Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

To each his own though. I find the inability of some of Android's browsers to open a real web page instead of the mobile one by default to be highly annoying. I downloaded Chrome for Android and I can't figure out how to make it open real websites. Maybe someone can give me a hand with that. I would also like for the default browser in Android to do the same.

Both Dolphin and Firefox allow for this.

Additionally, this function is built into the native browser. You need to access the menu. In portrait or landscape, if you swipe from the lower corner of the screen, you get a set of options. One of which is "Request desktop site." I believe the native browser does it on a per website basis. With Dolphin or Firefox, you set it once and it does it for all.
    In Honeycomb's native browser main settings, you can change the user agent to display desktop versions of all sites. I can't imagine it'd be different for the ICS browser.

But Chrome, yeah, no way to do it yet, a big oversight on Google's part. It'll come with enough user feedback, and my guess is that Google has been hit with a lot of it regarding the user agent string toggle.
    I have Android on my phone and it requires a Google account - does the same thing exist for the Android ports to the Touchpad and other tablets?

With Google changing it's privacy policy (effective March 1st) it seems that webOS might have another "up" against Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M15 View Post
    I have Android on my phone and it requires a Google account - does the same thing exist for the Android ports to the Touchpad and other tablets?

With Google changing it's privacy policy (effective March 1st) it seems that webOS might have another "up" against Android?
    Yes, Android devices, including the Touchpad with CM9, are tied to a specific Google account, in a similar way to the way webOS devices are registered to a webOS account. This is generally a good thing as it opens the door to a whole flood of functionality.

I'm actually fine with the idea of a unified privacy policy from Google, though I'm glad the European authorities are going through the proposal with a fine tooth comb.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M15 View Post
    Android does not require a Google account, but to get the full benefit of Android (mainly the Market and all the built-in integration), it's highly recommended. During setup, you can skip the step about signing into Google or creating an account. You could theoretically live off the Google grid by just downloading all of your apps via the Amazon store.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    During setup, you can skip the step about signing into Google or creating an account.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, sorry for being misleading in my previous post.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Both Dolphin and Firefox allow for this.

Additionally, this function is built into the native browser. You need to access the menu. In portrait or landscape, if you swipe from the lower corner of the screen, you get a set of options. One of which is "Request desktop site." I believe the native browser does it on a per website basis. With Dolphin or Firefox, you set it once and it does it for all.
    barry,

I already use Dolphin HD. I think I've mentioned it a few times here. I don't use Firefox because of the lack of Flash. If I wanted a flashless browser I would have bought an iPad.

The new Chrome Browser and the Android native browser don't give you the option for "desktop only". I think we are talking around each other on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    In Honeycomb's native browser main settings, you can change the user agent to display desktop versions of all sites. I can't imagine it'd be different for the ICS browser.

But Chrome, yeah, no way to do it yet, a big oversight on Google's part. It'll come with enough user feedback, and my guess is that Google has been hit with a lot of it regarding the user agent string toggle.
    It's different in ICS for some reason. You can only request the desktop version of the website AFTER the page has loaded. This is completely annoying.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    barry,

I already use Dolphin HD. I think I've mentioned it a few times here. I don't use Firefox because of the lack of Flash. If I wanted a flashless browser I would have bought an iPad.
    Yeah, Dolphin you can switch it to view websites as regular, instead of mobile. On the issues you were having with Dolphin being able to open links, you just have to press the link longer to open. They did this so you don't accidentally hit links and become frustrated. I appreciate this so I don't accidentally keep opening up pages I didn't mean to.

On the flashless browser, I agree but WebOS is getting closer and closer to becoming a flashless browser with many sites requiring the update for Flash that every single other mobile OS has received except for WebOS(of course IOS doesn't have Flash).
    It's different in ICS for some reason. You can only request the desktop version of the website AFTER the page has loaded. This is completely annoying.
    Yeah, that *is* goofy. Maybe my Transformer has a modified stock browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Having CM7, CM9, iOS on Tablet and Pod, and webOS on phone and tablet, I can pretty much say, that for me, without a doubt, the webOS virtual keyboard on tablet beats the crap out of the others for layout. iOS beats up on it in accuracy, but the spell correction on webOS beats the crap out of iOS's too.
    I *much* prefer the Swipe or SlideIT keyboard on Android.

It is something that I really miss on my Touchpad and iphone.

Hate pecking away at the keyboard. So much faster to Swype/Slideit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    I *much* prefer the Swipe or SlideIT keyboard on Android.

It is something that I really miss on my Touchpad and iphone.

Hate pecking away at the keyboard. So much faster to Swype/Slideit.

Yes.. 'SlideIT' + '3D' or 'Precious Silver' Skin is really nice.. and doesn't seem to skip/glitch like the original Android (CM9 V.0.6) did!

Thanks for the rcommendation!
    ICS browser for CM9 in the market really rocks with tabbed browsing. Just need to get HW acceleration and sound quality fixed.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678