Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
    Well, although I am a confirmed webOS fan, and have been since the original Pre-minus came out, I thought I would take the plunge and try Android ICS on my Touchpad. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The OS is fairly intuitive and runs very smoothly and apart from the camera and microphone not working it seems pretty bug-free for an Alpha release (alpha0.6). The installation was very simple and hassle-free for me (much easier than some of the other things I've done with webOS - changing the GPS mode, installing webOS 2.1 on my old Pre-minus or unlocking it with Nextgen for example).
    I guess its a matter of how you use your Touchpad but like many on this forum I still much prefer webOS although there are a handful of apps that are now unlikely to ever be available on webOS and which are useful to have on the Android partition.
    There are a couple of "Idiots guide to installing Android ICS on your Touchpad" videos on YouTube which make it even easier:
    Idiots Guide 2.0 - Install Android on HP Touchpad - YouTube
    and

which as an ***** I personally found really useful....
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjzz12 View Post
    Okay, CM9 users, I've just got a handful of questions before I decide that I'm ready to make the jump, if you'll help me out. I'm sorry if any have already been covered.

1. Do I choose the size of each OS, or do they simply share hard drive space?
    2. How much space does the Android install occupy? Is a dual booting 16 gig Touchpad a poor experience?
    3. I've read about the 120 vs. 160 dpi toggle option - does the TouchPad look "bad" or "unprofessional" on the default setting?
    4. How capable is it as a gaming device? Will graphics-intensive 3d (Asphalt 6, or FIFA, etc.) games be easily and smoothly playable, or will that hopefully come later?

Again, I'm sorry if these questions are rehash. They'll just determine whether I install now or when a more developed beta emerges.
    Gaming is perfect - it'll run anything from grand theft auto 3 to asphalt 6 to nova 2. Also great at emulating, and can be paired to a 6axis for emulation .

120 vs 160 dpi = bigger or smaller icons/more screen space (everything is smaller, basically). I think 120 is too small, but it allows you to use photoshop touch, so, you can decide if you like it. 160 DPI makes your keyboard huge and intrusive.

Android is pretty small, a few GB are going to be taken up overall, works fine on a 16gb touchpad.

They share HD space as far as mass storage goes, so you dont have to worry about space.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  3. pj_
    Great guides, ncinerate.

I have ubuntu chroot on separate partition installed in webos. I am wondering if there is way to make it working in android?
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I'm trying to uninstall CM7 from my touchpad to put CM9 on but I can't find a valid ACMEUninstaller file for CM7. Also, if anyone has done this process on a Mac could they provide some help. Every video I find involves a pc. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post
    Thanks. I can now see the SDcard folder and can drop epub files into existing folders but the Android Nook app does not see them. And it won't let me add a Nook folder and My Documents folder to the SDCard main folder. I'll have to search a bit more.
    Seems this is an issue with my XP or XP in general. Works fine with Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by myPad5 View Post
    I'm trying to uninstall CM7 from my touchpad to put CM9 on but I can't find a valid ACMEUninstaller file for CM7. Also, if anyone has done this process on a Mac could they provide some help. Every video I find involves a pc. Thanks.

CyanogenMod team has released a tool called ACMEUninstaller which you can use to completely remove Android and change your partitions back to their normal size.
    Just download the latest version from the link at the RootzWiki forum, unzip the app to your Palm Novacom directory and run it the same way you would run the ACMEInstaller app:

ie. Run the:
    • “novacom boot mem:// < ACMEUninstaller” command.. sorry it's not in Mac-speak!

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    When I click on the link for ACMEUninstaller, link brings up a page that is unavailable. Also, the only Palm file I can find on my comp is the Palm SDK file, thats it.
    When I click on the link for ACMEUninstaller, link brings up a page that is unavailable. Also, the only Palm file I can find on my comp is the Palm SDK file, thats it.

My apologies.. that was an old CM7 guide and I didn't recheck that the link was still 'live'!

Please try this one instead: Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading ACMEUninstaller

Then install WOSQI from webOS internals (and run the prompt to download & install Novacom Drivers).. that will create the 'Palm, Inc' folder in Program Files also containing the Novacom Driver... where you also then place the (unzipped) ACMEUninstaller file, prior to finding that file_path & running the Command Line Prompt @ #166 above (with your TP plugged in to the USB on the Puter and in 'Recovery Mode', obviously!).. again not in Mac-speak.. only PC-speak.. I'm afraid! That should totally demolish any remnants of Android CM7 and it's partitions prior to your fresh CM9 install.

Also: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-rel...od-9-touchpad/

Hope this is clear.. Good Luck & Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/13/2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Thanks Mutoidi for that updated info. Will be trying this in a few and will let you know hoe I make out.
    No Worries myPad5.. you'll be right.. just follow the guide exactly and cruise into an (Alpha) CM9 experience!

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    No Worries myPad5.. you'll be right.. just follow the guide exactly and cruise into an (Alpha) CM9 experience!

So I followed the steps and have CM9 installed and didn't lose any apps, info, etc. Thanks again.

Are you having any wifi issues like CM7?
    The only thing I don't like about having android is that after installing it you really only have 10gb of user space available. Remember that the webOS partition is 4gb and the Android partition is 2gb and that leaves you with 10gb of user space. Running webOS only leaves you will 12gb. This is not Android's fault at all. Hopefully they will come up with a way to free the webOS partition so i can have 14 gb on the USB drive.
    On a Mac, you should be able to put the acmeuninstaller file on your desktop. Make sure you have novacom installed (use webosquick install to get the newest drivers). Then open up terminal on your mac and navigate to desktop directory (cd desktop) and simply run the acme uninstaller command provided above.

Android adds bunches of folders for apps and storage to the media partition so you might want to connect your TouchPad afterwards to your Mac, put your Touchpad in USB mode and remove those folders.

Tailor app in Preware will get you back the lost partition space.
    Ok, followed the directions ... didn't seem difficult but somehow I have a problem.

When installing there were quite a few timeout errors. I didn't write them down, unfortunately. It also seemed to take a long time to do the install.

However, after a few minutes the tp rebooted to the moboot 0.3.5 menu. Woohoo!!! Except that the only options listed are :

boot webOS
    boot webOS Recovery
    reboot
    shutdown

I rebooted just for fun but the same thing came up.

Any ideas?
    Hello there. I'm having a similar problem as intron, only I have clockworkmod listed in my bootlist. However, after installing the 2 zip files, i do a system reboot from clockworkmod, but the following Moboot screen doesn't show me Android as an OS choice. It just boots directly into webOS every time. What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing something? Thanks.
    I am pretty sure it simply isn't finding the install files, but I have no idea why. They are exactly where they are supposed to be.

I tried the install again and this time its been 'installing' for about 1.5 hours with timeout messages like this:

[ 3548.294803] msm_timer_set_next_event(12) clock dg_timer, alarm already expired, now 939719d2, alarm 939719d6, late -4

Slight variations of that message appear over and over again. Hmmmm
    Doh! I figured it out. Somehow the file downloads got corrupted on my PC so they were bunk. It seems to be installing quite nicely now. Nice write up. Thanks
    So I followed the steps and have CM9 installed and didn't lose any apps, info, etc. Thanks again.

Are you having any wifi issues like CM7?

Yay.. glad that all went across smoothly 4 U.

No Wifi issues at all with CM9 that I've noticed.. sometimes I appear to lose connectivity.. but that may well be due to the server up the line.. not CM9 as such.. anyway a quick re-boot usually stabilises it again. I may have noticed Wifi being more stable if already turned 'ON' before the next CM9 boot.. but it might also be just my 'imagination'! All good!

(Actually that's not a bad 'name' is it - 'webOS Imagi-Nation'!

'dalingrin' estimates no more 'Alpha' updates nec. for CM9 now..
    'Nightly' updates instead anyone? Presumably until 'Beta' status is officially reached.
    Create backup of existing install first of course!

Here is the most recent at time of posting:

Techerrata Downloads - Downloading update-cm-9.0.0-tenderloin-KANG-20120216-040001-signed.zip

@ https://twitter.com/#!/cm_tenderloin

~~~

Full File Download-List:

http://www.techerrata.com/browse/nig...ngs/tenderloin

~~~

Gerrit Code Review

~~~

With Big thanks to all the crews!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/16/2012 at 10:40 AM.
    So I did a clean install of CM9 yesterday. Installed was quick and easy, for an alpha it runs quite nice. No problems yet! Quick question, how to pair a ps3 controller to my TP running this rom.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast