Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #21  
    <threads merged>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2. #22  
    Got this up and running last night, it's pretty awesome. I would encourage anyone who tried CM7 and left disappointed, give this a try. I was using CM7 3.5 latest version, and didn't really like it. Lots of apps would just mysteriously crash, Amazon Kindle program wouldn't download any books, the Currents app would often crash while refreshing content, the NYTimes app would often hang and need to be force quit while scrolling, etc.

    This alpha 0 of ICS is already better than the newest CM7. All those issues I had above are just gone, and the improvements are too many to count. Seriously, give this a shot. It rocks even in its current alpha 0 state.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  3. #23  
    opps..didn't look in other tablets......mine is a HP Touchpad...LOL
    Same here with my thread. When I want to talk TouchPad I instinctively go to the TouchPad forum. This is the TouchPad bespoke CM9 build after all so I'm still not sure why it belongs in Other Tablets but whatever. I can't wait for the bits of broken/missing functionality to be resolved in a future build.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  4. #24  
    I am one of those still looking in from outside trying to decide whether to install Android on my TP or not. Now that ICS is out, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for a more stable version. Now it's just a matter of time I install this beast. Don't get me wrong, I like WebOS but having a choice is always good.
    trowany likes this.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #25  
    For those that are thinking about taking the plunge, there is some good news. The new ACMEInstaller2 installer release still supports multiple-boot operating systems. So you can still keep webOS around, or rather, you can use webOS as the default and have ICS sitting on the side for when you really need it.
    Just in case people missed it on the front page of WebOS nation by the Editor-in-chief.
  6. #26  
    Makes for interesting reading from an android fan.

    On Tablets, Android 4.0 is an Ice Cream Headache | ZDNet
    Siobhán

    Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

    I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
  7. #27  
    I am one of those still looking in from outside trying to decide whether to install Android on my TP or not. Now that ICS is out, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for a more stable version. Now it's just a matter of time I install this beast. Don't get me wrong, I like WebOS but having a choice is always good.
    Same here. I'm not ready to install it yet but it's only a matter of time. If I hadn't grown to appreciate webOS so much I'd probably have installed CM by now. I'm not big on apps so webOS actually serves me well.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  8. P_Yiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #28  
    If I'm honest I can't think of any reason not to install it. It's a dual boot option so has no impact on webOS. Better to have the option of both systems than to be tied down to one IMO.

    Takes about 15-30 mins to setup (depending on how techie you are) and if you don't like it you can remove it just as easily. I think there's even an app in preware that we will delete any Android installations.

    I still love webOS and use it for most things (email, browsing, media) but having Android means I can still do stuff that won't work on webOS. For example, Tune In radio on webOS is limited by the native format support so I can't listen to my favourite radio station whereas it works fine on the Android version of the app.

    Also, ICS is much closer to the webOS experience in terms of navigation and ease of use. Still not as good but much better than Gingerbread.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  9. #29  
    <threads merged>

    A little late to the party CGK, but we'll still let you in
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. #30  
    How does the multitasking compare to webOS? Can I switch between applications in an active state?

    Even if possible, I realize most apps will need time to update to take advantage of the new features.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by EndOfLevelBoss View Post
    Same here with my thread. When I want to talk TouchPad I instinctively go to the TouchPad forum. This is the TouchPad bespoke CM9 build after all so I'm still not sure why it belongs in Other Tablets but whatever.
    it's in other tablets because enough people dislike the idea of putting android on a touchpad so bad that they don't want it discussed in the touchpad forum. I'm not sure if they actually believe putting android on at touchpad no longer makes it a touchpad but that's sort of the inference. Either way they'd rather people not talk about it. Interestingly, it's not all OS's. I think they leave most the Ubuntu threads in touchpads. But android and IOS seem to ruffle people's feathers. It is what it is. you eventually just learn where stuff is likely to be.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  12. #32  
    Well, this is WebOS Nation
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  13. #33  
    I can understand where there is some confusion, but I would like to remind people of a few things:

    (this taken from http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...l-members.html .....dated 18 June 2011, almost 1 month prior to the HP TouchPad release.)


    Dear P|C members, we heard you!

    Pre|Central is the #1 community for webOS enthusiasts to learn, share, and discuss all things webOS. Our members want it to stay that way, and we want to help. Your input has been the catalyst for our efforts to keep this site all about H/Palm and webOS.


    There are still many members that come to this site for their webOS phones,

    Pre-
    Pre+
    Pre2
    Pre3
    Pixi
    Pixi+
    HP Veer

    all of which are webOS devices.

    I also believe that those other OS's ie Ubuntu etc were in fact projects worked on by webOS Homebrew developers and made available through Preware, and as a result, still pertained to webOS.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HelloNNNewman and LurkerX like this.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #34  
    Something has gone wrong somewhere when even articles by the editor-in-chief of WebOSnation get merged and hidden away in the basement,
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

    I also believe that those other OS's ie Ubuntu etc were in fact projects worked on by webOS Homebrew developers and made available through Preware, and as a result, still pertained to webOS.
    If you say so. Still seems a logical stretch to me. But whatever floats people's boat.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  16. #36  
    Damn you Duarte !

    ICS has just type, supports all of the keys of my cheap bluetooth keyboard, can scroll in browser with the arrows, and has a 90 degrees rotated card view for multitasking (you can even flick to "whatever-android-does-to-close-an-app" to the right ...)

    I still love WebOS, but ... the end is nigh, Android is getting more user-friendly and usable with every release ...
  17. #37  
    Ill admit, ICS is nice an all, with its 'webos' like features, and the really nice alpha realease. which in my opinion, is much better than the CM7 one. However, as many will agree, its getting closer to the OS we all love. It definitely isnt as fluid still, and not as nice looking. (regarding the homescreen and app launcher uurrgh)

    It is nice having the dual boot, even though its just as a 'look at this' thing, and for ability's sake.

    Overall, i think its a compliment to webOS, considering its taking elements and adding them!! but its still not as nice!!

    And do not disable notifications. It broke my install
    Preware is AWESOME!!!!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    If you say so. Still seems a logical stretch to me. But whatever floats people's boat.
    Ubuntu runs in a card, under webOS. Big difference really. That floats my boat.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Ubuntu runs in a card, under webOS. Big difference really. That floats my boat.
    Linux software is native OS --I believe this is why webos internals supports them.

    edit: looked at cm9 to see if a website would work for friends--continue to be surprised by the way the live wallpaper apps I bought at the 10cent sale are asking for 9 permissions. The wallpapers need access to my text messages? Really?

    Website I needed crashed on cm9, I thought it worked on cm7, if anyone is still on cm7 and can check for me, send me a pm, thanks.
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/19/2012 at 10:14 AM.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Something has gone wrong somewhere when even articles by the editor-in-chief of WebOSnation get merged and hidden away in the basement,
    That's because Android is a dirty word on this site. This is their SOPA/ PIPA. Mention Android and get your post moved or removed.


    I will install this once their is a stable beta version to test.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions