webOS Nation Forums >  Other OS's and Devices >  Android on webOS > CM9 on the Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide!
CM9 on the Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide!
Like Tree75Likes

Old 01/23/2012, 10:33 PM   #41 (permalink)

ninja update

0.5 installs the exact same way as 0.0. If you are updating from 0.0, you can simply download the 0.5 file, then reboot into clockworkmod. Clear dalvik and cache, then install 0.5 from the zip you downloaded.

or you can start from scratch by running the uninstaller and redoing the steps.

this update includes the charging/systemui fix, so no need to use that if you are starting fresh.

I will update the instructions fully later tonight.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Heist
Old 01/23/2012, 10:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

You guys might want to hold off on 0.5 for a day or two -- I'm seeing a lot of people on rootzwiki having a lot of trouble with Wi-Fi. I haven't seen a solution posted yet.

At the very least, you should read the last few pages of the thread over there, so you know what you're getting into (or find the solution to the Wi-Fi bug).
Do Not Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 10:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

so I want to remove cm9a0, how do I do that? Use acmeunistaller from cm7 or remove android from preware?
adamjamess#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 11:51 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjamess View Post
so I want to remove cm9a0, how do I do that? Use acmeunistaller from cm7 or remove android from preware?
I put instructions in the original post on removal. I have not used the webOS remove android app in preware and cannot vouch for it.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

!!!

Old 01/23/2012, 11:52 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Touch View Post
You guys might want to hold off on 0.5 for a day or two -- I'm seeing a lot of people on rootzwiki having a lot of trouble with Wi-Fi. I haven't seen a solution posted yet.

At the very least, you should read the last few pages of the thread over there, so you know what you're getting into (or find the solution to the Wi-Fi bug).
the WiFi bug they are talking about there is related to a custom kernel that you aren't using if you followed this post

so, no worries :-)

!!!

Old 01/24/2012, 12:34 AM   #46 (permalink)

Just installed 0.5 (using CWM). No obvious issues so far.

Also, Titanium Backup is working ok now. Used to crash for me on 0.0.
P_Yiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 12:44 AM   #47 (permalink)

Seems to have fixed some graphics bugs too. Flick Kick Football looking like it's meant to now
P_Yiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 01:36 AM   #48 (permalink)

Updated the original post to reflect 0.5, and added instructions on updating from a previous version.

!!!

Old 01/24/2012, 08:12 AM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
Yes, I've also noticed that it seems to be eating up cpu cycles unnecessarily. I believe this is also related to the relatively poor battery life in CM9. I'd expect that this will be fixed as we move from an alpha 0 build into beta's or even a full 1.0 release.

As it sits though, I have to agree - it's one of the best damn alpha0's I've ever seen . I think they have an odd idea of what constitutes "alpha".
I noticed while doing some development work in Android the other day, that both CM7 and CM9 are -constantly- logging junk even when otherwise pretty much completely idle.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 08:20 AM   #50 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this was the case under v0, but I noticed after installing v0.5 that in addition to needing to set the "Media Device MTP" checkmark, I also needed to uncheck the box against "Developer options > USB Debugging" before I could access the internal folders via USB from my Windows 7 PC.

Could someone confirm this? It may be something to do with my setup. I'll test a bit more when I've got some more time later.

Spyke
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 12:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

I confirm, it's necessary to uncheck "Debogage android" (in french version) to access the internal folders via USB.
Thank's too because it was the case also under v0 and I'vnt found this fix. I was looking in the net to find a MTP pilote....
piotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Spyke
Old 01/24/2012, 01:52 PM   #52 (permalink)

Can anyone shed some light on upgrading from Alpha0 to Alpha0.5? I didn't notice any wording in the Guide as to whether or not this is possible. Since Titanium Backup doesnt work in A0, can I upgrade to A0.5 without losing data...as an "upgrade" option. New to the Android side of things so not too familiar with backing up stuff. webOS has spoiled me as to backing up all my data and apps etc.

Thanks in advance.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 02:20 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Yiddy View Post
Just installed 0.5 (using CWM). No obvious issues so far.

Also, Titanium Backup is working ok now. Used to crash for me on 0.0.
I'm on 0.0. Does this mean I cannot backup what I've installed or configured on 0.0 thus far and once I update to 0.5, I have to re-install, re-configure all over again?
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 02:53 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
Can anyone shed some light on upgrading from Alpha0 to Alpha0.5? I didn't notice any wording in the Guide as to whether or not this is possible. Since Titanium Backup doesnt work in A0, can I upgrade to A0.5 without losing data...as an "upgrade" option. New to the Android side of things so not too familiar with backing up stuff. webOS has spoiled me as to backing up all my data and apps etc.

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to copy A0.5 to your Touchpad's internal storage via USB. You should then be able to reboot into the ClockworkMod Recovery. In there you would want to choose "install a .zip from SD card." Find the location where you saved the A0.5 rom and then choose it. This should start the update process and keep your apps and settings.

Since you're concerned about backups, make sure you do a backup and restore prior to installing 0.5.

Last edited by barrysanders20; 01/24/2012 at 02:59 PM.
barrysanders20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: DJeremyC
Old 01/24/2012, 02:53 PM   #55 (permalink)

There is no problem to upgrade from v0 to v0.5. Nothing to reconfigure or reinstall.
Just read the ncinerate update on the first post.
Old 01/24/2012, 04:17 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
how long should it take once i run the installer2 command? my touchpad did show a bunch of stuff loading up for a bit then paused with a screen full of commands and now is black with the exception of two penguins sitting in the upper left corner (landscape). so how long does it usually take? just unsure if I need to wait longer or if its not happing correctly

So I used safari to download files which auto unzipped them, that was the problem. Used Firefox and started over and it installed and booted up within a few minutes. Have to say that ics is fun to e/lore so far
loopytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 04:39 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
There's an entire section on upgrading through clockworkmod.

So far as I can tell it's totally safe from alpha 0 to 0.5. That may not -always- be the case with future updates, but generally speaking you can upgrade without issue if you follow the instructions posted in my initial guide.

!!!

Old 01/24/2012, 04:59 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
You should be able to copy A0.5 to your Touchpad's internal storage via USB. You should then be able to reboot into the ClockworkMod Recovery. In there you would want to choose "install a .zip from SD card." Find the location where you saved the A0.5 rom and then choose it. This should start the update process and keep your apps and settings.

Since you're concerned about backups, make sure you do a backup and restore prior to installing 0.5.
K, call me dumb again. But what/where is this backup/restore. Is it in android itself or you just meaning to copy everything from the android partition to somewhere else?

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 06:04 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
K, call me dumb again. But what/where is this backup/restore. Is it in android itself or you just meaning to copy everything from the android partition to somewhere else?
it's in CWM (Clockwork Mod)
rquinn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 02:55 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
I confirm, it's necessary to uncheck "Debogage android" (in french version) to access the internal folders via USB.
Thank's too because it was the case also under v0 and I'vnt found this fix. I was looking in the net to find a MTP pilote....
When "debogage android" (USB debugging) is unchecked, titanium backup doesn't work. It works perfectly when checked.

Tags
android, guide, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0