Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Does anyone know how to easily move the "dock bar" (if that is what it is called) from the right side of the TP to the bottom when in landscape view? Or even better, set it to auto rotate?
    Not that I know of. ADW is not really meant to be a tablet launcher -- in Honeycomb, there is no longer a dock, so that issue doesn't arise. You can have the dock hide until you swipe up from the bottom (or side, depending on orientation) to show it if it bothers you.

I believe ADW Ex is more tablet-friendly, allowing you to place a dock that spans the length of the screen in landscape. Also, not sure if ADW does this by default, but be sure to change the number of columns and rows available on your homescreen, otherwise you're wasting screen real estate.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Your right about the WP7 crowd. There forum is an echo of this one, but without all the doom and gloom, waiting on HP to drop a load or get off the pot.
    My biggest bugbear with that forum is the same as this one, people are simply not critically enough - if you start a thread over there saying "why doesn't it do x?" or "I want function Y", you are leaped upon by apologists who tell you that nobody wants that functionality and you should simply be happy with what it does now.

That's why I'm always a user and try never to be a fan.
    Thanks for the help.

I installed Go Launcher EX and it was somewhat confusing. I may try it again. But the default one works fine, just wish that dock would rotate. I actually like the dock for a place to keep highly used apps.

I really just want one home page (I removed all the pages to the left and right) with a clock and weather and a few apps. I would like to have highly used apps on the dock, and the button to open the window to see all of my other apps. Maybe I am trying to make it similar to webOS, although I have only been a webOS user for about 2 months.

Also, does anyone know if there is a setting to get my app icons to be able to be placed closer together on the main screen?
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 12/06/2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    What's a webOs user to do?
    2 choices:

1) Complain

2) Adapt

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    You can customize the *%# out of Android if you like. You can change the icons using a free app called Desktop Visualizer and download icons from here:

[Collection] ICON SETS | Over *700* different Icon Packs [INDEX on 2nd post] - xda-developers

Want to see thousands of really cool custom screens? This forum is for people to show off what they done with their home screens and how they did it.

Post your Phone Home Screen **BE APPROPRIATE** - xda-developers

On the fragmentation end, it's really getting blown out of proportion here. Were dealing with Android on one tablet and even on phones you can always root and put a custom ROM on it. Yes it voids the warranty but I can always revert back to stock if I have to send it in. If you don't want to root then buy a Nexus phone and then you don't have to worry about updates coming late.
    Also, does anyone know if there is a setting to get my app icons to be able to be placed closer together on the main screen?
    Try this link, it should show you how to change the columns and rows. I set it to 10x10 on my Transformer (I use LauncherPro though).

You might look into LauncherPro -- the paid version has some nice widgets for bookmarks, Facebook, email, contacts, and a calendar/agenda widget, plus it lets you resize any widget. You can also set it to only have one homescreen if you like.

Also, look into Apps Organizer -- it's a free app that lets you create applications groups with a custom icon, and you can drop those icons into your dock (see the screenshot of my homescreen -- if you tap, say, the Game icon, a window pops up with all my games).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 12/06/2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Whatever you can say about app support, access to an ecosystem and all of those things (and I've made all of those arguments) - CM7 sure is ugly on a tablet.
    I think it looks pretty nice. The snow is animated on the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Try this link, it should show you how to change the columns and rows. I set it to 10x10 on my Transformer (I use LauncherPro though).

You might look into LauncherPro -- the paid version has some nice widgets for bookmarks, Facebook, email, contacts, and a calendar/agenda widget, plus it lets you resize any widget. You can also set it to only have one homescreen if you like.

Also, look into Apps Organizer -- it's a free app that lets you create applications groups with a custom icon, and you can drop those icons into your dock (see the screenshot of my homescreen -- if you tap, say, the Game icon, a window pops up with all my games).
    That's really cool. I like it. I will play around with it a bit more and see what I can do. Although, I may not do too much more right now, as I see CM9 might be getting close. I don't want to waste too much time customizing this version only to replace it and lose everything in a month or so.

I do like the dolphin browser a lot. I know it is silly, but I think it is cool that I can gesture on it.
    My biggest bugbear with that forum is the same as this one, people are simply not critically enough - if you start a thread over there saying "why doesn't it do x?" or "I want function Y", you are leaped upon by apologists who tell you that nobody wants that functionality and you should simply be happy with what it does now.

I think you get that anywhere. You certainly get it in the android forums too. Fact is, that's a broad generalization, and there are plenty of us here that have been with webOS from the start that have frequently been critical about missing features & functions. There are apologists everywhere, it's not unique to webOS or WP7 forums. That's absurd.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3

There are always the "fan boys" who will defend their favorite product to the death with no regard for either the flaws of the product or the concerns of anyone else.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Thanks for the help.

I installed Go Launcher EX and it was somewhat confusing. I may try it again. But the default one works fine, just wish that dock would rotate. I actually like the dock for a place to keep highly used apps.

I really just want one home page (I removed all the pages to the left and right) with a clock and weather and a few apps. I would like to have highly used apps on the dock, and the button to open the window to see all of my other apps. Maybe I am trying to make it similar to webOS, although I have only been a webOS user for about 2 months.

I spent two days coming up with stuff to put on the default 5 screens that ADW Launcher EX gives you. I should have did like you and deleted 4 of the screens. That number of screens is useful for phones but useless on a tablet. ADW Launcher EX is more tablet friendly so it puts the dock on the bottom by default. The free version of ADW Launcher that comes with CM7 is geared more towards a phone (just like everything else in Android) so it puts the dock on the side, which, based on the orientation, would be the bottom of the phone. They also put an annoying phone icon on the dock by default (like you are going to call someone from a device that doesn't even have 3G).

BTW, if you do get the paid version of ADW there is an annoying bug in the dock that I discuss in my thread. I might boot back into Android sometime this week and play around but right now I'm enjoying the comfort of webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    On the fragmentation end, it's really getting blown out of proportion here...Yes it voids the warranty but I can always revert back to stock if I have to send it in.
    I think Android users need to be careful when discussing the OS with others. Their experiences only count for the device and/or the ROM that they are using. They can't speak for Android as a whole, which almost all Android users here try to do. You are misleading people and you don't even know it. That is directly due to the fragmentation of the ecosystem.

I keep your other sentence in there to prove this point. There are several Android devices that leave markers on the device that let the manufacture know that you rooted the device. So if you root it, it is permanent. Archos generation 8 tablets are an example. They cannot be temporarily rooted anymore (via Archangel). The only way to root them is by installing the SDE, which leaves a watermark on the device:

ARCHOS

Please note this statement:

For ARCHOS Generation 8 devices only:
    Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
    Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
    ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
    This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

This doesn't matter for the TouchPad of course. However, you can't simply reinstall the default ROM on all Android devices when it needs to go for repairs and get away with it. Another case of fragmentation and why it matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

LauncherPro looks nice. I might give it a try again (I think I bought it also). I set 10x10 on ADW Launcher EX and it cuts off some of the icons.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer, Video Flood HD, Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer/can't remember the name of the PC program to forward Netflix via DLNA, Video Flood HD, Video Flood HD, not sure what you want to do with UStream, Just Draw, which game system would you like to emulate? seem to recall there being one for just about everything .. or maybe that's just in the phone catalog
    not only just draw but doodlepad and photo point pro and nuttypad is coming along in beta

homebrew apo home control lets you remote control a number of devices from one app, is in beta testing now and should be out soon

crackle playing for me now on another card in the browser, stepped away to open splashtop in a card and pause itunes and then finish this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    There are always the "fan boys" who will defend their favorite product to the death with no regard for either the flaws of the product or the concerns of anyone else.
    Should kinda be expected on a fan site, right?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think Android users need to be careful when discussing the OS with others. Their experiences only count for the device and/or the ROM that they are using. They can't speak for Android as a whole, which almost all Android users here try to do. You are misleading people and you don't even know it. That is directly due to the fragmentation of the ecosystem.

I keep your other sentence in there to prove this point. There are several Android devices that leave markers on the device that let the manufacture know that you rooted the device. So if you root it, it is permanent. Archos generation 8 tablets are an example. They cannot be temporarily rooted anymore (via Archangel). The only way to root them is by installing the SDE, which leaves a watermark on the device:

ARCHOS

Please note this statement:

For ARCHOS Generation 8 devices only:
    Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
    Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
    ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
    This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

This doesn't matter for the TouchPad of course. However, you can't simply reinstall the default ROM on all Android devices when it needs to go for repairs and get away with it. Another case of fragmentation and why it matters.
    Who buys Archos Tablets? The only phones with locked boot loaders anymore are Motorola. There isn't a phone that can be rooted, have CM7, and not be able to revert back to stock by flashing the stock ROM, which most phones can run CM7. Want to keep away from fragmentation? Buy a Nexus phone or root your phone and put on a custom ROM. The only other fragmentation you have to worry about then is games designed for particular chipsets, and that's fragmentation of hardware, not Android.

Like I said, blown out of proportion. Is there fragmentation, yeah, but not near the extent your making it out to be. If you buy non-Nexus phones and don't root then you have fragmentation problems, but then you can say that WebOS has a major speed problem because you have to tweek and patch it to run as fast as other OS devices.
    Who buys Archos Tablets? The only phones with locked boot loaders anymore are Motorola. There isn't a phone that can be rooted, have CM7, and not be able to revert back to stock by flashing the stock ROM, which most phones can run CM7. Want to keep away from fragmentation? Buy a Nexus phone or root your phone and put on a custom ROM. The only other fragmentation you have to worry about then is games designed for particular chipsets, and that's fragmentation of hardware, not Android.

Like I said, blown out of proportion. Is there fragmentation, yeah, but not near the extent your making it out to be. If you buy non-Nexus phones and don't root then you have fragmentation problems, but then you can say that WebOS has a major speed problem because you have to tweek and patch it to run as fast as other OS devices.
    Fragmentation goes to the entire ecosystem, hardware and software. You also just acknowledge that not all Android devices can be rooted and, instead of acknowledging that you simply can't "un-root" all Android devices like the Archos ones, you question who buys them. Wow. Ok then.

To a level headed person or one who doesn't know enough about Android devices, this stuff is confusing. There are no disclaimers on any of these devices that list what they can and cannot do. When you buy an Android device you are expecting it to do the same and run the same as all other Android devices, no matter who its from. We all know that is not true.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Should kinda be expected on a fan site, right?

It is - however, it's a bit problematically for users - who are generally made to fell uncomfortable or as if they have dropped their trousers at a kid's birthday party.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Speaking of making it more attrative - todays apps include:

Beautiful Widgets
    Fruit Ninja
    Reckless Racing
    Star Chart
    Read It Later Pro
    Christmas HD
    AirSync by doubleTwist
    Flick Golf!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer, Video Flood HD, Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer/can't remember the name of the PC program to forward Netflix via DLNA, Video Flood HD, Video Flood HD, not sure what you want to do with UStream, Just Draw, which game system would you like to emulate? seem to recall there being one for just about everything .. or maybe that's just in the phone catalog
    Hey, I just want to preface this by stating that I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying. I understand you're trying to find roundabout ways to work around the weaknesses of the platform, but this post isn't helpful to me - it's not as if I'm ignorant of the offerings within WebOS. We all dual boot, and I have a bunch of reasons why I'm spending more time in Android.

SplashTop isn't the same at all as Remote Potato. One taps into Media Center, the other streams the entire desktop. I have SpashTop on iOS, Android, and WebOS- it's great, but not at ALL the functionality I'm talking about. Further, BHome allows you to stream, but has nothing to do with scheduling, etc.

For Netflix, the PC program you're thinking of PlayOn, which I have, but is not the same at all as having a native app. With Splashtop and BHome pointed at either PlayOn or TVersity, I'm using the resources of a PC. This renders that PC less usable / not usable (for games, for instance - transcoding is expensive). And really, is it the community's expectation that someone that to watch Netflix, you should free up a computer, set up that computer, find out about the software most people don't know about, buy a license (monthly, BTW) for PlayOn, configure their firewall, etc etc? No, of course not. We're advanced users, but that still seems like a lot of going out of my way, when I could just (without harm to WebOS), take 30 seconds and reboot into Android.

UStream is live streams that users create. The app allows you to browse, prioritize etc

There most certainly is not an emulator for everything. And the emulators available are generally terrible. Can't customize the controls, can't switch folders, can't get new ROMs from within the apps, don't run at full speed, etc etc. And yes, they're locked to phone size for the most part, or worse, stretched.

Here's the thing - when WebOS has a native offering, it's generally better. But generally, they don't have the offering.

I'm pleased with Android, and that's not a slight to WebOS.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast