View Poll Results: WebOS or Android, Which Will You Use On Your TP?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android

37 40.66%
  • WebOS

54 59.34%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    We all know there is fervent interest in porting TPs over to Android. We already have a working and somewhat stable Alpha version of the Cyanogen Mod available for use.

Given some of the disadvantages of WebOS (lack of App developer support, Ad-Hoc network support, paltry stock and 3rd party browsers, much slower releases and updates of the OS, constant rumors of OS abandonment), once a fully flushed out version of Android is available will you be crossing over?

Will you dual boot, but primarily work under the Android OS?

Or will you stay with WebOS and if so, why?
    I really love webOS, but I will install Android once a stable version is released (Ice Cream Sandwich/CM9) and dual-boot. I like to learn about different systems and the TP will allow me to do this. For me its a learning experience. Best spent $150 for tech (I have the 32GB).
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Two off the top of the head that have keypad/number row keys.

also, a lot of them have keyboard keys that will automatically place a number when you "long" press the key. Which, imo is also a good tradeoff as opossed to having to press an option key to get numebrs.

https://market.android.com/details?i...b2FyZHBsdXMiXQ..

https://market.android.com/details?i...ZXQudHJpYWwiXQ..

There are many other keyboard apps on android. Personally I use Thumb Keyboard on my tablet.

-Suntan
    Thank you. The hackers keyboard does it for me.

Alan
    ...bought the TP for having an in-bed webbroser & eReader, and it does both - albeit as we all know even Advanced Browser is nowhere near Opera Mobile, Fennec, or microB but a "nice try". I dunno what HP was smoking when they implemented the default browser anyway.

Coming from the Maemo community (and loving my N900, being spoiled by the UI of Fremantle and CSSU), i must say IMHO there are far more capable people involved over there, also the huge repositories of Debian armel packages help not having that much needed effort when porting something (we can even run PDK games natively!). webOS package management sucks for me - all the hassle like uninstalling patches before OS updates or saving application data (there are no "apps" for me!) between updates was unhead of before. Not even my old Symbian S60v3 phone needed that.

Android is a *******ized incompatible (incompatible as in no EGLIBC, X etc.) Linux derivate "phone" OS infested with Google services and too often ad-ridden freeware software that i do not use; only if Mer or something else fully standard Linux-based is available for ARMv7, i would consider switching. And no, that doesn't mean Ubuntu or Kubuntu Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
    ...bought the TP for having an in-bed webbroser & eReader, and it does both - albeit as we all know even Advanced Browser is nowhere near Opera Mobile, Fennec, or microB but a "nice try". I dunno what HP was smoking when they implemented the default browser anyway.

Coming from the Maemo community (and loving my N900, being spoiled by the UI of Fremantle and CSSU), i must say IMHO there are far more capable people involved over there, also the huge repositories of Debian armel packages help not having that much needed effort when porting something (we can even run PDK games natively!). webOS package management sucks for me - all the hassle like uninstalling patches before OS updates or saving application data (there are no "apps" for me!) between updates was unhead of before. Not even my old Symbian S60v3 phone needed that.

Android is a *******ized incompatible (incompatible as in no EGLIBC, X etc.) Linux derivate "phone" OS infested with Google services and too often ad-ridden freeware software that i do not use; only if Mer or something else fully standard Linux-based is available for ARMv7, i would consider switching. And no, that doesn't mean Ubuntu or Kubuntu Mobile.
    I honestly don't understand about 90% of the terms and jargon you mentioned. lol.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    crutzulee and z0g like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    funny thing is I have an android tablet and I find myself constantly trying to swipe away cards to close apps. It seems webOS has implanted itself in my brain lol. I really love this OS my real hope is to see it continue on and have either HP bring it back to life for real, or sell it to someone who will embrace it as it deserves.
    Haha, so true. CM7 Alpha 2 is so stable that I'm using it primarily now. I do like WebOS but it feels SOOOO good to have widgets and homescreens, Opera Mobile, Words With Friends, Youtube App, and a working Gmail app back! But the ONE thing I'm dying for is the ability to swipe apps away. So intuitive. I'm gonna miss that. But not enough to ignore the fact that Android is still more functional than WebOS. Don't get me wrong.. I love WebOS and I think it runs circles around iOS... but Android (especially the Tablet version of Gingerbread baked into CM7 which I think trumps Honeycomb) is far more functional than WebOS thanks to widgets and that enormous app catalogue.

Originally I thought I was gonna wait for a 'stable' release.. but I jumped in early and I'm pleasantly surprised. My Touchpad runs CM7 better than my HTC DesireZ which is on a 'stable' release.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123