View Poll Results: Will you switch to Android or not?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YEAH! Android FTW!

129 55.36%
  • NO WAY! WebOS till death do us part!

104 44.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1.    #1  
    Will you stick with webOS till the end or will you switch to Android if Ice Cream Sandwich comes to the TP with a simple once click install?
    Using CM7 Alpha 2 already. so far no issue, 2 day running straight!. Got everything working like I would in WEBOS + More!. and having ability to Dual Boot just rox!.

When ICS comes out and ofcourse tweak for TP in next 2-3 months!...Will try it. But for now using CM7 Alpha 2...
    I will wait until a fully functioning final release, then I will change.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    CM7 is nice, but WebOS is still the better tablet OS.
    Using alpha 2.1 right now. I have to say, I stick by my thoughts of android not being intuitive or very impress I've at all as far as UI goes, but I given the right device and with ice being very focused on just those issues and more, I can see why android has.a strong point, though im not sure how much of it is mod added or not, it seems like android has alot of customization and options. I think flash works better on webos, I wish it worked that good in dolphin browser as that browser is amazing. Android has many of the missing features in webos, but it's presentation is lacking. Ice cream sandwhich is the shovel that will dig webos into the ground. It takes a combination of honeycomb, webos and windows phone designs and combines the and modifies some of all of the strengths of ios, webos and windows phone. It uses primarily gestures, the app bar from windows phone (basically) swipe to delete apps (in my opinion better then webos because you didnt always know what an app was if it looked similar to another, this version uses card,icon and title in a clean thumbnail list where you simply swipe away to close. And its not always visible, its hidden like windows phone which I like. Now, how it will fair as far as smoothness, graphics support, battery life and consistency we will have to see, but being someone who has never been a fan of android, I am liking what I see... Ics will be a natural transition, it does have that customization level which I like, if android were to stay as it was, I am not impressed, atleast in some ways. Anyway for those who are on the fence despite it not being intuitive or attractive right now... It does run awesome and the app market is best I've seen because it doesnt just include apps, it has music, movies, themes and even add ons for apps. And its organized very well. I now have almost all apps I had on my iPad (though they are not tablet versions, but actually scale nicely!) I even got splashid for free with getjar market.
    webOS forever! ICS looks good, but they're adding more layers onto an already (for me at least) complicated operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by demichve View Post
    CM7 is nice, but WebOS is still the better tablet OS.
    I signed up to test the beta early access emulator when first released, webos has the potential to be amazing, but did not take it. The elegance of havingmovable panes and a nice tabed launcher is awesome, but if you have dabbed around outside of webos, you will realize the feature set of webos is so far behind its sad and heartbreaking it had so much potential, but is lacking even simple features like saving passwords. Performance is not impressive at all. The alpha cm7 actually runs more like an RTM release then webos. No delays like on webos, no keyboard issues, it just works. There are glitches, but overall it runs better then what it's designed to run. I think Hp didnt put enough work into the system. Webos 3.0 had very little in new features compared to what it had in 2.0 it even became lazy in areas it likely planned to not be. If you look at the original documents which were mostly right, you can see that this device didnt include everything it was meant to, simply put, it was rushed. People like you and me and many others did our best to support webos, promote it, and keep it alive, but in the end, if a tablet isn't able to perform well people will not be happy. I know lots of fire sales touchpad's were resold after being used because some people didnt even think it was worth 100 bucks. I will never sell mine because it has webos, and webos is what sparked my interest in the mobile phone field more so then any other phone at the time. I am a developer because of webos and even though I have decided against developing for the touchpad despite finally getting one, I love webos, it would have been the best tablet os. Sorry for the long response! I just think that if it's gotten to a point where I (someone uninterested in android) is using android on a w2ebos tablet 95% of the time, then webos is lacking too many features to make it as usable as a tablet needs and thats bad. Mu opinions have been the same as yours since my ol' dead pre from near launch. I commend you for truly believing it is still the better tablet os though, but for many I think it is starting to show not to be (UI I would say it is fairly close to being the best UI, but unfortunately UI isn't everything as I have noticed the counter opposite on Android, which has a sucky UI bad update consistency and too many devices to choose from but an os that has the capability to do many things. The experience is definitely not consistent. Im enjoying it more on my touchpad then any android phone I've played with for long. webos needs the smoothness of ios, customization of android, connectivity of windows phone and features its missing from all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    webOS forever! ICS looks good, but they're adding more layers onto an already (for me at least) complicated operating system.
    I agree. Android is way to counter intuitive, finding anything is so much easier on webos. If it is another layer it will only confuse people more, but it looks to be a rethink using the best ideas f4om all systems. In fact, many articles mention webos several times as many features seem derived from webos.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have an Android phone, and I agree the OS is not always as intuitive as it should be.....my old Blackberries on the other hand were always easy to figure out.

I like WebOS. There's something very simple about it. I have CM7 loaded up now, and it's funny because here I now have all the "power" of Gingerbread....but I don't know what to do with it. So many apps, but many aren't made for tablets. You can use them, but they're not great. And I can't even find a nice way to stream mkv's with subtitles over my LAN. Poor quality, etc. With WebOS and Splashtop, it worked fine (Splashtop on Android.....worse quality).

So with everything said, based on the topic here, I'd switch to ICS because it will be made for tablets.
    I am quite happy with webOS - does all i need - internet radio, video player, web, email. I would need a really compelling reason to change to ICS - something i cant do in webOS that i have to be able to do. However when ICS becomes a stable release with an easy way to install and remove then i'd be willing to try ICS.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I'm missing an option in the poll: dual boot

Right now I'm using webOS 100% and will install Android only when ICS is available.
    I'll make the switch. I'm using Cyanogenmod mod full time right now. It is nice having all the apps. I have nothing against WebOS.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    As much as I love webos, I will switch. Android as well as its apps keep evolving, while webos most likely will stagnate and phased out.

For me, currently the only advantage of webos it its UI. With ICS fixing this problem, I see no purpose staying in dead platform.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As a user I prefer the WebOS platform but I can simply do more work in CM7, so once ICS becomes available, I would guess that I'll use it almost exclusively.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I'll probably keep webOS, but I won't use it much. Even with CM7, I plan on staying in Android for the majority of the time. WebOS is the better interface, but it's about the apps. Having Pulse alone is worth it. CM7 is pretty stable already, (though not without its problems) but the web browser availability and quality and other apps make it worth the hassle. Games run better overall in webOS right now, but I expect that will improve as the Android port gets more solid, and especially after a food ICS port is out.
    DeadVim and dignitary like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    I'll probably keep webOS, but I won't use it much. Even with CM7, I plan on staying in Android for the majority of the time. WebOS is the better interface, but it's about the apps. Having Pulse alone is worth it. CM7 is pretty stable already, (though not without its problems) but the web browser availability and quality and other apps make it worth the hassle. Games run better overall in webOS right now, but I expect that will improve as the Android port gets more solid, and especially after a food ICS port is out.
    ^This. I really like WebOS but without apps I find it limiting now. My initial use-case for a tablet was pretty limited to just internet, e-mail, media - which WebOS does extremely well (well, not so great for internet) - so I picked it up mainly for the price. The more I use a tablet the more uses I find for it and the app catalog is becoming very limiting in that regard. If the ecosystem was more developed it would be much more compelling and I foresee/hope more apps are developed for it. I'll continue to buy apps for the Touchpad when compelling ones are available to support the dev community.

I will probably dual-boot and mainly run WebOS to see how things progress. I'll boot into Android when I need it for something specific. If WebOS becomes a dead platform (which I hope it doesn't) then I can safely move to Android if I wish to. Choice is always a good thing.

I would add 2 more options to the poll - 1) I'm bi-polar. I'll dual-boot and mainly use WebOS 2) I'm bi-polar. I'll dual-boot and mainly use Android.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Dont really need many more apps.

I use a Pre 2 for phone so just makes sense for me to keep webos on the TP.

also Android is ugly (too me).
    kataran likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    ^This. I really like WebOS but without apps I find it limiting now. My initial use-case for a tablet was pretty limited to just internet, e-mail, media - which WebOS does extremely well (well, not so great for internet) - so I picked it up mainly for the price. The more I use a tablet the more uses I find for it and the app catalog is becoming very limiting in that regard. If the ecosystem was more developed it would be much more compelling and I foresee/hope more apps are developed for it. I'll continue to buy apps for the Touchpad when compelling ones are available to support the dev community.

I will probably dual-boot and mainly run WebOS to see how things progress. I'll boot into Android when I need it for something specific. If WebOS becomes a dead platform (which I hope it doesn't) then I can safely move to Android if I wish to. Choice is always a good thing.

I would add 2 more options to the poll - 1) I'm bi-polar. I'll dual-boot and mainly use WebOS 2) I'm bi-polar. I'll dual-boot and mainly use Android.
    Those are exactly my thoughts.

Choice is great, I'm in webOS now for 'stability' but I have to say I used CM7 last night exclusively and completely forgot I was using an Alpha.

Right now, no word of a lie, my browser is displaying my previously typed text in the 'trackback' area of the screen for no good reason and I've had to click 'Install Later' 3 times to stop the 3.0.4 update happening. To say nothing of the page rendering quirks.

This does not help endear me to webOS, it has to be said.
    im switching once ICS hits.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Sticking with webos for the TP. I love webos too much now to go back. But I do look forward to messing around with ICS on another device when it's available. I like Android for tweaking, but webos on a tab is excellent for day to day use, for me at least.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast