Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
    This is just a quick update and overview of the installation and upgrade processes I have gone through in the past few days - hopefully it will help other newbs that come along...

First, I want to thank ncinerate for his great intro threads on the TouchPad and installing CM9 - what a wonderful set of tools to have when someone is first entering this playground! There are a few little 'gotchas' that you may run into along the way, but enough reading in these forums (and particularly RootzWiki) will keep you moving forward.

To begin with, I had never touched Android in any form on any device - an absolute newb! And I wasn't all that experienced with WebOS either. But following ncinerate's first post in this thread made things go very smoothly.

The first major decision we have to make in this process is what release to start with - I chose to go with the most current nightly A2 release and the 01/01/12 version of GAPPS referenced in ncinerate's first post, and this worked VERY well for me, but more on that later! From what I have seen, there are definitely a lot of changes that have been incorporated into the code since the official A2 release, so I do recommend using a fairly current nightly.

The first minor issue that many of us seem to hit (including me) is just executing novacom. The instructions say that if it does not work, that "means novacom is not properly set up on your computer." While this sounds like something is not done correctly, I suspect that is not technically correct. And the great news is that ncinerate does give us the correct and easy workaound to simply move the ACMEInstaller to the directory that actually contains the novacom.exe file and just run it from there. Now for WHY some of us have this problem - I suspect it is because there are numerous ways to get the novacom drivers installed on the Touchpad. I think the original way was by installing the official WebOS SDK, which "correctly" sets it up to run from any location. But now when you follow the links in the Getting Started Guide, you also see that it is very easy to just install novacom via the WebOS Quick Instal tool, which is what I did. I suspect that this is the difference why some of us must use the workaround.

Once I gave up trying to figure out why novacom wasn't "properly set up" on my computer and just used the workaround, the rest of the entire install went flawlessly. I used the 03/18 nightly release and the 01/01/12 GAPPS release, and I did not find a single problem with this combination while I was playing around, downloading apps from the market and generally learning how to use Android. Getting the W7 side of file sharing on the network working properly was WAY more difficult than anything I had to learn in Android.

I have installed several new nightly releases using the UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS from the very beginning of ncinerat's post, and the process could not be easier - very simple and very fast. I do recommend that you do a Nandroid backup (using the backup feature of ClockworkMod) after you get your first good working version of CM9 running - this will give you a very simple way to start over again if something goes awry later, especially during any upgrades.

And now a few words about apps - it seems to me from reading these forums that upgrading GAPPS causes way more problems for some folks than the typical CM9 code update. The actual update process is just exactly the same as updating a CM9 nightly, so it is easy and fast, but you want to make sure you have a fallback plan if you run into problems. I'll describe my own experience in a minute, but let's start by downloading a free app called Titanium Backup - this little gem can really save your ****! And even though it is called a backup, it is entirely different than the Nandroid backup you get from ClockworkMod. Before you try your first major change or gapps upgrade, use Titanium Backup in batch mode to do a "Backup all user apps + system data".

So now my little tale of upgrading gapps: As I said above, my first installation of 03/18 CM9 and 01/01 GAPPS went perfectly, and I had no problems while testing them. When I did my first CM9 update to 03/23, the CM9 change actually removed a number of installed gapps, but I did not even notice it at the time. Everything that was still there continued to work fine for me. And then I tried to update gapps to the most current version - 03/17. the flash worked without error, but after CM9 came back up, NONE of the gapps would work! The error was the same for gmail, the market (now called Google Play) and anything else I tried - they would briefly flash and then shut down. This was particularly irritating because I saw a number of folks who were having no problem with the versions of CM9 and gapps that I was trying to use. I did numerous restores and tried the update over and over using different nightly releases, but the results were the same every single time.

In the end, I only found a single option to get the 03/17 gapps working without wiping the tablet and starting over fresh - I had to use the Delete data/Factory Reset option in ClockworkMod. And when you do this, all your downloaded apps and setup data will be completely gone when you reboot CM9! But if you have done the Titanium Backup I recommended, this is nothing bit a slight hiccup. When CM9 first comes up, you will have to go through the initial setup screens to enable Wi-Fi and add your google account, but when that is done, the new market will immediately start re-installing all the old downloaded apps (provided, of course, that you had your device sync with your google account). And at any point in this process, you simply start Titanium Backup and tell it to restore all system data - presto - everything is back the way it was and the new gapps are working.

I may have only been working with this for a week now, but I have learned a lot and am having a blast - hope the trip is as good for everyone!
    Last edited by Mauserkm; 03/26/2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typos
    I just bought a Logitech v470 Bluetooth mouse . But my HP touch pad does not detect the mouses. I am running cm9 alpha 2 . I have a targus Bluetooth keyboard and it connects well.

Can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcamacho228 View Post
    I got madden 12 and most game loft games to work. With madden 12 you need the data files which you get when successfully installing it on another ICS device. Download file then move it to root of sdcard. As for Game loft games follow this video= YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    I did all the steps to edit the build.prop file in the 1st place. That's how i got both the samsung, DRIODX and the different resolution to change. I did restart the touchpad too. Still doesn't work for some reason. I have CM9A2. Should i update it to the nightly builds?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    If your home/desktop is getting cluttered with app icons, try grouping them by stacking like ones. A folder with the icons will be generated that you can name. Plus you will be able to see the icons in the folder....Yes I am new to android!
    I installed the latest daily version.

Where can I keep track of the new versions as they come out and what they do to decide if I want to update?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflu View Post
    I installed the latest daily version.

Where can I keep track of the new versions as they come out and what they do to decide if I want to update?
    Techerrata Downloads - Browsing tenderloin has the daily versions, but I don't know where to find the change logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcamacho228 View Post
    I got madden 12 and most game loft games to work. With madden 12 you need the data files which you get when successfully installing it on another ICS device. Download file then move it to root of sdcard. As for Game loft games follow this video= YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    I followed this video and made the change to Samsung gt-i9100 as suggested and it made very little difference. Gt racing and brothers in arms 2 both crash when loading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inglebert View Post
    I managed to install and run successfully some of Gameloft games by editing the /system/build.prop file with these changes:
    ro.product.model=SGH-T989
    ro.product.brand=samsung
    ro.product.name=SGH-T989
    ro.product.device=SGH-T989

But I still cant run The Sims Free Play and some games from Gameloft. (Latest nightly)

Anyone had better results with a different setting than the Samsung SGH-T989 ?
    Six guns is the only game that I've remotely been able to play by game loft. But it doesn't matter if I use sght989 or gti9100 the game hangs up and freezes about every five or ten minutes with each version
    I have the 010112 gapps working, is this the latest stable version?

I am still unable to install Amazon app store. Any help appreciated.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Finally installed it a couple nights ago. Everything seems overly large. Is that what the 120dpi file supposed to fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulieesther View Post
    Six guns is the only game that I've remotely been able to play by game loft. But it doesn't matter if I use sght989 or gti9100 the game hangs up and freezes about every five or ten minutes with each version
    guess i'm not the only one. and like u said..six guns only works for 6 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by acheung128 View Post
    I did all the steps to edit the build.prop file in the 1st place. That's how i got both the samsung, DRIODX and the different resolution to change. I did restart the touchpad too. Still doesn't work for some reason. I have CM9A2. Should i update it to the nightly builds?
    Which game did you try playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulieesther View Post
    I followed this video and made the change to Samsung gt-i9100 as suggested and it made very little difference. Gt racing and brothers in arms 2 both crash when loading.
    I said most game loft games work not all. For some reason GT racing has problems, but Asphalt 6 still works.
    Okay, I don't know how else to say this, but I just upgraded to the most recent nightly build, and it is just sexy. Way smoother animations, sweet sleep animation, new boot animation, haptic feedback doesn't go away after sleep, lots of cool stuff.
    Edit: Okay, I lied about the haptic feedback. Same as always.
    Last edited by kjzz12; 03/29/2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Just did the update from from CM9 Alpha 2 and GAPPS from 01012012 to the latest official nightly 20120329 and GAPPS 20120317. Eventually everything worked fine though updating to the latest GAPPS was not straight forward.

Here's what I did:
    1. Created a nandroid backup via ClockWorkMod and a full Titanium backup. Copied both to a local PC (just in case).
    2. Booted into CWM, wiped the cache and the Dalvik cache (under advanced options)
    3. Installed the CM 20120329 nightly (via install ZIP from SD card)
    4. Installed the 0317 GAPPS (also via install ZIP from SD card)
    5. Rebooted into ICS (nice new boot animiation )

However, none of the GAPPS (Email, Calendar, Gmail, etc.) were working (when I tapped on them in the launcher or in the app drawer they would only flash for a split second, there was also no option to add a Google account in Settings/Accounts). So I continued with:
    6. Booted into CWM recovery
    7. Wiped cache and Dalvik cache
    8. Installed gapps_fixer.zip (via Install ZIP from SD card)
    9. Rebooted into ICS

Again, none of the GAPPS apps would work. So I continued with:
    10. Repeated steps 6. to 8.
    11. Wiped cache
    12. Rebooted into ICS

Et voila all my GAPPS were working! All I had to do was entering my Google account details (in the GMAIL app), replace the Email launcher icon from the drawer and enter my Exchange account details (for my work email). This process was not very elegant but took only about 10 minutes . I don't know what eventually did the trick (installing gapps_fixer twice or wiping the cache afterwards). Still overall better than a factory reset which would require to get all apps installed again and then restore all system data via a Titanum restore.

Before starting I'd recommend copying all ZIP files (latest CM9 nightly, 0317 GAPPS and the gapps_fixer) to the SD card (I used the root directory). I did this in webOS as I can mount it as a USB drive (faster than MTP transfer via ICS). I'd also recommend checking the MD5 hash of all those ZIP files after they were copied (you never know).

So far the 0329 nighly works very well. I ran an AnTuTu benchmark and it went up from 4576 to 4736 (with 1188 MHz CPU speed).
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    So...I'm pretty much getting ready to crack and mod my TP for Android; I want my full kindle app, netflix, and the ability to play Angry Birds Space (if possible), etc >.>

And since the one app or whatever that HP/whoever were allegedly working on to run Android apps in TP screens is still vaporware as far as I can tell, may as well consider this.

Just from a quick read-around though, it seems like this version is still in an Alpha state; would it be better to use something like the other CM7 Android mod for now for the above items and go to this when it's in a better state? Or is the info from the front page dated by now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xezat View Post
    So...I'm pretty much getting ready to crack and mod my TP for Android; I want my full kindle app, netflix, and the ability to play Angry Birds Space (if possible), etc >.>

And since the one app or whatever that HP/whoever were allegedly working on to run Android apps in TP screens is still vaporware as far as I can tell, may as well consider this.

Just from a quick read-around though, it seems like this version is still in an Alpha state; would it be better to use something like the other CM7 Android mod for now for the above items and go to this when it's in a better state? Or is the info from the front page dated by now?

Go for CM9 not CM7.. even Alpha_CM9 seems to be very stable and is far in advance of CM7 IMHO.. and it's getting better every day!

So I had CM9 all working on my 16gb Touchpad.

Had an active/live background (Ice Galaxy)

Had LCD DPI app installed and set to 120.

Decided to update to new nightly build.

Follow all instructions to wipe cache and davick etc.

Installed new build.

Android started but has gone back to standard DPI.

Now it usually unlocks to a frozen background with no buttons or options.

If I start it from a cold boot in to Android I may see a few icons but can't select anything to set the DPI back to 120 and thereby make everything fit on the screen again.

Is there anything I can do to

1) Get the DPI back so I may be select things and see if it's just that that messed selections up.

2) Not have to start all over again ?

I had some apps etc installed and it condigured how I liked it but didn't (I know, I know) back up. Plan was to get the new build working and then back up everything with Titanium etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

By all means install the CM9 3/29 Official level. Other than camera and mic it works great. You can always boot back to webos if you want to, I never do. Kindle and Angry Birds yes, don't use Netflix so can't say about it.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

I have never used CM7 but CM9 is very stable and useable. You can either go with Alpha 2 or one of the newer official nightlies.

--Sent from my TouchPad running ICS