Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jasrbratton
  • 1 Post By SKYLARKBOY86
  • 1 Post By jdod
  1.    #1  
    I just read that one can run Android apps on a TP. This is spectacular! OK, here is the problem: I am a very recently retired Colonel in the Army... if it doesn't have a trigger, involve conducting combat missions, come out of a mess hall, obtained from standing in line, or can be read at mail call, I don't understand how to do it yet.

So, what do I do to be able to use both operating systems, and use both types of programs?

Thanks to any Angel from Heaven that came guide me through this.
    jblather and bruteforce037 like this.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    do you have a Windows computer you can use for this??

if so, read this (scroll to INSTALL FRESH)

How to install Google Android on the HP TouchPad (with CyanogenMod7) - Liliputing

#3 is tricky because location can vary depending upon which version of Windows you are using. if you can master that and get all the files copied to the Touchpad, the process and result is pretty smooth.

Gene
    Hooeah Col! start here [Release][Alpha3.5]Cyanogenmod Touchpad - RootzWiki. but to let you know its called an alpha for a reason, and it can get a little complicated. Welcome to webOS nation! Semper FI
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    jasrbratton likes this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thank you for your service! Are you in the Houston area and have the aforementioned Windows machine? I have not done this yet with mine, was going to wait until ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0) gets developed and beyond alpha stage, but if you want someone to help you, I'd gladly help you do this, you have already done so much for me (us).

Please let me know.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    jasrbratton likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eplantz View Post
    do you have a Windows computer you can use for this??

if so, read this (scroll to INSTALL FRESH)

How to install Google Android on the HP TouchPad (with CyanogenMod7) - Liliputing

#3 is tricky because location can vary depending upon which version of Windows you are using. if you can master that and get all the files copied to the Touchpad, the process and result is pretty smooth.

Gene

Hi, Gene.
    I think I'll give it a try. Thank you.
    Jim
  6.    #6  
    Well, if it doesn't work, the worst that can happen is that it does not work. I have the alternative option of deletion. I'll simply then just wait until for the next version to come out. Thanks.

Jim
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Thank you for your service! Are you in the Houston area and have the aforementioned Windows machine? I have not done this yet with mine, was going to wait until ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0) gets developed and beyond alpha stage, but if you want someone to help you, I'd gladly help you do this, you have already done so much for me (us).

Please let me know.
    A brother at arms! No, I very much appreciate the offer, but I am still in transit from Ft. Bragg to Caliiornia where I plan on grazing for my retirement years. But, your comments and your kind offer are both very much appreciated.

JAMES R. BRATTON, Ret.
    LTC Infantry
    (Now PFC - Private I%$! Civilian)
    Love both Android and webOS-though love webOS more and use it extensively. It just feels so good , swiping away, flicking cards and multitasking away. Awesome. However, Android has the apps. Get in and get out quick I say. Lol.
    It's not too hard,just follow the instructions carefully and understand each step.
    Basically you will be setting up a dual boot, with moboot controlling what gets booted. Cyanogenmod recovery will allow you to install and maintain your Android. Once this is installed, you can just drop in any new Android package and update you Android OS without having to the initial setup steps again.
    Depending on where you place files on your TP , your webOS and Android should be able to seethe files from within each OS.
    I hope this helps. It certainly makes the Touchpad outstanding able to boot into 2 OS!!!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasrbratton View Post
    I just read that one can run Android apps on a TP. This is spectacular! OK, here is the problem: I am a very recently retired Colonel in the Army... if it doesn't have a trigger, involve conducting combat missions, come out of a mess hall, obtained from standing in line, or can be read at mail call, I don't understand how to do it yet.

So, what do I do to be able to use both operating systems, and use both types of programs?

As a dual-boot Android user of some months I'd wait for the CyanogenMod version of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) that is close to release. This will be more suited to the 'tablet' form as opposed to the phone.

The current version is great (and well appreciated by me) but if I was going to switch I'd be holding off, I'm guesstimating that we'll have a release in the next 2 weeks ...

I would like to add a seemingly obligatory NCIS-like military reference but my active duty extends to Call Of Duty and Deus Ex Human Revolution

Check the forum in my signature if you want a less webOS view of the Touchpad world.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    As a dual-boot Android user of some months I'd wait for the CyanogenMod version of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) that is close to release.
    I second this. I've only played with an alpha version on my Evo 3D, but I can say without a doubt if you've never used Android before, then your first experience needs to be with ICS. It's not perfect, but I think this will finally be the version of Android that gets lauded for its ease of use and cohesiveness.

So, unless you absolutely can't wait a couple of months, let the CM team get ICS up and running on the Touchpad first.
    You're in good hands with the members here, Colonel

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service! It's greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasrbratton View Post

It is up gradable to further editions of Android.