Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    I tried CM7 and I'm not sure what it was about it, but it didn't "grab" me at all. Having not really used a lot of apps over the last couple of years, entering the Market was overwhelming to say the least. I had done some looking around online at sites such as AppBrain, to preview apps, and again overwhelmed, but getting some ideas as to what was out there.

I remembered something about BT controllers for emulators, and found Sixaxis($2) so I could use one of my PS3 controllers with my TouchPad. I've spent more money on worse apps ....case in point, RemoteWin. Complete waste of $9.99 for something that barely worked, and really... it didn't.

CM9A0 is quite a bit better, esthetically at least, than CM7A3.5. I'm pretty new at the whole thing, I really haven't put a whole lot of time into it.

Just some points, mainly things that I'm missing, that I've noticed with CM9/7/Android in general.

First off, Just Type. Maybe there's an Android equivalent, but I haven't found it yet. I can't believe how good that really is, especially when you use it as often as I do.

Email. Android side(stock), it isn't bad. I think I prefer the webOS side better. Some differences worth noting. I had an email from eBay regarding a Veer I bought. In the email, there was a tracking number. Both Android and webOS show that as a hyper-link. ONLY webOS let's you select the text as is, and copy/paste it into the USPS tracking box.(Android will let you select, but it is the actual http;//blablablaDOTcom

(The problem with just hitting the link, is then it wants you to log into your eBay account first before it goes any further. All my passwords are stored in SecuStore, and that makes it pretty hard to get the password when you're in Android. Simply copying the tracking number, going to the USPS site and pasting it in requires no login.)

Another issue with email, in webOS, I can pinch-zoom no problem. Android, no zoom at all. Not a deal breaker for some, I'm sure, but found that odd that you couldn't do that.

App switching is a little different, mini cards show up on the left in a column. It's ok, but I prefer webOS multitasking more.

Speaking of multitasking, I found Wave Launcher in the Market. I read 5 star review after 5 star review after 5 star review. It actually took me a long time to start finding reviews with people commenting how similar it was to their webOS phones. While Palm had a great idea, whoever made that app took it a step further... Basic 5 icons pop up and when you pick one, that branches off into 5 more. Think of a wave launcher with 25 shortcuts. I think Palm nailed that one.

I think I will play around with this version of Android more than the last.

I also think I will use my webOS side of things just as much. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

I forgot about upswipe gestures. Another thing that I'm constanly doing on the Android side of things.

Couple more points I thought of.....

The browser issues that people have. Personally I think Android is overrated, webOS Browser works 99% of the time for me, in fact I can't remember ANY time that it hasn't worked for me.

Keyboard... not sure why people don't like the webOS keyboard, I think it's far superior to Android's stock keyboard.

Font... people don't like webOS font....they call it ugly. The font in Android seems a little plain to me.

Just my observations, not picking any fights. To each their own.
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/25/2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    fxspec06, Rnp, jc-Treo and 3 others like this.
    a lot of my sentiments are similar. webos keyboard better by far. browser is meh on android. lots of applications on droid don't register taps properly. lot of android apps are plain and boring, more of the same to me. android has lots of visual glitter everywhere which is nice, but none of it offer added or enhanced functionality. i find apps open in the 'recent apps' list that i have never opened and can't seem to close, annoying.

a lot of the apps on webos just feel more useful to me

maybe my opinion would change if android had REAL cards. who knows
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Agree completely. Android is pretty overrated and gets way more credit then it deserves especially when compared to webOS. I wrote a quick blip about CM9 and what I like and did not like over on WebOSRoudup, but many many features of webOS are simply being copied or transposed into Android (thanks former webOS developers). I don't really have a problem with this since I use both CM9 and webOS, but I certainly dislike Android getting all the credit for something they did not come up with first.

I also miss gestures and try this all the time on my Droid Bionic and TP now running CM9. Thankfully this is happening less and I guess you can get used to anything. Either way, CM9 will make a huge difference when it comes to interfacing on the TP especially when the Homebrew community gets it just right. I love what they do and wish I could help more programming wise.

The biggest thumbs up for me with CM9 and Android in general relates to App Selection. You can't deny having access to most everything. WebOS and the TP is great and has most everything I need (SplashTop, browsing, mail) is no better on Android and in a bunch of ways pales in comparison. CM9 is a huge step forward and as soon as the bugs are worked out...I can certainly see using it more often. Sorli...
    fxspec06 and Rnp like this.
    one thing that REALLY freaking bugs me about android is the complete and total lack of quality twitter apps

on webos there are numerous adequate twitter apps

yet on android there are zero that satisfy me

i like plume, but it is slow and clunky
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

For the most part, I do agree with everything that's been stated.

