Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I'm sure Android will continue to improve, esp with Matias there. I'd have a hard time believing he's totally happy with ICS. It was probably a mix of things he really fought for and a bunch of compromises. But with each newer version, I think we'll see more of his fingerprint.
    No matter how many layers of paint Matias puts on Android, it will still be a stinky POS, albeit a pretty one.

Whenever I give Android a trail I always feel like I'm fighting for it to do what I want. Like I'm continually having to "make it mine". I don't think Google understand that most people (out side of geeky forums) just want their tablet/phone to work.

Eg.
    How many times have you said to an Android ****** that the keyboard is ugly only to have them respond "well install a new keyboard". I don't want to have to install a keyboard, it's a frikken keyboard, it should just not suck from the start!

Eg.
    Let's say I'm trying a bunch of Apps seeing which best suits me. I install say 5 apps, decide to keep one of them. So I go and uninstal the other 4 apps via Settings (the 3 click usability rule fails right here, but moving on) and that should be it. Ohhhh no, not with all mighty Android, I have to go searching through my SD-Card trying to find and delete all the random directories and files each app has decided to dump everywhere. It's beyond a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    You do know that widgets are not the whole app running and they are only specialized to the information given and controls. . Widgets, are well, still applications, but have a special functionality which enables you to place a "part" of the application on one of your home screens, which can update periodically, without having to enter into the application its self, which saves time. If you think of widgets the same as full apps running then you don't understand widgets.

Why would WebOS be quicker on the phone? I already know how the cards are nice for apps but I don't want to have to open up each and every app to check news, play music from mp3s or a different one for podcasts, or internet radio. All my controls and information are right there without having to open up apps like in WebOS. Widgets>Cards on phones. On tablets I could care less because I'm not constantly checking it and apps are slow to load in WebOS anyways, when I can check the information instantaneously with a widget.
    webOS on a phone is very smooth due to one thumb navigation. The gesture area allows you to use the advanced gestures to swipe through open apps, full screen and also use back gestures.

In regards to widgets, webOS really takes advantage of dashboard functionality to view information though your notifications. Very smooth and very clean looking as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    This is the whole reason I wouldn't want WebOS on a phone. I don't wan to have to open up an app each and every time that I need to do something. Widgets do everything you were doing and you don't even have to open up the app, whether that is for music, weather, news, email, to-do tasks, calendar, etc. That's why I'm not in a rush to install CM9 onto the Touchpad, because my phone takes care of my usual needs on the go and it does a better job for me than WebOS would. On a tablet, I don't need that kind of functionality. I guess if I didn't have an Android phone then that might be different.
    Balderdash
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    In regards to widgets, webOS really takes advantage of dashboard functionality to view information though your notifications. Very smooth and very clean looking as well.
    Is it different on the phones to the Touchpad? I can see notifications on the Touchpad for incoming emails and alarms for calendar events, but not the sort of things that widgets are useful for: e.g. your to do list, all your events for the day, the weather forecast, the next bus.

Comparing the notifications under webOS and CM9/ICS I'd say they're very close now, with the improvement in Android over Gingerbread. For emails you have the slight advantage in webOS that you can sweep away each one to get an idea of what they are, while multiple emails just appear as a batch in CM9, but in both systems you still need to go into the email app to deal with them. (You can't delete the actual emails from the notification itself.)

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 02/06/2012 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Is it different on the phones to the Touchpad? I can see notifications on the Touchpad for incoming emails and alarms for calendar events, but not the sort of things that widgets are useful for: e.g. your to do list, all your events for the day, the weather forecast, the next bus.

Comparing the notifications under webOS and CM9/ICS I'd say they're very close now, with the improvement in Android over Gingerbread. For emails you have the slight advantage in webOS that you can sweep away each one to get an idea of what they are, while multiple emails just appear as a batch in CM9, but in both systems you still need to go into the email app to deal with them. (You can't delete the actual emails from the notification itself.)

Spyke
    There are lots of nuances on the webOS phones that are different from the TouchPad.

There are weather dashboard apps that will show weather information in the notifications. I use the weather feature in gmail to add the forecast to my calendar, then I have the top bar calendar (won't get too much into this since it's phone specific), so I can swipe down from the top bar to check forecast, this patch also gives me the ability to see my calendar events for the day and go forward and backwards without launching the calendar app (just swipe down from middle of top bar). If I need real time weather info, I will use just type to open the weather app, I do have weather dashboard, but don't use it.

For e-mails, on phones you cannot swipe away individual e-mails like you can on the tablet. But on the phones there is a patch that allows you to delete individual e-mails from the notification, thus not having to open the e-mail app to delete e-mails. (once Open Source is complete, hopefully having the C source code for the top bar will allow us to bake this functionality into the tablet OS as well).

Also on phones, most audio applications have the ability to turn off or on dashboard controls. Music Player (Remix) does this on the tablet as well, with user configurable controls and information. There are other apps that can be "pinned" to the notification area for various functionality (a calculator app for example)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    There are lots of nuances on the webOS phones that are different from the TouchPad.
    Thanks for that; the webOS phones sound great!

Spyke
    @Spyke I'm back in webOS again. Setting the clock speed back to the "factory" settings caused a lot fewer crashes then I had the first time. The crashes were not as frequent, but they did persist. I figured out how to stream video from my desktop to CM9 but without hardware acceleration it just looks bad and stutters to much. The games and other apps that have webOS equivalents in CM9 just aren't as good. It's not that they lack features when compared to their webOS counterparts. They were either on par with their webOS counterparts or had more features. However, any advantage they may have had was rendered useless by unresponsive/flaky touchscreen behavior and screen resolutions that were noticeably off or completely out of whack. I got so tired of Dolphin HD not going to the links I would constantly click in a web page that I downloaded Skyfire which had the exact same issues. To make matters worse, there were several times when they did accept the link that the webpage wouldn't even load. I finally got my AKO email to work last night (I think whatever caused the issue was fixed with .06) only to have it not be able to log in this morning. The only difference between last night and this morning was that I rebooted the device. I realized when I was typing in one of the blogs I frequent that the default keyboard would not auto-correct spelling errors, make suggestions, or capitalize the first word in a sentence under all apps. Instead of just downloading a new keyboard, I thought to myself: "Why go through this? The default keyboard in webOS is just as good as the paid ones in Android. The web browsers in webOS work a whole lot better. I don't have to worry about hacking my device to get a paid game in the market to work and it will look good without any tweaking". ..So I booted back into webOS. CM9 is a whole lot better on the eyes then CM7 is but it still needs tome tweaking to get the baseline experience of webOS (without the ton of apps).

@PainToad While I agree with all of the points you brought up in your post, I don't agree with tone. Android is not a POS. It just takes some tweaking to make it right. Problem is that a lot of people don't like that tweaking. Most folks want stuff to be good out of the box. We had that same issue explaining patching to new webOS users. I can say though that patching webOS is a lot easier than tweaking Android. I think it is easier to polish an existing brass door knob that you like (webOS) than it is to go out and find one you like, install it, and then have to polish it later (Android).
    @k4ever: On the up side, I reinstalled the gapps file and my Google Calendar sync is working again for now.

Spyke
    @k4ever: On the up side, I reinstalled the gapps file and my Google Calendar sync is working again for now.

Spyke
    That's great. I think the ICS calendar is better than webOS' calendar. Google did a good job of going from crappy looking to luscious with the new calendar. I would love to see HP "copy" the look of the ICS calendar in open source webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Eg.
    How many times have you said to an Android ****** that the keyboard is ugly only to have them respond "well install a new keyboard". I don't want to have to install a keyboard, it's a frikken keyboard, it should just not suck from the start!
    You may think the keyboard sucks, but not everyone does. The beauty of it is that if your opinion of the keyboard is that it's terrible (and I don't agree with you in that respect), find one that suits you. There is an awesome keyboard on the market called SwiftKey -- not free, but it's universally praised for its layout and creepily-accurate prediction system. Or grab one of the free ones. Or just use the default. Instead of complaining about having a choice of keyboards, try embracing it.

I love the way you can personalize Android to make it look exactly how you want it to look. My phone looks like no one else's, and I think that's awesome. Some people go a little nuts with the customization (themes, tweaks, widgets, etc) and have what I feel are ****-ugly phones, but hey, welcome to Android, it's only as pretty or ugly as you make it
    Does anyone know if Swype will work with CM9? I have a beta version installed on my GNexus so I know it works in ICS.
    The problem I have with all the Android stuff is it's all set up for monentization, which is one reason it's been successful. I get frustrated when installing a keyboard and I have to give its app permission to access everything on the device. In order to work you really have to trust this stuff, and I just don't.

I don't want my keyboard phoning home my usage, or anything for that matter. I just want to use it. Like a tool.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I am relatively new to WebOs since I just got my Touchpad for my Birthday 3 weeks ago. First impression is that WebOs is sexy and very easy to use. I love the simplicity of it and the true multitasking. I wish there were more apps and would kill for a Netflix app but there are new apps popping up every day I know this b/c I check every day. I know about Splashtop and I will download it tonight since its down to $4.99 but my issue is how does Splashtop help me with Netflix when I’m nowhere near my computer or will it work remotely? Netflix are you listening…. We need an app WebOs is open finally what’s the hold up?? By the way, I have no intention of loading Android onto my Touchpad since I have an Android phone and frankly, I'm just bored with the whole interface and I’m not a fan of voiding my warranty even if this thing was dirt cheap.

My only complaint about WebOs on the Touchpad is the frequency of having to use the home button to get back to the main page to close an App... My concern is the flashing home key breaking down from this constant use. Other than this concern, I love my Touchpad!!
    old_geekster likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyrocko1908 View Post
    I am relatively new to WebOs since I just got my Touchpad for my Birthday 3 weeks ago. First impression is that WebOs is sexy and very easy to use. I love the simplicity of it and the true multitasking. I wish there were more apps and would kill for a Netflix app but there are new apps popping up every day I know this b/c I check every day. I know about Splashtop and I will download it tonight since its down to $4.99 but my issue is how does Splashtop help me with Netflix when I’m nowhere near my computer or will it work remotely? Netflix are you listening…. We need an app WebOs is open finally what’s the hold up?? By the way, I have no intention of loading Android onto my Touchpad since I have an Android phone and frankly, I'm just bored with the whole interface and I’m not a fan of voiding my warranty even if this thing was dirt cheap.

My only complaint about WebOs on the Touchpad is the frequency of having to use the home button to get back to the main page to close an App... My concern is the flashing home key breaking down from this constant use. Other than this concern, I love my Touchpad!!
    This is a very good review. It is nice to see something positive. I agree with your concern about the center button. The more repetitive actions can, over time, cause problems. Having Netflix would also be great. I have CM90.6 installed, as well. It seems that I use webOS far more. At first, I wasn't sure about the card system in the browser. However, time has made me appreciate the true ease of use.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyrocko1908 View Post
    If you are using the button, you are doing it wrong...

In screen & lock (use just type and type screen), make sure "Enable Gestures" is on.

Now in whatever orientation you are holding the TouchPad, from the bottom bezel swipe upwards toward the screen, this will put the app in card view. Another swipe up will open your launcher. No more need to press the button unless you are having to do a hard reset or take a screen cap.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 02/07/2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    If you are using the button, you are doing it wrong...

In screen & lock (use just type and type screen), make sure "Enable Gestures" is on.

No in whatever orientation you are holding the TouchPad, from the bottom bezel swipe upwards toward the screen, this will put the app in card view. Another swipe up will open your launcher. No more need to press the button unless you are having to do a hard reset or take a screen cap.
    @OldSkool,

This is why we need you old guys. I just proved you can teach an old dog new tricks, also. :-)
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    You may think the keyboard sucks, but not everyone does. The beauty of it is that if your opinion of the keyboard is that it's terrible (and I don't agree with you in that respect), find one that suits you. There is an awesome keyboard on the market called SwiftKey -- not free, but it's universally praised for its layout and creepily-accurate prediction system. Or grab one of the free ones. Or just use the default. Instead of complaining about having a choice of keyboards, try embracing it.

I love the way you can personalize Android to make it look exactly how you want it to look. My phone looks like no one else's, and I think that's awesome. Some people go a little nuts with the customization (themes, tweaks, widgets, etc) and have what I feel are ****-ugly phones, but hey, welcome to Android, it's only as pretty or ugly as you make it
    Which is fine if you have time to screw around with stuff like that.
    No more need to press the button unless you are having to do a hard reset or take a screen cap.
    Unless, like me, you have a really beautiful and otherwise fantastically functional cover for your Touchpad that makes it impossible to swipe from the bezel in landscape <sigh>.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    The problem I have with all the Android stuff is it's all set up for monentization, which is one reason it's been successful. I get frustrated when installing a keyboard and I have to give its app permission to access everything on the device. In order to work you really have to trust this stuff, and I just don't.

I don't want my keyboard phoning home my usage, or anything for that matter. I just want to use it. Like a tool.
    But, wouldn't you want to know if it had the capability to phone home your usage?

You say you don't trust this stuff, but surely that's a reason for wanting to use an OS that makes it transparent, so you can check? Other operating systems hide that from you.

Spyke
    Unless, like me, you have a really beautiful and otherwise fantastically functional cover for your Touchpad that makes it impossible to swipe from the bezel in landscape <sigh>.

Spyke
    LOL, forgot about that.

So used to the gesture on the phone I bought 3 HP cases to keep away from running into that issue (we also use Touchstones too though).
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast