Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree39Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Seriously, if you can't do basic research before buying a phone then fragmentation would probably not affect you anyways. There are people out there running Android 2.1 on their Samsung Vibrant, not having a clue that there are updates to the newer OS and guess what, they don't care unless you tell them. This is where ignorance is bliss. If you do enough research to know about fragmentation then you can do enough research to find out which phones can be rooted, which LG, Samsung, and HTC can and some Motorolas can't. Even then, what big difference would a regular person notice going from 2.2 to 2.3? It's a little more optimized but I don't know of any apps that don't run on one but not on the other.

Archos doesn't even make the top 10 of Android tablets. So when you have so many other better options then who would buy an Archos? I've never even seen one in a store.

13 best Android tablets in the world | News | TechRadar
    I didn't mean to be a complete jerk in the last post, put take into mind that the time I bought my tablet, the only real choices were the 7 inch Galaxy Tab, the Motorola Xoom, Dell's tablet, a few no-name specialty devices, and Archos. It has been close to a year now and there are so many more Android tablets on the market. Comparing now to then doesn't work.

If you go to any forum and ask for help on a device and there is new firmware out (that doesn't have issues), the first thing you are going to be told is to update to the new firmware.

Doing the research now about rooting doesn't help you out later if the company changes its mind or issues firmware that disables rooting. At the time the A70/101 could be rooted with a simple program called Archangel. Archos would issue out new firmware that would disable Archangel and the developer would get around it. Archos finally won. They came up with a firmware update the developer could not get around. We waited and waited for the new version of Archangel only to get a message that it could no longer work. This was the same time that 2.2 hit the street and many of us had upgraded to it, only to find out that our 3rd party home screen launchers would get killed by 2.2's aggressive memory management. There was a hack for it, but of course it required rooting the device. You also can't roll back an Archos update, so we were stuck.

I don't buy Archos anything anymore. I also make it a point, just like I did with you, to correct Android users when they make blanket statements. After you've been burned, it is only natural that you don't want to see other people burned too. Be careful when you are speaking in generalizations about Android because the fragmentation runs deeper then you think.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/07/2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't buy Archos anything anymore. I also make it a point, just like I did with you, to correct Android users when they make blanket statements. After you've been burned, it is only natural that you don't want to see other people burned too. Be careful when you are speaking in generalizations about Android because the fragmentation runs deeper then you think.
    I didn't read the unedited post so don't know what was stated. Oh, there are some problem phones/skins with Android. The Cliq, Cliq XT, and Motorola Defy were horrible phones, not anything wrong with the hardware but the Motoblur software that was on it. The LG G2x is a bad phone, not because of the hardware but because LG could never get the software working well. What's funny is that all the problems with the G2X are fixed when someone puts CM7 on it. The manufacturers tinker with it so much that they sometimes just ruin the phone. The HTC HD2 is the same in this regard, even though it's the fault of Windows 6.5 on that one.

I was burned with Motorola with flip phones having software issues and would never buy another one of their phones and they continue their problems with Android phones. I didn't speak of tablet fragmentation because Android tablets were just thrown out there to try to catch some of the Ipad hype until the most recent ones have come out. The phones aren't near as bad with fragmentation, except for Motorola.
    ADW Ex is 10 cents in the market today, for anyone who wanted to give it a go on their TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    ADW Ex is 10 cents in the market today, for anyone who wanted to give it a go on their TP.
    I got it. If I apply ADW and chose to make it the default, how do I change back to the other one?

Can someone help explain why there are two of the same apps for some of them. For example, Tetris is 0.10 today but there are two versions. (I bought both Reckless Racings yesterday, but neither of them work) I was just going to buy both Tetris games, but I don't understand why there is two. Apple and webOS don't have two.

Since there is a reason there are two which one am I supposed to get? Will it make a difference when CM9 is relased?

*Mods

I know this is not an android forum, but can we please just have one tiny section that we can post any type of questions and comments in? Specifically I am talking about the post I just submitted, where I discuss apps and which ones would work with the TP. I am using webOS 90% of the time, but I put android on the TP because I have never used it before and figured why not. I love this forum and the members here are much more knowledgeable regarding anything and everything that encompasses the TP.
    To change launchers, you can do it two ways 1) Download an app that does it for you, or 2) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, scroll down to the launcher you are currently using, choose it and then choose "Clear defaults." Next time you press the home button, it will ask you which launcher you want to use.

As for there being two versions, you normally would not see both of them if you were browsing the market from your Android device, since one would be hidden due to it not being compatible. Because you're viewing on a computer, it doesn't have that filter and you'll see both, but the site will scan your list of devices and tell you if it's not compatible before you try to purchase.

And if the app works in CM7, chances are it will work in CM9. I've yet to have an app that does not work in Honeycomb on my Transformer, though I'm sure there are some out there.
    Thanks. I guess I was not signed in when I was looking at them. Once I did, it did show one was incompatiable. I will try that one. Feel kinda dumb.

Thanks for your help.

I am not able to play any of the Reckless games. I bought both versions yesterday, and the one from today. Neither will open after the splash screen. Is this common when using a CM version?
    Can't say for sure, but it might have something to do with CM7 on the Touchpad still being in alpha -- some things just won't work just yet.
    Hopefully that is it. I was thinking that maybe it was trying to install in a folder or something that does not exist on my TP. but would on an Android device. I think for a split second it said something like "SD Card".

This is why I love the 0.10 apps. I can get all of them for $1.00 and if some don't work, it is not a big deal. On the other side, I probably will not buy others since it is hit or miss if they work or not.
    There is a 15 minute window where you can get a refund, so if you install it and determine it does not work, just immediately go back to the market and get a refund. It used to be 24 hours, but I guess devs got a little upset about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    There is a 15 minute window where you can get a refund, so if you install it and determine it does not work, just immediately go back to the market and get a refund. It used to be 24 hours, but I guess devs got a little upset about that.
    I may do that if I purchase something that costs a few dollars. Tetris does not work by the way. "This application is not authorized for use on your android device" I guess I won't mess with a refund for .10. I wonder if I should try the version that said it was not compatible...

Do you know if it is 15 minutes from when I download or open the app? I have been using the pc to purchase apps and it installs automatically on the TP. Normally I don't go look at the apps for a while, since I am at work.

**Edit**
    After getting the error message 4-5 times when trying to open Tetris. This last time it opened and played. Strange...
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 12/08/2011 at 03:44 PM.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

I think Android users need to be careful when discussing the OS with others. Their experiences only count for the device and/or the ROM that they are using. They can't speak for Android as a whole, which almost all Android users here try to do. You are misleading people and you don't even know it. That is directly due to the fragmentation of the ecosystem.
    After today's news, you could making the following post in less than two years:

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever

I think WebOS users need to be careful when discussing the OS with others. Their experiences only count for the device and/or the ROM that they are using. They can't speak for WebOS as a whole, which almost all WebOS users here try to do. You are misleading people and you don't even know it. That is directly due to the fragmentation of the ecosystem.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567