Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #1  
    hi all!
    i installed the latest android alpha a week ago (How to Install Android on Your HP Touchpad - How-To Geek) and i have not had a single issue eversince. now my TP is an almost fully functioning TP - one i can work with.
    although i still love webos, HP did not leave me another decision
    markus
    Quote Originally Posted by 149047 View Post
    now my TP is an almost fully functioning TP - one i can work with.
    My WebOS TP seems to be fully functioning and doing eveything I need it to do, I guess I'm missing something but I don't know what (and yes I have used CM7 Android). If they pull the plug on the WebOS infrastructure then I'll convert, but I see no need to do so before then.
    geekpeter and darkzone like this.
    For some, the grass is always greener on the other side.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    bluenote, somline, gbp and 3 others like this.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

But that's the beauty of dual-boot, you get to enjoy the grass on both sides of the fence.
    I have been using both for about a week and still like webos better on the touchpad....

Though Cm7 is better on the touchpad then I thought it would be....

As far as phones do, I hated android as a phone...Webos kills andoid when it comes to phones.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I just put CM7 on my TP last night. Its working fine but it just feels unfinished!

I don't know how else to explain it, I just don't get the interface. Its pretty clunky. WebOS is much prettier in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Honestly, I wish I could pick and choose bits and pieces of the two.

The webOS desperately needs a browser update, application fixes (Facebook I'm lookin' at you), and a few specific apps.

Android really needs a facelift, notifications, application facelifts, and task management.

I guess it comes down to whether HP invests in a webOS future or not. At this point, I'm not going to get my hopes up.
    I just put CM7 on my TP last night. Its working fine but it just feels unfinished!

I don't know how else to explain it, I just don't get the interface. Its pretty clunky. WebOS is much prettier in my opinion.
    That's because CM7 uses an old version of Android which isn't tablet optimized - it's basically a phone OS and feels like one too.

If Ice Cream Sandwich ever makes it to the Touchpad (CM9), it will be a BEAST! :-)

Soul Brother likes this.
    Honestly, I wish I could pick and choose bits and pieces of the two.

The webOS desperately needs a browser update, application fixes (Facebook I'm lookin' at you), and a few specific apps.

Android really needs a facelift, notifications, application facelifts, and task management.

I guess it comes down to whether HP invests in a webOS future or not. At this point, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

the sad thing is what webOS needs it's easily fixable, what Android needs is lacking on the OS foundation.

To me, Android is like Symbian, but with developers support.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by deCorvett; 12/05/2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Newness Developments apps:

Rnp likes this.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Whatever you can say about app support, access to an ecosystem and all of those things (and I've made all of those arguments) - CM7 sure is ugly on a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    the sad thing is what webOS needs it's easily fixable, what Android needs is lacking on the OS foundation.

To me, Android is like Symbian, but with developers support.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Nearly ever person I talk to who buys an Android tablet has buyers remorse within a week. Most stick with it out of a desire to not buy Apple products.

Now that's not to say there aren't happy Android users, but I find that most of them are happy because they don't know any better. (Alrighty Android fans.... let the fur fly.... ) lol
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I downloaded a modified version by from xron. Its pretty cool and its my first experience with android. There are a lot of things I like about it, especially the keyboard, the touch sensitivity and word suggestions really rock. Copy features much better. Much better than webOS. I like the browser WAY better. Th email and calendar client sucks but ice cream sandwich has a much better app. Live wallpapers are cool but eat batteries. There other things about it that really impress me.

That being said, way too many bugs still, and gingerbread is made for phones. So I could never replace webOS with gingerbread. I will wait for ice cream sandwich and then webOS will be a memory.

Right now I have a problem with trust too. How do I know there isn't some some hidden software collecting all my private and secure data? So I don't go to secure sites with it right now. Does anybody know this guy?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Nearly ever person I talk to who buys an Android tablet has buyers remorse within a week. Most stick with it out of a desire to not buy Apple products.

Now that's not to say there aren't happy Android users, but I find that most of them are happy because they don't know any better. (Alrighty Android fans.... let the fur fly.... ) lol
    There is nothing about either WebOS or Android that would convince me to pay full-price for a tablet. Yes, I get a lot of use out of my TP for reading PDFs and a few other things but it's not enough to convince me to pay more than fire sale prices; once we get into paying full price, I'd rather pay a bit more and have a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There is nothing about either WebOS or Android that would convince me to pay full-price for a tablet. Yes, I get a lot of use out of my TP for reading PDFs and a few other things but it's not enough to convince me to pay more than fire sale prices; once we get into paying full price, I'd rather pay a bit more and have a laptop.
    True. That's why Windows 8 is going to be a big deal. I think there will always be room for Android, iOS, and webOS, but I think Windows 8 on a tablet is a huge game changer. I imagine there are some people up at night at all three companies....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I use CM7 for Scrabble and Netflix--literally.

Not exactly a compelling testimony for an OS.

I think whoever at HP came up with the walled garden (iOS)/Wild West (Android)/best of both worlds (webOS + webosinternals, etc.) quote had it pretty much right.

On the webosinternals point, I just added a bunch of the recent optimization patches to my overclocked Pre3, and it is just fantastic!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have a TouchPad which currently runs only webOS (I've also bought one for my kids and one for my father-in-law), I've recently switched out my old Pre for a Nexus S 4G (on which I've run both Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich), my wife is still on her Pre, and my mother-in-law has a Samsung Galaxy S II phone and the Samsung Galaxy tablet. So, I've had a chance to use all of these devices for a decent amount of time.

After my experiences in the webOS vs Android world, what I can say is this: as far as a mobile OS goes, webOS is the most intuitive and user-friendly OS there is. The card metaphors and multitasking in webOS are beyond compare to anything else out there. How it has not done better in the marketplace confounds me. Had any company with a decent amount of $ in their pockets been willing to invest in the continued development and fostering of the OS it would have thrived.

The two biggest issues I have with webOS are:
    1. Lack of new apps (not that there are a whole lot more that I need) and
    2. Speed/quickness of the OS.

The biggest thing I noticed when I got my NS4G was how quickly apps would load, how quick it was to boot, and how smooth it was to move around within the screens. I've patched my TouchPad with everything there is to speed things up and have overclocked it to 1.7 GHz and it still isn't as snappy as the Android OSes are.

That being said, the thing I found most disappointing with the Galaxy Tab was how confusing it was to move around. With no buttons on the device, it was really difficult to plod my way through getting what I want to do. Granted, once I got there, it was pretty smooth. But I can see why these would be returned for a refund.

Overall, the Android OSes seem...incomplete. But not wholeheartedly so. It's incomplete in the way that, let's say you bought a new car that runs really nice, is fast and has lots of cool features. However, you can't turn without first coming to a complete stop. But, once you do, you're off and running without a hitch.

webOS would be more along the lines of the complete car. The car has some neat features (but there are some you just can't get), has a really nice engine, but is in major need of a tuneup.

In the end, I like Android. But if HP were to decide that they really wanted to keep and work on webOS and make new devices, I'd go with webOS.

Anyway, that's my experience and opinion.
    I've had my TP for a week now. I have used both OS's. webos is a bit snappier, however android offers a lot more customization, as well as a wider variety of apps. It's taken some getting used to but android is more feature rich to me.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    If it wasn't for the large selection of apps I wouldn't use CM7. webOS is far superior than Android 2.3 in almost every other respect.

Not really a fair comparison though as the TP hardware wasn't designed to run Android. I'd imagine 2.3 on an Android phone would slightly less annoying to use. I'm also guessing that Honeycomb and ICS are a big step up in terms of user experience.
    I'm using both (and participating in both marketplaces, of course). You'll pardon me for discussing games, I'm all about productivity too, but games are generally more optimized for a system than anything else.

I will say this - Android really shows off how much of a BEAST the Touchpad is. It has really GREAT hardware. The graphics processing power shown off in ShadowGun and RipTide HD are amazing, and unfortunately, when loading games that have versions in both OSs, you see the difference. GunBros for example is framey / laggy to an unreasonable degree in WebOS versus Android. Similarly on the 2D side, Glow Hockey and Angry Birds seem to run a bit slower, and while Angry Birds has a nicer zoomed view, it does have the occasional hitch which is just silly in a game that simple.

Speaking of which, why are there any "hitches" ever? I understand it has something to do with how multitasking works on that OS... maybe? But it's insane to wonder for 1/2s-1s whether or not the machine is locked up. Micro-freezes are all over in WebOS, and shouldn't be!

Emulation of the Sega Genesis is perfect on the Android side, and doesn't exist on WebOS. (and it's free on Android - GenPlusDroid).

If the slowness is because WebOS has optimized their UI - then perhaps optimizing an interface isn't all its cracked up to be. Getting closer to the hardware and not worrying about pretty - is that so bad? Why should booting a Tablet OS take more than a minute?

The WebOS email client is awesome, the calendar is better, the Kindle app DESTROYS the Android Kindle app (page turn animations and better page backgrounds FTW), my kid loves iStoryBooks, etc. But Android's Dolphin HD browser just SPANKS the WebOS browser.

WebOS deserved a commitment from HP that it never got, and it's too bad. I like WebOS, but the slowness, even when overclocked, is not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

more like the novelty factor of something new and shiney.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast