Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    your thoughts? pros/cons for each?
    Yes!

You're asking this on a webOS fan site.

Oh yeah.. <thread moved>
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Kind of a loaded question on a webOS forum, don't you think? But I'll play - webOS!
    Coming from an android user, I love android so much that I didn't buy an android tablet I got an hp touchpad and looking to buy a palm pre 3 next week.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot View Post
    Coming from an android user, I love android so much that I didn't buy an android tablet I got an hp touchpad and looking to buy a palm pre 3 next week.

Unfortunately, I did buy one. I was previously the gullible owner of the original Galaxy Tab 7". One year later no updates, no support, no joy. I'll never buy another Samsung product again. Enjoying my TP so much now that I'm picking up a Veer soon and hopefully a Pre 3 shortly thereafter.
    @penthus I know what you mean. Just really haven't been no "luster" in android for me lately. I came from maemo5 OS and was force into android but its just boring right now. With webos its like the OS just gets it. So can't wait to get a pre 3 and I will be set for awhile. But my google tv will handle all android fix for now.

GreenHex likes this.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I find android chaotic and not particularly nice to look at but I sure do love the apps.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    GreenHex likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The apps were really the only thing going for my Tab 7. Otherwise, they never released any OS updates and the XDA developers have never even bothered trying to hack it to GB, so it's pretty much a dead end from the standpoint of the frantic pace of Android development. Also means that Skype will never work with it's front facing camera, which makes it pretty much useless. Sad, really as much as I paid for it and now I'll be lucky to get a third of the original price in resale 6 months after I bought it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i'm going to be new to the android collective on monday. two years and a million hours with webOS, i'm already missing her. but I do not have the desire or time to have to deal with issues via frankenpre'ing a phone. I've been a car guy doing my own work for years, and as I approach 40 years old, I find somethings, while I'm capable of doing mysellf, I shouldn't spend time on... I've found that the time is more wisely spent earning money to provide for my family or spending time with those I love and doing things I love outside of my home office.

sigh, alas, WebOS, i'm moving on. I will come back to your loving clutches, for it is your soft carress I miss so much, your inviting tug that excites me so... but I am just so unsure if we'll ever see eachother again....

Oh, and I'm on and sticking with Sprint, so GSM options aren't viable.

and I bought a motorola Photon4g...

and I ate too much turkey yesterday.

but I still think of you romantically my darling pre... and just in case she shows up, please forgive me if I fancy your younger sister.

the end.
    kathykatia likes this.
    I'm basing this on webOS 3.x and Android 2.3.x Gingerbread (CM7), and it's pretty cut and dry for me as both a developer and user:

User Experience: webOS
    Development Environment: webOS
    Apps: Android
    Games: Android
    Productivity: Android
    First-Party Media Ecosystem: Android
    Solid, Future Roadmap: Android

Hate to say it, but while I love the general ease of use of webOS' user experience and its development environment, everything else falls to Android.
    kathykatia, letijr and mike5 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricomann View Post
    and I bought a motorola Photon4g...
    I really liked my Sprintified Pre 2, but it began giving out only 4 months after receiving it and with a pregnant wife about ready to pop I couldn't have a device that couldn't be relied upon. Prior to that, I had a Sprint Pre for over a year and a half before it finally died.

Got myself a Photon 4G like you did, and I love it--after immediately rooting it, of course. Backs everything from my device to Dropbox on schedule so I'm in control of everything, and it's rock-solid and reliable with amazing hardware. The fact that it's a true worldphone is just icing on the cake.

HP could have done the same and competed with the Motorolas, Samsungs, and HTCs, but they didn't. And as someone that's developed and been a user for webOS since the day it came onto the market, I find that incredibly unfortunate. Reading through the problems reported in the Pre 3 forum here reminds me just how far HP still had to go to get it right.
    I love the UI of webOS but, honestly, Android has the apps and the future roadmap so I'm afraid Android wins out... Of course, I prefer iOS over Android for those same reasons (better apps and roadmap).
    "I find android chaotic and not particularly nice to look at but I sure do love the apps. "

Also I this!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    productivity i'll boot into android. light browsing, email, and change of scenery, i'll boot into webos
    I love webOS for the UI. I seem to get more done with it and it doesn't get in the way. The UI seems like it was made for just about any screen. It handles everything I throw at it well.

Android has far more applications and features. However, the UI is not very intuitive. I get lost performing tasks in it. It is also very rough around the edges. There is no unified look and feel to it. Even with the system apps. It drives me crazy. I spend most of my time trying to find apps that look and behave well together. You can tell that some parts of the UI and most of the apps were made for a phone first, tablets seem to be an afterthought. There also seems to be a ton of crappy choices. You have to sift through a lot more junk to get apps that are worthwhile.

Both webOS and Android have stability issues. WebOS seems to hang a lot. When you click on an icon it takes a couple of seconds before something happens. It also missing screen taps sometimes, which is really frustrating. However, Android seems to crash far more than anything else I have used. I'm right in the middle of reading a news story on a website and the browser disappears or I'm using an app and it locks up for no reason. The worst part is when the offending app stalls the whole system, causing me to reboot. Btw, Android boots 3x faster than webOS, but you hardly ever need to reboot webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    WebOS is my choice for operation. Android has far more apps, such as, Netflix. Also, I like using Firefox and Chrome. Haven't seen any of the glitches mentioned on all of the forums. They both seem to function properly.
    Last edited by old_geekster; 11/25/2011 at 11:33 PM.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You can tell that some parts of the UI and most of the apps were made for a phone first, tablets seem to be an afterthought.
    It's because Android 2.3 was never meant to be used on tablets. That said, the CM7 Team has done a pretty bang-up job of getting it to work just fine and tablet support is generally not too bad an issue in my experience. I rarely have problems, but a lot of that can be attributed to having used Android 2.2 and 2.3 for almost a year on various devices in addition to webOS 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x. Is the user experience as good as webOS? No way. But once you're over the learning curve, is it very usable? You bet.

When Android 4.0/ICS comes out on the Touchpad in the next few months, it'll have that unified look and feel, from the general UI to the system apps themselves. It helps that Mathias Duarte, the guy who designed the user experience for webOS, is the guy behind the redesign for Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich and he's bringing a lot of what he did with webOS along for the ride.
    NoICon likes this.
    It's because Android 2.3 was never meant to be used on tablets. That said, the CM7 Team has done a pretty bang-up job of getting it to work just fine and tablet support is generally not too bad an issue in my experience. I rarely have problems, but a lot of that can be attributed to having used Android 2.2 and 2.3 for almost a year on various devices in addition to webOS 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x. Is the user experience as good as webOS? No way. But once you're over the learning curve, is it very usable? You bet.

When Android 4.0/ICS comes out on the Touchpad in the next few months, it'll have that unified look and feel, from the general UI to the system apps themselves. It helps that Mathias Duarte, the guy who designed the user experience for webOS, is the guy behind the redesign for Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich and he's bringing a lot of what he did with webOS along for the ride.
    Once again we get "wait until Ice Cream Sandwich". I think the problem that a person runs into with Android is the fragmentation that ICS is supposed to fix. Even after ICS is released, Google cannot force all hardware maker to upgrade to it. Some hardware makers won't upgrade their existing phones and tablets to it in order to force you into buying newer hardware. If you go the custom ROM route, you will lose software support and a lot of high end apps may not work on your device. That is also the frustration with Android. Too many folks doing what they want to do that is not in your best interest. I hope it gets better because if Whitman decides to kill webOS, Android and iOS are the only game left in town for me.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    WebOS for light browsing and the wife's Suduko, CM7 for everything else.

I love the webOS multitasking and 'togetherness' but hate the pauses, bugs, lack of apps, poor native media support and enforced update philosophy (had to shoehorn it in )

When I don't want to build my forearm muscles or feel the need for gaming or music-making I will turn to my iPad.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast