Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    a lot of people are running WEBOS to death before putting on android. why?

i myself am considering dual booting - want some opinions
    You can't lose by having both OSes available on one device. Yes, it takes up a little space, but IMO the benefits FAR, FAR outweigh the space it takes up (~2GB?).

It was a no-brainer for me.
    I loved webOS and still think it's great (or could be) but since putting Android on my TP I hardly ever venture into webOS anymore. It's a shame but Android does so much more, while webOS is just unrealised potential.
  4.    #4  
    oh most people didnt LIKe the android from what i read. what are the good/bad of android on the tablet?

cant believe android is 2gb...only got 16!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Android is buggy and I just prefer using webOS a lot more over Android.

The only real advantage I see to using Android is the amount of apps it has compared to webos.

I'm really interested in the palmdroid project and hope it takes off.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VICODAN View Post
    Android is buggy and I just prefer using webOS a lot more over Android.
    Yep, it's an alpha product. With that said, alpha 3 seems to work pretty well.
    As mentioned elswhere here recently.. see Android as just another (not so small) 'patch' for WebOS!!

Why NOT?

If it doesn't do something useful for you.. then don't use it!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/29/2011 at 05:53 PM.
    <Thread Moved>

For discussion on Android on P|C please see the forum this thread was moved to, for further discussion specific to Android on TouchPad please see the post below.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...scussions.html
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I don't have an Android phone, I have a WebOS phone. That's because I like WebOS and don't like Android. That's the same reason I don't have Android on my Touchpad. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone wants or like's Android.
    I haven't had any ill-effects from installing CM7, however...I find little to no use for it on a regular day-to-day basis. I have to be pretty bored in order for me to fire it up, and I have tried it on several occasions.

Web surfing, email, Twitter, Facebook are my main uses at home....Music Player Remix at work. I rarely game on my TouchPad as I prefer real games on either my PS3 or PC.

If you want more options, (after you've read the documentation and some helpful threads at AC), then I really don't see the harm in trying it out and seeing for yourself. I thought I'd be missing out on more than I am, but I'm pretty content with staying with webOS as my primary OS.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by VICODAN View Post
    I'm really interested in the palmdroid project and hope it takes off.
    Palmdroid is dead. No work done at all in two and a half months, and all the development threads have long died out.

https://bitbucket.org/spencerelliott/palmdroid
    https://www.google.com/search?q=palm...ient=firefox-a

Same for that whole "Android in a webOS Card" project out of China. Zero activity across the board.

CyanogenMod's all you got, and they're both dedicated and highly active.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    android has more apps. That's about it.
    by best hope is maybe, somehow, someone can add something to android to make it look and work more like webos. Webos is just so intuitive and fluid and I love the card system.. Android just reminds me of a bunch of those crappy windows vista widgets
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    android has more apps. That's about it.
    by best hope is maybe, somehow, someone can add something to android to make it look and work more like webos. Webos is just so intuitive and fluid and I love the card system.. Android just reminds me of a bunch of those crappy windows vista widgets
    ICS seems to go a long way toward this goal. They have the lead designer from webOS working on it and it shows. Usage flow is much cleaner. Task switching feels more webOS-like and everything is snappier and cleaner looking.

On the flip side, even in CM7 (gingerbread) once you get used to the "you don't have to shut things down" aspect of android, it's really not so bad. Just homescreen your way out of a program and move onto something else. If you want to go back to what you were doing, hold the home soft button or hardware button and tap the recent program. It'll pull right back up where you left off. Problem solved. During webbrowsing a card system is unnecessary as well, as the major web browsers (firefox, dolphin hd, and opera mobile) all support extremely good multiple-tabbed multitasking browsing experiences (with load-in-background support, unlike the browsers in webOS which will not load a new web card unless you sit and watch it).

There are some task-switchers as well that will emulate a basic card-switching system with a tap of the home button, but again, it's fairly unnecessary once you get the hang of things.

It's a bit overwhelming to come into it blind without any prior android experience - and webOS is so simple that it's hard to get away from that simplicity, but once you've got a properly set up android tablet it's a beautiful thing. It takes roughly as much patching/hacking/tweaking as webOS does to really make it work wonderfully (hell, just look at my HUGE post devoted to making webOS work reasonably well - it's not exactly perfect right out of the box either).

YMMV

On the subject of the original post though.... WebOS was always the underdog. It's a brilliantly made OS that sadly has suffered from poor support and oddball bugs. With a proper development crew and someone with the vision to see it through, webOS could truly be the best tablet OS on the market today - and some would argue that even in it's screwy-state, it already is. To many, making a switch is going against years of support and usage. To others, it's literally going to effect their livelihood (there are lots of app developers here who made real dollars and cents on their efforts with the touchpad, and seeing webOS die is a loss of a revenue stream).

To the end-user? There is -no- reason not to install android. It improves your touchpad and gives you access to a whole world of capabilities and applications you will NEVER get on the touchpad thanks to it's defunct status.

Don't let the nay-sayers or the luddites slow you down. Android is the future for the touchpad and the writing has been on the wall for months now. If you want proper web browsing, updated flash, netflix, any recent game, bluetooth controller support, proper pdf reading, proper office implementation, proper ebook reading, etc etc etc etc, webOS isn't going to provide you that now or in the future.

Yes, the current build of android isn't perfect, but it still opens up worlds of potential webOS simply doesn't have. When ICS finally hits in a month or two, the pendulum will swing even further in the android direction. Perhaps far enough that there will be no point in utilizing webOS at all. Of course, if you decide you still want to, a webOS device is literally 60 seconds away.

Install android. There's no reason not to.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 11/29/2011 at 09:12 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Aside from that fantastic post above me by ncinerate, I just want to reiterate this in particular once more:

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Don't let the nay-sayers or the luddites slow you down. Android is the future for the touchpad and the writing has been on the wall for months now. If you want proper web browsing, updated flash, netflix, any recent game, bluetooth controller support, proper pdf reading, proper office implementation, proper ebook reading, etc etc etc etc, webOS isn't going to provide you that now or in the future.
    All of that and you still don't lose webOS. Case closed.

Catch up with and get help, tips, and recommendations from us dual-booters over here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I'm pleasantly surprised by webOS' usability, and there's been no need for CM7 right now. Things might change once an ICS port is available.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    I've never been a big android person but here's what I like
    - less buggy then webos for me
    - much easier to type with thanks to haptic feedback and keyboard doesnt skip letters like it does in webos
    - Netflix
    - AutoCAD
    - ability to charge on a computer or with a separate charger 8not palm charger)
    - ability to save passwords to websites (not fun logging in on webos where the keyboard skips letters sometimes)
    - google music (all my music is online and playable through my tablet!)
    - roboust integration among files and apps. If I open an AutoCAD file in dropbox I can actually open it in its app. That's nice!
    - better web browsing
    - better mapping
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised by webOS' usability, and there's been no need for CM7 right now. Things might change once an ICS port is available.
    This is what I have been thinking. I will probably set up a dual boot once ICS is available for the TP.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    So was I but I have Android on my phone, so no real need for it on the tablet too. I love WebOS on the tablet, have installed CM7 but don't use it(again, running CM7 on my phone), but I could never in a million years think of giving up Android on my phone for WebOS. The tablet is a different story. I bought the Touchpad to put Android on it but I prefer WebOS for the tablet OS and I don't expect much out of it, again because I spend much more time on my phone for usage. If WebOS had the apps of Android then I wouldn't even think of using Android on my Touchpad any longer, even when ICS comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I

I'm using ubuntu in a card for some of that, it lets me not have to dual boot, I can just open the card. With the homebrew app Tailor and the scripts for ubuntu, especially one tweaked for xfce, I've installed this on a bunch of touchpads for myself and friends.

Firefox ubuntu works for web browsing that does not render well in webOS. It also works to download any files that can't render in webOS.

Pdf reading works ok for me with picsel smart office in webOS and if I want better searching or to annotate pdfs I use Xournal in ubuntu.

Likewise QuickOffice ok for doc editing, ubuntu for large doc composition.

Netflix seems to be accessible via Splashtop for those OK with streaming.

There is a cool home controller (homebrew) being created for webOS which is letting me use the tablet as a remote control for all sorts of things.

I'm not saying android isn't a choice and well-suited for some. What I am saying is I like webOS and for the times I need wider functionality, I can open up ubuntu easily in a card. I find I do not use Ubuntu except in specific situations for work so that also gives me more control and more time with webOS.
    I want to post a reply to the comment made by independent1 and the qoute that was used by ncinerate, but first let answer your question. In a perfect world there are several reasons not to use Android. This is not a perfect world. Given HP's treatment of webOS in the past and the murky future ahead, if you don't install Android your Touchpad will become a useless hunk of plastic in the future. Sure, it will still work like it works now, but that is the problem. Bugs will not get fixed and you will miss out on any new apps or updates to web and multimedia standards.

That being said, don't let the Android lovers hear fool you. Android is having a hard time on tablets right now and low user satisfaction for a reason. The operating system as a whole is buggy, not just CM7. There is no consistency with menus, settings, or the behavior of apps. Even though there are a lot of apps, you are going to be hard pressed to find good ones in each category and even more hard press to find good ones that work well on a tablet. Be prepared to spend hours after the initial install just trying to get things right. Be prepared to download keyboard apps, calendar apps, email apps, music apps, different web browsers, and video apps just to replace the crappy ones that come with the vanilla flavor of the OS. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on apps unless you use the trial version first. Oh, and btw, be prepared for a lot of crashes and restarts.

If you are willing to put in the work and remain dedicated, you will get a lot out of Android and out of your Touchpad that you currently don't have with webOS and probably won't have in the future. I can tell you from using it for the past few days, the Touchpad has been one of the most enjoyable Android devices I have used. However, if I had my way webOS would have a future and it would be the only thing I ran on all of my mobile devices. Good luck! Make sure you head over to the Touchpad forum on Android Central to learn more about installing CM7 and to get the help you are going to definitely need after the install.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast