Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Laoh, I believe there is a crappy looking one called " The Hacker's Keyboard" that has a numbers row. I have not found a good looking one with themes that has the number's row yet.
    That answers my question too then.

Yup, it doesn't look great, but I guess it's partly drawn that way because it's scaleable to exactly the size you want it in 5% increments - remembering your preference in both portrait and landscape.

When I first loaded it I thought 'meh', not pretty, but soon found myself using it all the time. It has the things that are missing for me in SwiftKey or the Smart keyboard (Tab key, cursor keys, separate number row, Ctrl that works the way you'd expect with the cursor keys to jump back and forward by word, etc.).

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    That answers my question too then.

Yup, it doesn't look great, but I guess it's partly drawn that way because it's scaleable to exactly the size you want it in 5% increments - remembering your preference in both portrait and landscape.

When I first loaded it I thought 'meh', not pretty, but soon found myself using it all the time. It has the things that are missing for me in SwiftKey or the Smart keyboard (Tab key, cursor keys, separate number row, Ctrl that works the way you'd expect with the cursor keys to jump back and forward by word, etc.).

Spyke
    I agree with you on the functionality of the Hacker's Keyboard. It is the closest thing to the webOS keyboard that you are going to get on Android. The problem I had with it was that it was poorly drawn and the look and feel of it contrasted with everything else. The webOS keyboard looks better, goes with everything on the system, and has the same functionality.
    I'll throw in my 2 cents here. Yes, webOS is nice and elegant and has a great work flow and the card UI really rocks. That being said, the browser sucks big time and there are no alternatives. There are many times i can't download something because I'll try and it saves a file real quick and then when i go to open it, it says it can't open a mime type file. Well it was a zip i was downloading. Useless. Try downloading a file from goo-inside.me and you'll see what I mean. What good is a tablet if i can't download something? There are no options on the browser at all. And there are no alternative browsers.

About the keyboard. I get frustrated typing on the webOS keyboard and i make many typing mistakes. The auto-correct is terrible. I never make a mistake typing on Android. Its like night and day to me.

There are too many great apps for Android that just simply blow away any webOS apps. I travel a lot so i like to read things offline. Try Google Currents and Pulse News. Excellent offline readers. Quickpic is the best photo viewer i have seen and fast. MX video player plays any video i throw at it and much quicker and intuitive then Kalemsoft's player which i wasted $5 on. Then there is google books, excellent. Ebuddy for chatting on facebook, MSN and many other chat clients. You can't even facebook chat on webOS, ridiculous. Mint android app is fantastic. Browsing mint.com on the webOS browser is bad. ING Direct app and other bank apps is much faster than doing it through the webOS browser. Gee i can even read the maps app offline (whatever is cached) in android. Try that on the POS bing maps app on webOS. Oh yeah, Netflix, Crackle and a genuine youtube app. I could go on but you get my drift.

Android can feel cluttered sometime but its up to you to keep in uncluttered. But every time I go back to using webOS I get frustrated and think what a POS it is. If it had an alternative browser and was easy to type on and had the apps android has, then yes i would love it. But it doesn't so once they find a way to get rid of the webOS user space partition it will be gone gone gone.
    Well here... there are some parts of webOS that trumps ICS, mainly multitasking and cards. There are parts of Android that eats webOS for breakfast. Apps, apps, apps, choices, choices, choices.

Right now, I find myself going back and forth between webOS and CM9 to do the things I want to do. webOS for really everything minus those things I can't do b/c the app does not exist; at that point, I switch over to CM9. Maybe as CM9 gets more mature, I'll use it more. Or when Open webOS brings some long awaited (and hoped) changes, I'll go back to it more.

I don't think you have to choose one or the other. Do whatever you want to do with it. Fortunately, we have that choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents here. Yes, webOS is nice and elegant and has a great work flow and the card UI really rocks. That being said, the browser sucks big time and there are no alternatives. There are many times i can't download something because I'll try and it saves a file real quick and then when i go to open it, it says it can't open a mime type file. Well it was a zip i was downloading. Useless. Try downloading a file from goo-inside.me and you'll see what I mean. What good is a tablet if i can't download something? There are no options on the browser at all. And there are no alternative browsers.
    There is an alternative browser.

Your problem is not having the right tools. No browser on any platform can open a zip without an unzip program (yes I know some OS's have unzip as part of the build). There is no unzip program in webOS in default built at this time (we will see what happens with OS). The majority of the "MIME" errors is someone trying to get the browser to do something it was never programmed to handle.

I have yet to find a file that I attempted to download that was of a supported file type that would not open using the proper method. Personally I use Internalz for maintaining my downloaded content (Gemini could also be used and I believe at least one other program), this is ideal for me because it allows me to see and manage all file types (will be even better when Internalz HD releases).

Archive manager will work for your unzipping needs.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    There is an alternative browser.
    Advanced Browser? Cmon, that basically the stock browser. It's crapola I tell ya lol.
    Advanced Browser? Cmon, that basically the stock browser. It's crapola I tell ya lol.
    I use it as my default for everything haven't had any problems with it.

Either way the main gripe with the browser in the post I was responding to was the MIME error, which in his example is not a function the browser itself can do (unzip a file).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Can't we just... get along...?
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Can't we just... get along...?
    lol...I'm just edgy because my tp is on the way to the HP shop for crack fix..hehe
    I agree with OldSchoolVWLover, no browser can open a file with an extension it doesn't recognise. WebOS default browser is no exception. I think the issue lies with the fact that the browser tries to open the file for you instead of just downloading it. The webOS browser takes that one extra step and when the file is not supported you get the mime error. I wish I knew a way to set the default app for an extension in the OS so the browser would know which app to launch. You can do that on desktop browsers.

To each his own though. I find the inability of some of Android's browsers to open a real web page instead of the mobile one by default to be highly annoying. I downloaded Chrome for Android and I can't figure out how to make it open real websites. Maybe someone can give me a hand with that. I would also like for the default browser in Android to do the same.

I don't like the lack of choice in browsers in webOS just like everyone else doesn't but the browsers we do have seem to hold their own. I find myself back in webOS for browsing along with other things.

I wish we had Pulse. Someone from the Pulse team actually responded to our requests and visited the forum, but did not give any details on whether or not they would actually make a webOS app.

Well I discovered two things today. 1) There is a new touch screen driver for CM9 available. I hope it fixes the issues I've been having with selecting links in Dolphin HD. 2) The new Ubercalendar HD patch for webOS brings the calendar's looks on par with CM9.
    lol...I'm just edgy because my tp is on the way to the HP shop for crack fix..hehe
    Did you SRO it? When I had the same issue with mine HP had another TouchPad on my doorstep in under 24 hours.
    Did you SRO it? When I had the same issue with mine HP had another TouchPad on my doorstep in under 24 hours.
    Yeah. Called them on Tuesday and recieved the box to send it back the next day. Sent it out Wednesday. They told me the whole process would take 7-10 days. I'm hoping I get the same one back as I really don't want a refurb. According to their warranty its up to them.
    I agree with OldSchoolVWLover, no browser can open a file with an extension it doesn't recognise. WebOS default browser is no exception.
    Well I wasnt really trying to open it. But the file was suppose to be 100mb and it downloaded the file in one second and the file was about 2k. Go to Goo-inside.me free android file hosting and try downloading a file. And this isnt the only site i have had trouble downloading. A browser doesn't care if the OS can read the file or not its just suppose to download the file.
    Well I wasnt really trying to open it. But the file was suppose to be 100mb and it downloaded the file in one second and the file was about 2k. Go to Goo-inside.me free android file hosting and try downloading a file. And this isnt the only site i have had trouble downloading. A browser doesn't care if the OS can read the file or not its just suppose to download the file.
    That has to do with "secure" downloading (same thing happens on these forums), there is a patch to work around this... no time now or I would explain more than this. (might have used wrong term with secure but that is your issue)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That has to do with "secure" downloading (same thing happens on these forums), there is a patch to work around this... no time now or I would explain more than this. (might have used wrong term with secure but that is your issue)
    No prob...i'm just saying it's not a problem on Android...no patch needed
    I just downloaded this file from that website with no issues:

http://goo-inside.me/themes/Blue6IX/...ate_signed.zip

It was just a random file. The file downloaded with no issues. Says it is 16.9MB. I used the default browser.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Congratulation for downloading a random file. Now try downloading from a secured site and see what happens. For eg a bank. It fails with webos works with android. For an os based on the web it sure fails at it.
    How about someone supply me with a link to the secured site so I can try? I went to the link I was given.

No prob...i'm just saying it's not a problem on Android...no patch needed
    Amazing that folks won't take the time to download and apply a free patch to webOS to fix an issue but in the same breath will try to convince you to spend money for an app in Android to fix an issue. Same folks will waste a few hours rooting, downloading apps to change home screens and keyboards, goof around with configuration files just to get a game to run or to fix screen resolution, applying fixes to the market so it will let you see apps to install, and coming up with work-arounds for unresponsive touch screens, yet will thumb their nose at a webOS user for applying a patch. Unbelievable!

Log in to your bank and download a statement. If the website is https it will not work because webos cannot download from it. There are a whole bunch of threads about this. For eg. when i used webos i could never get a file from blackboard.
    As mentioned before there is a patch for this issue:

[Patch request] Downloading documents from secured sites.

It is midnight where I am at now and I have to be up at 5am so I won't be able to test this for you until tomorrow afternoon. I'm still finding it kind of funny that folks will take the time to hack Android onto their TouchPads, then spend the time fixing its multitude of problem yet complain about having to spend a little time applying a patch to webOS. If it is all about the apps then say it is all about the apps. Don't try to dish on the OS. Especially if you are running Android. A lot of the apps in Android were made to fix problems.

As mentioned before there is a patch for this issue:

[Patch request] Downloading documents from secured sites.

It is midnight where I am at now and I have to be up at 5am so I won't be able to test this for you until tomorrow afternoon. I'm still finding it kind of funny that folks will take the time to hack Android onto their TouchPads, then spend the time fixing its multitude of problem yet complain about having to spend a little time applying a patch to webOS. If it is all about the apps then say it is all about the apps. Don't try to dish on the OS. Especially if you are running Android. A lot of the apps in Android were made to fix problems.

Its all about the apps....and the inferior browser.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast