Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    As soon as I switch out of youtube to another app, it stops playing so I can't hear the dialogue. That's not really useful.
    Yet other apps continue playing when you switch away (such as Napster), so it's not a limitation of the OS. Perhaps the coders of the Android YouTube app assumed that you would be watching videos and so deliberately chose to pause them for you when you switch away?

Spyke
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have been using CM9 for a couple days and without realizing it I have found that most of the things I like in ICS are the things "heavily borrowed" by the former WebOS dev at Google.

The first day I kept trying to 'upswipe' and 'side-swipe' to no avail.

If CM9 had better swipe integration with things such as deleting e-mails, switching apps, and handling multitasking like WebOS - well, it would pretty much be WebOS at that point, more or less.

I still think WebOS would be 100% there if the browser was better (sorry, but the WebOS browser is slow and will often just stop loading pages - even on 3.0.5) and they had a larger app selection. I know larger does not equal better as we don't need 200 farting apps or tip calculators, but people like to know there are many options available to them, even if they only really use 20 or so apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Email. Android side(stock), it isn't bad. I think I prefer the webOS side better. Some differences worth noting. I had an email from eBay regarding a Veer I bought. In the email, there was a tracking number. Both Android and webOS show that as a hyper-link. ONLY webOS let's you select the text as is, and copy/paste it into the USPS tracking box.(Android will let you select, but it is the actual http;//blablablaDOTcom

(The problem with just hitting the link, is then it wants you to log into your eBay account first before it goes any further. All my passwords are stored in SecuStore, and that makes it pretty hard to get the password when you're in Android. Simply copying the tracking number, going to the USPS site and pasting it in requires no login.)
    Maybe that's a CM9/ICS quirk -- in Honeycomb on my Transformer, if I long-press a link in an email, the copy menu comes up to allow me to just select the text. Maybe that's something that was taken out in ICS, but that'd be odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    The way multitasking is implemented is also problematic... I'm not sure if Android is a "true" multitasker vs freeze/park state like Windows phones but I'll give you a real world example. I'm watching youtube on ICS... an hourlong videocast from Sydney at Phonedog. I don't necessarily need to watch it but want to listen to it. As soon as I switch out of youtube to another app, it stops playing so I can't hear the dialogue. That's not really useful.
    That's not a limitation, that is by design. I know I'd be annoyed if I left a YouTube video to do something else, and the audio was still coming out of my speakers for something I couldn't watch. Perhaps there should be an option to allow the audio to continue to play, but I'm guessing most people watching a video would prefer that it pause when you leave the app.
  5.    #25  
    That may be the case, I'm not sure. I tried selecting text, in the same manner as webOS, but that didn't seem to work either. When I did a long press on the code, there were 4 or 5 options that came up, but simply copying the actual code number wasn't one of them.

At any rate, it isn't very often that I order things online eBay, eStores, etc. So, not a common problem for me. Got my Veer now, so all is good.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    WebOS is better in everything.

Android is just better as a "gaming system".
    Taking the App Catalogs out of the picture, webOS just blows away Honeycomb and ICS. I use my CM7/9 boot only for Netflix. The lack of true multitasking is just no excuse for a tablet.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007

Speaking of multitasking, I found Wave Launcher in the Market. I read 5 star review after 5 star review after 5 star review. It actually took me a long time to start finding reviews with people commenting how similar it was to their webOS phones. While Palm had a great idea whoever made that app took it a step further... Basic 5 icons pop up and when you pick one, that branches off into 5 more. Think of a wave launcher with 25 shortcuts. I think
    Palm nailed that one.
    I think I will play around with this version of Android more than the last.

I also think I will use my

webOS side of things just as much. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

I forgot about upswipe gestures.

Another thing that I'm constanly doing on the Android side of things.
    Couple more points I thought of.....

The browser issues that people have. Personally I think Android is overrated, webOS

Browser works 99% of the time for me, in fact I can't remember ANY time that it hasn't worked for me.

Keyboard... not sure why people don't like the webOS keyboard, I think it's far superior to Android's stock keyboard.

Font... people don't like webOS font....they call it ugly. The font in Android seems a little plain to me.

Just my observations, not picking any fights. To each their own.

The branching of apps and items in wavelauncher you mentioned was a slated for future updates at one point. Someone posted some internal memos and planned features to implement, and this was one of them. That was a long time ago too but not saying webOS came up with it or anything, just that this feature was not overlooked by the devs.
    I have been using CM9 for a couple days and without realizing it I have found that most of the things I like in ICS are the things "heavily borrowed" by the former WebOS dev at Google.

The first day I kept trying to 'upswipe' and 'side-swipe' to no avail.

If CM9 had better swipe integration with things such as deleting e-mails, switching apps, and handling multitasking like WebOS - well, it would pretty much be WebOS at that point, more or less.

I still think WebOS would be 100% there if the browser was better (sorry, but the WebOS browser is slow and will often just stop loading pages - even on 3.0.5) and they had a larger app selection. I know larger does not equal better as we don't need 200 farting apps or tip calculators, but people like to know there are many options available to them, even if they only really use 20 or so apps.

I just spent the last 5 hours immersed in CM9. The web browser is not faster than on webOS with 3.0.5. I just wanted to clear that up. Also, the web browsers in CM9 had issues with several flash videos I tried to play. The default browser would load mobile pages by default. I could not find a way to make desktop pages the default, just an option to switch to the desktop version after the fact.

That being said, CM9/ICS is a vast improvement over CM7/Gingerbread. ICS looks like it belongs on a tablet. The calendar was a lot better (still doesn't look as good as webOS' calendar). The notifications were about on par with webOS (finally!!) instead of the window blind joke of a notification area that Android 2.x has. You can actually dismiss them separately now by sliding them off the screen just like on webOS. Took Google until the 4th major release to get that right. The default email client is a whole lot better looking and has a unified box now but it still lacks simple yet important things like push. I couldn't get my main work email to work on it, so I won't be using it any time soon but it is nice to see the improvements. I love the transitions and animations. They added a nice touch. A lot of things don't work right in CM9 (it is an Alpha, so you can't expect much). However it is an excellent start and I am finally pleased with the direction that tablet Android is going towards.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    one thing that REALLY freaking bugs me about android is the complete and total lack of quality twitter apps

on webos there are numerous adequate twitter apps

yet on android there are zero that satisfy me

i like plume, but it is slow and clunky
    I agree with you on Twitter and Facebook. I used what has been around since almost day one on the TouchPad and it is amazing that Facebook is just getting around to being useful. Actually, the new Facebook app for ICS looks and works pretty well...Finally!!! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    That being said, CM9/ICS is a vast improvement over CM7/Gingerbread. ICS looks like it belongs on a tablet. The calendar was a lot better (still doesn't look as good as webOS' calendar). The notifications were about on par with webOS (finally!!) instead of the window blind joke of a notification area that Android 2.x has. You can actually dismiss them separately now by sliding them off the screen just like on webOS. Took Google until the 4th major release to get that right. The default email client is a whole lot better looking and has a unified box now but it still lacks simple yet important things like push. I couldn't get my main work email to work on it, so I won't be using it any time soon but it is nice to see the improvements. I love the transitions and animations. They added a nice touch. A lot of things don't work right in CM9 (it is an Alpha, so you can't expect much). However it is an excellent start and I am finally pleased with the direction that tablet Android is going towards.
    Yes exactly and I'm also glad to see ICS apps and default stuff beginning to work like I'd suspect they should or am used too. Actually, speaking of 4th major release from Android...with all that money and expertise you'd think Google could finally get things right. I guess they're in no rush. Sorli...
    k4ever -- i found option in menu (top right button) for 'force request full version'

also whoever mentioned swiping away the recent apps list -- thanks
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    The branching of apps and items in wavelauncher you mentioned was a slated for future updates at one point. Someone posted some internal memos and planned features to implement, and this was one of them. That was a long time ago too but not saying webOS came up with it or anything, just that this feature was not overlooked by the devs.
    I think Derek did a front page article on this months ago...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes exactly and I'm also glad to see ICS apps and default stuff beginning to work like I'd suspect they should or am used too. Actually, speaking of 4th major release from Android...with all that money and expertise you'd think Google could finally get things right. I guess they're in no rush. Sorli...
    You "right" isn't necessarily everyone's "right" I am shickled titless by ICS, can't wait for the official releases from Asus and HTC for my devices.
    k4ever -- i found option in menu (top right button) for 'force request full version'

also whoever mentioned swiping away the recent apps list -- thanks
    Thanks for the tip. I found that already and mentioned it in my post, but it is not a permanent solution. It is a one time deal for whatever site is open, not the whole system.

That's not a limitation, that is by design. I know I'd be annoyed if I left a YouTube video to do something else, and the audio was still coming out of my speakers for something I couldn't watch. Perhaps there should be an option to allow the audio to continue to play, but I'm guessing most people watching a video would prefer that it pause when you leave the app.
    You are one of the few people I know that would prefer something like that. Most of the people I know play music on YouTube and want the music to keep playing when they switch away from the active page. As a matter of fact YouTube has an extensive library of music "videos" that are just an album cover with the music playing for this very reason. I hate the fact that Android won't continue playing the music if I switch to another app. I find that as a major headache and proof positive that the "multi-tasking" on the platform is lacking.

You're one of the few people I know who prefer something like that I suppose I could go around and ask people, "Would you like a video you're watching on YouTube to keep playing in the background while you check your email?" and they'd likely reply, "But I'm not watching it anymore, why would it still be playing?" That would just annoy the crap out of me if I had to remember to stop the video every time.

Android is fully capable of doing what you're describing, it's not an issue with multitasking. It's an issue with user experience, not wanting "Guy Mangling Amazing Grace" to keep on coming out of the speakers when you are no longer watching it. I'm sure whoever coded the YouTube app could add that as a setting, but there's probably not much of an outcry for it.

Edit: Turns out there are apps in the Market to allow you to listen to YouTube clips in the background, so there ya go, problem solved!
    I will say that webOS multitasking rules the roost.

I mean, I can have multiple stacks of things open, a browser with research, three pdfs, a handful of documents, etc etc etc. Then I simply swipe up and sort through them easily.

It's almost like it's emulated the "desk" system. What I mean by that is, if I was doing research with real paper on my DESK, I'd have little stacks of things and could pretty easily swap between them. That's what webOS gives me, and it really is great. I swipe up, I swipe back and forth spreading the stacks or picking things out of them. Not just easy and intuitive, totally natural. When I'm done with it, I fling it straight off the desk and it's gone. It just works.

It's better than any multitaking I've ever personally used. It beats windows taskbar, it blows apple away, and android is a poor implementation.

I know android multitasks reasonably well, but it isn't the same and we all know it. I'm hoping that the newfound webOS influence on android will bring with it a change to webOS-like multitasking. Might be difficult due to patent issues, no idea... Maybe with webOS going open source those ideas can be transferred over to other systems.

All that said - I use android and will use android quite a bit, it simply has apps/uses that webOS can't match at the present time. The app gap isn't likely to get any smaller. PDF reading is better, netflix (when it is finally supported in CM9) will be great, gaming options are nice, splashtop is faster, HD adobe apps are nice (if you crank your dps to 120 you can run adobe photoshop touch and it's quite nice). I find CM9 to be quite a bit nicer to use than CM7 and I could easily see myself using it as my core OS once they knock out all the kinks. Yeah, webOS is great, but it's only a minute away if I feel like casually using it and android (properly bug-free) will do everything I really want out of a tablet.

For now of course, my touchpad is sitting here in webOS and that's just fine.
    I love your post. Your work load on your tablet seems simular to mine. This is why I bought a TouchPad over a Galaxy Tab, Xoom, or iPad. I love the way webOS handles my work load.

I'm an OS junkie and a cell phone junkie. I like trying out new things. I use to switch out cell phones every time my contract expired. When the Pre first came I was intrigued by webOS and needed to replace my Windows Mobile 6 phone. I wanted something that could handle the minor workload that I used WM6 for. The Pre looked like it fit the bill. I got a lot more than I expected. I found myself using it and relying on it more than any other device I owned. It handled everything I threw at it worked wise with ease and it was a damn easy device to use. Too bad it was falling apart and I could no longer get support for it. It was the hardest time I ever had replacing a phone. The EVO 3D I got is adequate, but I wish it had webOS on it and frankly I would replace it in a heartbeat for a decent webOS phone.

I tried other tablets and thought they were expensive toys. I bought a 7 inch Android tablet just to view movies on it and occasionally browse the Internet, but I never took it to be a serious work device. However, when I heard HP was producing a webOS tablet, I was first in line to buy one. If the little 3 inch Pre could handle what I threw at it, I figured the 10 inch TouchPad could handle more. It hasn't disappointed me.

I think unlike most people who bought the TouchPad in hopes that their favorite app would be there, I made sure the TouchPad had the apps I needed before I bought it (with the exception of document editing). I also made sure it had most of the features I needed out of the box (like Flash). I think all the other apps are cool and I would love to have them on webOS, but I bought my TouchPad for work. Android and iOS just can't handle my work load. They each need to fix their crappy multi-tasking. Google needs to realize that everyone isn't switching their email to GMail and fix the lack of push in the default email client.

On a lighter note I enjoyed using the Xfinity app in CM9 to control my DVRs. Way better than trying to use it on my phone. Since I recently cleared a lot of space on my TouchPad, I will definitely be keeping CM9 around to play with but work belongs to webOS.

Now that I put ICS on my Touchpad, I really don't have a reason to go back to WebOS. I'm hoping at some point CyanogenMod Team will allow you to get rid the WebOS partition.

For the people having issues then saying ICS isn't good, this is a alpha version of the software that runs on foreign hardware. If you're using a Galaxy Nexus, you're ICS experience will be much better.

For those that don't like the keyboard, you may want to try Smart Keyboard Pro or Swiftkey X Tablet version. I really have to disagree with those that say WebOS keyboard is better. Strongly disagree. I feel the WebOS keyboard is clunky and not intuitive.
    Wow! I spent a ton of time trying out different keyboards in Android, both on my old 7 inch tablet and on CM7. I settled with Swiftkey X Tablet for CM7 and went back to the default Archos keyboard on my old tablet. Noticed I wrote "settled with". I totally disagree with you. Android keyboards are clunky and most of the layouts don't make sense. They are loaded down with useless features to hide their inadequacies and most of those features are annoying and buggy (predictive type that doesn't get words right and takes forever to learn your habits, voice typing that you have to be monotone to get right, etc). I always find myself wanting to switch out the keyboard on an Android device to something else, but never finding anything truly better or worth spending money on. Only thing I wanted for the webOS keyboard were cursor arrows (which I now have from a patch). The layout is great. The numbers row is brilliant. Say what you want about webOS but HP got the keyboard right. So did Apple.

On your first statement, to each his own. However, CM9 is definitely not up to snuff right now and removing webOS would be foolish. You can't even transfer large files to your TouchPad in CM9 right now without crashing the file manager on Windows 7 and that is the least of your worries. Good luck with your endeavours!

You're one of the few people I know who prefer something like that I suppose I could go around and ask people, "Would you like a video you're watching on YouTube to keep playing in the background while you check your email?" and they'd likely reply, "But I'm not watching it anymore, why would it still be playing?" That would just annoy the crap out of me if I had to remember to stop the video every time.

Android is fully capable of doing what you're describing, it's not an issue with multitasking. It's an issue with user experience, not wanting "Guy Mangling Amazing Grace" to keep on coming out of the speakers when you are no longer watching it. I'm sure whoever coded the YouTube app could add that as a setting, but there's probably not much of an outcry for it.

Edit: Turns out there are apps in the Market to allow you to listen to YouTube clips in the background, so there ya go, problem solved!
    What are they called so I can download them and try them out?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast