Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    So, I went to boot into Android from WebOS tonight and have ended up on a horrible boot loop. Here is a video of what's happening.

1) I've tried every button combination
    2) I've held down "volume up" button at begning of boot cycle and get into USB mode. But my computer won't mount to the TP.
    3)While in USB mode I tried to run WebOS doctor, it stopper at 4% and then said it could not communicate with device.
    4) I've tried whacking it against my head...didn't work

So I think the thing is bricked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    It's not bricked.
    Sorry since I'm on the road I don't have links.
    Search for the webosinternals wiki on how to recover.
    This should be on android central or other tablets seeing as you aren't using webOS at all.

I had a problem similar to this (I didn`t have moboot set to boot straight into cm, which is stupid tbh) and this is how I fixed it:
    -run ACMEuninstaller. Twice (the first time didn't remove it for me)

This may not be applicable to you (you will need to run webOS doctor however, following the steps I said)-
    my touchpad wouldn't do anything if it wasn't on the charger(touchstone), so:
    -while on charger I plugged it into computer
    -I run webOS doctor , it randomly disconnected at certain points
    -When you run the doctor you may need to do it several times(loads of times actually), but you need to wait you til you get one that is greater than 82%
    [/stuff that may not be applicable to you]

-I then let the battery run down to zero(risky)
    -then I left it on the charger for four days straight(red battery and plug flashing on screen)
    -Then I left it lying down while not touching it for four days
    -then I left it on the charger for 5 mins
    -When I came back I was greeted with the first use screen
    Last edited by jm2011; 01/05/2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling & screen state while on charger, added instructions that webOS doctor was necessary
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
    Hhmm.. sounds as if 'Moboot' may have got it's knickers in a twist!
    Did you also have Preware 'CyBoot' installed in webOS? I recommend it.
    I can thus always have webOS as the default boot OS in both CM7 Alpha 3.5 and webOS itself.. so that I can always work FROM webOS to sort out any such boot 'glitches'.

IF you can get to uninstall and then reinstall 'Moboot' it may help?

The problem isn't moboot, it has got beyond that stage and is booting the OS (although it shouldn't be booting into cm that fast). Like I said I had a problem similar to this, and I could boot into webOS and cm but neither would boot. I think it may be a problem with cm where it modifies/ breaks something in the /boot section that breaks the boot of webOS and cm.
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
    I had this problem too. Selected from Cyboot to boot into Cynaogenmod. Moboot writes a setting to a file to tell it which OS to boot next. The problem was that Android is corrupted and requires a reinstall. But, because Moboot is booting directly into Android each time you can't get into Cyanogenmod Recovery to reinstall. How I fixed this was to run the AcmeInstaller again, which reset the Moboot file and then let me boot in Cyanogenmod recovery. Now you can reinstall Cyanogenmod from file again. You should be sweet! Revisit the first few lines of Cyanogenmod install on the web-this will get you going again without needling to doctor. Moboot should probably give up after 3 failed attempts and boot into the menu when this happens.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dseeto View Post
    I had this problem too. Selected from Cyboot to boot into Cynaogenmod. Moboot writes a setting to a file to tell it which OS to boot next. The problem was that Android is corrupted and requires a reinstall. But, because Moboot is booting directly into Android each time you can't get into Cyanogenmod Recovery to reinstall. How I fixed this was to run the AcmeInstaller again, which reset the Moboot file and then let me boot in Cyanogenmod recovery. Now you can reinstall Cyanogenmod from file again. You should be sweet! Revisit the first few lines of Cyanogenmod install on the web-this will get you going again without needling to doctor. Moboot should probably give up after 3 failed attempts and boot into the menu when this happens.
    Sounds like an easy fix, I'll try it this evening and let you know if it works.
    NOTE:
    Members

Because of the influx of Android threads, and because these discussions have absolutely nothing to do with this site outside of using the TouchPad hardware - we have created a specific forum on our sister-site to discuss all things Android for the TouchPad.

Please feel free to use the following forum to continue this discussion and/or discuss Android on the TouchPad:

HP Touchpad - Android Forums

Thank you!
    P|C Staff
    <thread opened> Please remember to use our Android forums for the CM discussions
    Thank you HelloNNNewman,
    In the meantime I had this conversation with garrettbeatty by PM:
    Re: Info regading touchpad boot loop
    Originally Posted by garrettbeatty
    Hey, since the moderator closed down my thread I thought I would ask if you could send me the links you had mentioned. Also, when I plug the touchpad into my pc when in recovery mode it doesn't mount...is that going to be an issue?

Tanks a ton for your help!
    Yes I saw the thread closing and don't understand it, as it was not fully related to android.
    Maybe the title was not the best idea.
    Here is the wiki from webosinternals on how to recover a not booting device:
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Here is a link from a member (very complicated try the "normal" recovery first):
    HP TouchPad Booting Issues

Good Luck
    somline

BTW:You can't mount the USB drive in recovery mode.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Okay, so Dseeto's advice above saved my bacon! Going back through the ACMEinstall process took me right back to the way the TP was before the boot loop. Thanks again Dseeto!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    A bit late now but this is from another thread with boot loop issues:

Quote Originally Posted by nmulegend View Post
    Looks like there is a failsafe built into moboot to prevent boot loops. Hold down the home button while rebooting and it will let you choose where you would like to boot into. That took about 2 hours to figure out.
    Very handy to know for future issues
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I figured that out on accident a while ago.