View Poll Results: WebOS or Android, Which Will You Use On Your TP?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android

37 40.66%
  • WebOS

54 59.34%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Installed cm7 alpha 2.1 yesterday and, aside from a few sleep issues, haven't had any problems with it at all. I'm sticking with Android once it's stable, there is literally nothing WebOS can do(aside from user interface options), that Android can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    In CGK's defense:

Link to thread

In mine AND CGK's defenses:

Link 2
    What do you know? You are only 20 :-P sorry I had to lol I'm a grumpy old guy :-)
    welp, please read the following link, stickied at the top of the TP forums, above where this thread was

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...scussions.html

<thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Both. Need a good ePub reader and Browser choices. Otherwise I'm happy with WebOS.

We are seriously lacking a good reader app in WebOS. The Kindle one is fine-ish. And thanks to those who made the sideloader, it's actually useful. But I have many more ePub books than Kindle or Mobi books. pReader, just doesn't cut it... yet.
    I want, very badly, to use WebOS at all times.

I believe I can get around the lack of Hulu, Netflix, a proper drawing app, video editing apps, sketchy Skype video chat performance, and the possibility of a future devoid of support, but if any updates that follow are like 3.0.4, ruining my TouchPad and requiring large volumes of patches and fixes to repair it, I'll be forced to abandon WebOS completely.
    I'm going to have to dual boot to android since WebOS is lacking a few things I really need/user on a daily basis.

If my Touchpad could stream netflix that'd be great.
    and
    If my touchpad could use my Foscam camera's then I wouldn't need android. All the android apps I need I use my phone for.. I really do like the webOS.. i hate the fact that I can't hide the cards or make them smaller. I'd like an option to have them not be showing on the main page, but not be forced to flick them away to remove them. I have this beautiful display showing half naked women on it all the time, I wanna see boobies more than the last 3 things I recently opened up.

So unless those get fixed, I'm stuck with dual boot. But as for right now, I do prefer WebOS over android.
    Need more options:
    1) webOS
    2) android
    3) ubuntu
    4) all the above
    5) win98? :-P
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    We all know there is fervent interest in porting TPs over to Android. We already have a working and somewhat stable Alpha version of the Cyanogen Mod available for use.

Given some of the disadvantages of WebOS (lack of App developer support, Ad-Hoc network support, paltry stock and 3rd party browsers, much slower releases and updates of the OS, constant rumors of OS abandonment), once a fully flushed out version of Android is available will you be crossing over?

Will you dual boot, but primarily work under the Android OS?

Or will you stay with WebOS and if so, why?
    Last week I would have answered "webOS all the way.
    I would always choose multitasking.
    Well, at least until I found out about the deliberate predatory update policy.
    Going to give CM7 (dual boot) a try. If I don't like it, I'll be seriously considering dumping my TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    funny thing is I have an android tablet and I find myself constantly trying to swipe away cards to close apps. It seems webOS has implanted itself in my brain lol. I really love this OS my real hope is to see it continue on and have either HP bring it back to life for real, or sell it to someone who will embrace it as it deserves.
    I like webOS too, multitask a lot. I used friend's ipad2 yesterday and the first thing I did was to try to pull up a playlist on grooveshark to share with friend and it was flash so no go. Android seems to use our data for the ad machine--nothing is free. Was longing for soundhound but using it from the website on my mac works perfectly for info on my recorded tracks and so not worth the effort to install android operating system. If picsel works, I probably won't even use ubuntu that much.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    Last week I would have answered "webOS all the way.
    I would always choose multitasking.
    Well, at least until I found out about the deliberate predatory update policy.
    Going to give CM7 (dual boot) a try. If I don't like it, I'll be seriously considering dumping my TP.
    You don't have to update. You can ignore the install update option.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    You are going to think this strange but the Webos browser is better than any Android in ONE respect.

When I scroll down pages in Webos, the address bar stays at the top. On all android browsers I have used so far (Dolphon, Opera and Firefox), the address bar scrolls up with the page.

Thus if I want to change pages, I have to scroll all the way back up and then enter a new address. Wit Webos it's just there.

To me this is a good thing. Others may disagree.

Alan
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    You don't have to update. You can ignore the install update option.
    You can to a degree, but it keeps asking, and if you miss answering one of the update choices, it defaults to "install" and goes ahead with it. Yes, you can hack the update daemon and disable updates, but I don't see why anyone should have to to that.

I have a number of options open to me, but putting up with stealth update attacks is not an option I'll accept.
    Last edited by lar3ry; 10/25/2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    You can to a degree, but it keeps asking, and if you miss answering one of the update choices, it defaults to "install" and goes ahead with it. Yes, you can hack the update daemon and disable updates, but I don't see why anyone should have to to that.

I have a number of options open to me, but putting up with stealth update attacks is not an option I'll accept.
    Oh, I didn't know this. That's a nasty little policy. The default for any system should always be "no" not "yes."
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    You are going to think this strange but the Webos browser is better than any Android in ONE respect.

When I scroll down pages in Webos, the address bar stays at the top. On all android browsers I have used so far (Dolphon, Opera and Firefox), the address bar scrolls up with the page.

Thus if I want to change pages, I have to scroll all the way back up and then enter a new address. Wit Webos it's just there.

Alan
    I can see some advantages to this.
    What I would like to see is a "jump to top/bottom" button or finger gesture like IOS.

There's nothing worse than getting to the bottom of a page and then having to spend 2/3 seconds Winding the page back up to the top.

With IOS, I just tap above the address bar and the page rolls up to the top.
    I can see some advantages to this.
    What I would like to see is a "jump to top/bottom" button or finger gesture like IOS.

There's nothing worse than getting to the bottom of a page and then having to spend 2/3 seconds Winding the page back up to the top.

With IOS, I just tap above the address bar and the page rolls up to the top.
    Opera can be set to keep the address bar on top at all times. And if you flick, a button appears to let you jump to the top or bottom (depending which way you flicked).

Dolphin has gestures so you can just do the appropriate one to get the bar or goto top/bottom.

Firefox doesn't have the fast scrolls but if you slide to the left/right, the address bar pops up.

Alan
    FWIW, you can just tap the menu button with Dolphin HD and it will drop down the address bar regardless of the position you are at on a page.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Oh well, there you go - options abound.

Now, where is the keyboard with a number pad above it (like webos)?

Thanks

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    funny thing is I have an android tablet and I find myself constantly trying to swipe away cards to close apps. It seems webOS has implanted itself in my brain lol. I really love this OS my real hope is to see it continue on and have either HP bring it back to life for real, or sell it to someone who will embrace it as it deserves.
    Lol, I find myself trying to swipe in android all the time.

For me, I don't care what the OS is called. I am using cm7 right now as the quality of apps outweighs my love of the webos ui.

If webos gets ezpdf and a decent video player then I will have it all! If ics brings this to me sooner, then I will be using that on my touchpad. I LOVE having choices and am thankful to the revs that make it all work.

Thanks

Alan
    hacker keyboard (free in the market) has the numbers up top and thumb keyboard has them down the middle. As you said, options abound....

Thanks

Alan
    Two off the top of the head that have keypad/number row keys.

also, a lot of them have keyboard keys that will automatically place a number when you "long" press the key. Which, imo is also a good tradeoff as opossed to having to press an option key to get numebrs.

https://market.android.com/details?i...b2FyZHBsdXMiXQ..

https://market.android.com/details?i...ZXQudHJpYWwiXQ..

There are many other keyboard apps on android. Personally I use Thumb Keyboard on my tablet.

-Suntan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast