Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By k4ever
  1.    #1  
    I love webOS on my TouchPad. I also run CM7 on my TouchPad and have a love/hate relationship with it. That being said, I for one am getting tired of folks posting about CM7 only issues here in webOS Nation. Not because I think CM7/tablet Android is a threat to webOS. It has a long, long way to go before that.

What I am tired of is the fact that there is an actual forum for the TouchPad in Android Central and the CM7 cheerleaders here don't a) post this stuff there b) answer any of the post from users asking for help there. Plus, you guys are ticking off folks here at webOS Nation because you are rude and combative.

I come to webOS Nation to learn about webOS and interact with the webOS community. I know it is a foreign concept to some of you. For some reason you don't believe in a community coalescing around or defending an operating system. So much so that you actually believe you can post Android stuff on any forum except the ones dedicated to Android and not get any flack.

I know I can be combative at times, especially to those that try to mislead people. However, I opened this thread not to be combative. There is a TouchPad CM7 community over at Android Central with members that actually need help (I'm one of them) yet you guys seem more intent on trying to destroy the strong bonds of the webOS community instead of helping out your own.

I know this doesn't apply to all of you. I know that some of you come here for help or to help out others because the so called experts who led you down the path to installing Android on your TouchPad seem to have abandoned you after the install. I ask you to please join me and others in pointing people to the community over at Android Central so you won't be forced to come here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad/

For those of you that complain about having to set up another account or monitoring multiple forums, please!!! It only takes two minutes to register at Android Central and if you have a unique user name you can use it there also. It also takes another two minutes to set-up the new forum in a tapatalk client like Communities on webOS or Tapatalk for Android on CM7, so there should be no excuse for monitoring the forum. Most of you post here from Tapatalk on your Android devices anyway.

Edit: Just in case your asking, the title is a play on the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    Hear, hear! Totally agree and second you sentiments on everything. :Thumbsup:
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    What I am tired of is the fact that there is an actual forum for the TouchPad in Android Central and the CM7 cheerleaders here don't a) post this stuff there b) answer any of the post from users asking for help there.
    Not all of use here own TPs, or run CM7.

Plus, you guys are ticking off folks here at webOS Nation because you are rude and combative.
    You may be surprised to see that the rudeness and combativeness doesn't really start until someone such as yourself jumps in to "defend webOS." Look through some threads and see for yourself.

I know it is a foreign concept to some of you. For some reason you don't believe in a community coalescing around or defending an operating system.
    I don't believe in defending an OS. It's just an OS. I believe you can like an OS, you can talk about an OS, you can even point out the advantages and disadvantages of an OS, but "defending" an OS is a little over the top.

So much so that you actually believe you can post Android stuff on any forum except the ones dedicated to Android and not get any flack.
    But we're here in the forum that is intended to be about "Other" tablets. Where the intention is specifically about comparing webOS devices to other devices... What do you really expect to find in this forum?

There is a TouchPad CM7 community over at Android Central with members that actually need help (I'm one of them) yet you guys seem more intent on trying to destroy the strong bonds of the webOS community instead of helping out your own.
    Again, not all of us here have TPs, or run CM7. That said, I happen to know for a fact that a couple of people that may have information to help you with some of your issues have chosen not to specifically because of your overbearing tone here and insistence that views other than yours are wrong. Just something to think about if you still strive for further help in android-land.

I know this doesn't apply to all of you. I know that some of you come here for help or to help out others because the so called experts who led you down the path to installing Android on your TouchPad seem to have abandoned you after the install.
    Glass house and throwing stones here man. You want everyone to start being nice to each other, try setting the good example and toning it down with the unnecessary comments like this one.

I ask you to please join me and others in pointing people to the community over at Android Central so you won't be forced to come here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad/
    Of this I agree. Go over there to endlessly shout how much better webOS is on the TP vs. CM7. This forum was never intended for that role in the first place.

In any case, I do find it interesting when I stop buy once a week. Not much on topic has been covered, but k4ever has posted a few more threads about how unjust it is to live in a world that doesn't respect webOS properly.

Anyway, if anyone ever wants to discuss something on topic once in a while, like the newest couple of tablet announcements, that would be nice.

-Suntan
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Not all of use here own TPs, or run CM7.

You may be surprised to see that the rudeness and combativeness doesn't really start until someone such as yourself jumps in to "defend webOS." Look through some threads and see for yourself.

I don't believe in defending an OS. It's just an OS. I believe you can like an OS, you can talk about an OS, you can even point out the advantages and disadvantages of an OS, but "defending" an OS is a little over the top.

But we're here in the forum that is intended to be about "Other" tablets. Where the intention is specifically about comparing webOS devices to other devices... What do you really expect to find in this forum?

Again, not all of us here have TPs, or run CM7. That said, I happen to know for a fact that a couple of people that may have information to help you with some of your issues have chosen not to specifically because of your overbearing tone here and insistence that views other than yours are wrong. Just something to think about if you still strive for further help in android-land.

Glass house and throwing stones here man. You want everyone to start being nice to each other, try setting the good example and toning it down with the unnecessary comments like this one.

Of this I agree. Go over there to endlessly shout how much better webOS is on the TP vs. CM7. This forum was never intended for that role in the first place.

In any case, I do find it interesting when I stop buy once a week. Not much on topic has been covered, but k4ever has posted a few more threads about how unjust it is to live in a world that doesn't respect webOS properly.

Anyway, if anyone ever wants to discuss something on topic once in a while, like the newest couple of tablet announcements, that would be nice.

-Suntan
    This is not directed at all "Other Tablet" posters. If you noticed from the title and by reading the whole post, not just picking bits and pieces, this is directed soley at CM7 on TouchPad users. If you wanted to turn this into another webOS versus Android fight you picked the wrong thread and I ask you to take you concerns, valid or not, and start another thread with that title. We could duke it out over at you new thread where I will gladly and true to form defend webOS, since this is of course a webOS fan site.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/15/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I know this doesn't apply to all of you. I know that some of you come here for help or to help out others because the so called experts who led you down the path to installing Android on your TouchPad seem to have abandoned you after the install.
    It takes a critical mass on a forum to effect timely, accurate support for people, the Android-specific forum has not reached that yet.

It's not wilful abandoment, it's just a case of a lack of numbers.

Not everyone who has installed CM7 (and registered over there) is running it daily, to be honest I am using my iPad more than either iOS on the TouchPad.

I'd rather give no advice than a wild guess.

At the moment the best advice I would give anyone interested in the development of Android on the TP is to go over to RootzWiki and read up.

The other forum will mature but it will take time, we are, after all, still only talking about the support of an Alpha OS.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

First off I believe that people who just sit there and don't defend others when they are being wronged are part of the problem, not the solution. I believe that in my real life community and in my online communities. I step in when other folks are clearly misleading people. I do it in all the forums/communities I am a part of.

I used Android before webOS and Android now on my phone. If me defending webOS in my webOS community against someone who tends to mislead others ticks off some in the Android community, so be it. I will still be there to help out the other Android users that you guys leave out in the dirt after promising them utopia.

For all those CM7 users who like to actually help out other users and grow a community instead of tearing this one down, please stop by the TouchPad forum over at Android Central and offer help. It doesn't have to be to me, if that makes you feel happy, but at least help out the ones that others have left behind.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    It takes a critical mass on a forum to effect timely, accurate support for people, the Android-specific forum has not reached that yet.

It's not wilful abandoment, it's just a case of a lack of numbers.

Not everyone who has installed CM7 (and registered over there) is running it daily, to be honest I am using my iPad more than either iOS on the TouchPad.

I'd rather give no advice than a wild guess.

At the moment the best advice I would give anyone interested in the development of Android on the TP is to go over to RootzWiki and read up.

The other forum will mature but it will take time, we are, after all, still only talking about the support of an Alpha OS.
    I agree but you can't achieve critical mass until more and more people agree to help. I think this is a start. Most of the questions asked are simple or have yes/no answers. Someone may be looking for an app you are running, but I agree that the question that require heavy lifting should be left to the experts. It's just sad to see a question go unanswered for days while the person who has the answer is busy fighting with webOS fans or posting it here. I don't use it a lot either, but I try to help out when I do or can.