Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes
    i think we have to understand that webos is essentially frozen right now - at least until some announcement is made. The Touchpad is a webos device - so to talk about a webos device whatever ppl are doing to it (i.e. CM7, ubuntu) should not be a crime. In fact, maybe there should be a sub-forum here? After all, aren't androidcentral and precentral owned by the same ppl?

We CM7 users still love webos and if webos had a)a real working citrix b) where's my water c) cut the rope and some of the other popular apps (even angry birds season 2012 is not updated for webos side), no one here would be booting into android.

To continue the above analogy, it's like we walk into burger king and the menu is there but there's no food items left whatsoever and there's no hope of ever to get more food in and yet the store is still open - well that's the webos dilemma.
    Mutoidi, steffej3 and dignitary like this.
    You need your own forum as this one is for people who walk into the very same restaurant that you do and we see and enjoy a table full of food. Even if it doesn't have every single item that the place next door has and even though the other place is only 2 feet away, we prefer the food and decor here. This forum is to talk about the food and decor that is here although as I said earlier we welcome anyone who wants to learn with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    i think we have to understand that webos is essentially frozen right now - at least until some announcement is made. The Touchpad is a webos device - so to talk about a webos device whatever ppl are doing to it (i.e. CM7, ubuntu) should not be a crime. In fact, maybe there should be a sub-forum here? After all, aren't androidcentral and precentral owned by the same ppl?

We CM7 users still love webos and if webos had a)a real working citrix b) where's my water c) cut the rope and some of the other popular apps (even angry birds season 2012 is not updated for webos side), no one here would be booting into android.

To continue the above analogy, it's like we walk into burger king and the menu is there but there's no food items left whatsoever and there's no hope of ever to get more food in and yet the store is still open - well that's the webos dilemma.
    No webOS is like walking into a top notch steak house. Your choices are limited, but what they do serve is great. Android is like the food court in the mall. There are a ton of choices but most are just acceptable when you are hungry and just want food.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    No webOS is like walking into a top notch steak house. Your choices are limited, but what they do serve is great. Android is like the food court in the mall. There are a ton of choices but most are just acceptable when you are hungry and just want food.
    lol, hardly. Maybe if the food court also happened to feature a top notch steak house or two that metaphor would fadge... The main issue is that the food court is under construction while the singular steak house is perhaps in walking distance and the waiter knows what your "usual" is...
    dignitary likes this.
    This is one of the best analogies I've heard--Smart.
    I feel that the approach towards Android posts was heavy-handed a while back but seems to be getting less so, and more in line with the way I think it should be. (And of course it is the moderators' prerogative to handle the forum in the way that they see fit.)

There are, I'm sure, a lot of people like me who've not put CM7 on their TouchPad - it is after all an alpha release of a phone OS - but who like Android on their phone and appreciate hearing progress reports of the dual-boot development, both with CM7 and towards an ICS release.

Those people, like me, also love webOS (we'd have been off to CM7 like a shot if we didn't), and so frequent these forums. We're visiting here all the time, so this is where we'd like to hear updates on the things we can do with our devices. Going off to dig through AndroidCentral, with a separate account, would be an additional activity, of limited value.

My own feeling is that the PreCentral forums should be happy to host discussions of how to load Android (or Ubuntu, or game system emulators, or DOS/Windows) regardless of whether it's in a card or a dual boot. Discussions on the use of particular apps purely on the alternate OS should be diverted to the other sites.

Comparisons between the versions of apps running on both webOS and Android is a grey area, but I think it should be allowed here as it could solve an issue for some PreCentral users, or help spur on webOS development.

As I indicated above, it looks to me as though the moderators are tending towards this view too.

Spyke
    No webOS is like walking into a top notch steak house...
    There's steak:

http://www.precentral.net/astraware-...mes-touchpad-1

and then there's steak:

http://www.androidcentral.com/onlive...-game-included

GREE Brings Major Gaming Studios To Android – Capcom, Konami, Square Enix and Sega All On Board

But games aren't everything of course...

-Suntan
    dignitary likes this.
    this thread is odd...
    Touchkeeper and The Bard like this.
  9.    #29  
    As Quills has stated - this thread has gotten a bit odd - so I will address some of the themes that are coming up in it.

When I bought my TP - I knew very little about operating systems. All I knew was that I had an Iphone 3Gs which I love because of how it is able to serve my particular needs on THIS particular device, but of course, it does have limitations. Of course I had heard of Android - but other than being more conducive to user customization, as opposed to iOS's walled-garden, I knew nothing else. It is the anti-iOS, which is quite appealing to me. I figured I would get an Android tablet (a Samsung, as I love their products) simply because I wanted more freedom to do what I want with MY products.

Like many, I bought the TP (and trust - I put a LOT of energy into securing one initially) simply because of the fire sale. I knew nothing about WebOS- I cannot even remember if I even knew if/how it was much different from Android or iOS. And at only $149, I certainly was up for trying it out! I did - I love webOS-I stand by it - I promote it - and I am critical of it, well how it has been mishandled, that is.

I tried CM7 for very specific reasons: to get two specific apps and to get a better browsing experience. Additionally, I was/am looking forward to ICS, if only because it is similar to webOS in some ways, and I can install it and give 2 TPs as gifts without worrying that the recipients will suffer some common frustrations felt when using webOS. Given that ICS on the TP is still many weeks away, but Christmas is fast approaching, I wanted to at least get an idea of what Android on a TP would be like before deciding to keep or sell the TPs and get different gifts. And YES, I am aware that this is an Alpha software - that it is not Android's best foot forward! It never was my interest to replace webOS as my primary OS.

After I used Android on the TP, I simply decided that it is not for me. This does not mean that I do not see the value of other operating systems. I do, but on my TP - Android has little value to ME at this time. I simply do not like it! When I booted into webOS, I even realized that I missed it. On my Flyer I love Android. There are folks who look down their noses at the Flyer because it uses Gingerbread, but I love HTC's Sense overlay. It works fluidly for me - and put at my fingertips in a streamlined way, all the things I need/want out of a 7 inch tablet. I do not care if it ever gets Honeycomb or ICS.

I put my money into what works for ME. I have no interest in getting into childish and meaningless debates about what is or is not better for another person, and give little attention to another person's self-centered dictation that I should want/like what they do! Wars start over this sort of small-mindedness! I wanted to share my experience, and yes, to give webOS its due props, something that I did in the beginning, but less so once my want of a Nook app and a better browsing experience grew, and my confidence HP's decision to keep and support it lessened.

I have to be honest - as a relatively new person here - I have made it a point to be mindful NOT to over-talk Android in these forums. I realized early on that this webOS community - small as it might be - is a very proud and tight-knit community, and have wondered how people who long-ago saw the value in webOS have felt to very suddenly have their forums over-run with webOS detractors, many of whom only came to it by way of a fire sale; with no sincere interest in and love of this OS. To be honest, I have found that folks have been incredibly tolerant and patient here! There are many mobile technology sites out there where the regulars are notoriously hostile to people who do not agree with their group-think attitude, who are remotely critical of the groups' favorite new gadget , and/or suggest that something -especially an unbranded product - might be equally as good as their current talked-about, high-priced prize.

It is great that there is room for diversity of discussion here, but I have to agree with some others that, as there are places for folks who are particularly interested in espousing the greatness of Android over webOS, those discussions should be held in those forums meant specifically for them! To make such a point was not the intent of this thread, but since the thread has branched out in other directions, I wanted to add my sentiments on some of these topics.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 12/09/2011 at 12:14 AM.
    bluenote and k4ever like this.
    I've already beat up the Onlive Support site to ask them for webOS support, so it may be helpful if everyone else did too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've already beat up the Onlive Support site to ask them for webOS support, so it may be helpful if everyone else did too.
    Wait till HP decision tomorrow...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Wait till HP decision tomorrow...
    It could be as late as Wednesday.
    Patches from Maverickz:

I am not sure why, but when I switch over to CM7 on my touchpad recently I have been getting problems connecting to or managing the wifi settings. Been getting a lot of messages saying that the wireless settings window was not responding and giving me options to force close or wait. I ended up just rebooting into webOS and all is well again.

Tablet no good without WiFi
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    As Quills has stated - this thread has gotten a bit odd -
    Well, this forum (Other Tablets) is supposed to be a place for non-HP tablet discussion and comparison, but all that really gets talked about here anymore is the touchpad. It used to be that there were threads talking about other tablet offerings and how the hardware/software combination compared and contrasted to the Touchpad (well to what people thought the touchpad would be when it finally released.)

Now it is just a place for “android on the TP” to be shoehorned. Where people come to write lengthy diatribes about why other TP owners shouldn’t bother trying out the free install of android, or how android on the TP is half baked and people that haven’t tried it yet should be extremely wary of claims by anyone that says they appreciate having the option of android on the TP.

Don’t be surprised that threads go sideways.

In any case, the TP comes with a copy of webOS. You can install android on it for free with relatively little effort and impact on the webOS partition to try it out too. Further, you can freely boot between the two whenever you want. Also, there is plenty of documentation on it, adding it and removing it. It isn’t like this is some massive conspiracy by “android users” to “dupe” people into blindly installing android and then being stuck with it.

In short, it’s free, try it if you want to. Use it if you like it. Delete it if you don’t.

-Suntan
    Words with Friends version 4.54 works on the Touchpad CM7 if you can find it online... Really the only reason I boot to CM7
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Well, this forum (Other Tablets) is supposed to be a place for non-HP tablet discussion and comparison, but all that really gets talked about here anymore is the touchpad. It used to be that there were threads talking about other tablet offerings and how the hardware/software combination compared and contrasted to the Touchpad (well to what people thought the touchpad would be when it finally released.)

Now it is just a place for “android on the TP” to be shoehorned. Where people come to write lengthy diatribes about why other TP owners shouldn’t bother trying out the free install of android, or how android on the TP is half baked and people that haven’t tried it yet should be extremely wary of claims by anyone that says they appreciate having the option of android on the TP.

In any case, the TP comes with a copy of webOS. You can install android on it for free with relatively little effort and impact on the webOS partition to try it out too. Further, you can freely boot between the two whenever you want. Also, there is plenty of documentation on it, adding it and removing it. It isn’t like this is some massive conspiracy by “android users” to “dupe” people into blindly installing android and then being stuck with it.

In short, it’s free, try it if you want to. Use it if you like it. Delete it if you don’t.

-Suntan
    I started this thread in the Touchpad forum; it got moved. I had no idea where it landed - I had to log into my account and search my own posts just to find it, but it was meant to be in the Touchpad. Oh well....
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdavis View Post
    Words with Friends version 4.54 works on the Touchpad CM7 if you can find it online... Really the only reason I boot to CM7
    I installed, what I think is, the latest version -the Alpha 3; I just did it last weekend. Is that not the latest? WWF simply will not open for me at all. The Nook app is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan
    Just like with everything else in life you have to watch where you say things. I for one don't mind comparison between other tablets and the TouchPad. I in fact welcome them as I am certain that others do on this site. I don't even mind the talk about Android in comparison to webOS. I use both and can easily point out pluses and minuses for each of them.

What I despise is the Android/iOS is better than webOS because it has more apps/support/etc and you are a fool to use webOS so why even bother you are all zealots because you defend webOS on a webOS site this crap is never going to change so just give up and buy something else you are wasting your time and money kind of talk that comes out of these threads. We have a right to defend webOS on a webOS sight. Think of it as your right to defend your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    I started this thread in the Touchpad forum; it got moved. I had no idea where it landed - I had to log into my account and search my own posts just to find it, but it was meant to be in the Touchpad. Oh well....
    That happens. Usually a moderator will post a comment in the thread saying that the thread has been moved.

Also, I agree with you on HTC. They do a good job making Android liveable with Sense UI. I have an EVO 3D. Too bad their stuff is proprietary.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Just like with everything else in life you have to watch where you say things. I for one don't mind comparison between other tablets and the TouchPad. I in fact welcome them as I am certain that others do on this site. I don't even mind the talk about Android in comparison to webOS. I use both and can easily point out pluses and minuses for each of them.

What I despise is the Android/iOS is better than webOS because it has more apps/support/etc and you are a fool to use webOS so why even bother you are all zealots because you defend webOS on a webOS site this crap is never going to change so just give up and buy something else you are wasting your time and money kind of talk that comes out of these threads. We have a right to defend webOS on a webOS sight. Think of it as your right to defend your home.
    Really there is no right or wrong in the debate. The right OS for one person may not be right for someone else. If you want lots of games or Netflix then webOS is NOT right for you. I got my tablet for Corporate email and calendaring, plus personal email. There is not a paid app or app combo for iOS or Android that is better than the webOS built in email and calendaring apps (especially with the patches I added). For me to use Android I would have to write whole new email and calendaring apps from scratch to get the functionality that I need/want.
    Patches from Maverickz:

This thread makes me hungry!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12