Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Which is fine if you have time to screw around with stuff like that.
    Well, if you have time to post on a message board, you have time to tinker with your phone Hell, do it on the crapper, nothing else to do while things work themselves out of ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by domingo21 View Post
    I don't get how anyone could praise the webos keyboard. It is the worst keyboard I have ever used on a device. There is no word prediction, auto correct is horrible and it is laggy. Which os has a keyboard without word predictions ? Everything about webos just seems rushed and unpolished.
    The lack of this is really not a bother to me. Even if there was word prediction, I usually end up typing my way through the whole word anyway. I like the keyboard much better than on my dads iPad 2. Having the number row is nice..
    Having CM7, CM9, iOS on Tablet and Pod, and webOS on phone and tablet, I can pretty much say, that for me, without a doubt, the webOS virtual keyboard on tablet beats the crap out of the others for layout. iOS beats up on it in accuracy, but the spell correction on webOS beats the crap out of iOS's too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    The lack of this is really not a bother to me. Even if there was word prediction, I usually end up typing my way through the whole word anyway. I like the keyboard much better than on my dads iPad 2. Having the number row is nice..
    I used to do the same until I started using SwiftKey, and I'm constantly amazed that it seems to know exactly what I'm thinking next. I'm not a very fast or accurate onscreen keyboard typist, so being able to hit the space key when the word is correctly predicted is a godsend for me. I got it for a dime during the Android Market Christmas sale, but I suppose I'd drop the $4 for it if I had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I am with you.

I am guessing for most of those that use swiftkey and/or auto prediction don't type a lot on physical keyboards...

I touch type at what I would say is a well above average speed, for the most part, predictive and auto-correct are useless because my fingers and brain is trained to type as I would on a computer. Some auto-correct is nice for when I "fat finger" something on a VKB or smaller phone physical keyboard. Other than that, it just gets in the way of me typing.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    the only thing ive liked android for so far is yet again app related only, and that is Welcome to OnLive which works quite well and is just as responsive as the pc.

was initially impressed at the amount of android games and apps at first till i actually went thru them all and ended up liking very few, and jeez at the amount of intrusive apps, simple things wanting a huge amount of personal access completely unrelated to what the app does.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am with you.

I am guessing for most of those that use swiftkey and/or auto prediction don't type a lot on physical keyboards..
    I'm not a speed demon on a keyboard but I type 55 words a minute on a computer. I am not a fast typist on a touchscreen and really do prefer SwiftkeyX over any other keyboard. The only thing I like on the WebOS keyboard is the ".com" button. If SwiftkeyX came to WebOS, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    OHHHH I hate that .com button. I almost always have TP in portrait and tend to type with my right hand... the .com key shortens the space bar so I am constantly hitting .com with my thumb in twitter and when posting here with browser.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I'm not a speed demon on a keyboard but I type 55 words a minute on a computer. I am not a fast typist on a touchscreen and really do prefer SwiftkeyX over any other keyboard. The only thing I like on the WebOS keyboard is the ".com" button. If SwiftkeyX came to WebOS, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    I don't suppose somebody could come up with an app or patch for a split or thumb keyboard for webOS? THAT is a wonderful addition to the Android set up, and is sorely missed on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    I don't suppose somebody could come up with an app or patch for a split or thumb keyboard for webOS? THAT is a wonderful addition to the Android set up, and is sorely missed on the TP.
    Many options in these 2 threads, some of these can be mixed and matched to give you multiple setups easily switched between. I think the first thread is the one with the thumb keyboard.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am guessing for most of those that use swiftkey and/or auto prediction don't type a lot on physical keyboards...

I touch type at what I would say is a well above average speed, for the most part, predictive and auto-correct are useless because my fingers and brain is trained to type as I would on a computer. Some auto-correct is nice for when I "fat finger" something on a VKB or smaller phone physical keyboard. Other than that, it just gets in the way of me typing.
    I felt the same and installed the free Hacker's Keyboard. All the keys you need (including tab, numbers and arrows), and can be resized in 5% increments (none of this small, medium and large stuff), remembering your preference in landscape and portrait separately.

Better still, you can download the relevant dictionary if you do want some predictions, and the app doesn't need internet access in its permissions - handy for those concerned about key-logging and 'phoning home'.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ion.pckeyboard

Spyke
  12.    #112  
    I find prediction and auto-correct is still pretty hard to get used to. It can even fix the word for me, and I will have already backspaced through my mistake, and fixed it by the time I notice that it's been fixed. The different sizes are pretty useless to me, large is used almost exclusively, as I do hammer away at the screen pretty quickly.

I do like having a full number row and most punctuation available without having to switch to a subset keyboard.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I had a bit of a battery glitch last night in CM9. The Touchpad was up at about 80%, and had been sitting with screen off for about an hour. When I turned it on it was dead and needed power to show the 'need to charge' icon with the drained battery.

Once back up and running I could see in the battery usage a very rapid drain down to zero. I left it off (not on charge) overnight showing about 15%.

However, it charged back up to 100% very quickly this morning, in less than an hour, which makes me wonder whether the battery really was flat or was simply being read incorrectly.

Has anyone else seen this?

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by domingo21 View Post
    I don't get how anyone could praise the webos keyboard. It is the worst keyboard I have ever used on a device. There is no word prediction, auto correct is horrible and it is laggy. Which os has a keyboard without word predictions ? Everything about webos just seems rushed and unpolished.
    If the webOS keyboard had word prediction I would do to it what I do to the keyboards on Android that have it: TURN IT OFF!!! My hatred for word prediction runs too deep. It is one of the most annoying "features" I have used on a modern device. So I just sit there and type while the word prediction dictionary tries to figure out what word I'm typing. It annoyingly changes the word with ever letter I type. Never really getting it right the first time. If it does get it right I have to hit the tab key to register my enjoyment. By the time I'm done doing that I could have just finished the word myself. I would much rather have auto-correct or inline spell checking than word prediction.

I hate the way that Android does auto-correct also. It is so frustrating! It automatically corrects the word at the end of the word when I hit the space bar. If it is wrong and I don't hit the backspace, my word is lost. I like in webOS how it will correct a word, then underline the word it corrected. So if the auto-correct is off or the way I typed it is the way it is spelled, I just touched the underlined word and I am given the option to go back to the original spelling or pick a new one from the dictionary. This is a lot easier than Android which forces me to stop mid-sentence to make or fix corrections. In webOS I can get to the end of the sentence or paragraph then go back and make corrections. This way my train of thought is not interrupted.

BTW, there must be something wrong with your device because my auto-correct is smooth and unobtrusive. Try turning off auto-correct, then typing something, then turning it back on. You only have to do this once and it is fixed.
    I got so annoyed with webOS auto-correct, I turned it off. But then it's not like I don't like auto-correct. It's just that it corrects words that don't need to be corrected all the time. It's too much of a good thing that makes it bad.

Is there an Android keyboard that has num keys on the top row of the keyboard so you don't have to alt your way into it? Baffling why they can't simply put a narrow row of num keys at the top. That's what I like about webOS keyboard if I had to like something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I'm using Swiftkey X Tablet on CM9. It is the only Android keyboard I can stand, other than the default one on the Archos 70IT (which is proprietary). It is pretty good but it lacks cursor navigation keys. I have the patch for the webOS keyboard that enables the cursor navigation keys. There is also a patch for the webOS keyboard that enables the thumb typing layout. Plus the webOS keyboard cost me nothing and Swiftkey X Tablet cost $4.99.

Edit: I posted a screenshot a couple of months ago of my TouchPad running CM7 w/Swiftkey X Tablet keyboard and webOS 3.0.4 with the default keyboard and arrows (cursor navigation) patch. It was in my CM7 thread on TouchPad forum on Android Central. The webOS keyboard looks better by default than any of Swiftkey X Tablet keyboard does with themes. Both of them type pretty much the same. The webOS keyboard has the cursor navigation keys so I don't have to rely on trying to tap the touchscreen in the right spot to make a correction. In Android I'm stuck with the little magnifying glass thingy that doesn't work well when you are close to the sides of dialog boxes.
    Last edited by k4ever; 02/09/2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Is there an Android keyboard that has num keys on the top row of the keyboard so you don't have to alt your way into it? Baffling why they can't simply put a narrow row of num keys at the top. That's what I like about webOS keyboard if I had to like something about it.
    Yes, the Hacker's Keyboard I linked to four posts ago...

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm using Swiftkey X Tablet on CM9. It is the only Android keyboard I can stand, other than the default one on the Archos 70IT (which is proprietary). It is pretty good but it lacks cursor navigation keys. I have the patch for the webOS keyboard that enables the cursor navigation keys. There is also a patch for the webOS keyboard that enables the thumb typing layout. Plus the webOS keyboard cost me nothing and Swiftkey X Tablet cost $4.99.
    Have you tried the Hacker's Keyboard? As I noted up thread, it has the number key row, the cursor navigation keys, a tab key, and basically all the keys you'd expect on a PC keyboard. It can do word prediction, but only if you tell it to.

It's also got gesture and mic support (assuming we get the mic working in CM9)

No thumb layout, and not as pretty as the webOS one, but it is free.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I got so annoyed with webOS auto-correct, I turned it off. But then it's not like I don't like auto-correct. It's just that it corrects words that don't need to be corrected all the time. It's too much of a good thing that makes it bad.

Laoh, I believe there is a crappy looking one called " The Hacker's Keyboard" that has a numbers row. I have not found a good looking one with themes that has the number's row yet. If you turn auto-correct back on in webOS it should be working right. I believe there was a glitch in 3.0.4 that made auto-correct too aggressive. It sort of carried over to 3.0.5. Simply turning auto-correct off temporarily, then typing some words, then turning it back on permanently fixes the glitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Have you tried the Hacker's Keyboard? As I noted up thread, it has the number key row, the cursor navigation keys, a tab key, and basically all the keys you'd expect on a PC keyboard. It can do word prediction, but only if you tell it to.

It's also got gesture and mic support (assuming we get the mic working in CM9)

No thumb layout, and not as pretty as the webOS one, but it is free.

Spyke
    Spyke, answered your question in my above post. Yes I tried it and it was not something worth writing home to Mamma about.

Edit: This kind of ties into something I mentioned in another post about Android (may or may not be in this thread). You can never really get everything you need in one app. You usually need 2-3 similar apps to get the functionality you enjoy in one app on other platforms. Instead of taking something decent and building on it in Android, developers seem to try to re-invent the wheel and take an app or service in a totally different direction.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast