Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    FYI.....see link.

    Take care,

    Jay

    HP TouchPad & CyanogenMod 7.1 Android Alpha 3 update
    Under: Google Android, Tablet PC
    Date: November 24th, 2011

    HP TouchPad & CyanogenMod 7.1 Android Alpha 3 update Phone Reviews

    The new CyanogenMod 7.1 Android Alpha 3 update has been released; this is the new build of Google Android for the HP TouchPad. RootzWiki has the all the updates from Alpha 1 up-to-date, this tablet PC as standard was released with webOS 3.0 software, but the world went crazy for an Android port.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    cyberprashant likes this.
  2. #2  
    Had to go through two links to get to the source. Might as well link directly to rootz wiki page:

    [Release][Alpha3]Cyanogenmod Touchpad - RootzWiki
  3. #3  
    I installed Alpha 3 yesterday. The install went great.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

    As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
  4. #4  
    This particular version is definitely more tempting than previous....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #5  
    Is there any chance in further future that beta or final will be released?
    I am not up to date with cyanogen news.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimmelpirat View Post
    Is there any chance in further future that beta or final will be released?
    I am not up to date with cyanogen news.
    It would be surprising if it didn't make it to beta and final stages. There is definitely a lot of interest in this, tons of donation offers, and some good developers working on it frequently.
  7. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy58 View Post
    It would be surprising if it didn't make it to beta and final stages. There is definitely a lot of interest in this, tons of donation offers, and some good developers working on it frequently.
    I'd be surprised that it would make it to Beta. The CM guys should be working on the ICS port right now and dropping all development on Gingerbread for devices. The more time they spend on Gingerbread updates the longer ICS will take to get out.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I'd be surprised that it would make it to Beta. The CM guys should be working on the ICS port right now and dropping all development on Gingerbread for devices. The more time they spend on Gingerbread updates the longer ICS will take to get out.
    ICS is "too" fresh, for all Gingerbread compatible apps to run on it.

    Better to get CM7 done, then have the knowledge derived from that port, transferred to CM9 (ICS).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    ICS is "too" fresh, for all Gingerbread compatible apps to run on it.

    Better to get CM7 done, then have the knowledge derived from that port, transferred to CM9 (ICS).
    Is there any timeframe of development for both gingerbread and ICS? I read on another site that development for CM 9 for normal android devices would be a couple of months at the minimum
  10. #10  
    A couple of developer comments have indicated a couple or months for ICS and I doubt that will be a release candidate.

    I question the value of developing CM7 rather than just spending the time and resources on ICS but I imagine they have their reasons. Considering the rate of CM7 alpha releases it might be some time before a release candidate of CM7 is available. The current Alpha 3 works well where it works but it's lacking a lot. I wouldn't depend on it for day to day use unless you only do the basics like email and surfing.

    Either way, it's great to watch the progress!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    This particular version is definitely more tempting than previous....
    The only reason to install Android is for the apps. If you make enough good apps for WOS, we won't need it.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

    As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
  12. #12  
    My CM7 install somehow got into a state last night, where I was playing Words with Friends, and all of a sudden, it locked up, and i switched out of it, and the app crashed. Afterwards, every app I launched then crashed. There's some seriously bad mojo there, didn't we generally manage to stop failures from affecting other applications back in the mid 90's?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  13. Peppy431's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    ICS is "too" fresh, for all Gingerbread compatible apps to run on it.

    Better to get CM7 done, then have the knowledge derived from that port, transferred to CM9 (ICS).
    I agree. I wouldn't jump on the ICS bandwagon until it proves itself to be worth porting. First releases always undergo a lot of fixes. ICS needs to be used by the public to expose its flaws.

    Another concern is that not enough android tablets sold to make it worthwhile for android developers to optimize apps for Honeycomb. There wasn't sufficient demand. Unless there's some big selling ICS tablets, that situation isn't going to change. Here's a good article on the situation:
    Mystery of the Missing Honeycomb Apps | PCWorld
    ICS doesn't hold great appeal for me unless it results in the proliferation of tablet optimized apps.
  14. cerps's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't jump on the ICS bandwagon until it proves itself to be worth porting. First releases always undergo a lot of fixes. ICS needs to be used by the public to expose its flaws.

    Another concern is that not enough android tablets sold to make it worthwhile for android developers to optimize apps for Honeycomb. There wasn't sufficient demand. Unless there's some big selling ICS tablets, that situation isn't going to change. Here's a good article on the situation:
    Mystery of the Missing Honeycomb Apps | PCWorld
    ICS doesn't hold great appeal for me unless it results in the proliferation of tablet optimized apps.
    ICS is for both phones and tablets. Theoretically when apps are updated to work with ICS, they'll work on both phones and tablets so you won't have the lack of tablet apps. I would think Google saw the lack of tablet app problem and made coding ICS apps to work on both device types relatively easy. With that said I'm not a dev so I can't say whether that is the case
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't jump on the ICS bandwagon until it proves itself to be worth porting. First releases always undergo a lot of fixes. ICS needs to be used by the public to expose its flaws.

    Another concern is that not enough android tablets sold to make it worthwhile for android developers to optimize apps for Honeycomb. There wasn't sufficient demand. Unless there's some big selling ICS tablets, that situation isn't going to change. Here's a good article on the situation:
    Mystery of the Missing Honeycomb Apps | PCWorld
    ICS doesn't hold great appeal for me unless it results in the proliferation of tablet optimized apps.
    ICS isn't much more than cs7 with all the updates and a new look, obviously some goodies but not that different from what I've been reading. I'm no coder so it's only 2nd hand info I'm getting.

    I'd guess most work on getting hardware working w/o bugs in cs7 is nearly, if not a direct port into ICS. I'm a little surprised we didn't get a leaked version that HP had planned for the touchpad anyway.. I also remember reading in a few places the touchpad was planned for andriod in the early stages anyway until HP picked up palm. If so it seems like someone at HP could 'help' out a little w/ all the driver issues to get it rock solid much faster.

    Just to put it out there... many reports on 2.2 or 2.3 being WAY more stable than alpha3, so users beware.
  16. Peppy431's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cerps View Post
    ICS is for both phones and tablets. Theoretically when apps are updated to work with ICS, they'll work on both phones and tablets so you won't have the lack of tablet apps. I would think Google saw the lack of tablet app problem and made coding ICS apps to work on both device types relatively easy. With that said I'm not a dev so I can't say whether that is the case
    It's explained in the article I linked.

    Many pundits have speculated that perhaps the holdup is in anticipation of Ice Cream Sandwich, which will theoretically merge Android's phone and tablet platforms, helping to end fragmentation, and which is due to arrive this fall. Why develop for one version of Android that will soon be enveloped by another?
    To put it simply, none of the developers we spoke with indicated that the impending arrival of Ice Cream Sandwich is a factor. No one, it would seem, expects developing for Ice Cream Sandwich to be all that different from developing for Honeycomb. If it's going to be running on a tablet-sized screen, graphics will need to be scaled up, and the app will likely have to be redesigned for the new screen size. This is simply the difference between tablets and phones, not between Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich.
  17. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    Just to put it out there... many reports on 2.2 or 2.3 being WAY more stable than alpha3, so users beware.
    I'm confused from this statement. Are you talking about Android 2.2(Froyo) and 2.3(Gingerbread)? If so then CM7 is Gingerbread and CM6 was Froyo. Alpha 3 is just for the Touchpad. I'm running CM7 Stable on my Android phone and it runs awesome.
  18. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    It's explained in the article I linked.
    Actually, the article doesn't explain it at all. It's just speculation from a very old article. Read one of the newer article and you'll find that cerps is absolutely correct. Here's an interview with some of the Android people.

    Complete Ice Cream Sandwich Launch Q and A with Android Authorities - SlashGear

    An excerpt from the article, "Its the same application that runs on both, and the UI customizes and adapts itself for both"
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I'm confused from this statement. Are you talking about Android 2.2(Froyo) and 2.3(Gingerbread)? If so then CM7 is Gingerbread and CM6 was Froyo. Alpha 3 is just for the Touchpad. I'm running CM7 Stable on my Android phone and it runs awesome.
    2.3 cm7 is apparently more stable, many are having issues w/ alpha3. I've even read several threads around saying hold out to the next build if you don't have specific issues and a reason to upgrade.
  20. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    2.3 cm7 is apparently more stable, many are having issues w/ alpha3. I've even read several threads around saying hold out to the next build if you don't have specific issues and a reason to upgrade.
    That's what was confusing me because 2.3 CM7 is the exact same ROM as the CM7 Alpha 3 for the Touchpad. Think of it like this, you're trying to take a Honda engine and put it into a Toyota, which might be fairly easy. Now they are putting that same Honda engine but putting it inside of the Smart Car. Because they are so different it will take more modifications. They are the same Honda Engine(CM7) but changes are going to need to be made to make it work.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions