Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    more like the novelty factor of something new and shiney.
    Very true. I like both. But both have their drawbacks.
    Another thread about the same thing and on android central (TP section) there is silence.
    CM9 Dual boot or nothing for me. CM7 is a waste of time for the touchpad, and perhaps better left to android phones/tablets that will never see gingerbread on time/at all. Having an android(The infamous Motorola) phone makes me appreciate my touchpad more.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Another thread about the same thing and on android central (TP section) there is silence.
    Because it's a pain going back and forth. I've noticed the traffic around here has slowed down, hardly any in the apps forum.

On a phone, Android reigns supreme for me. I can't live without widgets on my phone, on a tablet it's not really needed....I have my phone for most things. I'm techie so Android is fun to where I can change anything on it, the fonts, check out the Tasker app for customizing, I can change how the notifications work, I run ADW EX for being able to change how the visuals work when changing screens, etc.

The OS itself might seem like a novelty when compared to WebOS on the Touchpad but the apps are definitely not a novelty. Even Amazon has given up on WebOS and won't even admit that Kindle is available on WebOS. They updated all the other OS's but WebOS Kindle app is still dormant.

Widgets, apps, speed, and customization is the reason I feel Android is better on a phone. CM7 just doesn't feel right on a tablet, but ICS should feel just fine.
    Thanks for the friendly reply. But I will not step into this discussion. Everybody can make the decision.
    I worked with xda-developers to make an app like dr.b happen on android.
    Currently it both for me CM7 and WebOS. 100% WebOS is alot easier and more intuative, but once you get all the Widgets, dolphin browser, and active wallpapers etc on CM7 it starts to look a load nicer. Email is so so much easier on WebOS.

I tend towards WebOS then swap over to CM7 when I want some of the driod specific apps, Sonos (after the last update this is great), VM, Tivo, a few games, Crashplan, teamviewer. Then if I'm in CM7 ill stay there until I need something from WebOS mainly email and maps (I like BING).

I like options but I need to commit to a tablet os soon and it's getting worse, Windows may be an option soon.
    If WebOS is not continued it looks like CM9 maybe the way to go. . . And that will be shame, but atleast i'll know where I am.
    This is why for me, WP7 is the best of all worlds (to an extent). I personally love the metro UI. It is very, very organized and their commercials on getting things done fast is the farthest from false advertisement. The tiles act as widgets on Android, but they look nicer and they are way more organized. People say Android's best "quick" factor is widgets, but how so when sometimes you have to swipe three screens to get to the one you want at that moment? The live tiles on one scrolling panel and the apps on one is really a great design. Then the multi tasking ~interface~ gives me a tiny bit of that WebOS craving. Microsoft really created something inovative with WP7 and it's sad that some people don't see it. However, with all the Xbox integration and Windows 8 tablets, I predict WP7 will boom in 2012 and possibly take 2nd place in 2013-2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by 149047 View Post
    hi all!
    i installed the latest android alpha a week ago (How to Install Android on Your HP Touchpad - How-To Geek) and i have not had a single issue eversince. now my TP is an almost fully functioning TP - one i can work with.
    although i still love webos, HP did not leave me another decision
    markus
    You seem to be the only Touchpad user or even Android user on the planet that has not had a single problem with Android. I had 5 crashes and 2 reboots in the first 24 hours. You can sell everyone on Android without the suspectly false enthusiasm.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Whatever you can say about app support, access to an ecosystem and all of those things (and I've made all of those arguments) - CM7 sure is ugly on a tablet.
    I've made mine looked pretty but it cost me money, time, and part of my sanity. Please HP treat webOS right!

I'm perfectly fine with WebOS, but I would switch to Windows 8 in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity to port it to the Touchpad.
    I've played with Android tablets on several occasions, but I just feel that the interface is just a bit rough around the edges and lacks continuity and an interface concept (Everything Microsoft is Metro, WebOS is cards...) in its current form.

So for now, Android isn't my A choice. Windows 8, however...
    Quote Originally Posted by P_Yiddy View Post
    If it wasn't for the large selection of apps I wouldn't use CM7. webOS is far superior than Android 2.3 in almost every other respect.

Not really a fair comparison though as the TP hardware wasn't designed to run Android. I'd imagine 2.3 on an Android phone would slightly less annoying to use. I'm also guessing that Honeycomb and ICS are a big step up in terms of user experience.
    I hate to disappoint you but 2.3 on phones is just as annoying as it is on the Touchpad. The only difference is that you can excuse the crappy apps on a phone and hardware makers skin the hell out it so you can't tell what it is.

As Frederick II of Prussia said 1740: Each to his own.
    mc_wardy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_wardy View Post
    Currently it both for me CM7 and WebOS. 100% WebOS is alot easier and more intuative, but once you get all the Widgets, dolphin browser, and active wallpapers etc on CM7 it starts to look a load nicer. Email is so so much easier on WebOS.

I tend towards WebOS then swap over to CM7 when I want some of the driod specific apps, Sonos (after the last update this is great), VM, Tivo, a few games, Crashplan, teamviewer. Then if I'm in CM7 ill stay there until I need something from WebOS mainly email and maps (I like BING).

I like options but I need to commit to a tablet os soon and it's getting worse, Windows may be an option soon.
    If WebOS is not continued it looks like CM9 maybe the way to go. . . And that will be shame, but atleast i'll know where I am.
    I'm with you on that, except for Windows being an option. There hasn't been to many new apps on webOS and Whitman keeps dancing around with supporting it. CM7 is the only option right now, other than buying new hardware. I've got ADW Launcher EX installed along with a few other replacements for Google's hideous apps and it is almost presentable. I figure if Whitman pulls the cord this will be the last HP tablet I will ever have so I might as well make the best of it.

I installed android yesterday on the TP and so far I have not had any issues. Probably because I don't really do anything heavy on it. This is my first experience with Android and it was and still is somewhat confusing. The TP was my first webOS device and I think it is very user friendly. I will use that probably 90% of the time, as I don't watch movies or shows on the TP.

I have had no crashes or reboots or wifi issues over the past 24 hours with android, as I am trying to learn it. I was not going to put it on, and I am no techie, but thought it would be fun to play with it. I don't like all of the options/settings though, as many I do not understand. It does not seem like android is something that anyone can pick up and understand easily.

I also had to create a Google account, which I did not want. I wish they would not force you to create a Gmail email account to use the app store. I downloaded Amazon’s store too though.

Are there any settings I should turn on/off or change?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You seem to be the only Touchpad user or even Android user on the planet that has not had a single problem with Android. I had 5 crashes and 2 reboots in the first 24 hours. You can sell everyone on Android without the suspectly false enthusiasm.

I don't know about that. I haven't had crashes or problems with alpha 3, sleep, touchpad, wifi, and 1.7GHz overclock all work. The only real crash I get is facebook if I forget to fake my GPS and that's an easy solution. It still is rough compared to webOS, but like I said before, I like different aspects of each.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Well, there's a ton of discussion on RootzWiki. That's where I go.

If this forum's membership was portable, I'd use Android Central. But that little step is all it took me to ditch it. The layout of the site is also super busy.

It doesn't help that this community didn't give "firesalers" a warm welcome. In fact, more than a few of us were told to shove off.
    The Touchpad version of (and specifically the Touchpad's) WebOS is filled with gee whiz things that are neat but ultimately isn't even the most optimal.

For example, tasking switching. Now clearly Android's method is worse (holding the Home button? Really?) but having to switch to card view before you can switch to another app is a cludge. If you have 5 cards opened, then you have to scroll all the way. Without the gesture area to do a quick "alt-tab" is just a pain.

At least on Android, there's Task Changer which can do both for you. That is, do an alt-tab with a flick or bring up the running tasks. Which is to say, having massive app support neatly negates a lot of problems.
    I would argue that on the touchpad they made the cards too big. Or it needed the minicard view like in earlier webOS versions
    I would argue that I can't think of any time other than actually testing to see if it was possible, that I've ever needed more than 4 stacks. Maybe you'd like a default option where all cards open in the same stack, or something.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbox View Post
    I don't know about that. I haven't had crashes or problems with alpha 3, sleep, touchpad, wifi, and 1.7GHz overclock all work. The only real crash I get is facebook if I forget to fake my GPS and that's an easy solution. It still is rough compared to webOS, but like I said before, I like different aspects of each.
    I made the mistake of trying to install apps on it that are similar to the ones I use on the TouchPad or I need to make it look/work better. I installed Miren Browser and Dolphin HD, but settled on Dolphin HD. It locked up and crashed on me several times within the first day. I installed the paid version (EX) of ADW Launcher, only to spend the next two days tracking down a bug that caused the widgets, icons, and menus to blow up to 1 1/2 times their size or shrink to 1/2 their size (depending on its mood). Then the launcher would crash and wouldn't restart, causing me to reboot. I tracked it down to the dock settings that were, btw, recommended by others. After I fixed that it has behaved well. It rebooted on me for no reason last night which caught me totally off guard. Usually it only reboots if I download an app from the app catalog that it has heart burn with.

I think that is what ****es me off the most. Installing apps from the app catalog shouldn't make your system crash. I don't blame CM7 for this. I have had the same problem with my other Android devices with the factory installed operating system on them. Android is just buggy as hell when you start actually using it. It also seems to be the polar opposite of webOS. On webOS most tweaks make the system run better. On Android if you tweak or use an app other than the default, be careful. There is no telling what you are in store for.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast