Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Aganar
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 2 Post By brshoemak
  • 1 Post By cgk
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    So having installed CM7 on my touchpad over the weekend, I was immediately wowed, then disappointed, then wowed again. Having fluctuated now a few times, I think I've come to some conclusions regarding the whole Android vs webOS thing.

1. The Android apps are very, very nice. That's what initially brought me to install CM7 on there, and it's an inescapable fact. The sheer plethora of them, quality or otherwise, really only draws further attention to HP's failure to get a vibrant app market going for the Touchpad. I applaud the good ones that have come out for webOS, sometimes even over their Android counterparts, but Android's just got the apps category beat, hands-down.

2. HP clearly put alot of work into their stock apps, and it does show. While I prefer DolphinHD over webOS's stock browser, the webOS browser is leagues ahead of the Android stock. This goes double for synergy, which does an infinitely better job of syncing email and messaging accounts (I don't bother with pictures) than anything on the Android market. The Adobe reader is in serious need of some work, however, as is the default office suite. A shame, because had both of those been spruiced up a bit, maybe with some added security features to the whole thing, the Touchpad could easily have become the premiere tablet for offices.

3. As much as I'm enjoying Android's apps right now, the CM7 build is far from stable. Every time I restart, I have to manually forget and re-enter my home wifi to make the thing pick it up properly. More excruciatingly, even in Alpha2 I'm still getting the dreaded Sleep of Death problem (tablet goes into sleep mode and can't be woken up without a hard reset) rather frequently. And every time I do, I've gotta reset the wifi.

4. Probably as a result of the OS having been designed by the people who made the hardware, I seem to get much better performance out of webOS apps over their Android equivalents. 720p Youtube video plays pretty much flawlessly on webOS, but choppy as hell on the Android. Again, I attribute this to the stability issue, but since the whole thing is essentially homebrew, I wonder if it will ever reach that kind of playback without HP lending a hand towards an official Android port or something. Netflix as well, despite being inaccessible on webOS, was grainy as hell when I tried it on android. Not a big deal to me, since I have it on my PS3 as well, but a little disappointing.

Conclusion: It seems to me that if the stock features of the webOS were enough for you, it would probably be superior to CM7. But being a fellow who likes to tinker (why I could ever buy an apple product), I of course want access to those android apps. The Pulse News app alone makes CM7 as the preferable boot to use if I'm heading into a Starbucks. As it stands now I could see myself using both OS's from time to time, but as CM7 enters beta or, god forbid, an official release, I see webOS becoming obsolete without an android card emulator.
    Wait until they get GPU acceleration running fully in CM7; you'll see an enormous difference in performance (especially in video and gaming) once they leverage it.
    I can't wait to see what CM team does with ICS on the Touchpad.
    For me the only superior thing webos has so far is the keyboard, I find the android one very clumsy in comparison. I have installed A.I Keyboard and although it's pretty it basically just re-skins and adds a different word prediction algorithm. Hopefully soon a webos keyboard will come to the android market.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    For me the only superior thing webos has so far is the keyboard, I find the android one very clumsy in comparison. I have installed A.I Keyboard and although it's pretty it basically just re-skins and adds a different word prediction algorithm. Hopefully soon a webos keyboard will come to the android market.
    Have you tried SwiftKey x?
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    snip
    Conclusion: It seems to me that if the stock features of the webOS were enough for you, it would probably be superior to CM7. But being a fellow who likes to tinker (why I could ever buy an apple product), snip.
    Nice write up. One thing, iOS can be tinkered with. You just need the right skill set to do so.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    1) Totally Agree
    2) Totally Agree
    3) The current CM7 release is an ALPHA release. If MS put out an alpha release of Windows it would boot and get to the desktop and you MIGHT be able to open the calculator (if you're lucky). What Cyanogen has done in a relatively short time is amazing for an alpha release. It seems like their Touchpad CM7 (Gingerbread) release is giving them good practice for when CM9 (ICS) comes out - the work on CM7 gives a great base of knowledge of hardware/drivers so they won't have to start from scratch for ICS.
    4) Again, alpha release - more work and GPU acceleration should do wonders

I see myself using webOS for some time but it's good to know if the ecosystem dies completely and HP shuts off their server it's good to know that I'll have Android (and their plethora of apps) to fall back on.
    I have to throw my vote for thumb keyboard with the numbers down the middle. I guess a keyboard is a highly specific thing. I have heard much love for the webos keyboard but I was never able to get used to It. I was always having problems with the edges - mixing up A's and S's. I just chalked it up to my inability to type. Somehow, the thumb keyboard just gets me. I like having all the numbers and punctuation available at once and it makes me feel like I can type faster without error.
    In my country, first there is man, then horse, then dog, then little crutzulee....
    Thanks for this write-up. Very helpful. I think I will wait for a stable ICS build before going down the dual boot road. I am basically very happy with WebOS except for the app limitations and I can use splashtop to get around most of those issues for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Have you tried SwiftKey x?
    I'm a fan of Smart Keyboard Pro for my Android devices because I can install additional languages and switch between them really quickly. Their Japanese language support is pretty great, and they offer a ton of others.
    Just tried swiftkey and there doesn't seem to be a compatible version for the touchpad. Then installed thumb keyboard which seems to be fine but may take some getting used to Cheers for the suggestions everyone.

good analysis - For me - the strength of WebOS has always bee in the core apps and functionality of Synergy and the PIM suite.
    Last edited by rudramakesmovie; 10/31/2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: woah - didn't mean to quote whole OP!
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
  13. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Perfect keyboard is what I use on CM7. The arrow keys are just too useful to pass up. Swiftkey was being stupid and acting up and not working right for me for some reason.
    Just tried swiftkey and there doesn't seem to be a compatible version for the touchpad. Then installed thumb keyboard which seems to be fine but may take some getting used to Cheers for the suggestions everyone.

I'm using Swiftkey X Tablet version right now. Do you not see it when you go to the market? You may need to install the update to unblock devices from the Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I'm using Swiftkey X Tablet version right now. Do you not see it when you go to the market? You may need to install the update to unblock devices from the Market.
    I did see the tablet version but it told me my tablet was not compatible, so I didn't bother going any further. I have to say thumb keyboard is great though, might even give it a go on my ageing htc desire.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I found the stock Android browser to be faster than the stock WebOS one (I have two touchpads, so I am able to do side-by-side tests). The 3.0.4 update also seemed to make it much harder to accurately select some links, and I don't have this problem on Android. Also, the video on BBC iPlayer, live, was smoother under Android.

As for the downsides mentioned in the OP, as others have said, it's an alpha release, what do you expect? I've had worse experiences with beta and even released software before now. The only problems I've had so far is occasionally having to turn wifi off and on again, and once the Touchpad turned itself off, and I had to reset the date and time after a reboot.
    I did see the tablet version but it told me my tablet was not compatible, so I didn't bother going any further. I have to say thumb keyboard is great though, might even give it a go on my ageing htc desire.
    Okay. I think it showed up for me because I already own it for another tablet.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Okay. I think it showed up for me because I already own it for another tablet.
    No other tablet here and works fine for me.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
    As for the downsides mentioned in the OP, as others have said, it's an alpha release, what do you expect? I've had worse experiences with beta and even released software before now. The only problems I've had so far is occasionally having to turn wifi off and on again, and once the Touchpad turned itself off, and I had to reset the date and time after a reboot.
    I'm well-aware it's alpha; I'm fairly sure I acknowledged that in my initial post. Hence why I said Android is inevitably going to take over as it goes through beta and becomes more stable. But I'm judging them as they are right now; I can't award Android the victor in functionality as it stands based on a promise. One must take into account that:
    a) It's still in alpha, meaning it will have to go through beta before we even get an official release; there's no telling how long that will take by itself.
    b) There's no guarantee that it will stop there, given that everyone is already anticipating they'll start porting ICS once the source for it is released, meaning it could be upwards of a year before the port reaches full potential
    c) It's homebrew. As good as homebrew is, there's no guarantee it will ever match the stability of the OS designed by the people who make the hardware.

With that in mind, the Android, even in its infantile, gimped alpha state, it's still wiping the floor with webOS with regard to apps. And in the future it might win out with regards to stability, speed, and functionality as well. But it's not doing that right now, and I have to give props where props are due to webOS for that.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone notice that all the google apps are starting to update to ICS compatible - starting to look a lot nicer and more swiping and fewer button presses - hopefully this will continue with more apps and across the whole OS.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    DemonHighwayman likes this.