Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    As long as the Cyanogenmod guys continue then I'll never have a problem with fragmentation. I'll always have the latest Android OS on my phone.
    Ummm... what about locked bootloaders? I thought there were a number of phones that could not get updated ROM's of that type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Ummm... what about locked bootloaders? I thought there were a number of phones that could not get updated ROM's of that type.
    What you said. I switched to Android about 3 months ago and got a Droid X2. Cyanogenmod isnt made for Droid X2 due to the locked bootloader. There are other options for ROMs but a lot of stuff is left out that other phones are able to get. That and the locked bootloader probably pushes developers away from making stuff for my phone. So I'm not getting everything other rooted users are getting because my phone is "locked."

In response to the original post, I REALLY miss webOS. I still have my Palm Pre Plus and turn it on every now and then to keep it updated and, honestly, just to play with it. I like how many options android has though as far as replacement apps. For example, I'm running apps that make my phone look more WP7 which you cant do on webOS. But I love how simple and fun it was to patch and theme webOS. I can honestly say I like android. But I will always have a soft spot for webOS. I hope to, one day, see a comeback.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    This whole thing reminds me of the old PC War days. Windows 3.1 had all the apps and the hardware was cheap but Apple had better UI and integration. We are now experiencing that same struggle with Android and WebOS.

On my phone, I don't mind Android. It works. Lots off apps and I'm not using the Net heavily or multitasking. On my Tablets I prefer WebOS for the UI, eMail and Multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Android, being a Google made and maintained operating system, should have a better Google Mail client then everyone else. It's like saying that "I like the fact that my iPad connects better to Apple TV than my other non-Apple device".
    That is so dead-on! I have a Honeycomb tablet (Toshiba Thrive) and the Gamil app is way behind the TP WebOS Gmail client. Imagine that you can't resize (zoom in) on html emails in Android Honeycomb! You can only set defualts sizes for text which is great for some emails and awful for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

Be glad you avoided the kludgy mess that is Honeycomb. It's tolerable, but I can't wait for Asus to release ICS for the Transformer.
    That's exactly what it is, a kludgy, linear, non-intuitive, highly nested mess. But, the apps are there and Dolphin is excellent and the Firefox Beta allows me to synch, so I use it and like others, find myself trying to use WebOS gestures to get around.

And another thing, I find the fact that these Android devices are "locked-down" offensive. What right do they have to keep me from doing what I want with my own property? I found the ability to do whatever I wanted with my Touchpad, including overclocking and UI tweaking, liberating. It's that freedom to get under the hood that made me a DOS -> Win7 loyalist and why I love my TP and wish I could use it more.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Yeah, sucks to be them, but that's only Motorola phones. Plus, I won't buy Motorola phones because of my history with them and other's having problems with all the one's they bought. HTC and Samsung will not lock the bootloaders. Samsung is even sending their top end phones to the Cyanogenmod guys to have their ROM ready when the phone comes out and HTC stated they will never lock the bootloader on any future production of a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Yeah, sucks to be them, but that's only Motorola phones. Plus, I won't buy Motorola phones because of my history with them and other's having problems with all the one's they bought. HTC and Samsung will not lock the bootloaders. Samsung is even sending their top end phones to the Cyanogenmod guys to have their ROM ready when the phone comes out and HTC stated they will never lock the bootloader on any future production of a phone.
    One thing I can say about Motorola Devices is that they all have RSD Lite and SBF files. Which in my opinion, is the equivalent to the webOS Doctor. Making it pretty hard to permanently brick your device. I dont know if other manufacturers offer a similar feature but it has definitely helped me a couple times. I havent had any problems with my Motorola Droid X2 other than things happening from my own doing. The locked bootloader is the only thing that sucks. and I dont think its all Motorola Devices that are locked. Im pretty sure the Droid X has Cyanogen Mod support.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigOldDog View Post
    And another thing, I find the fact that these Android devices are "locked-down" offensive. What right do they have to keep me from doing what I want with my own property? I found the ability to do whatever I wanted with my Touchpad, including overclocking and UI tweaking, liberating. It's that freedom to get under the hood that made me a DOS -> Win7 loyalist and why I love my TP and wish I could use it more.
    I can see the manufacturer's point of view here -- people diddling around the inner workings of a very complex device can often do irreversible damage, then they go whining to the manufacturer about their non-functional phone. HTC gets around this now by offering to unlock the bootloader for you in return for you agreeing that you're voiding most of your warranty. No different than your warranty being voided for modifying most things you buy I suppose.
    I think people get overly worked up on both sides of this issue.

Want an unlocked phone that you can hack and update with completely custom roms? Get one that is unlocked and can be hacked with completely custom roms.

Want one from an OEM with a good track record for building quality handsets and good call quality? Get one offered by a vendor with a good track record for building quality handsets and good call quality.

Rinse and repeat.

Honestly, even if you “fragment” android phones into umpteen different categories, you still get more options in each category than webOS is offering you.

-Suntan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234