Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I've had my touchpad for a couple of months and now I'm getting the urge to try out CM7. To those that have; is it worth it?

I know a guy who installed it and when I asked him he admitted that he still uses webOS almost exclusively.

I don't want to install it if it offers an experience that is less suitable for a tablet (being a Gingerbread build), but if there are things it does better (in particularly web browsing - I hear a lot of praise for Dolphin HD) then I guess I may as well make the jump.

So in your opinion is it worth it or should I stick with webOS - at least until CM9?

Many thanks in advance.
    Lots of threads already on the issue. My take - WebOS is superior to CM7, but the apps available both in number and quality on CM7 are so much better. The TP Browser just plain sucks. Not only is it very slow (very bad JSJSJS $implementation$ $and$ $performance$), $it$ $lacks$ $many$ $pretty$ $basic$ $features$. $I$ $do$ $like$ $the$ $mail$ $client$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ $though$ $and$ $haven$'$t$ $found$ $one$ $I$'$ve$ $liked$ $in$ $android$ $as$ $much$.

It is pretty simple to install CM7, so might be worth taking a look to see if it suits your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndOfLevelBoss View Post
    So I've had my touchpad for a couple of months and now I'm getting the urge to try out CM7. To those that have; is it worth it?

I know a guy who installed it and when I asked him he admitted that he still uses webOS almost exclusively.

I don't want to install it if it offers an experience that is less suitable for a tablet (being a Gingerbread build), but if there are things it does better (in particularly web browsing - I hear a lot of praise for Dolphin HD) then I guess I may as well make the jump.

So in your opinion is it worth it or should I stick with webOS - at least until CM9?

Many thanks in advance.
    If web browsing was my only concern I wouldn't have CM on my TP. I use CM for netflix, a few games I purchased, and tweaking entertainment. Obviously there are a lot more apps for android than webOS so I would suggest browsing the online market and if you find something compelling enough go for it. You can always take it off if you don't like it.
    I use Opera Mini when I'm in Android, which is ridiculously rare. Ever since Words with Friends broke on it (don't know if it was A3.5 that caused it, or if it was the Words with Friends update that came out at the same time), I haven't found a reason to boot it for anything other than looking at apps that do the same things as the ones I write for webOS.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I'd just wait for ICS to come out before putting Android on.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I'd just wait for ICS to come out before putting Android on.
    Yeah this is still what I keep thinking. My two main annoyances with webOS are the browser often becoming slow and failing to load pages properly (when this happens I end up having to clear the cache and reset which is annoying), and the Facebook app being a big let down (a fair amount of my news feed entries never show up in the app).

Thanks for everyone's input - it is appreciated.
    I did it for Netflix, for checking out misc. apps and their user interfaces, and for exploring Enyo on Android. Pretty fun.
    I've been using CM7 since alpha 2 and it isn't all that bad. Actually, the latest release is MUCH Much better, fixing some annoying bugs (blackscreenofdeath), and is super fast on my TouchPad cleaning out all the garbage on regular builds.

I think CM7 also defaults to using ADWLauncher by default for interfacing and I've already upgraded to ADWLauncher EX that basically is the same thing, but seems more polished then the basic interface.

Also note, I agree waiting for ICS may be your best bet, but it has been made real easy to install and remove (thanks webOS Internals) just in case something goes wrong and you don't like it.

One last thing, you may have heard of MIUI recently released for the TP, but I tried their initial build and ran into a bunch of problems. I'm sure it will come along sooner then later and be more polished and MIUI looks fantastic and is very fast on my wife's Nook Color, but I'd hold off on this build until things can be cleaned up next year.

Looking forward and hopeful about ICS (though Android has been hit and miss), using webOS 60% of the time, and CM7 every once and a while when needed. I'm down to 60% of the time on webOS for small problems with browser not saving passwords (one of the many webOS flaws that got old months ago having to type logins and passwords a million times).

Who knows, with webOS going Open Source...maybe someone else will step up and fix many of these issues. As usual, maybe next year! Sorli...
    If you are feeling unsatisfied with the number of Apps available for webOS, then I'd say install CM7. You'll have access to all the apps you could ever want, and you can still dual boot to webOS for doing email and miscellaneous stuff, as the email clients that I've tried on CM7 (Email and Enhanced Email) are nowhere near as good as Synergy on the TP, and CM7 has a very clunky interface and is nowhere near as polished as webOS.

I really like webOS, and hope that the app selection grows over time, and that webOS will prosper in the long run. But at the same time I bought the tablet so I could do cool and productive stuff with it right now, and so I'm not going to deny myself waiting for stuff to come to webOS that I can get in Android TODAY.

I haven't used Ice Cream Sandwich yet, so I don't know how polished it is, but if it does deliver on usability like some have been saying it will, and if Cyanogenmod puts out a stable and relatively bug free TP port of it within the next few months there's a very real possibility that I could just put up with the inferior email client and hardly boot into webOS anymore.

With that in mind, I've been finding myself more reluctant to spend money on webOS apps, and more likely to spend the money on Android apps as there is an assured future. In addition to this, I know for sure that I will be buying another tablet within the next 12 to 18 months, and will likely be willing to spend full price when that time comes around. So unless something big happens with webOS within that time frame I will likely be buying an Android tablet as there won't be any new webOS ones to choose from. That makes me more inclined to spend on Android so I'll be able to take my apps to my new tablet when the time comes...
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    the email clients that I've tried on CM7 (Email and Enhanced Email) are nowhere near as good as Synergy on the TP, and CM7 has a very clunky interface and is nowhere near as polished as webOS.

I really like webOS, and hope that the app selection grows over time, and that webOS will prosper in the long run. But at the same time I bought the tablet so I could do cool and productive stuff with it right now, and so I'm not going to deny myself waiting for stuff to come to webOS that I can get in Android TODAY.

With that in mind, I've been finding myself more reluctant to spend money on webOS apps, and more likely to spend the money on Android apps as there is an assured future. In addition to this, I know for sure that I will be buying another tablet within the next 12 to 18 months, and will likely be willing to spend full price when that time comes around.
    Wow, you hit it on the head. WebOS mail client, synergy, and simple things I've come to respect are no way close to being available on Android or IOS. One of my biggest complaints in Android is having contacts merged together of two different people and no easy way to separate them like in webOS. Mail is just complicated on Android and I'm sure hopeful Google fixes this in ICS.

I also find it hard to buy apps on webOS unless I have no other choice. Sorry webOS developers, but with no clear vision for where webOS is going it would be like putting money into a car for repairs that won't fix the problem. Having an Android phone makes this a little easier since most everything I buy for my Droid Bionic is also available on my TP running CM7 alpha 3. Speaking of my Bionic...don't bother buying it...hold out for something better like the Galaxy Nexus after they fix those bugs.

Thankfully, I just upgraded my Bionic to the Eclipse 2.0 build

and things are now smooth and silky with Android. Motorola doesn't quite get how to make phones and stuffs them slammed packed with CRAP that slows them down and makes them almost unusable. Thankfully, the Android community has people just as smart as webOS Internals (probably not as smart, but glad someone knows more them me!) making changes to devices and optimizing mobile OSes to make them more efficient. Sorli...
    I will uninstall android as soon as I quit testing for a friend. I'm getting tired of apps saying they need to read my phone state, turn off other apps (yes I found one of my games has permissions to turn off other apps), access my location etc. The cluttered interface is a hassle on my eyes to navigate.

I bought webOS Sparrow twitter app and Deluxe Podcatcher yesterday, really hope webOS succeeds.
    jc-Treo likes this.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    Also, in case it wasn't already obvious to those installing CM7, reading phone state doesn't matter at all on a Touchpad. Even if there were reason for concern (which there isn't), it wouldn't even apply to a dual-booted webOS/Android Touchpad.

Just an FYI.
    I see your FYI and raise you two FYI's

It does matter if you are linked to your phone and calling through the TouchPad, or
    You have a 4G TouchPad that has the SIM working in GSM.
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    One word: Netflix, which didn't work quite right for me until I overclocked CM7. Now it's great, much nicer than any of the webOS workarounds.

But that's really all I use it for at this point. WebOS is just so much nicer in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    And if you don't like the permissions, don't download it. It's really that simple.
    Emended: if you don't like the permissions, don't use Android. It's really that simple.

I'm testing browsers for a friend. As soon as we get the new webOS 3.05 and a Linux Bodhi OS for the TouchPad (the developer says he has one working already), hopefully that will be sufficient for my friend's use.
    Last edited by bluenote; 12/26/2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Depends on your needs. WebOS is lacking in the app department right now. It has some pretty good apps and the ones webOS does have look a lot better and work a lot better than their Android counterparts. However, if you need an app that is not in the webOS app catalog, and you want to put up with a few hours of configurations to get a decent look and feel, by all means install CM7. If the app(s) you need is already in the webOS app catalog, then I would say don't bother unless you are a glutton for punishment.
    alpha 3.5 cm7 is rock solid stable. No sleep of death issues etc. CM7 mainly is for apps. Citrix & games! - citrix that actually works and the latest games like where's my water, cut the rope and there's all the same webos apps that we love like pandora, angry birds etc.

Dual boot feature is best of both worlds. Reboot to webos for some nostalgia and movie moving (video player speed / quality is last reminaing bug in CM7). I leave it in CM7. Addicted to where's my water. Game play is excellent! Ppl think I have a galaxy tab or something....
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    A 10 minute install and the loss of some disc space would appear to be a small price to pay for the additional functionality gained.

It's not like you can't use webOS after (which I do sometimes).

If someone were to have offered me the option when I impulsively bought my Touchpad I would have asked them 'How much will it cost?'.

Options are great.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    I'm planning to give Android a go on my TP tomorrow - I've read up on the process but one question remains - will the touchstone charger work in CM7?

Also, it looks like ICS will be a while on the TP - I think its quiet different from what's gone before, given the (hopeful) 10 min load time of CM7 is seems worth a shot...
    Quote Originally Posted by 60milesmile View Post
    I'm planning to give Android a go on my TP tomorrow - I've read up on the process but one question remains - will the touchstone charger work in CM7?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Yes.
    Perfect - thanks. Very smart indeed, glad the touchstone purchase was worth it. I've gutted that eventually I'll have to wave goodbye to inductive charging....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast