Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    I can not believe any sane person who tries Android CM9 on their TP bothers to boot WebOS ever again? Are you guys living on another planet?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    I can not believe any sane person who tries Android CM9 on their TP bothers to boot WebOS ever again? Are you guys living on another planet?
    If the camera worked in CM9 so that I could use Skype video, if hardware acceleration worked so that I could use Netflix, if the sound didn't go wonky every once in awhile....I would agree with you.
    I don't think you have to live on another planet to want those things to be functional.
    But....if they were fully functional....I would be looking for a way to wipe webOS to reclaim the space.
  3.    #63  
    Believe it. Not another planet, just the other side.....where the water goes down the toilet the RIGHT way

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb2751 View Post
    If the camera worked in CM9 so that I could use Skype video, if hardware acceleration worked so that I could use Netflix, if the sound didn't go wonky every once in awhile....I would agree with you.
    I don't think you have to live on another planet to want those things to be functional.
    But....if they were fully functional....I would be looking for a way to wipe webOS to reclaim the space.
    You can use Netflix and don't have wonky sound on webOS???? Really???

@bulletmark.... general scenario of my TouchPad use at a day at work.

Music Player Remix on all the time...usually hit shuffle and let it do it's thing all day.
    I usually have Advanced Browser open in a card, with a few tabs open, all the time.
    Used to use Spaz HD, currently using Project Macaw...all the time.
    Email on all the time.
    Maps on.....guess....all the time.

Being that I actually work, more than mess around with my TouchPad, I need things available quickly. webOS is very quick and I'm sure Android is as well. That is truly all I need while I'm at work.

I do not need to really look at what I'm doing, to switch from one task to the next, whether it's switch songs.....(really I can do that from the dashboard, but the buttons are a little small, couple quick flicks, and I can advance the track from full card view)....reply to an email, send out some stupid tweet about nothing, find a location on a map, look at what the weather is doing on theweathernetwork.com......(sorry to all those app makers that use yahoo weather api , but I've yet to find a GOOD weather app for Canada. Best weather app out there, AFAIC.)

It's just FOR ME....it takes a little more effort, and concentration to do the same thing, and while that EFFORT might not be a lot, well there's a little. Call me lazy (when it comes to tablets, then come work with me for a day, and we'll see )

When I'm sitting around at home with nothing pressing, and nothing but time, that's when I find I can explore Android, but not when I'm busy, on the go, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Believe it. Not another planet, just the other side.....where the water goes down the toilet the RIGHT way

You can use Netflix and don't have wonky sound on webOS???? Really???

@bulletmark.... general scenario of my TouchPad use at a day at work.

Music Player Remix on all the time...usually hit shuffle and let it do it's thing all day.
    I usually have Advanced Browser open in a card, with a few tabs open, all the time.
    Used to use Spaz HD, currently using Project Macaw...all the time.
    Email on all the time.
    Maps on.....guess....all the time.

Being that I actually work, more than mess around with my TouchPad, I need things available quickly. webOS is very quick and I'm sure Android is as well. That is truly all I need while I'm at work.

I do not need to really look at what I'm doing, to switch from one task to the next, whether it's switch songs.....(really I can do that from the dashboard, but the buttons are a little small, couple quick flicks, and I can advance the track from full card view)....reply to an email, send out some stupid tweet about nothing, find a location on a map, look at what the weather is doing on theweathernetwork.com......(sorry to all those app makers that use yahoo weather api , but I've yet to find a GOOD weather app for Canada. Best weather app out there, AFAIC.)

It's just FOR ME....it takes a little more effort, and concentration to do the same thing, and while that EFFORT might not be a lot, well there's a little. Call me lazy (when it comes to tablets, then come work with me for a day, and we'll see )

When I'm sitting around at home with nothing pressing, and nothing but time, that's when I find I can explore Android, but not when I'm busy, on the go, etc, etc.
    I really shouldn't try to think and type at the same time ...I do watch Netflix on Android, obviously not on webOS. Would be nice to watch other HD video (YouTube) on CM9 though.
    And, the sound on webOS for me is much better than on CM9. Even though I occasionally get some wonkyness on webOS, it's not nearly as much as on CM9.

It's getting harder and harder for me to boot back into webOS, though. The browser on CM9 is so much faster and smoother than the clunky one on webOS (MY opinion....I know some won't agree) it gets tedious to do much browsing in webOS.

Hey, individualism is a good thing. I'm glad that we all aren't the same!
  5.    #65  
    What a boring world it would be
    Not trying to be argumentative, but I can't believe any sane person would think "every sane person" needs CM9 or would prefer it over webOS.

I literally have no real world use for CM9 other than helping my developer friends test software.

This of course is my own need and individual opinion, but a response to your blanket statement.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    On a rather more detailed note: I've just installed Zinio on CM9. It's flakier than the webOS version (I suspect due to the range of screen sizes it needs to support in Android), working better in portrait than in landscape, but it does have one massive advantage:

It remembers which page you were on in each magazine!

Spyke
    Yes. It's called Earth :-)
    sledge007 and marcedhk like this.
    If we could get an amazing Browser running in webOS I think most of these complaints go away. Netflix... meh, I'm not a subscriber so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. IMO they need to get away from apps and go in the direction Amazon Prime has. Give streaming accounts access to stream media in-browser. Then, I'd be a customer.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Been playing with CM9 some more last night and most of today. I upgrade to .06. Changed the build.prop file to a Samsung SGT-I9100 so I could install some high end games. Mostly hit and miss there. I managed to get Asphalt 6 up and running. The resolution is a little off. It looks a whole lot better in webOS but it is playable. I got excited about finally being able to play Let's Golf 3 on a bigger screen, but the game wouldn't run right (screen was gargled bad). I got Brothers in Arms 2 to install but I won't be playing it because of all the darn in app purchases for everything. I would like to just pay for the game and not be nickel and dimed. Real Racing 2 is not supported so I will have to change the build.prop again for that.

Video is OK to terrible. YouTube video is fine as long as you disable HD. Flash videos are erratic. Some work fine. Some won't work at all. Some have garbed sound. Sometimes the video is choppy. I can't see anyone seriously using it for video playback right now. I would slowly lose my mind having to deal with it.

The gallery keeps crashing even though I never started it. Dolphin HD has crashed too many times to count. In fact every app seems to have crashed on me several times since I updated to .06, to include the home screen app. I downloaded Wifi Fixer to help with web pages not loading all of the time. The touchscreen is still erratic. I have a hard time selecting items on the home screen. Which was a real problem considering that the market kept placing shortcuts on the desktop every time I installed a new app. I found a way to turn off that behavior in the market settings. Continuing with the touchscreen problems, I also have a hard time selecting links in the browser. The clicking sound for the keyboard keeps going in and out. The certificates manager won't start. Zinio garbles the screen in portrait mode (the tablet version for Android is now on par with the webOS versions for looks, though. yeah!). The OS eats through battery power like there is no tomorrow. Bluetooth doesn't work. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you guys get the picture.

Seriously, there is no need to cheer lead for CM9 here by trashing webOS. Especially since CM9 is no where near ready for prime time. You guys lose the respect of all of us here by doing so and not pointing out the glaring problems that this alpha still has. It is not ready for a novice user yet. I have the highest respect for the CM team and expect this to get better in time. For an Aplha CM9 is very impressive and I know it will continue to get better. As for those that will try to convince you it is better than webOS in its current state.....

Sent from my SGT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The gallery keeps crashing even though I never started it. Dolphin HD has crashed too many times to count. In fact every app seems to have crashed on me several times since I updated to .06, to include the home screen app. I downloaded Wifi Fixer to help with web pages not loading all of the time. The touchscreen is still erratic. I have a hard time selecting items on the home screen. Which was a real problem considering that the market kept placing shortcuts on the desktop every time I installed a new app. I found a way to turn off that behavior in the market settings. Continuing with the touchscreen problems, I also have a hard time selecting links in the browser. The clicking sound for the keyboard keeps going in and out. The certificates manager won't start. Zinio garbles the screen in portrait mode (the tablet version for Android is now on par with the webOS versions for looks, though. yeah!). The OS eats through battery power like there is no tomorrow. Bluetooth doesn't work. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you guys get the picture.
    K4ever, have you got your Touchpad overclocked, or running on a custom kernel? It would be good to work out why some people have the problems you're describing here, while others, like me, don't. My TP's running at the standard 1.2 and is on 3.05 with only a few patches. I really don't see any of the issues you've described in the above paragraph, with the exception of Zinio, which I've posted about above. (I've not tested Bluetooth, though.)

I've not tried the games in the first part of your post, but we know that there are issues with video acceleration in the alpha, and again we've remarked on that before in these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever
    Seriously, there is no need to cheer lead for CM9 here by trashing webOS. Especially since CM9 is no where near ready for prime time. You guys lose the respect of all of us here by doing so and not pointing out the glaring problems that this alpha still has.
    People are having varying experiences, and although a few people are 'trashing webOS' I think most are posting honestly about what's working and what isn't.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed you were editing the build.prop, presumably to change screen resolution. I wonder if that's contributing to the instability you're getting? I've left my CM9 build as installed on 160.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 02/05/2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    This is the whole reason I wouldn't want WebOS on a phone. I don't wan to have to open up an app each and every time that I need to do something. Widgets do everything you were doing and you don't even have to open up the app, whether that is for music, weather, news, email, to-do tasks, calendar, etc. That's why I'm not in a rush to install CM9 onto the Touchpad, because my phone takes care of my usual needs on the go and it does a better job for me than WebOS would. On a tablet, I don't need that kind of functionality. I guess if I didn't have an Android phone then that might be different.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I'd argue that webOS is an even better experience on a phone than it is on a tablet. The card system together with the gesture area makes navigating a far more pleasurable experience than both Android and iOS in my opinion.

I can pretty much do everything on my Pre 2 using nothing more than my thumb
    K4ever, have you got your Touchpad overclocked, or running on a custom kernel? It would be good to work out why some people have the problems you're describing here, while others, like me, don't. My TP's running at the standard 1.2 and is on 3.05 with only a few patches. I really don't see any of the issues you've described in the above paragraph, with the exception of Zinio, which I've posted about above. (I've not tested Bluetooth, though.)

I've not tried the games in the first part of your post, but we know that there are issues with video acceleration in the alpha, and again we've remarked on that before in these threads.

People are having varying experiences, and although a few people are 'trashing webOS' I think most are posting honestly about what's working and what isn't.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed you were editing the build.prop, presumably to change screen resolution. I wonder if that's contributing to the instability you're getting? I've left my CM9 build as installed on 160.

Spyke
    I edited the build.prop to 155dpi instead of 160. 155 has been recommended by others to be the best resolution for the TouchPad. I'm also over clocked to 1.7ghz on both webOS and CM9. I was having issues prior to the changes. However, I will roll back both the resolution and over clocking. WebOS worked great over clocked without any patches. I have since installed patches and it has gotten faster. I will try CM9 w/o the changes to see if it is more stable, but I doubt it. Just for the group, I also fixed the permissions in CM9, which made CM7 more stable but have not had an effect on this version.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    This is the whole reason I wouldn't want WebOS on a phone. I don't wan to have to open up an app each and every time that I need to do something. Widgets do everything you were doing and you don't even have to open up the app, whether that is for music, weather, news, email, to-do tasks, calendar, etc. That's why I'm not in a rush to install CM9 onto the Touchpad, because my phone takes care of my usual needs on the go and it does a better job for me than WebOS would. On a tablet, I don't need that kind of functionality. I guess if I didn't have an Android phone then that might be different.
    You do know that widgets actually open the apps to function, they are just not brought to the foreground. I find doing stuff quicker in webOS than in Android. The quick menu in webOS and the notifications area handles everything for you. The Pre was an absolute dream to use when compared to the EVO 3D I replaced it with. The EVO 3D just has a bigger screen and is put together better.

Spyke,

Set CPU speed to normal and set the dpi to 160. Still having the exact same issues. The Gallery crashes at odd times (mostly after installing anything from the market). Dolphin crashed on me within the first 5 minutes of changing the settings. The touchscreen is still erratic with its responsiveness.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    You do know that widgets actually open the apps to function, they are just not brought to the foreground. I find doing stuff quicker in webOS than in Android. The quick menu in webOS and the notifications area handles everything for you. The Pre was an absolute dream to use when compared to the EVO 3D I replaced it with. The EVO 3D just has a bigger screen and is put together better.

You do know that widgets are not the whole app running and they are only specialized to the information given and controls. . Widgets, are well, still applications, but have a special functionality which enables you to place a "part" of the application on one of your home screens, which can update periodically, without having to enter into the application its self, which saves time. If you think of widgets the same as full apps running then you don't understand widgets.

Why would WebOS be quicker on the phone? I already know how the cards are nice for apps but I don't want to have to open up each and every app to check news, play music from mp3s or a different one for podcasts, or internet radio. All my controls and information are right there without having to open up apps like in WebOS. Widgets>Cards on phones. On tablets I could care less because I'm not constantly checking it and apps are slow to load in WebOS anyways, when I can check the information instantaneously with a widget.
    Spyke,

Set CPU speed to normal and set the dpi to 160. Still having the exact same issues. The Gallery crashes at odd times (mostly after installing anything from the market). Dolphin crashed on me within the first 5 minutes of changing the settings. The touchscreen is still erratic with its responsiveness.

Hmm. I'm on a Touchpad 16GB. Is there a difference between the hardware builds?

The only app I've found that started causing general instability was the Google Calendar app, which wasn't syncing. I tried to fix it by clearing the data in 'Storage' process, and after that the Touchpad kept rebooting randomly. I cured that by deleting the running processes for both Calendar and Calendar Storage and then not touching the Calendar app again (switched to a shortcut to the web page).

Have you got any plug-ins installed for Dolphin? Could it be that? It sounds as though something that's running on as a service isn't playing nice with your other apps.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Hmm. I'm on a Touchpad 16GB. Is there a difference between the hardware builds?

The only app I've found that started causing general instability was the Google Calendar app, which wasn't syncing. I tried to fix it by clearing the data in 'Storage' process, and after that the Touchpad kept rebooting randomly. I cured that by deleting the running processes for both Calendar and Calendar Storage and then not touching the Calendar app again (switched to a shortcut to the web page).

Have you got any plug-ins installed for Dolphin? Could it be that? It sounds as though something that's running on as a service isn't playing nice with your other apps.

Spyke
    I don't have any plugins installed on Dolphin. I do not have the calendar problems you have and I have multiple calendars synced to Google Calendar. The touchscreen issue is the most annoying of all issues. If I could just get that fixed, along with hardware acceleration, screen distortion, and the sound distortion, CM9 would be very usable. I would also need a program that would allow me to play video files off of my computer the way Kalemsoft Media Player does for webOS.

I don't have any plugins installed on Dolphin. I do not have the calendar problems you have and I have multiple calendars synced to Google Calendar. The touchscreen issue is the most annoying of all issues. If I could just get that fixed, along with hardware acceleration, screen distortion, and the sound distortion, CM9 would be very usable. I would also need a program that would allow me to play video files off of my computer the way Kalemsoft Media Player does for webOS.

Hey, ho. Let's wait and see how things settle down in later builds. Nice to know that my Calendar issue might be solvable, though. I'll try some different gapps installs, I think.

Spyke
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast