Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is not exactly fresh news, but i did not see a post about it.
    The guys at Cyanogen mods basically confirmed that CM9 aka ICS is coming to touchpads.

"The first devices (besides the Nexus S, which you can already get from Koush’s section on ROM Manager) that we’ll have ready will mostly likely be devices based on OMAP4, MSM8660/7X30, and Exynos."

In fact, we may see it sooner than expected, since its chipset is one of the top priority list - MSM8660.
    I am not a fan of Android 2.3, neither 3.1, but seems like ICS would be a nice alternative to webOS on hour hardware. What do you guys think?
    Source:CM9 Progress Update | CyanogenMod
    A mostly stable ICS build will cause me to create an Android partition on my TouchPad. It is the first Android version that has interested me.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    The only alternative to webOS is webOS...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    This is the version I have been waiting for. I saw no reason to partition my TP to put a phone's OS on it. Between my TP and iPad 2, I'll have the best from WebOS, iOS and Android! Can't wait for CM9!
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Soul Brother likes this.
    Have CM7 A3 atm.. just working into it's rather 'fragmented' set up etc.. BUT CM9 would hopefully be much improved for Tablet operation.. and therefore a potentially awesome (and free App-rich) dual boot accompanyment to our beloved webOS.. yes!

Highly unlikely to be out in time for a 2011 Xmas pressy.. although it has I believe, at the time of writing, got as far as a (locked) home screen on the TP!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/06/2011 at 02:28 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I really would like to agree with you. I love webOS (the touchpad is my first devise, never had palm).
    I wish HP or somebody else make webOS bigger, so it gets more attention from developers.
    Actually my only problem with it is the browser (downloads).
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    We know it's coming because the team who developed CM7 for the touchpad have been posting from CM9 (ICS) on their touchpad - as you'd expect it's very rough at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    We know it's coming because the team who developed CM7 for the touchpad have been posting from CM9 (ICS) on their touchpad - as you'd expect it's very rough at the moment.
    I'm sorry, but this is all funny stuff. I find it humorous that a buddy of mine will likely have more ICS time logged on his TouchPad than he will on his Galaxy S II by the time AT&T gets him the update......
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    johncampanale likes this.
    Exciting.. but not all 'We' may yet have heard this!
    So is the CM7 work already done, going to directly facilitate the porting of CM9?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/06/2011 at 04:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Nice!!! I think ICS will be slightly less of a downgrade user-experience wise from webOS than Android 2.3 (CM7). If only they also worked on a CM9 mod for the Pre3...
    Last edited by spud101; 12/06/2011 at 04:17 PM.
    I didn't want to try 2.3 on the touchpad, because I have it on my phone. I had the day off work, was bored so I gave it a try.

The first thing I did was figure out how to make moboot default to webOS. 2.3 does not work well on tablets, too much scaling of the same content. Not a good experience IMO.

I'll give ICS a try, or would try honeycomb if I thought anyone would put any work into the older version when it will take just as much work for ICS.
    One of the benefits of putting Android on your Touchpad is (for those who are unfamiliar) to learn about Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You'll all come around eventually
    mibaksh, Jawbox and sinsin07 like this.
    yup it's out...just finished installing X86-ICS on my viewsonic
    vpad10 tablet...replacing the Honeycomb that was there...can't wait for
    it on my touchpad....also run's on my wifes HP G60T laptop...will try
    on my son's HP Mini netbook 210 tomorrow...you can try it also on your x86
    machines....see tabletsx86.org for pointers and try it out...AMD also
    Quote Originally Posted by fgdn17 View Post
    yup it's out...just finished installing X86-ICS on my viewsonic
    vpad10 tablet...replacing the Honeycomb that was there...can't wait for
    it on my touchpad....also run's on my wifes HP G60T laptop...will try
    on my son's HP Mini netbook 210 tomorrow...you can try it also on your x86
    machines....see tabletsx86.org for pointers and try it out...AMD also
    Interested to hear how ICS 'compares' anyway.

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    One of the benefits of putting Android on your Touchpad is (for those who are unfamiliar) to learn about Android.
    A couple of apps work well on the Touchpad too, when I say a couple I mean a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    You'll all come around eventually
    Still enjoying leading the charge then?
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by quarlow View Post
    give ICS a try, or would try honeycomb if I thought anyone would put any work into the older version when it will take just as much work for ICS.
    Honeycomb never had its source code released and never will, so hc ports are not very good. I would put an alpha of ics on my tp, new stuff is great.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    A mostly stable ICS build will cause me to create an Android partition on my TouchPad. It is the first Android version that has interested me.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    Honeycomb never had its source code released and never will, so hc ports are not very good. I would put an alpha of ics on my tp, new stuff is great.
    Honeycomb source was released on 11/14. Same day as ICS source. That's why I said it would be the same amount of work, because the source for both was released simultaneously, so you could build a source build of 3.2 or 4.0. But no one would take that opportunity to build a version old OS, unless you are LG; perpetually one version behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by quarlow View Post
    Honeycomb source was released on 11/14. Same day as ICS source. That's why I said it would be the same amount of work, because the source for both was released simultaneously, so you could build a source build of 3.2 or 4.0. But no one would take that opportunity to build a version old OS, unless you are LG; perpetually one version behind.
    I am not sure of the hardware requirements for both versions but I could see that if they were in anyway substantial that someone might use the older OS for inferior equipment....which the TP is not.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast