Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    The only benefit to Android is the apps.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    The only benefit to Android is the apps.
    Which in itself tips the decision for me - for example - the evernote app on WebOS is a joke compared to the evernote tablet app - they are miles apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I find android chaotic and not particularly nice to look at but I sure do love the apps.
    This is all needed to be said. It's such a recovery to boot back to webOS.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    This is all needed to be said. It's such a recovery to boot back to webOS.
    Heh - I'm always amazed how nice WebOS looks when I boot back into it after using android on my TP for a bit but then I find I need to do something and back to android I go...
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    Heh - I'm always amazed how nice WebOS looks when I boot back into it after using android on my TP for a bit but then I find I need to do something and back to android I go...
    I spent a great amount of time in CM7 trying to make Android look as nice as and behave as nice as webOS. From theming the home replacement, to make the icons bigger, to trying to change the fonts. I couldn't make it happen. The only app I wanted was NetFlix and it just wasn't worth the hassle. Especially since my Playstation 3 is in the next room hooked to a 65 inch HDTV.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Android backward capability is superior to webos. Even if you are on froyo you can use the majority of the apps without any issues. The phone apps scale well on tabets but run in a tiny box on webos.
    I call BS on this statement. After using an Android tablet (2.3) for close to a year, I can tell you that most phone apps don't scale well on a tablet. Plus it depends on your tablet's resolution anyway. There is no way to sort out tablet apps from phone apps on Android. Most of the time the orientation is off. Most people I know like to hold their tablets in landscape mode, yet most Android apps are coded for portrait mode. Even if an app was made for both a tablet and a phone, it defaults to phone mode. You have to go into the settings to tell it that it is on a tablet (ADW Launcher EX is an example of this). At least with the TouchPad there is an option in the catalog to only show tablet apps so you don't accidentally download a phone app.

I've only had CM7 on the TP for a day, but I've learned two things: (a) letting WebOS die would really be tragic, as the UI is miles above Android, and/or (b) ICS can't come fast enough if that's the direction we're all headed in.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Even if an app was made for both a tablet and a phone, it defaults to phone mode.
    This isn't true, it's on an app by app basis and depends on the developer - compare evernote on a phone to evernote on a larger resolution screen like the touchpad - it detects the larger screen and you get the tablet interface with no user intervention. Also the touchpad market now suggests tablet apps in the market (now the market "sees" the touchpad).
    dignitary likes this.
    I find android chaotic and not particularly nice to look at but I sure do love the apps.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    I'm with this guy.
    This isn't true, it's on an app by app basis and depends on the developer - compare evernote on a phone to evernote on a larger resolution screen like the touchpad - it detects the larger screen and you get the tablet interface with no user intervention. Also the touchpad market now suggests tablet apps in the market (now the market "sees" the touchpad).
    I apologize. Your statement on tablet detection is true. It is on an app by app basis, which just adds to the fact that there is no consistency. In the TouchPad market from day one apps that were for the Touchpad had "for TouchPad" in the description. Now you can sort the whole market for TouchPad apps by selecting TouchPad as the device from a drop down menu. It is way ahead of Android on this. You have to try to install a phone app on the TouchPad. With Android you have to roll the dice.

11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The android market now does this for the touchpad but I have only tried a couple of apps so no idea what the amounts are like. I am getting a windows phone next week so small hoping I get something a little ugly than android but with more apps support than webOS.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    I only use a handful of apps on android SO to me the app talk is slim. I just shot out a few emails to devs asking about the port of they app to WebOS. So hopefully I hear back from them soon.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    I have always wondered people need so many apps, I am fine with what I have on webos. I must live a really sheltered life
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have always wondered people need so many apps, I am fine with what I have on webos. I must live a really sheltered life
    Its not a matter of "so many" being available, it's a matter of the apps you need being available. A device with a larger catalog of apps is going to have more chances of containing what you need.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am a big fan of music making, control and processing and am constantly amazed at what can be done with a tablet that could only be dreamt of in a studio not so long ago.

Unfortunately neither webOS (lack of apps) nor Android (ill-suited technically, might be better with ICS, might not) will do the job for me.

iOS has the numbers and therefore the developers (and quality) so it's over to the 'shiny fashion trinket brigade' I go.

I can process my guitar (or whatever) through it, record and mix multiple tracks, generate tracks from scratch and control my midi equipment and PC software through it (either wirelessly or from a number of available peripherals).

Oh, and no fart apps.

Having said all that, from a bank balance point of view I wish my life was more sheltered (or there was a credible alternative for me).
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Its not a matter of "so many" being available, it's a matter of the apps you need being available. A device with a larger catalog of apps is going to have more chances of containing what you need.
    I guess some people do a lot more with their tablets than I do. Mine does everything I need it to. I check both home and work email (which is way better than Android), monitor my work calendar, and browse the web. I don't really play games, edit docs, use watch movies. I do sometimes use youtube though and it works perfectly.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I guess some people do a lot more with their tablets than I do. Mine does everything I need it to. I check both home and work email (which is way better than Android), monitor my work calendar, and browse the web. I don't really play games, edit docs, use watch movies. I do sometimes use youtube though and it works perfectly.
    Even then it depends on usage - gmail in the email client is woeful compared to the android app. Lots of features missing - for example, I can't select which email address associated with my gmail account I want to use on an email by email basis.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    <unsubscribed>
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    I'm basing this on webOS 3.x and Android 2.3.x Gingerbread (CM7), and it's pretty cut and dry for me as both a developer and user:

User Experience: webOS
    Development Environment: webOS
    Apps:z Android
    Games: Android
    Productivity: Android
    First-Party Media Ecosystem: Android
    Solid, Future Roadmap: Android

Hate to say it, but while I love the general ease of use of webOS' user experience and its development environment, everything else falls to Android.
    what he says...
    HP Pre 3 not capable to display names of people calling in
    Touchpad with cracked case
    Even then it depends on usage - gmail in the email client is woeful compared to the android app. Lots of features missing - for example, I can't select which email address associated with my gmail account I want to use on an email by email basis.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Android, being a Google made and maintained operating system, should have a better Google Mail client then everyone else. It's like saying that "I like the fact that my iPad connects better to Apple TV than my other non-Apple device".
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast