Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    The Kindle app may look better, because CM7 is a phone OS, but the CM7 version has a lot more capabilities than the WebOS version has. Amazon abandoned the Kindle app for WebOS and now they won't even admit that they even have the app on it.
    I agree that the Android version has more features. The webOS app is still beta and I think Amazon is in a holding pattern right now waiting on HPs decision on the OS. Even though it lacks some features it is simply amazing at the amount of detail that this app has on webOS.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    In theory, the difference between a tablet and phone app should start to disappear with ICS because of fragments, however we will have to see how and when developers take advantage of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    I really like k4ever's screen shots- really good set of comparison shots. The "desktop apps" - like reading apps are better on WebOS, but games and Video apps are better on Android in my experience.

Thanks for taking those. BTW, I use the ThumbKeyboard 4.

The Kindle app screenshots are exactly what I was talking about earlier - webOS Kindle just kills it, makes the Android app look shoddy.

Here's a couple of (cell phone shots) pix of ShadowGun on Android.

EDIT: I should really have taken screen grabs, these shots don't do it justice.

I think it'd be interesting to compare QuickOffice on both (have it on both), too.
    That game looks awesome! Will it run on CM7 on the TouchPad? I have to ask because another problem that you run into with Android is that some high end games are exclusive to one chipset (nVidia) or manufacturer. BTW, I use Documents to Go on Android (bought it over a year ago for $15) and Picsel Smart Office ($10) on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I am still trying to figure out android but the home screen and dock look great. I would love instructions on how to get mine to look like that.
    Its going to cost you. I using the paid version of ADW Launcher (called EX) as my home screen launcher. I had to buy the Root File Manager to remove the old home screen launcher. I'm using the free Jump Gate animated wallpaper. The clock is from the paid version of Beautiful Widgets, but you can find a similar one for free. Head over to my thread on Android Central (link to it is on one of my posts in this thread). I talk about some of the apps there. Contrary to what the folks here believe I HAVE been using Android for a long time now and have a few tweaks up my sleeve. I've just never been impressed with it on a tablet or on a phone (but I love the hardware).
    I just want to speak to something that non-Android users need to know about Android and that some Android user don't know or won't admit. Android is fragmented and the fragmentation is frustrating. What that means is that each hardware manufacturer takes the source code for Android and essentially builds their own special flavor of Android and/or skins the heck out of the GUI. When a new version of Android comes out you have to wait on that hardware manufacturer to update the version you have on your device. Most of them won't because they want you to buy a new device. They even lock down your device so you can't make changes to it yourself with out voiding your warranty. The bottom line to this, and you can even see it in this thread, is that two Android users using different devices have completely different experiences with Android.

Most Android users don't know that the manufacturer specific programs that they run on their Android device is not available to everyone else. Even some high end games are exclusive to one hardware manufacture and not to all of them. Heck, until about 2 months ago NetFlix wouldn't run on all Android devices unless you hacked it.

So you show your friend your new Android device. He likes it and decides to go to the store to buy an Android device. He finds one in his price range but when he gets it home he finds out that it doesn't look as good as yours (GUI wise). As he continues to use it he finds out that it doesn't run all the same programs as yours. He finally gets frustrated and takes it back.

I used to hack Android on to other devices (ran it on my ATT Tilt for a while). The reason why I stopped using Android is I bought a fairly expensive dedicated Android device (paid $350) with a good processor and an excellent GPU (it was lacking in memory though) only to find out that the games and applications I thought I could run wouldn't run on it. I was 3000 miles away from home and stuck there for several months when I realized this, so it would have been a hassle to send it back.

iOS and webOS users don't have to go through all this. If your friend has an iPad2 and you like it, you can go buy an iPad2 and get the same experience. If your friend has a TouchPad (running webOS) and you like it and you can find one, you will also have the same experience. Even support is better because everyone is using the same device and the same version of the OS. You don't have that with Android. It is the wild west and you better be quick on the draw because you are on your own. So take what anyone tells you about Android with a grain of salt.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    iOS and webOS users don't have to go through all this.
    Which is why WP7 is the happy medium and everyone should rush out today and buy one*.

* this advertisement has been bought and paid for by Nokia.

plus everyone can rehash their own arguments about WebOS over at WPcentral but just just search and replace to change WebOS to Wp7.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Its going to cost you. I using the paid version of ADW Launcher (called EX) as my home screen launcher. I had to buy the Root File Manager to remove the old home screen launcher.
    Shouldn't be any need for that file manage app -- if you install a new launcher, it should ask you which one you want as default next time you hit the Home key (and it'll have a check mark to keep it the default). If that doesn't work, you can go into the applications list and under ADW, press the "Clear defaults" button. I don't use CM7 (I use CleanROM for my 3D, basically Sense with bloat removed), but I've always been able to change the launcher that way.
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 12/06/2011 at 09:34 AM.
    That looks good. What about the other apps that I mentioned? Are there tablet versions of them that we just can't see because of 2.3? From my understanding developers haven't latched on to Android on a tablet and you are stuck with 10s of thousands of phone apps and less than 300 tablet apps, which are hard to find. I'm waiting on ICS also, but I feel it is going to be a let down.
    Not sure -- I did load up Zinio, which looks like the phone app still, but Amazon looked pretty good, utilizing multiple columns when needed, but not as good as the webOS app, so I'm not sure if it's truly tablet-optimized. It'll get there if/when these tablets start selling, and especially if the Fire is upgraded to ICS by Amazon (slim chance, but you never know).

Tablet apps should be hidden from any non-3.x/4.x device if the developer used the max API flag, which apparently tells the market to hide the app for a lesser version of the OS. But the number of tablet apps still just numbers in the 100s, I can't gloss over that.
    That game looks awesome! Will it run on CM7 on the TouchPad? I have to ask because another problem that you run into with Android is that some high end games are exclusive to one chipset (nVidia) or manufacturer. BTW, I use Documents to Go on Android (bought it over a year ago for $15) and Picsel Smart Office ($10) on webOS.
    Yeah, you bet. Riptide HD and ShadowGun both work, and in Riptide, you can crank the graphics all the way up to their max settings.

ShadowGun has a few issues if you run other 3D/graphics intensive apps before it, but runs great on a fresh boot. My understanding is that the issues are there in the game, rather than as a result of CM7. Riptide HD seems to run great no matter what I do on the tablet first - and graphically, they're about on par, which reinforces my notion that the game's implementation is imperfect.

Since I'm running QuickOffice on both, I'll have a look.

The screenshots / comparisons that are also worth performing:
    1. Dolphin HD versus WebOS browser. (Dolphin is way better, IMO)
    2. Splashtop - in my opinion, it's a wash, but it seems a bit easier to use in WebOS.
    3. Media playback in MoboPlayer versus anything in WebOS (example, Xvid with Surround Sound - MoboPlayer is almost better than PC, LOL)
    4. Pandora vs Pandora (small screen vs stretched screen, I prefer Android here)
    5. Epicurious vs Epicurious (WebOS just rocks against Android)
    6. Nook and Aldiko - Hell, Aldiko looks better than Kindle on Android, let alone Nook.
    7. Google Maps vs that Bing stuff on WebOS (pros and cons of both)
    8. Basic text editing (haven't found anything worthwhile on EITHER, especially for syntax highlighting)
    9. File management, compression management (WebOS falls down pretty bad here, even with homebrew)

There are just a ton of things not available on WebOS -
    Remote Potato (remotely watch your recorded TV from Media Center, etc), Crackle, Netflix, TV.Com, AlJazeera, UStream, drawing / art programs (something as simple as Drawing Pad, today's free app from Amazon), game system emulation, a ton of games (obviously), etc etc etc

I really like this idea of doing a detailed comparison, especially when your audience might be potential developers, and to maybe minimize the flamebait stuff. Each of these OSes has their merits!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Shouldn't be any need for that file manage app -- if you install a new launcher, it should ask you which one you want as default next time you hit the Home key (and it'll have a check mark to keep it the default). If that doesn't work, you can go into the applications list and under ADW, press the "Clear defaults" button. I don't use CM7 (I use CleanROM for my 3D, basically Sense with bloat removed), but I've always been able to change the launcher that way.
    CM7 uses the free version of ADW which conflicts with the paid version and hard to remove. You need a file manager that is capable of root access to remove the .apk file from the system folder or you are going to run into problems. You can also replace it before installing the ROM but it is a hassle and I already had the ROM installed.

CM7.0.3 -> change ADWlauncher to ADWlauncher EX - xda-developers
    Shouldn't be any need for that file manage app ......I don't use CM7 (I use CleanROM for my 3D, basically Sense with bloat removed), but I've always been able to change the launcher that way.
    This proves the point I made in post #65. We are both probably using Android 2.3 but since were are using different ROMs on different hardware I have a problem that you won't have.
    But the number of tablet apps still just numbers in the 100s, I can't gloss over that.
    This is what irks me. I have been saying for several months now that webOS is far ahead of Android in tablet apps only to be told that I was wrong, Android doesn't need tablet specific apps because the phone apps would scale, or when the issue is pressed further ICS will fix everything. If I put ICS on my TouchPad today, these apps would look exactly the same. You need the developers to get on board and fix these issues. It is sad that the TouchPad on the first day it launched had 5 times more tablet apps than an Android tablet did and right now that number is almost 10 times as much. We all know that looks matter to people as much as content, which is why the iPad is creaming everyone right now for close to twice the price.
    cobrakon likes this.
    CM7 uses the free version of ADW which conflicts with the paid version and hard to remove. You need a file manager that is capable of root access to remove the .apk file from the system folder or you are going to run into problems. You can also replace it before installing the ROM but it is a hassle and I already had the ROM installed.

CM7.0.3 -> change ADWlauncher to ADWlauncher EX - xda-developers
    This is why android confuses the hell out of me, and I am usually pretty decent with these types of things. It took me forever to figure out how to apply a downloaded theme, as there are two places that say to apply it, but one does not work.

It is just not simple to understand. I do not see how the average person could ever understand the operating system. I have an old phone, as I do not want a data plan, so I have no preference but...my mom has an iphone and can easily understand how to use it. There is no way she could ever use android if it is truly this difficult and confusing.
    Remote Potato (remotely watch your recorded TV from Media Center, etc), Crackle, Netflix, TV.Com, AlJazeera, UStream, drawing / art programs (something as simple as Drawing Pad, today's free app from Amazon), game system emulation, a ton of games (obviously), etc etc etc
    Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer, Video Flood HD, Splashtop or BHome/TouchPlayer/can't remember the name of the PC program to forward Netflix via DLNA, Video Flood HD, Video Flood HD, not sure what you want to do with UStream, Just Draw, which game system would you like to emulate? seem to recall there being one for just about everything .. or maybe that's just in the phone catalog
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    This is why android confuses the hell out of me, and I am usually pretty decent with these types of things. It took me forever to figure out how to apply a downloaded theme, as there are two places that say to apply it, but one does not work.

It is just not simple to understand. I do not see how the average person could ever understand the operating system. I have an old phone, as I do not want a data plan, so I have no preference but...my mom has an iphone and can easily understand how to use it. There is no way she could ever use android if it is truly this difficult and confusing.
    It is only difficult if you decide to not use the default settings/apps. The problem is that the default look, feel, settings, and apps are **** ugly. The iPhone/iOS does not allow you to change it's default look and feel, unless you jailbreak it, so your Mom will never have these kind of problems. The TouchPad/webOS will not allow you to change the default look and feel unless you use the home brew stuff and even then you can only go so far, so your Mom would never have these kind of problems if she owned a webOS device either.

Android is insane. Not only can you customize the look and feel, you can pretty much change the whole OS. There are no enforced standards and everyone (hardware makers and ROM developers) pretty much does what they want to do. Can you blame them though? Like I said before the default look, feel, settings, and apps are **** ugly They probably wouldn't be able to sell devices if they did change them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which is why WP7 is the happy medium and everyone should rush out today and buy one*.

* this advertisement has been bought and paid for by Nokia.

plus everyone can rehash their own arguments about WebOS over at WPcentral but just just search and replace to change WebOS to Wp7.
    Your right about the WP7 crowd. There forum is an echo of this one, but without all the doom and gloom, waiting on HP to drop a load or get off the pot.

Anyhow, I tried WP7 and just didn't like it too much. I hate the mango app switching. If I remember correct, it only shows the last 5 opened apps, but they are just screen captures, and add to that, mine would fill up with several messaging "cards".

The more I use other OS's, the more I miss webOS. Currently I'm on an iCrap 4s, but heavily debating swapping to android. Although I keep seeing all this negative stuff about android fragmentation and it doesn't help that every time I navigate through an android phone I want to hurl (both the phone and my lunch).

What's a webOs user to do?
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If people are going to try Android - try it cheap, the market is doing a ten day promotion where every day, 10 apps will be sold for 10 cents (or the local equal), get stuck in:

https://market.android.com/details?i...feature=banner

although it's not the tablet version it's worth buying Swiftkey X (maybe the tablet version will pop up later in the week?) just in case any of you ever do end up with an android phone.

Also in terms of gaming, there is Asphalt 6: Adrenaline HD.
    Last edited by CGK; 12/06/2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Thanks. I got asphalt 6. I didn't realize I had a credit card tied to my account...that seems strange. I have to look into that and see where it is saved.

Does anyone know how to easily move the "dock bar" (if that is what it is called) from the right side of the TP to the bottom when in landscape view? Or even better, set it to auto rotate?
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Bah it says asphalt is incomptable and will not run, oh well I can not be bothered to get a refund for ten pence I will keep it in case anyone fixes it or I get another android phone. However sketchbook pro is very nice and works well.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Yep, Asphalt 6 does not work.

By the way, do you have to have a gmail account to have access to the android store? When I bought Asphalt 6 the charge went through even though I did not realize I had a credit card tied to the Android store. It appears that becuase I pruchased a Google Offer with my yahoo email account, and my yahoo email account is the backup email to my newly (forced) created Gmail account, they were able to charge me.

I really don't want another email account to keep up with. Can I delete my gmail account and use a yahoo email for everything?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast