    I agree that 0.6 is very stable. I have used many alpha versions on Linux over the years. This is one of the best. I say try it.

Here is a great group of videos for CM9:

reverendkjr's Channel - YouTube

Reverend Kyle does a good job with his videos. I have used several of his tweaks.
    Last edited by old_geekster; 02/06/2012 at 11:48 AM.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I say just go for it.

As other have said it doesn't have any impact on webOS and there's virtually no risk as long as you follow the instructions. Might seem a bit complicated at first glance but it really isn't.

Worse case scenario is you install CM9 and never use it. Alternatively you get to choose between two operating systems and have the best of both worlds
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Where is the up-to-date list of what works so far on the TouchPad with CM9 and what doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Where is the up-to-date list of what works so far on the TouchPad with CM9 and what doesn't?
    I haven't seen any list because it is a new Alpha. The best way to know what works is try it. I haven't found any apps that don't work so far.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    I installed CM9 this week end for the first time and I find it to be performing very very well in general. I don't find it to be unstable at all. I'm actually quite surprised how well it's working.

I use my tablet for 2 things: web browsing and book reading (and my wife plays solitaire)

I have wifi problems with WebOS, very annoying; I only have a weak-ish signal with Android

Browsing internet is in general a better experience with CM9 running Opera for tablets as long as you leave aside videos. I haven't found a way to watch videos at all from websites. Scrolling is smooth, display shows no quirks.

Book reading is good with both OS (although one might factor there is only one app on WebOS and it's paying whereas Android has several good free apps)

I have not rebooted to WebOS since I installed CM9 on my tablet and I almost feel bad because I like WebOS but I don't see myself going back to it unless the stock browser is fixed entirely.
  10.    #10  
    Got CM9 installed without a hitch. Only problems seem to be in wifi, extremly slow charging (no touchstone), battery drain, and netflix doesn't work all that well. The guys who put this out seem like a great group so I'm sure they will be fixed. Overall its working smoothly with no adverse effects to WebOS. However, it isn't WebOS to me, it does work very well

Quote Originally Posted by ltyarbro42 View Post
    Got CM9 installed without a hitch. Only problems seem to be in wifi, extremly slow charging (no touchstone), battery drain, and netflix doesn't work all that well. The guys who put this out seem like a great group so I'm sure they will be fixed. Overall its working smoothly with no adverse effects to WebOS. However, it isn't WebOS to me, it does work very well

Which version did you install? The first version had a slow charging issue but the subsequent ones 0.5 and 0.6 should have fixed that. Also, you are using the official HP charger in the wall outlet, right?

As an aside, I didn't buy the Touchstone at first and didn't think I needed it but ended up buying it later. I use it every day and don't regret it at all. If I go to buy another tablet I'll really be hard pressed to want to have to go back to plugging in to charge now that I am so used to the Touchstone.
  12.    #12  
    Looks like I downloaded 0.5 by mistake -_- the battery drain seems to be apparent on the WebOS side too. Will the update fix this?

I just finished updating from CM9 Alpha 0.6 and I love it. It has a few quirks, but the updates are getting easier to apply and even my CM7 original install went pretty pain free if you can follow instructions and read up if and when things go wrong.

For instance, I initially installed CM7 update that killed my Moboot process and later found out that their was a problem that was resolved in a fix. So my recommendation, if you don't like to experiment and fix problems when they arise, stay away from Alpha builds of anything and at least wait for Beta to arrive.

Biggest problems referenced already with Alpha 0.6 relate to WIFI, HD Video Playback (no hardware support), and other minor inconveniences. For me, I can work around the WIFI problems, live without HD video for Youtube playback, and can always boot into webOS if I need something Android does not have.

Also note, I changed my build props since many Android games don't recognize TouchPad or Tenderloin (code name) and report incomparable. YouTube has some great videos on doing these updates for both new and old users of Android and doing more complicated stuff like editing Build.prop files to play more games. If this stuff is not important to you, then just do the latest 0.6 install and go with what it provides native. Sorli...
    I'm looking into the dual boot but I cant decide :/ My TP is my single most used peice of hardware. Web browsing, textbooks, reading, etc., but I just need a few more apps (of course). So what I really need to know is if the CM9 dual boot is risky. Has there been any major issues with the latest builds? Just don't want her bricked Webos will continue to be the most used, but I just need android for sometimes

P.S.: Sorry if a double post, it is just kinda hard to get what you are looking for in a bunch of posts.
    The only real risk is hearing someone in public yelling WHY to you to find he/she is a webOS fan boy/girl.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  15.    #15  
    Update to 0.6 was very simple. To early to tell about battery life though. It does seem to be charging fine.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I just bought my TP a week ago at 299USD, 32gb. After 3 days of working with the webos, I got bored and wanted to try android. I was in the same boat as you. The steps are really easy to follow. It wont take you 15mins. CM9 is stable. Camera,mic and some small issues. Nothing to worry about. The games work. Gta 3 works. Apps work. Market place work. You can install and run app files from your file browser like an exe from a pc.
    I find ICS faster at times than webos but eats more battery and charging is slower.
    Wifi is good in my unit. Not an issue. If you want to play youtube vids, just uncheck HQ.

Your webos files / system wont get affected.

In case you brick it, you can run webos doctor.

Last edited by acsian; 02/09/2012 at 01:03 AM.
  17.    #17  
    With the 0.6 update battery is somewhat better but not entirely fixed. Charging is back where it should be but the drain seems to counter this. With WebOS it drained about 3-4% per hour with extensive use, but ICS drains 10% per hour with moderate use. Are there any known fixes for this and video in Netflix?