But, one of the biggest draws for me is a Nook app in Android. I've got a Nook Simple Touch and my wife has a "Classic" (Don't recall the proper name for it) which are B&W readers. These readers are great for books, but for magazines, the Android Nook app is very nice.

Of course, I'm still exploring Android myself, so there will proabably be more that I find.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Here is my opinion also on this issue.
    webOS user for over 2 years (launch day for Sprint Pre)
    Android user (first time) since December as my son got a C71 Android 2.3 (now 4.0) tablet and I have been using CM9 since launch.

1) I still have it boot webOS by default as the elegance of the OS and the apps it does have are far superior to equivalent ones in Android.
    2) Keybaords: Android keybaord is a flat design allowing for fast UI interfacing (keys change colors when pressed, no down animations), but it is always to big and in the way. Tab key only works half the time on website fields that webOS handles perfectly.
    3) Multitasking in webOS is still top dog. Android implementation is still too many taps an swipes to clear. Plus try closing Pandora in Android...you cant! without reopening the app and in the app menu tell ti to shut down.
    4) Live Wallpaper and Widgets are great and all, but to me it looks like clutter. Pluse with cards in webOS you have your "widgets" always there.

Android ICS (4.0) has Matius Duarte (and webOS aspects) written all over it and it shows, but he had to get soemthing out the gate and fast. So the webOS-like implementations were put in where it would fit in the current Android structure...thus still not that great, but better than nothing.

So on a percent basis I boot webOS 80% of the time, Android 20%. Why? I boot Android just to tinker with the newness of CM9, tweak stuff on my tab so when I put on my son's tab I know how it works already, since I put everything of his into Famigo Sandbox (kid software etc). Some games occasionally that I dont have, but nothing major.

So YES...Android OVERRATED, webOS still KING in my book. So someone please build some damn good/new phone hardware!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    i dislike using the android ICS/OS as a whole, it still feels like im wrestling with it just to do simple things you can on webOS, its just not "simple" to navigate/operate, the only thign ICS has over webOS as always is apps, nothing more, nothing less.

Ive tried CM9/ICS, and after a fair few days of using it, i still dislike it over webOS, i only jump on it to play the odd game i cant get on webOS, thats about as "good" as ICS gets over webOS.

It will be no different for others at a guess, only instead of a game collection it will be Netflix or some other obscure app that they need/want, and many of these users will slate webOS, the operating system as a whole as BAD because the 1-2 apps they so desperatly need on android arent on webOS.

I like using the superior/simple/easy OS that is webOS even tho it has less apps than android, just like my family's android phones, ICS/CM9 just feels like i have to faff around so much to achieve very little, also now ive had a better look at the apps on the market i cant say theres many apps i actually need or want, ive been deliberatly looking for apps of interest and tbh the ones i found i could easily live without.

Also androids widgets and live wallpapers just look like a gimmick of no real interest, needless eye candy of little practical use.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    For the most part, I do agree with everything that's been stated.

But, one of the biggest draws for me is a Nook app in Android. I've got a Nook Simple Touch and my wife has a "Classic" (Don't recall the proper name for it) which are B&W readers. These readers are great for books, but for magazines, the Android Nook app is very nice.

Of course, I'm still exploring Android myself, so there will proabably be more that I find.
    Could you check for me if the Adam Carolla color e-book Rich Man Poor Man is available in the nook app? We have a B&W Nook, and the book is only available for Kindle Fire and supposidly iOS kindle app, but it doesn't recognize the webOS kindle app as compatible. If I can get it in Android Nook app, I will probably load CM9 on my dev TP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I also think that webOS is more elegant that CM9, but I do find some of the comments above odd.

Widgets/live wallpapers:

Since these are entirely optional, and can be ignored if you don't have a use for them, or don't find them attractive, we can't claim that Android is less elegant than webOS simply because they exist. You can easily create a desktop in CM9 that's as minimalist as that in the Touchpad's webOS - choose a subtle wallpaper and put a row of your favourite icons across the bottom.

Clearing apps taking "more taps and swipes":

webOS: 1) swipe up (or press home button) to get to card view, 2) swipe up to clear.
    CM9: 1) press home button, 2) press recent apps button next to it, 3) swipe to clear.

So, CM9 takes one more tap. But unlike in webOS an app that is 'bothering you' isn't in full view in your card list. What I find tends to happen with CM9 is that I simply hit the home button to leave an app, and then in due course, when I open the recent apps list anyway, I swipe away a few that I know I don't need anymore. The result, of course, is that my apps are often opening much more quickly when I need them.

Spyke
    What bothers me about Android isn't the extra tap, it's the whole system in general. I very much dislike tapping on the screen to see my "open" apps... I much rather click the 'home' button from the home screen to bring them up, and I much rather visualize via a large preview ala webos style. The list on the left is just BLAH to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    What bothers me about Android isn't the extra tap, it's the whole system in general. I very much dislike tapping on the screen to see my "open" apps... I much rather click the 'home' button from the home screen to bring them up, and I much rather visualize via a large preview ala webos style. The list on the left is just BLAH to me.
    I completely agree with you about the large preview (and of course the fact that in webOS you can have multiple cards nested; multiple PDFs open, for instance); as I said above, I find webOS more elegant.

Whether a user wants the running apps visible at all times on the home screen, is, of course, a matter of personal preference, as you say.

But I don't quite follow you on the recent apps issue. You like to click on the 'home' button to bring them up. Yet, anywhere in CM9 you just have to click on the 'recent apps' button. Surely this is functionally the same?

Spyke
    I think a lot of the resistance to using ICS has more to do with unfamiliarity than it does with ICS being clunky and hard to use. I use OS X and my fiance uses Windows 7. When I have to use her computer, I feel like pounding my head against the keyboard, whereas she moves around it like a pro. Conversely, when she sits down to use my computer, she hates it.

I bet I can fly around ICS just as easily as you could webOS because I've been using Android for a couple of years now.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    I have CM9 on TP now. I have a Pre- as well. And Galaxy Tab 7 on CM7. To be honest, so far, I'm underwhelmed with ICS. The whole multi-tasking list blows in comparison with the ease of true multi-tasking and ability to switch from app to app that we all love on webOS and infact it's nothing more than a recently opened apps list that you can scroll up and down and swipe, but then swiping doesn't necessarily truly kill the app (as in release it from memory) but it just removes it from that list. It ain't the same.

I'm watching a show on Ustream on Touchpad ICS and I want to switch over to email. I switch over and Ustream stops playing. I check email. Then I go back to Ustream and I have to reload the whole thing and start it over. Same for any kind of podcasts. It ain't the same. In a way, I feel getting into Android system menu is less intuitive on ICS than Gingerbread... if that's even possible.

I was expecting a bit more since it's the first work from Matias over at Google but maybe we'll have to give him more time.

It still feels very much like android in that clunky way.

That said.... APPS APPS APPS!!!!!!!! You just cannot take away the enormity of having just about every app you cared for, whether it's the 1002nd fart app or Netflix. Or Ustream.

Side note: I don't understand why google can't just include the NUM row on the keyboard like touchpad's. It gets annoying having to shift into it all the time.
    Last edited by laoh; 01/25/2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I was expecting a bit more since it's the first work from Matias over at Google but maybe we'll have to give him more time.

It still feels very much like android in that clunky way.

That said.... APPS APPS APPS!!!!!!!! You just cannot take away the enormity of having just about every app you cared for, whether it's the 1002nd fart app or Netflix. Or Ustream.

Side note: I don't understand why google can't just include the NUM row on the keyboard like touchpad's. It gets annoying having to shift into it all the time.
    I agree, I was expecting more being that Matias Duarte was there...guess I need to give him more time.

On the app front: I have to disagree. From my experience with looking at the iOS, Android, and webOS app "stores" the more apps, the more crap. Android has like 10 times the number of apps as webOS BUT I could only find a handful I cared to have that webOS didnt, and they were all cheap addicting games. The apps I wanted and still cant find: Dish Network for multiple reasons, and Blockbuster to manage between my Movie pass with Dish...go figure.

And the keyboard without a number rows is wierd now. Plus if you notice there is a key for ABC, a key for 123, and when in the 123 section the ABC key turns into a symbol key. I always end up spending more time trying to get back to the original keybaord layout....holy crap...

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I have CM9 on TP now. I have a Pre- as well. And Galaxy Tab 7 on CM7. To be honest, so far, I'm underwhelmed with ICS. The whole multi-tasking list blows in comparison with the ease of true multi-tasking and ability to switch from app to app that we all love on webOS and infact it's nothing more than a recently opened apps list that you can scroll up and down and swipe, but then swiping doesn't necessarily truly kill the app (as in release it from memory) but it just removes it from that list. It ain't the same.
    Well, yes and no. I've just done some testing with the apps I use regularly and swiping to clear from the recent apps list. I've started each app and then watched what happens in the Settings > Apps > Running screen (switching between Show Running Processes and Show Cached Processes), which gives the memory used by each app.

All but two of my test apps cleared from memory immediately when swiped away from the recent apps list. One which didn't, Napster, was actively playing music at the time. Swiping the app out of the recent apps list stopped playback, so it effectively 'parked' the app. However, the service immediately showed as 'Restarting' in the list: it looks as though Napster has coded the app to restart so that it remains available in the background. (The process then switched from 'Running' to 'Cached'.)

This also happened with Google Docs.

The other apps all stopped and cleared from memory when swiped from the recent apps list. These were: Dolphin Browser, YouTube, ezPDF, Kindle, Comixology, Calculator, Gallery, GMail, and Calendar (the calendar app itself went, but it left a separate process called 'Storage' cached in memory).

So, it looks as though certain apps are coded to remain available, but the majority (at least in my case) do get shut down and removed on swiping.

I'm watching a show on Ustream on Touchpad ICS and I want to switch over to email. I switch over and Ustream stops playing. I check email. Then I go back to Ustream and I have to reload the whole thing and start it over. Same for any kind of podcasts. It ain't the same.
    I don't have Ustream, but if I'm using YouTube on CM9 the video stops when I switch to email and when I go back to YouTube and hit play the video begins from where I left it. I don't have to reload it and start over. Perhaps it depends on the app?

It gets annoying having to shift into it all the time.
    I see the numbers in black along the top QWERTY row of the keyboard, and a long press gets the number rather than the letter. This is on Alpha 0.5. It may have been different in Alpha 0?

Spyke
    I will say that webOS multitasking rules the roost.

I mean, I can have multiple stacks of things open, a browser with research, three pdfs, a handful of documents, etc etc etc. Then I simply swipe up and sort through them easily.

It's almost like it's emulated the "desk" system. What I mean by that is, if I was doing research with real paper on my DESK, I'd have little stacks of things and could pretty easily swap between them. That's what webOS gives me, and it really is great. I swipe up, I swipe back and forth spreading the stacks or picking things out of them. Not just easy and intuitive, totally natural. When I'm done with it, I fling it straight off the desk and it's gone. It just works.

It's better than any multitaking I've ever personally used. It beats windows taskbar, it blows apple away, and android is a poor implementation.

I know android multitasks reasonably well, but it isn't the same and we all know it. I'm hoping that the newfound webOS influence on android will bring with it a change to webOS-like multitasking. Might be difficult due to patent issues, no idea... Maybe with webOS going open source those ideas can be transferred over to other systems.

All that said - I use android and will use android quite a bit, it simply has apps/uses that webOS can't match at the present time. The app gap isn't likely to get any smaller. PDF reading is better, netflix (when it is finally supported in CM9) will be great, gaming options are nice, splashtop is faster, HD adobe apps are nice (if you crank your dps to 120 you can run adobe photoshop touch and it's quite nice). I find CM9 to be quite a bit nicer to use than CM7 and I could easily see myself using it as my core OS once they knock out all the kinks. Yeah, webOS is great, but it's only a minute away if I feel like casually using it and android (properly bug-free) will do everything I really want out of a tablet.

For now of course, my touchpad is sitting here in webOS and that's just fine.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I will say that webOS multitasking rules the roost.

I mean, I can have multiple stacks of things open, a browser with research, three pdfs, a handful of documents, etc etc etc. Then I simply swipe up and sort through them easily.
    I totally agree. It's when you're handling documents, rather than just apps, that webOS' multi-tasking really comes into its own. Brilliant.

Spyke
    Now that I put ICS on my Touchpad, I really don't have a reason to go back to WebOS. I'm hoping at some point CyanogenMod Team will allow you to get rid the WebOS partition.

For the people having issues then saying ICS isn't good, this is a alpha version of the software that runs on foreign hardware. If you're using a Galaxy Nexus, you're ICS experience will be much better.

For those that don't like the keyboard, you may want to try Smart Keyboard Pro or Swiftkey X Tablet version. I really have to disagree with those that say WebOS keyboard is better. Strongly disagree. I feel the WebOS keyboard is clunky and not intuitive.
    Not sure if you have tried it, but I have had good experience with UStream in the webOS browsers. Surely not as ease of use as the app, but it runs flawlessly.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I guess what I was really hoping for was ICS to have a good workflow. It's not just about "can ICS handle multitasking as well as webOS?" But it's mroe about "what is the workflow to multitasking?" The latter point for me is huge. It's just so clunky trying to switch back and forth from an app.

The way multitasking is implemented is also problematic... I'm not sure if Android is a "true" multitasker vs freeze/park state like Windows phones but I'll give you a real world example. I'm watching youtube on ICS... an hourlong videocast from Sydney at Phonedog. I don't necessarily need to watch it but want to listen to it. As soon as I switch out of youtube to another app, it stops playing so I can't hear the dialogue. That's not really useful.

I'm sure Android will continue to improve, esp with Matias there. I'd have a hard time believing he's totally happy with ICS. It was probably a mix of things he really fought for and a bunch of compromises. But with each newer version, I think we'll see more of his fingerprint.

As for the keyboard, caps lock is long pressing the shift button. Seriously, Android needs to just eradicate long presses from the OS.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast