Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 131
Like Tree39Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    LauncherPro looks nice. I might give it a try again (I think I bought it also). I set 10x10 on ADW Launcher EX and it cuts off some of the icons.
    It's my favorite launcher, but sadly it appears that updates for it have stopped. But it still has the best widgets and best options, IMO. The Gmail widget is broken now due to API changes in 2.3.x and 3.x, but otherwise, it works great. I use it over the Honeycomb launcher because, while it is pretty, the HC launcher wastes an entire column on the left and right for a useless transition effect, so you have less room on your home screens.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Speaking of making it more attrative - todays apps include:

    Beautiful Widgets
    Fruit Ninja
    Reckless Racing
    Star Chart
    Read It Later Pro
    Christmas HD
    AirSync by doubleTwist
    Flick Golf!
    How'd you find this? My ad said the same games today... But when I searched on your listed items, they DID show for a dime.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    For Netflix, the PC program you're thinking of PlayOn, which I have, but is not the same at all as having a native app.
    Why do people think every website (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc.) needs it's own app? I can understand maybe on phones, but on tablets just go to the website. The actual websites generally work better than any app they build for it anyway.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

    cobrakon likes this.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Speaking of making it more attrative - todays apps include:
    Christmas HD
    That wallpaper is great Also BW and Fruit Ninja are must-haves. Loving this promotion.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Why do people think every website (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc.) needs it's own app? I can understand maybe on phones, but on tablets just go to the website.
    A well-built app is optimized for the device it is on and makes it easier to navigate and sometimes integrates with the OS to provide notifications (FB and Twitter come to mind). The full Facebook website is buggy on a phone/tablet, and the mobile FB website looks weird on a tablet. The Netflix app is necessary, as is the Hulu+ app.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Why do people think every website (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc.) needs it's own app? I can understand maybe on phones, but on tablets just go to the website. The actual websites generally work better than any app they build for it anyway.
    Yeah? Go to Netflix on your Touchpad once, real quick, without running a system hack.

    I'll wait.

    Then we can have this conversation again. Looking forward to it, LOL

    (PS, besides that, it's almost universally FASTER - Facebook is a great example of that, with the exception of the WebOS app, which is super slow now for some reason)
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Why do people think every website (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc.) needs it's own app? I can understand maybe on phones, but on tablets just go to the website. The actual websites generally work better than any app they build for it anyway.
    I don't understand that mentality either. Most folks like me want their $500 device to do what their other $500 devices (PC/Laptop) do. That is browse the whole Internet. However, their is a large and vocal set of folks who are comfortable with a $500 device that can't even view a simple website without the web master recoding part of it for the device; who cheered the death of a popular plugin because it did not conform to the dogma of their recently deceased leader.

    NetFlix is a different issue. NetFlix uses the Silverlight plugin, which is not available for mobile devices or desktop Linux. The only way you are going to get NetFlix directly without Silverlight is with a dedicated app.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't understand that mentality either. Most folks like me want their $500 device to do what their other $500 devices (PC/Laptop) do. That is browse the whole Internet.
    Some things that look great on a 22" monitor don't look so hot on a 10" screen, hence the need for an app optimized for smaller devices.

    Besides, with the Fire, tablets can now be considered $200 devices
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't understand that mentality either...
    What I can’t understand the mentality of would be people using an example like Netflix, where you can’t run it in your regular browser and need a dedicated app to do it, to argue that people shouldn’t want dedicated apps when they can just use the website.

    You guys are making an argument for the sake of arguing. The first quote was basically stating that using the native Netflix app is completely different than having to dink with play on to route it through a separate PC. Yet you then compare it to talk of twitter and facebook.

    And you guys wonder why people think you over-react.

    That said, when I have 10 minutes in the morning to read some news, the dedicated NYTimes and CNN/Money readers are *much* nicer than parsing the respective websites.

    -Suntan
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Speaking of making it more attrative - todays apps include:

    Beautiful Widgets
    Fruit Ninja
    Reckless Racing
    Star Chart
    Read It Later Pro
    Christmas HD
    AirSync by doubleTwist
    Flick Golf!
    Got all of them. Hopefully all the ones that do not work from this promotion will when CM9 is released....

    Well, Reckelss Racing says "Download failed. An unknown error has occureed. Make sure that your interenet connection is fully working!"

    I deleted it and redownloaded but got the same error.
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 12/07/2011 at 11:28 AM.
  11. #111  
    Reckless Racing seems to be stuck for me too.

    Oh wait, there it goes...let's see if the second part of the download works.

    yup, the second half is completely stalled.
  12. #112  
    Did anyone try NFL Rivals? I see they updated the link with all of the new apps for today.

    Bummer about Reckless, I am bummed about Asphalt 6 too.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    A well-built app is optimized for the device it is on and makes it easier to navigate and sometimes integrates with the OS to provide notifications (FB and Twitter come to mind). The full Facebook website is buggy on a phone/tablet, and the mobile FB website looks weird on a tablet. The Netflix app is necessary, as is the Hulu+ app.
    Why not just have the website recognize the kind of mobile device it's on and then it conform to the device. So if you go to Facebook and it recognizes that you are using a TouchPad and optimizes itself for better use. The website should also be able to send instructions to the device, like don't stop playing music if the screen is turned off, and notifications.
  14. #114  
    Ok well I have never used Netflix so I did not know about the Silverlight issue and I can see how an app is required, However I do use Facebook on my TP regularly with ZERO problems. I see absolutely no need for a FB app for the TP. We have a Youtube "app" but all it does is launch the main website in the browser. Many other "apps" I have seen, even on Android are nothing more than shells or wrappers for the website anyway.

    One way to try and gain support for certain companies like Netflix to make apps for the TP is to cancel your account and in the exit survey tell them lack of webOS support caused you to cancel. If enough people do that they will support it to regain the business. Of course it probably still will not work in the case of webOS if Meg comes out in the next few days and declares webOS dead.

    Then again is Meg decides to jump back into webOS with both feet and pushes it hard, we may see a surge of new apps.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  15. #115  
    Guys.. if you wish to discuss Android apps only, please use our sister site: AndroidCentral.com. Thanks!
    cobrakon likes this.
  16. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't understand that mentality either.
    OK tell me which one is easier, using the precentral app or going to precentral.com to browse the forums and articles. It's a rhetorical question or at least it should be.
  17. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Fragmentation goes to the entire ecosystem, hardware and software. You also just acknowledge that not all Android devices can be rooted and, instead of acknowledging that you simply can't "un-root" all Android devices like the Archos ones, you question who buys them. Wow. Ok then.
    Seriously, if you can't do basic research before buying a phone then fragmentation would probably not affect you anyways. There are people out there running Android 2.1 on their Samsung Vibrant, not having a clue that there are updates to the newer OS and guess what, they don't care unless you tell them. This is where ignorance is bliss. If you do enough research to know about fragmentation then you can do enough research to find out which phones can be rooted, which LG, Samsung, and HTC can and some Motorolas can't. Even then, what big difference would a regular person notice going from 2.2 to 2.3? It's a little more optimized but I don't know of any apps that don't run on one but not on the other.

    Archos doesn't even make the top 10 of Android tablets. So when you have so many other better options then who would buy an Archos? I've never even seen one in a store.

    13 best Android tablets in the world | News | TechRadar
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Guys.. if you wish to discuss Android apps only, please use our sister site: AndroidCentral.com. Thanks!
    Aww..but, I don't like that site, and I would have to create a new account to comment there and see the entire posts. Also it takes forever to load for me while a work.

    I understand though...
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 12/07/2011 at 03:08 PM.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    What I can’t understand the mentality of would be people using an example like Netflix, where you can’t run it in your regular browser and need a dedicated app to do it, to argue that people shouldn’t want dedicated apps when they can just use the website.

    You guys are making an argument for the sake of arguing. The first quote was basically stating that using the native Netflix app is completely different than having to dink with play on to route it through a separate PC. Yet you then compare it to talk of twitter and facebook.

    And you guys wonder why people think you over-react.

    That said, when I have 10 minutes in the morning to read some news, the dedicated NYTimes and CNN/Money readers are *much* nicer than parsing the respective websites.

    -Suntan
    Did you read the second paragraph of my post? It covers NetFlix and, for the record, I would jump at the chance to run NetFlix in my tablet's browser if it was possible.

    When some of these tablets were advertised, they were advertised as Internet portals. Can't really be an Internet portal if it doesn't really view the actual Internet.

    The only "Internet" apps that I like and have respect for are the ones that pull common data from different websites, like Pulse Reader and Video Flood. I don't see a need for an app to view a single website (like Pandora, NetFlix, VUDU, Bank of America, etc). I believe the extra functionality should be built into the website so there is no need to recode it for each device/OS.

    For an example go to the Crackle website (Crackle - Watch Movies Online, Free TV Shows, & Original Online Series). You can view and play movies from that website on your tablet with no issues. No need to sit around and fume because the owners of Crackle didn't make a Crackle app for device/OS _.
    cobrakon likes this.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Seriously, if you can't do basic research before buying a phone then fragmentation would probably not affect you anyways. There are people out there running Android 2.1 on their Samsung Vibrant, not having a clue that there are updates to the newer OS and guess what, they don't care unless you tell them. This is where ignorance is bliss. If you do enough research to know about fragmentation then you can do enough research to find out which phones can be rooted, which LG, Samsung, and HTC can and some Motorolas can't. Even then, what big difference would a regular person notice going from 2.2 to 2.3? It's a little more optimized but I don't know of any apps that don't run on one but not on the other.

    Archos doesn't even make the top 10 of Android tablets. So when you have so many other better options then who would buy an Archos? I've never even seen one in a store.

    13 best Android tablets in the world | News | TechRadar

    When you go in a forum to ask advice and everyone tells you that there is no problems with Android and that all Android devices can do xxx (even though they are talking out of their rear ends), you get the sense that you have done some research. You get hit with so many platitudes about how good Android is that you start to believe that everything associate with Android is good.

    At the time that I bought my Archos tablet, it was the only Android tablet with a 250GB hard drive. It was also the only Android tablet that did not require a new contract with a cell phone provider. It was a new device and the previews from Android apologist (can't really call them reviewers) were good. The only issue was that it had only 256MB of RAM, but since most Android apps did not use even close to that much memory, it was not an issue (some phones still had 128MB of RAM).

    I heard comments about how easy it was to root Android. How you could put it back if needed and the wonders of rooting the device. Even read a few articles about it on the Intertubes. So I get my new device and low and behold it is not all that it was talked up to be. To be honest, it was really Android that was not all that it was talked up to be. Then a few months into owning it, the folks at Archos decide to kill the only way to temporarily root the device. This was around the same time that Android 2.2 came out and started to wreak havoc on low memory devices with agressive memory management, requiring rooting to fix.

    <<edited by staff>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/07/2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Rude
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions