Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    Well, there's a ton of discussion on RootzWiki. That's where I go.

If this forum's membership was portable, I'd use Android Central. But that little step is all it took me to ditch it. The layout of the site is also super busy.

It doesn't help that this community didn't give "firesalers" a warm welcome. In fact, more than a few of us were told to shove off.
    Most of us tried to give you guys a warm welcome. However we have been overrun by the "anything but webOS" crowd that kind of popped up right after the TouchPad was launched. I guess their goal was to sow so much doubt in webOS that users wouldn't buy the TouchPad. Now we have the Android crew blowing smoke up our behinds about how much better Android is when we all know that it is a last resort for many of us because we are losing support from HP.

Edit: BTW I started a thread on Android Central detailing some of my problems and asking for help:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-...-requests.html
    I installed CM7 last week and I like parts of it but I find it too much and end up coming badk to WebOS. WebOS is so much easier and more elegant to use. I don't have the time to mess around in CM7 that much and I don't really plan to. When ICS comes out I will work more with that but not if it is not as nice as WebOS. I think the guys that did CM7 did a fantastic job with it and it is great for some things but it dos not hold a candle to WebOS. I am happy to have t in case HP totally abandons us but I will use WebOS until I can't anymore. That is why I bought the Touchpad in July. I will stand with it until I can't anymore.

I feel there is less going on on the forum lately because it has gotten to be nasty at times and that is so stupid. If a forum can't support differing opinions then it is no fun to be in it. Too much ego being thrown around and it loses it's charm very quickly. I am in here to learn not fight about what operating system is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    ...There hasn't been to many new apps on webOS and Whitman keeps dancing around with supporting it.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Really? C'mon people, why the FUD? TPad launched with 305 apps and currently has over 1100 with at least 600 of those being released SINCE the death announcement from Leo the dolt. And I'm talking *big name* apps, the leaders on other platforms...

Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Interestingly, I've tried every tablet offering out there since Leo pulled his bone-headed stunt. They're okay, and they get the job done... but I ended up picking up a Touchpad off Ebay and a Pre 3 and have moved right back to WebOS.

Two words... Elegance and simplicity. I want my stuff to just work, and do it with some style. WebOS just has a feel and function that iOS and Android can't capture, IMHO.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Really? C'mon people, why the FUD? TPad launched with 305 apps and currently has over 1100 with at least 600 of those being released SINCE the death announcement from Leo the dolt. And I'm talking *big name* apps, the leaders on other platforms...

Wow buddy, I'm the last person who would spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt about webOS. I'm just stating facts. The app catalog was been barren lately (like in the last few weeks). I accredite this to the FUD about webOS being spread by HP's own board room.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    I'd accredit it to the fact that most of the people that work in corporate were off for the holiday, and many attached their vacations to it as well. That goes for most any corporation, not just HP. And lots of developers as well, I'm sure.

Last catalog update looks like it was on the 2nd, with a dozen or more things popping up. At least we're not the Apple store that uploads 200 crapps every Tuesday or Thursday or whenever they do it. If you actually open up our catalog every day or two maybe three, it's easy to keep up with
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I personally prefer the webOS interface to Android but I can use Droid well enough to make it a viable alternative. The real sticking point that will keep me on webOS is the email and calendaring. I need an email/calendar app that can sync to an Exchange account for mail and calendar as well as an additional pop email account. Keeping them both synced with good reminders/ alerts for both accounts simultaneously and an easy to use interface. I don't think anything like that exists for Droid.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

All,

These screenshot will explain why it is hard for me to switch from webOS to Android. Each are a side by side comparison of what you get with Android and what you get with webOS. I just want to mention a few things up front. I spent the last 2 1/2 days configuring Android to look somewhat decent. I spent 1 hour on webOS (added theme and patched keyboard). The ONLY thing I get with Android is raw apps (apps that are there but don't look good). Keep in mind that even though this is Android 2.3 it doesn't matter. The interface will change slightly, but the apps will look the same as they do now.

The first two pictures show the different desktops (webOS, then Android). The 4th and 5th pictures show the webOS Kindle app. The 6th and 7th show the Android Kindle app. Notice there is no book spine view for the Android app (nor does it have animated pages). I could not capture the screen that shows you Android's running apps to go along with the three running apps I have in card view on webOS for picture 7. Just imagine 6 small icons on a grid in the middle of you screen. That's what you get to show and switch between your running apps in Android. Picture 8 shows the webOS keyboard with the navigation arrows patch. Picture 9 shows the SwiftKey Tablet keyboard (trial version) for Android. The SwiftKey keyboard does split but trust me, the webOS keyboard is far more accurate and easy to use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/05/2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    Here are some more screenshots.

The first one is the default webOS calendar, an app I use a lot. The second is the default Android calendar. I quickly replaced the Android calendar with the Business calendar app, which doesn't look a whole lot better, but at least it is not hideous. The 3rd is the default music player for webOS (TouchPad) and the 4th is Android's default music player. I bought the PowerAmp Music player for Android which looks a whole lot better and has more functions then the webOS music player, but then again I did pay for it. Google Music is also a free player for Android but it is not adding much in the GUI area. The 5th picture is the default webOS email app and the 6th picture is the K9 email app for Android that you have to pay for. The 7th and 8th pictures are the quick settings menu for webOS. It is a drop down menu that is always accessible from the upper right corner of the screen. It takes two actions to turn on and access a new access point. The 9th and 10th pictures are the Android equivalent from CM7. To access a new access point in Android takes about 4 steps (even if you have a widget) 1) turn on wifi from widget 2) go to settings menu 3) access wifi settings 4) select access point.

Edit: I think K9 was free. The tablet version based on K9 is a paid app (doesn't look or act any better).
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/05/2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat54 View Post
    I just put CM7 on my TP last night. Its working fine but it just feels unfinished!

I don't know how else to explain it, I just don't get the interface. Its pretty clunky. WebOS is much prettier in my opinion.
    That's why it's called an "alpha" - it's unfinished and have a few bugs!
    I installed it when Alpha 3 was released and only boot to WebOS once to check if it's still working. I installed it because I need a few good apps - Dolphin web browser, Netflix and a Youtube app. I no longer need Splashtop Desktop to remotely control my Imac just to do those stuff.
    Android have the worst interface for tablets.
    dignitary likes this.
    This is shows the Zinio app for both webOS and Android. The first 3 shots show the webOS app. When you open the Zinio app in webOS you are presented with an explore screen (1st screenshot) that lets you download and view free magazine articles. It presents a slideshow of the articles. You just click on the one that interest you. The 2nd picture is of your Zinio magazine library in webOS. The 3rd picture is Zinio magazine store for webOS. The 4th picture is the default Zinio screen in Android. It just shows your library. There is no explore screen with free magazine articles presented to you, just your magazine library. The 5th and 6th screens show the Zinio magazine store in Android. You are presented with a drop down menu first (5th screenshot). After you select your category of magazine you want to purchase, you are presented with all of the tiny little magazines in that category (6th screenshot). You have to zoom in just to see them. I forgot to take a picture of the page previews in Zinio for both webOS and Android. I'll give you a hint if you haven't already caught on, the webOS version looks better.

These screenshots are why I and many of the other users here chose a webOS tablet over an Android one. These are tablet oriented apps on a tablet (webOS) vs phone oriented apps on a tablet (Android). I won't even show you the Android version of Epicurious Cookbook. It would make you cry. Android has all of the apps right now, but they are nowhere near better than webOS. Unlike the OP it is hard for me to not turn back to webOS. I sure in the hell wish that Whitman would keep webOS and develop it further. There is really no comparison right now until Android developers get off their behinds and start making tablet apps. ICS won't fix that.
    Rnp and cobrakon like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ob1knobe View Post
    That's why it's called an "alpha" - it's unfinished and have a few bugs!
    I installed it when Alpha 3 was released and only boot to WebOS once to check if it's still working. I installed it because I need a few good apps - Dolphin web browser, Netflix and a Youtube app. I no longer need Splashtop Desktop to remotely control my Imac just to do those stuff.
    Android have the worst interface for tablets.
    Fixing the "bugs" is not going to change the way the interface looks. It's just going to make it less crash prone.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    All,

These screenshot will explain why it is hard for me to switch from webOS to Android. Each are a side by side comparison of what you get with Android and what you get with webOS. I just want to mention a few things up front. I spent the last 2 1/2 days configuring Android to look somewhat decent. I spent 1 hour on webOS (added theme and patched keyboard). The ONLY thing I get with Android is raw apps (apps that are there but don't look good). Keep in mind that even though this is Android 2.3 it doesn't matter. The interface will change slightly, but the apps will look the same as they do now.

The first two pictures show the different desktops (webOS, then Android). The 4th and 5th pictures show the webOS Kindle app. The 6th and 7th show the Android Kindle app. Notice there is no book spine view for the Android app (nor does it have animated pages). I could not capture the screen that shows you Android's running apps to go along with the three running apps I have in card view on webOS for picture 7. Just imagine 6 small icons on a grid in the middle of you screen. That's what you get to show and switch between your running apps in Android. Picture 8 shows the webOS keyboard with the navigation arrows patch. Picture 9 shows the SwiftKey Tablet keyboard (trial version) for Android. The SwiftKey keyboard does split but trust me, the webOS keyboard is far more accurate and easy to use
    I am still trying to figure out android but the home screen and dock look great. I would love instructions on how to get mine to look like that.
    That's what happens when you run a phone OS on a tablet. If you are running 2.3 on a tablet, you will never be able to run a tablet-optimized app. If you are running ICS, you will be able to run those apps because the proper APIs are there (please see Google Music on Honeycomb, it is quite nice, I attached some pics to show you the potential is there). The notification area is better, as is the app switcher. If the Touchpad gets ICS, you'll see a huge difference in the Android experience.

Pretty sure if you ran webOS for phones on the Touchpad, you'd have the same experience you're having running 2.3 on it. But by all means, stick with webOS for as long as you can, no one is forcing you to change. There's just no future there, so you might want to start sniffing around other tablet OS's to see which one will suit you later.

(As an aside, the Transformer is now $299 at BestBuy.com if anyone wants the HC experience on an excellent tablet, which will be upgraded to ICS very soon)
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 12/06/2011 at 12:07 AM.
    I really like k4ever's screen shots- really good set of comparison shots. The "desktop apps" - like reading apps are better on WebOS, but games and Video apps are better on Android in my experience.

Thanks for taking those. BTW, I use the ThumbKeyboard 4.

The Kindle app screenshots are exactly what I was talking about earlier - webOS Kindle just kills it, makes the Android app look shoddy.

Here's a couple of (cell phone shots) pix of ShadowGun on Android.

EDIT: I should really have taken screen grabs, these shots don't do it justice.

I think it'd be interesting to compare QuickOffice on both (have it on both), too.
    k4ever likes this.
    wha? The Google Music app that I've seen on my bartender's Galaxy Tab is an -amazing- piece of beautiful UI. Don't know how great it is to -use- but it -looks- fantastic.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I really like k4ever's screen shots- really good set of comparison shots. The "desktop apps" - like reading apps are better on WebOS, but games and Video apps are better on Android in my experience.

It really comes down to the programmers - compare evernote in WebOS to Evernote in CM7, they aren't even on the same planet.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Kindle app screenshots are exactly what I was talking about earlier - webOS Kindle just kills it, makes the Android app look shoddy.
    The Kindle app may look better, because CM7 is a phone OS, but the CM7 version has a lot more capabilities than the WebOS version has. Amazon abandoned the Kindle app for WebOS and now they won't even admit that they even have the app on it.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I love WebOS. I hope it doesn't go away. I installed CM7 but I mainly only use it for Audible for Android, and eReader for Android since I have a ton of those from back in the old PalmOS days. Otherwise, WebOS does everything I need. I've done all the tweeks, so it runs pretty smoothly. And with sub orbital, I'm able to organize my icons. But it is nice being able to dual boot, and it's comforting to think that if WebOS does go away, I can always just boot into CM7. I'm very happy with my TP!
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    That's what happens when you run a phone OS on a tablet. If you are running 2.3 on a tablet, you will never be able to run a tablet-optimized app. If you are running ICS, you will be able to run those apps because the proper APIs are there (please see Google Music on Honeycomb, it is quite nice, I attached some pics to show you the potential is there). The notification area is better, as is the app switcher. If the Touchpad gets ICS, you'll see a huge difference in the Android experience.

Pretty sure if you ran webOS for phones on the Touchpad, you'd have the same experience you're having running 2.3 on it. But by all means, stick with webOS for as long as you can, no one is forcing you to change. There's just no future there, so you might want to start sniffing around other tablet OS's to see which one will suit you later.

(As an aside, the Transformer is now $299 at BestBuy.com if anyone wants the HC experience on an excellent tablet, which will be upgraded to ICS very soon)
    That looks good. What about the other apps that I mentioned? Are there tablet versions of them that we just can't see because of 2.3? From my understanding developers haven't latched on to Android on a tablet and you are stuck with 10s of thousands of phone apps and less than 300 tablet apps, which are hard to find. I'm waiting on ICS also, but I feel it is going to be a let down.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast