Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich source code released - Computerworld Blogs

What does this mean for us who are new to tablets? I have on TP for myself - and two to give as gifts. I enjoy WebOS, but I know that my browsing experience should not be so frustrating. I am not really a fan of Android - but ICS looks very nice. I am more concerned about making sure that the people I want to gift these other TPs to have a great user experience and do not feel frustrated by WebOS. I personally will not give up WebOS, but would love a dual boot for the Nook app alone!
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 11/14/2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Needed to Correct Heading
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich source code released - Computerworld Blogs

What does this mean for us who are new to tablets? I have on TP for myself - and two to give as gifts. I enjoy WebOS, but I know that my browsing experience should not be so frustrating. I am not really a fan of Android - but ICS looks very nice. I am more concerned about making sure that the people I want to gift these other TPs to have a great user experience and do not feel frustrated by WebOS. I personally will not give up WebOS, but would love a dual boot for the Nook app alone!
    Your family and friends will hate the TP and webOS, so you should sell me one.

Seriously, before giving them a TP, just show them yours, let them play with it for a bit and see how they respond. If they love it then you have a great gift, if they complain, then give it to someone else or sell it and use the cash to buy something else.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Yep agreed with Maverickz.

If you found frustration in WebOS and even can't convince yourself to love webOS, better you sell it to someone that definitely happy with it.

Giving as a gift and hope that he/she will love your gift is something important. So if you afraid that he/she will feel your frustration over Touchpad, then better don't give it as a gift.
    CyanogenMod personnel don't give an ETA, but if the past is any indicator of future output, it'll be 2-4 months before a stable HP Touchpad release makes it out. But, the people responsible for CM7 on the Touchpad are now simultaneously working on patching drivers and stabilizing Android for the Touchpad and examining ICS so they can work on getting that ported.

It helps that much of the HP Touchpad's architecture is already used in a couple of HTC's phones.

So, short and sweet: They can try webOS, and they don't like it or the lack of apps on the platform, you always have the promise of being able to try again when CM9/ICS is released for the device. It's like two chances in one to win them over.

I personally already dual-boot, and find little problem with the current CM7 Alpha 2 release. That said, your mileage will vary.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Yet another issue to think about before jumping onto any Android platform.

the understatement: Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support

But no worries..there's always Cyanogenmod.
    Im sort of a little surprised on just how many devices Cyanogen are currently working on with ICS when the manufacturers have already said ICS is coming out for those handsets. seems a little pointless to me and would be better waiting until those manu's have released ICS, then Cyanogen work on their versions

Ive tried Android on my Touchpad and its nice to have droid on there but I have gone back to single OS of WebOs
    unless you need the million + similar (mostly rubbish/junk) apps out there then the android dual boots just the usual novelty factor and boasting rights.

most people probably just want the odd bigname app ported/emulated from android and ofc all their games, thats probably about it for most people tbh.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Having used CM7 for a week or 2 now I agree with the post above. It's nice to have as a backup but I only use it for a handful of apps / games that don't exist in webOS.

In fairness though, it's only an alpha build of a very old OS. Once we get ICS the OS comparison will be a lot more reasonable.
    The only reason I would want ICS is Netflix. That's it though.