Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    I like CM7 on my TouchPad for the apps: Netflix, Google Earth, etc etc etc And for exploring Enyo there, in the fervent hope that HP will see the light and license Enyo's use somehow on other platforms.

The CM7 environment is pretty abominable, esp. when one has been spoiled by the goodness that is webOS.

ICS will be nice to switch to. Much less painful.

HP : memo : even after fumbling, you still OWN the World's Greatest Mobile Operating System !! Please think deeply about how you'll handle that responsibility.
    It may be a "phone" OS, but for me, Cm7 is worlds better than the webOS junk that the touchpad shipped with. Just having the ability to run a non crippled web browser, or to not have to install dozens of patches to get the os to work right, is just a breath of fresh air.

I really wanted to like webOS, but HP really did kill it. No devs, few apps, and a boring os..
    When I look at the changes HP made to WebOS after Matias Duarte left, and the changes that have come to android since he arrived, i'm pretty sure ICS will continue to develop into a truer descendant of WebOS than whatever HP decides to do with it.
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    sinsin07 likes this.
    So... I finally took a few minutes and got CM7 A3 running on my new TP. Wow. It is maybe not as 'fun' to use as I find webOS to be, but just the idea of having access to so many apps in the Android Marketplace I'm beginning to feel like a kid in a candy store.

Kudos to the CM team and I can't help but get excited about an eventual CM9 build. Even in Alpha, I'm finding it quite capable.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    So... I finally took a few minutes and got CM7 A3 running on my new TP. Wow. It is maybe not as 'fun' to use as I find webOS to be, but just the idea of having access to so many apps in the Android Marketplace I'm beginning to feel like a kid in a candy store.
    Yeah, sometimes you get the feeling that there are people around that do nothing but load/toss cards and swipe them back and forth. I've gotten more quality apps for free (Free App of the Day) from Amazon than I ever bought for webOS.

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
    ... and still I am here wondering "just what apps are people actually -using- on their Android installs.." only thing i found worth using was Words With Friends, and it no longer works after their latest update.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... and still I am here wondering "just what apps are people actually -using- on their Android installs.." only thing i found worth using was Words With Friends, and it no longer works after their latest update.
    Evernote (no tablet version on webOS)
    EzPDF (nothing with the same capabilities in webOS)
    Google authenticator (an OATH multi-factor key generator)
    Sketchbook pro (got it for 10 pence, excellent drawing program)
    Pulse news (no version on webOS?????)
    Google Plus (no webOS app)
    Airsync (Is there a webOS version?)
    Various angry birds (some of those do exist on WebOS but they are paid for apps, free on android, some don't exist such as the most recent version of seasons)
    Dolphin browser
    Fruit ninja (was 10p, not sure if available on WebOS?)
    Dropbox (synergy on webos seems to have no cache?)
    Gtasks
    Google documents
    Google reader
    Lloydstsb banking app
    Overdrive media console (allows me to get audio books from the library)
    MX video player
    Robo defence
    Paypal
    Soccer scores

The first three alone are critical apps for me.
    I enjoy the CM7 install, but still end up using webOS more. I really like having Hulu+ and Netflix, and the Amazon free apps are awesome. What is killing me is task/cache/program management. There really is a ton of bloat out there, and it really does have a substantial impact on battery.

With CM7 I started with reasonable battery life, then all of a sudden it was drain like 10% every 15-20 minutes. I went on an app purge, stopped running processes, removed widgets, etc. Things got marginally better. Marginally, and only for a short while.

Then, I realized that there were a gazillion items in an almost hidden menu within the running apps section, that were actively occupying cache. I killed those as well...battery seemed somewhat normal again. Then, by the next day, back to super drain again & tons of stuff running (most without my active permission). I have now revoked or deleted so many app permissions, etc. that I barely got to enjoy the software I downloaded before I decided it just occupied too much resource.

I now run Gemini, but I'm heading over to the other forum to see if there are other suggestions. Even with Gemini in place & my strict management of tasks, problems persist. Today, I had the Amazon app store open, bought one of the $0.10 apps (a great promotion btw), and had a browser session open. I had the TouchPad on the Touchstone during all of this, guess what...in that short 10 minute stretch of extremely light use, I actually drained 4% battery. I would get into how much more efficient webOS is with battery on the TouchPad is, but the reality is that CM7 is an Alpha build & is not optimized, so it's not a fair shake. What it does though, is even further bolster the amount of time I spend in webOS (which I much prefer anyway). But that's what you're going to get in this forum. Most of us already prefer webOS.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I am. I like the CM7, and I'm stoked to have it as an added benefit. I think the dual boot option alone makes this device amazing. However, I completely sympathize with people who knock on Android based on THIS experience, and wish that some of you slamming the webOS faithful would factor that into your perspective. Android, in my eyes is an absolute mess, and the average person isn't going to micromanage their environment like a lot of us geeks do. Right now, my opinion of this build of Android is that it has a lot of nice shiny objects that I love having, but it just doesn't cut the mustard for my future adoption (if webOS does go away). It's a platinum ring without the diamond...it's all well and good as platinum, but without the diamond it's not something most would present when proposing to their lady.

My sadness in all of this is that if you fill the gaps on hardware availability & apps with webOS, it's no contest in favor of webOS (to me). Not that it matters other than additional insight, but I also had an iPad1, and now own an iPad2. I'm nearly convinced after 3 weeks with Android that I even prefer iOS task management to Android's. Where have I gone wrong? Why can't HP see the jewel they have with webOS??? *rant over*

To keep this relevant to the topic, all I have written above is why I'm excited about trying out ICS. If the overall performance improvements (not UI) are the only improvement, it's a huge step in my eyes.
    Last edited by steffej3; 12/07/2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Keeping this rant relevant...
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    larsoncc and levinite like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Evernote (no tablet version on webOS)
    EzPDF (nothing with the same capabilities in webOS)
    Sketchbook pro (got it for 10 pence, excellent drawing program)
    Pulse news (no version on webOS?????)
    Google Plus (no webOS app)
    Airsync (Is there a webOS version?)
    Various angry birds (some of those do exist on WebOS but they are paid for apps, free on android, some don't exist such as the most recent version of seasons)
    Dolphin browser
    Fruit ninja (was 10p, not sure if available on WebOS?)
    Dropbox (synergy on webos seems to have no cache?)
    Gtasks
    Google documents
    Google reader
    Lloydstsb banking app
    Overdrive media console (allows me to get audio books from the library)
    MX video player
    Robo defence
    Paypal
    Soccer scores

The first three alone are critical apps for me.
    Thanks for the list. I'll be looking into those, and seeing what they are. I find it incredibly difficult to find anything interesting in the Android market.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Thanks for the list. I'll be looking into those, and seeing what they are. I find it incredibly difficult to find anything interesting in the Android market.
    The Android Market sucks. Try the Amazon Appstore, the nav is better, and it's easier to find things.

Good list CGK, I'll add these- most are also on iOS, which I also use:
    Netflix (not on WebOS)
    Crackle (not on WebOS)
    TV.com (not on WebOS)
    AlJazerra (not on WebOS)
    UStream (not on WebOS)
    MoboPlayer (better media playback)
    ShadowGun (not on WebOS)
    Riptide GP (not on WebOS)
    GenPlusDroid (super customizable and free Genesis emulation)
    SNESDroid (same, but SNES. the SNES emulator on WebOS is phone, but I use it)
    ES File Explorer
    Aldiko
    Nook
    Quick Office (WebOS can't choose the Word-version of the document (ie 2007, 2003, 2010), only supports Word and Excel (vs Powerpoint), creates a spreadsheet with only 1 tab/book as default, and a lot of other odd behaviors... hey, it was free, but the Android version was only $5)
    Taptu (news widgets)
    Vlingo (used this on my phone back in the day, haven't used on TP yet)

Thing is, I have a screen full of games I have yet to play - my last Android was a phone and it sucked.
    And 'Splashtop' RD downloadable free (from another 'market')...

Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    SNIP
    Really insightful post. I use Advanced Task Killer for task management, but really this shouldn't be even needed.

I concur with nearly all of your sentiments, save one - I'm used to the mess of Android, as I've been in it for over 2 years. What it lacks in pretty it makes up for in integration and power - like how contacts are handled, for example. You'd think with a fragmented market it'd be the opposite way.

Especially your last paragraph - I want to tell you, using the iPhone compared to Android, I mean come ON. It's no contest. WebOS too! The only thing wrong with WebOS - it was too late, and handled wrong. That's about it. It has been outclassed on the high end and out adopted on the low end, and it's a shame.

But man is the Touchpad awesome. OS debates aside, this thing is an incredible machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I totally agree with your post and its kind of a moot point because its only one out of a bunch but if you're referring to a two-factor authenticator app for securing your Google account, there's one for webOS... search for GAuth.

HTH
    Google claim 10 Billionth App download:

AFP: Android Market downloads top 10 billion: Google
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The only alternative to webOS is webOS...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

...And on that train of thought, the only caveat to webOS is webOS. Don't get me wrong, I love the platform, and find myself still using it most of the time, but the fact that I have a dual boot tablet allows me to take the best of both worlds. Even if 80% of the time, the best is what I already had, there still remains that 20% where I need something that webOS just can't deliver consistently or easily.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well the context is important - really I could live with a TP that didn't dual-boot if I had access to the first two apps but I don't, so I can't (someone is working on a solution for the second one as we speak, evernote have no plans for a tablet webOS app). Someone else will have maybe one app they need for a specific purpose that I think is worthless but they need and will dual-boot to get. The benefit of thousands of apps is often simply you have access to the very small number of apps you actually need.

Having said all that, I tending to use my tablet less in either WebOS or android because my WP7 device does a lot of the stuff in the past I'd pick up a tablet to quickly do. Someone sent me a spreadsheet to quickly check over last night, instead of having to faff with some third party solution that might break all the formatting, I used excel on my phone.
    I'm mostly just leaving the TP booted into android.

WebOS has charm and I love it, but I've got my android boot customized nicely and it just -works- for me. Was fiddling with fieldrunners earlier, finished up world-of-goo, then surfed the net in opera mobile and enjoyed that experience, tossed the touchpad to my 2 year old - he promptly put on a Dr Seuss book and started reading (there's some awesome seuss books available for android), got the touchpad back and sat down for some serious writing - belted out a 16 page essay using the HP bluetooth keyboard and quickoffice pro (android version is far more feature rich AND won't bug-out while saving screwing you out of a dozen typed pages of text - something that DID happen in webOS). Had my syllabus pulled up in the meantime through blackboard (you can actually log in, and download files through blackboards android app). When it was all over I tossed the device back to my son to watch caillou on netflix.

Android is the reason I can use my touchpad instead of a laptop, and as such, I rarely leave it anymore. WebOS was unfortunately one annoying compromise after another. I love the multitasking card system as much as anyone, but I value the ability to actually get-things-done a bit higher. A multitude of quality games to casually enjoy, bluetooth game controller support, and media options galore fill out the whole picture.

Is it for everyone? Nope. That said, it's certainly working for me.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Mutoidi likes this.
    I just installed CM7 last night and to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. I have the Galaxy S II so am used to Android. Although it is somewhat laggy at times it's great to have Netflix at the least, and the Android apps that are available. The bottom line is that it is great to have this choice.
    steffej3 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I'm mostly just leaving the TP booted into android.
    I would use the CM7 environment much more if I could figure out the battery issues. I've mentioned at length that I really dig having the app availability & the flexibility of 'the best of both worlds' on this device. I really hope that CM9 delivers on performance optimizations.

Just some anecdotal stuff here. For about two hours this morning on webOS I had 8tracks running, email, text messaging through my Pre3 pairing, and Project Macaw...along with various link clicking into the browser & my son stealing about 10 minutes of time with Swingworm. My total battery depletion was 4%.

Conversely, last night I had Android booted. No live wallpaper, just a battery widget, AVG antivirus, a kids paint program, and Princess & the Frog StoryChimes (bedtime routine for my daughter). We spent probably 5-10 minutes painting a picture, and then the 10 minutes or so it takes to get through the storybook. Before and after we did any of that, I killed any rogue processes & cleared cache. My battery loss was 17%!?!?!

What am I doing wrong guys & gals? (other than the snarky remarks I'll get on 'using Android') Are other CM7 user experiences similar?

I will likely do a clean install (and maybe that will fix things), but I'm waiting (patiently) on 3.0.5 on webOS to drop, as I want to peform a full & clean wipe of my device anyway. Start from scratch on all of it so to speak.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Every time I see your avatar, I think about how much I enjoyed reading the Cold Fire trilogy!
    DaveInFL likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast