Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
  1.    #1  
    The TP is the first tablet I have owned; I own an iPhone 3GS - Currently - long story - in trying to get gifts for people, not necessarily for Christmas, I have managed to secure 2 extra 32GB TPs - and 3 7 inch Android tablets, Iconia, Dell Streak, and HTC Flyer. The Flyer, which is sitting in the post office, is for me - The Dell Streak I just opened today - going to sell it or return it. I only opened it for myself to see if this screen is as bad as a lot of people say. It is. The Iconia is just sitting there in the box; I might give it as a gift - I might not.

I figured the if I am going to give the TP as a gift, I should at least put Android on it; a more functional OS. Well, sure, I know that is a matter of opinion, but I have no real experience with Android beyond a few frustrating minutes at BB trying to enjoy it. At least the HTC is nice and bright and I love the Sense overlay.

So, this nu-b put on Android yesterday, without many problems. And I played with it and I was excited to be able to download the only two apps that are really important to me: Nook and Words With Friends. Nook works very well - WWF will not open. Other than my excitement over the idea of a dual boot, I just could not get excited about Android - My TP did not have all of those cutesie items I see on videos and on tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Today, out of the blue, one of my students - a computer programmer and TP owner - showed up. And with clicks here and pull downs there - and lots of installations - my TP started to look more sophisticated - or did it?

I arrived home and tried to figure out what all he had done; tried to emulate it - and for unrelated reasons had to reboot into WebOs - and I just smiled. WebOs is so simple, straight forward, effective - it is too the point - no extra clutter - streamlined - and yes - IT IS sophisticated in its simplicity. I always know what I am going to get - and what it does well - it simply does well!

To be honest - I really only need those two apps on my TP - and a browser that does not frustrate me - and there will be no reason for me to boot into Android again. What I am sitting here thinking is that since between my 32GB TP and my 16 GB Flyer - which will serve me nicely on the go and as my ereader - I paid less than the cheapest Ipad and many other Android tablets- and that is one hell of a deal for this sort of versatility. For now, I am going to stop torturing myself with Android on the TP - I am happy that I was able to install it on my own. But at the end of the day - for what I want to do on a 10 inch tablet - there is no other OS system for me right now! It is fine for streaming videos and reading the news.

I truly hope that a favorable decision comes out of HP over the next few days - favorable for those of us who love and truly see the benefit of webOS - Some very simple tweaks and offerings - and support of course - and I really cannot see that there is anything better out there. For now, I will endure some frustration - but still enjoy my TP!
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 12/09/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Quills, somline, k4ever and 1 others like this.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I didn't like Android all that much at first, but with a couple tweaks and a little exposure... well, I've booted back into WebOS maybe twice for a few minutes in the past couple months. WebOS has all the apps I need, but on Android there are at least two options that are better for each of these apps... and that's really what it's all about.

Yeah, WebOS is more noob friendly right now, but that counts for next to nothing IMHO.

And all that aside... the simple fact is that web browsing is A LOT faster on Android. Try out the Miren browser before complaining about web browsing on Android.
    dignitary likes this.
    i have a smartphone with android, so i was excited to have a unified os experience when the alpha build of cm7 became available for tp owners.

after installing cm7, it was all i used for the last month or so. but, i found myself booting into webos recently, and wow...webos is so much more intuitive (of course, webos is the first os that i became somewhat "fluent" with/in).

long story short, to each his/her own...but i keep coming back to webos (from ios, and from android). op, i'm with you...webos is the most elegant, user friendly os out there.

p.s.: i'd be surprised if hp kept webos "up"...but hp has surpised me before, so who knows.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Guys, if you want to stick with webOS, then do so. Nobody is forcing you to use android.

-Suntan
    Rnp, k4ever and dignitary like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Guys, if you want to stick with webOS, then do so. Nobody is forcing you to use android.

-Suntan
    This lends nothing productive to people reflecting on there experiences and preferences; no one has said anything about feeling forced into anything!
    emceesquared and Quills like this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quills View Post
    i have a smartphone with android, so i was excited to have a unified os experience when the alpha build of cm7 became available for tp owners.

after installing cm7, it was all i used for the last month or so. but, i found myself booting into webos recently, and wow...webos is so much more intuitive (of course, webos is the first os that i became somewhat "fluent" with/in).

long story short, to each his/her own...but i keep coming back to webos (from ios, and from android). op, i'm with you...webos is the most elegant, user friendly os out there.

p.s.: i'd be surprised if hp kept webos "up"...but hp has surpised me before, so who knows.
    Well since posting that, I hAve received an HTC Flyer, and i absolutely love it. It is the first time I have felt pretty comfortable on an Android device. That being said, I still prefer webos for my TP- It just feel more appropriate for what I want out of my TP. So I am goin to enjoy ios, web's, and android and make the most out of those systems where they work best for me.

-Suntan
    Where is the button "I Agree"?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Implied that they got curious about Android from all the hype about it from some posters on this forum and went to satisfy their curiousity only to find out their disappointment and realize that the "grass is not always greener." (Only they state it in the positive--with gratitude and joy for webOS, nice going)
    And why shouldn't they talk about their experience with Android in this way--after all, and very strangely for a webOS site, there are repeated posters on these forums that choose to to talk about their preference for Android here rather than going to androidcentral? Interesting, as time goes by, some even knowledgable TouchPad Androidites are acknowledging the issues with the boot into android.
    k4ever and Touchkeeper like this.
    Here's the thing about WebOS. It's Windows 7.

I love Windows 7.

LOL, I love how bluenote talks about people that talk here about Android... "interesting" like it's some goddamned conspiracy.

Very strange. Oh yes. Totally. It has nothing to do with the fact that this forum showed up in peoples' Google search when they looked for Touchpad.

This was / is the Touchpad tweaking forum! It's all over Google search when you're looking for ways to speed the device up, or what you can run (homebrew) or whatever.

Regardless of people here saying "THIS IS WEBOS ONLY" and closing the little clubhouse door... Google begs to differ, man. The firesalers were here because they wanted help. Not elitist bull****.

Here's what I think is "interesting" - you can talk all day here about Ubuntu on the Touchpad and not get put in the back room, where your posts don't show on the main page. No one gets told to go to Ubuntu Central or whatever when it's mentioned.
    This is a webOS site, look at all the forums. There is a sister site with loads of information about android and a special section for the TouchPad hardware.

Ubuntu runs in a card just like the webOS apps--thus it adds to the webOS experience.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    I did look at the forums. WebOS is separated out into a subforum. There are specific topics in the main forum that are for Touchpad; for instance, accessories and information resources - they're not specific to WebOS and most of the content has nothing to do with WebOS. You're suggesting that no off-WebOS topics are allowed, that's not reflected in the structure of the community at all. And yes, Google search has picked up on that, like I was saying.

The only time things get thrown into this "older palm devices" forum is when someone mentions Android. In fact, even Windows 8 on Touchpad topics don't get moved (or directed to other web sites). Ubuntu doesn't add to the WebOS experience at all. The fact that it runs in a card is irrelevant, it has its own application ecosystem and it doesn't share resources (aside from the drive, which Android does as well). Saying Ubuntu adds to WebOS is exactly like saying running a Virtual Machine adds to the Windows experience, but dual booting doesn't. Unless you're talking about VMWare itself, the VM adds nothing to the host OS. Ubuntu topics don't get moved, even if they have 0 to do with the interface with the host OS. And by the way, when Android on a card is mentioned... those topics get moved.

As for Android Central - that's a sister site that doesn't share membership, doesn't cross post news items, doesn't see as much activity, and has ONE forum for Touchpad, versus this forum's FIVE (8 with subforums). Not to mention that it doesn't even show up in Google search for most android on touchpad topics. If you want to specifically discuss android for touchpad, and that's ALL (note the content of the discussions), you go to Rootz or AndroidCommunity.

This is just overmoderation of a forum that is trying to grow - and frankly, bring the owners of the site more revenue and viewership, which in turn raises the profile of this family of devices, and the OSs that power them. Long term, embracing all of the possibilities here is what will keep this community vibrant. Why not make a subforum, and keep the community together? These topics aren't about "older" devices, or even "other tablets".

Think about it - we're all here because of the openness of WebOS, and the correct decisions that were made. Why not discuss everything in the place that started it?

Contrast that to the PlayBook's OS.

But whatever - if exclusion is the way this forum wants to move forward, fine.
    the forum here for Touchpad is for webOs on a Touchpad--the key thing is webOs and the optimization tips are for webos. Ubuntu is supplementary and was created in that spirit.
    I needed to learn about android yesterday, I googled it as you suggest and realized quickly that the most knowledgeable help was gained on the rootziki, the androidcentral subforum and the main android forums. As makes sense.
    That said anyone is welcome here who comes to learn
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Implied that they got curious about Android from all the hype about it from some posters on this forum and went to satisfy their curiousity only to find out their disappointment and realize that the "grass is not always greener." (Only they state it in the positive--with gratitude and joy for webOS, nice going)
    And why shouldn't they talk about their experience with Android in this way--after all, and very strangely for a webOS site, there are repeated posters on these forums that choose to to talk about their preference for Android here rather than going to androidcentral? Interesting, as time goes by, some even knowledgable TouchPad Androidites are acknowledging the issues with the boot into android.
    I totally agree. It is implied that it is alright to say good things about Android on PreCentral but not good things about webOS on PreCentral. If you defend webOS on a webOS community site you are a fan boy. Really?

I moved from Android to webOS but I still retained a couple of Android devices. When I bring out the flaws I've noticed from using Android for almost 4 years on many devices and by actually participating in Android forums, these guys go on the defensive. I'm told I'm not telling the truth. When I provide links to forums or articles pointing out these flaws on certain devices, I'm ask why anyone would want to use that particular device. If the problem is with the whole operating system, then I should "wait for Gingerbread, ICS, or (insert next version of Android here)". Really?

You are right. There is a place called Android Central that is easily accessible by clicking the Android link in the Mobile Nations banner at the top of the screen. If they want someone to get all giddy with them over Android, they should go there. This is a webOS site. We get giddy over webOS here.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    I did look at the forums. WebOS is separated out into a subforum. There are specific topics in the main forum that are for Touchpad; for instance, accessories and information resources - they're not specific to WebOS and most of the content has nothing to do with WebOS. You're suggesting that no off-WebOS topics are allowed, that's not reflected in the structure of the community at all. And yes, Google search has picked up on that, like I was saying.

The only time things get thrown into this "older palm devices" forum is when someone mentions Android. In fact, even Windows 8 on Touchpad topics don't get moved (or directed to other web sites). Ubuntu doesn't add to the WebOS experience at all. The fact that it runs in a card is irrelevant, it has its own application ecosystem and it doesn't share resources (aside from the drive, which Android does as well). Saying Ubuntu adds to WebOS is exactly like saying running a Virtual Machine adds to the Windows experience, but dual booting doesn't. Unless you're talking about VMWare itself, the VM adds nothing to the host OS. Ubuntu topics don't get moved, even if they have 0 to do with the interface with the host OS. And by the way, when Android on a card is mentioned... those topics get moved.

As for Android Central - that's a sister site that doesn't share membership, doesn't cross post news items, doesn't see as much activity, and has ONE forum for Touchpad, versus this forum's FIVE (8 with subforums). Not to mention that it doesn't even show up in Google search for most android on touchpad topics. If you want to specifically discuss android for touchpad, and that's ALL (note the content of the discussions), you go to Rootz or AndroidCommunity.

This is just overmoderation of a forum that is trying to grow - and frankly, bring the owners of the site more revenue and viewership, which in turn raises the profile of this family of devices, and the OSs that power them. Long term, embracing all of the possibilities here is what will keep this community vibrant. Why not make a subforum, and keep the community together? These topics aren't about "older" devices, or even "other tablets".

Think about it - we're all here because of the openness of WebOS, and the correct decisions that were made. Why not discuss everything in the place that started it?

Contrast that to the PlayBook's OS.

But whatever - if exclusion is the way this forum wants to move forward, fine.
    I don't think this is about exclusion. I think it is about two things:

1. Growing the webOS Community
    2. Insuring that users are pointed to the right place for help

I believe number 1 is self explanatory. This is, after all, a webOS site. It is about getting help with and sharing experiences with webOS. This is not a Windows, Android, iOS, or other operating system site. I believe that the OP's story is appropriate as it provides a comparison. However, I don't feel that an all out story about another operating system that doesn't have anything to do with webOS or webOS hardware is appropriate.

Number 2 seems to be the sticking point. I know that iOS users are pointed towards TiPB when they start talking about iOS only stuff. I have seen Windows Mobile users get pointed towards their appropriate sites for the same reason. Ubuntu runs in a card on top of webOS. The distro that is used is specific to that. You are not going to get any help from an Ubuntu forum simply because the issue is not a totally Ubuntu related issue. I've seen the Android in a card project get treated the same way; as a webOS issue.

CM7 is completely different. It is an Android distribution that runs on the TouchPad, separate of webOS. It has nothing to do with webOS and does not need any part of webOS to work. It is totally independent. There was space allocated on Android Central for it. I have seen questions get asked there that go unanswered because you guys are wasting your time here. As you pointed out there is also Rootz and the CM forums.

Those sites are where your Android community is. Those sites can accommodate the hard questions about Android on the TouchPad or Android in general. Why should the PreCentral guys waste space here for that?

Most of the time I don't think it wouldn't be so bad to slip a question about another OS in here or there. However, as a PreCentral user, I don't like the constant badgering of webOS on this site in favor of another operating system. I find it sad that someone would come here and do that. Actually I find it pathetic. Like you are compensating for something. I feel it brings down our community and causes scorn towards your beloved operating system.

That's just my two cents...
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Oh, and while you guys are at it, why not walk into Burger King and ask them why they don't sell Big Macs or want to talk about the Big Mac. Tell them the that the Whopper ain't sh_t because it gets outsold by the Big Mac and McDonald's is the number one. I'm pretty sure you will be asked to leave.

Now walk into there and ask them why they think the Whopper is better than the Big Mac or for a simple comparison of the Whopper to the Big Mac. They will probably talk your head off and smile while doing it.

I think it is foolish to come to a Whopper site, try to sell someone a Big Mac, and then get upset about the repercussions.
    If Burger King had a section specifically for talking about the Big Mac, maybe a little area called "Other Burgers," walled off where people who didn't want to hear about it didn't have to, then I see no problem with it.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    hey K4ever, just a note to say I found your posts helpful as ever when I went looking for android info, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    hey K4ever, just a note to say I found your posts helpful as ever when I went looking for android info, thanks.
    No problem. I try to preach the truth, based on my experiences, to new Android users and not the B.S. that some of these other guys are trying to sell.

I won't be booting into Android anytime soon. Not having NetFlix so long on webOS has made me appreciate having it on my HDTV, so using it on Android is just a novelty now (I still want it on webOS though!). I will probably use it heavily next time I go on a trip out of town. When I do boot into Android I will continue to post my questions and concerns over at Android Central. Hope to see some of you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Oh, and while you guys are at it, why not walk into Burger King and ask them why they don't sell Big Macs or want to talk about the Big Mac. Tell them the that the Whopper ain't sh_t because it gets outsold by the Big Mac and McDonald's is the number one. I'm pretty sure you will be asked to leave.

Now walk into there and ask them why they think the Whopper is better than the Big Mac or for a simple comparison of the Whopper to the Big Mac. They will probably talk your head off and smile while doing it.

I think it is foolish to come to a Whopper site, try to sell someone a Big Mac, and then get upset about the repercussions.
    I honestly don't think anyone I've ever seen working at the local Burger King would care.

Alternatively, I have yet to see anyone come into a McDonalds and fall all over themselves blathering to everyone in the restaurant, again and again, about how they went and took a bite of a wopper only to return to their beloved Big Mac for this, this and this reason...

-Suntan
    dignitary likes this.
    I honestly don't think anyone I've ever seen working at the local Burger King would care.

Alternatively, I have yet to see anyone come into a McDonalds and fall all over themselves blathering to everyone in the restaurant, again and again, about how they went and took a bite of a wopper only to return to their beloved Big Mac for this, this and this reason...

-Suntan
    I used to work in a Carl's Jr (Hardies) as a teenager. We used to have a different ***** come each every month and ask for a Big Mac or Whopper.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast