Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skanji View Post
    Guys - simple, stupid question...

I've been following the progress of CM for quite a few months, but kinda made up my mind that I wouldn't try it until it was in beta mode. I'm hearing a lot of buzz about the latest CM9 release. But when do you guys think we will be in Beta mode?

Cheers!
    I don't know when the beta will be released, but I must say the alpha releases have been pretty solid. I was going to wait until a beta, but I became impatient, & everyone I asked about the alpha had good things to say about it. I loaded up Alpha .6 two weeks ago & it's been great. Last night I upgraded to Alpha 2, and I am still pleased, CM9 works surprisingly well for a alpha. The only reason I have not to recommend it, is if you need to use the camera or mic; as of now they still don't work in CM9.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I just want to be sure I get this right this time...

If I am going to update from .05 to Alpha 2, do I only need to install and run the Alpha 2 download?

Do I need to put Clockworkmod or Moboot back on? When I went from CM7 to CM9 I did not put Clockworkmod or Moboot back on and I had to Doctor my TP.

I did read the first post, and from what I understand, I should only have to install the Alpha 2....but I wanted to verify.

Thanks.
    Upgrading a CM9 alpha build is much easier than going from CM7 to CM9. Here's a video walk through for upgrading to aplha 2 from a previous CM9 alpha. I'd recommed subscribing to his youtube channel or bookmarking it. His videos are easy to follow, and are very helpful for installing/updating CM7/CM9 builds.

[YT]v=PDO1Jj3NYDw[/YT]
    Quote Originally Posted by davec53 View Post
    Looks like some wi-fi issues have been troubling some folks with the move to 1.0, as well as some other little things that I think will keep me holding at 0.5 for right now. i'm never in any real need to view HD video on my Touchpad just yet, so not a priority.

*knock on wood*, most everything seems to be in good enough shape with 0.5 that I don't want to risk losing what goodies I've already got right now. battery life was the big problem i was having, but after installing a battery manager, it seems to have improved that TREMENDOUSLY, so I think i'm going to hold out until a few more kinks get worked out.

still unbelievable how great this is for ALPHA software!! wow.
    What battery manager did you install??? As of right now, that's the only complaint I have. Though I don't have any issues getting through the day, I notice the battery drains much faster in CM9 than it does in webOS.
  3.    #243  
    I went ahead and updated the OP to alpha 2.0. I'll also be adding some new information (tips and tricks, potential wifi fixes, and a few upgrades) over the next few days.

2.0 is working brilliantly for me. Loving it!
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by davec53 View Post
    LOL>..and to follow up AGAIN! it appears that maybe it is just SOME apps that it is objecting to? i just installed some others and they went on just fine...so...a mystery.

still, i may install the latest market update anyway and give the 120dpi patch a test drive.
    This sounds like a google apps issue. I had this after one of the older alpha upgrades (I think I had also fiddled with DPI which screwed things up if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, fixing it required a full restore.

On the plus side, I had an easily available backup, since I keep each working version backed up in clockworkmod just in case I blow something up . If you don't have a backup, I'd actually suggest you start fresh if necessary as this should be easily fixable - unless the bug is something you can live with, which is understandable .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    how do you back up? :-)
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    how do you back up? :-)
    Go into clockworkmod. The option to create a backup is there, and quite simple to use. Takes a few minutes and you have a nice permanent backup saved on the device that you can restore to - much easier than having to reinstall -everything-.

The only downside is currently we are in a pretty rapidly-changing period of alpha development, so a backup you make will be hopelessly outdated in the not-so-near-future. Still worth it if you are doing any serious tweaking like myself .

Despite all of the reading, if you prepare correctly this is easy as heck to carry out vs. the other install guides (use meta-doctor, split your USB partition into 2, etc.) Sure, a bad app or hack can torch both OS's, but from the speed of installation, it's less than 20 minutes to install once you've run webOSDoctor, which I can imagine the Rootzwiki guide taking much longer in prep and execution. (On a computer without the SDK, running Meta-Doctor for the first time takes a while.) Not to mention I don't have to worry where I put my files (Both USB Partitions point to the same place... none of the "Did I save this in webOS or Android?" crap).

I installed Alpha 1 earlier this week, will prob. skip Alpha 2 for now since I quit Netflix, waiting for later releases. (If it ain't broke...) Thanks for all the hard work, will stay tuned for later developments.
    Last edited by rennock; 02/24/2012 at 12:49 PM.
    ncinerate: "..(I think I had also fiddled with DPI which screwed things up if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, fixing it required a full restore.."

An easy way to fiddle with and UNfiddle the DPI settings is to use the simple App called 'DPI Changer Utility'.. Free.

9.    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    ncinerate: "..(I think I had also fiddled with DPI which screwed things up if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, fixing it required a full restore.."

An easy way to fiddle with and UNfiddle the DPI settings is to use the simple App called 'DPI Changer Utility'.. Free.

Oh no, I know that - but for some reason after I'd played with DPI settings I was unable to get back full app store access even -after- fixing my DPI to the proper numbers.

I have no idea why this was, but for some reason google marketplace seemed to be still considering me to be sitting at the oddball DPI instead of the repaired 160 or 120. Some other users noted similar issues, and it was fixed by a restore of a backup. Go figure.

"Step 2: Prepare the Touchpad for installation.

To prepare the Touchpad for installation, you must first plug the touchpad into your computer as a USB drive and there are several files we must transfer to the device.

When you plug your touchpad into the computer and put it in USB mode, then explore the touchpad as a USB drive, it is automatically in the /media/internal folder."

Hey guys, dumb question. When I plug my Touchpad into my windows PC and search it, I'm not seeing this "/media/internal" folder. What am I doing wrong? Does this mean that once I click into the Touchpad drive I'm already in media internal? Sorry, but I don't want to brick it. Thanks.
    "..I have no idea why this was, but for some reason google marketplace seemed to be still considering me to be sitting at the oddball DPI instead of the repaired 160 or 120. Some other users noted similar issues, and it was fixed by a restore of a backup. Go figure.."

Yeah.. one just doesn't know - A). Exactly what Google are up to and where.. and B). Exactly what 'DPI Changer does.. or perhaps more to the point.. does NOT do!

Glad it's sorted now anyway! 160 suits me fine!

Quote Originally Posted by paulieesther View Post
    Does this mean that once I click into the Touchpad drive I'm already in media internal?
    Yes.

Spyke
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Background:

I uninstalled CM7, then installed CM9 2

Install went fine, but now I can't get past the welcome screen. When I tap the android guy to begin setup I get an error: "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped."

Now, if I go into the clock on the bottom right, I can get into settings, and actually connected to WiFi, etc, but I still cannot get past the setup wizard screen, which means I cannot get to the home screen.

Anyone else have this issue?
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbz28 View Post
    Background:

Install went fine, but now I can't get past the welcome screen. When I tap the android guy to begin setup I get an error: "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped."

Now, if I go into the clock on the bottom right, I can get into settings, and actually connected to WiFi, etc, but I still cannot get past the setup wizard screen, which means I cannot get to the home screen.

Nope. Sounds like you had a failed install. Double check to ensure you have non-corrupted files downloaded (hell, re-download everything), run the uninstaller, and attempt re-installation.

This probably has nothing to do with CM7 or CM9 but...in webOS I no longer have the Empty Trash option. I am in the trash folder and I hit the preferences tab on the top left, but empty trash is not there. I have CM9 A 2.0 installed now.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue. I did have to Dr my TP back to 3.0.5 a few weeks ago but that should not have meesed with it. That update brought back the empty trash option.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    wifi drop issues...i had CM7 but removed it and went back to fresh WebOs 3.0.5 (doctored to full default). ICS CM9 2.0 looked promising so decided to install it. But, i'm still having the wifi drop issue. This only happens at my workplace though and not at my home or any other wifi sources. In WebOS there is no issue using it at my workplace. Is there something different with wifi set-up inside Android than on WebOS? This is the only issue that's keeping me stay with CM9 for good.

Overall, i'm still happy with WebOS, the only use i think for CM9 2.0 is Netflix.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbz28 View Post
    Background:

I had the same exact problem after doing a hard reset. I have not had time to mess with it since then. I posted this same problem on page 12. I already had cm9 and was just trying to update from alpha 1 to 2
    I'm having issues streaming videos online now...I've only tested 3gp videos so far (streaming from a mobile website).

Here's what happens -

1. Either Gallery will FC
    2. The movie will be stuck buffering
    3. The movie might play, but there won't be any sound.

This is after going from .6 to 1 to 2 (versions). I cleaned the cache and davlik before each install.
    updated to alpha 2 and it is great.....I do notice that when I reboot the touchpad turns off. Is a driver needed or was this fixed in alpha 2? It was working previously with the nightly builds. Thanks for any help...
  20.    #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexb View Post
    wifi drop issues...i had CM7 but removed it and went back to fresh WebOs 3.0.5 (doctored to full default). ICS CM9 2.0 looked promising so decided to install it. But, i'm still having the wifi drop issue. This only happens at my workplace though and not at my home or any other wifi sources. In WebOS there is no issue using it at my workplace. Is there something different with wifi set-up inside Android than on WebOS? This is the only issue that's keeping me stay with CM9 for good.

Overall, i'm still happy with WebOS, the only use i think for CM9 2.0 is Netflix.
    Have you tried the wifi fixer app discussed here?:

http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...sible-fix.html

Try that, lots of reports that it's fixing the issue.