View Poll Results: Will you switch to Android or not?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YEAH! Android FTW!

129 55.36%
  • NO WAY! WebOS till death do us part!

104 44.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Android is what makes my TP really useful to me these days and I expect that to continue.

But I agree...I'd be in category "C" above...ICS will be daily driver (heck, GB is my daily driver already) but will keep webOS around to see where it goes.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    Will you stick with webOS till the end or will you switch to Android if Ice Cream Sandwich comes to the TP with a simple once click install?
    IF Amazon does not buy WHO WILL But any way I will go down fighting LONG LIVE

WEBOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lideadhead View Post
    this browser is such crap. I probably can't type this thread without it automatically refreshing.

I would convert simply for such a flawed browser.

sooooo frustrating........
    If you do, try dolphin HD... Amazing browser! Super smooth and has lots of features. Also browsers on android have a not real experience including saving passwords and uploading files.
    I just have one question - where is the Flash on Android? It won't let me download one. And so far, the Opera browser is the best I've found for me. If I can find the Flash Player....
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    I just have one question - where is the Flash on Android? It won't let me download one. And so far, the Opera browser is the best I've found for me. If I can find the Flash Player....
    I downloaded it from the Marketplace, is it not listed on your build?

Have you downloaded and installed the 'Fix Marketplace' zip?

(edit) If you have the latest Alpha then the fix is included.
    Last edited by DeadVim; 10/26/2011 at 01:20 AM.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    If you do, try dolphin HD... Amazing browser! Super smooth and has lots of features. Also browsers on android have a not real experience including saving passwords and uploading files.

I have used Dolphin for a long time (still use it on my phone for the time being), but I just put the CM7 on my Touchpad and was surprised to see how much better Opera Mobile was. Damn near as smooth as the iPad version of Safari. For tablets, at least the touchpad running CM7, use Opera and Dolphin and then decide. For me, there was no comparison. Silky smooth scrolling on Opera. Tabs are less intuitive, but the browsing experience is much nicer.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Every app should at least have a menu > exit command. webOS you swipe away and you know the apps are really closed instead of having to go through a convoluted process to stop apps.
    Apps that need an Exit option (like Navigation and Messenger apps that runs even if you hit the Back button) have an Exit option. Otherwise, just hit back until you exit the app, and it will stop whatever its doing. My understanding is that backing out of an app causes it to stop and remain in stasis, unless it's an app that is meant to run in the background and provide periodic updates to you.

Your app doesn't need to "close" because Android puts a halt to whatever it is doing (unless you've given it permission to do background updates, like Twitter or email programs), so it's not using up any resources. I get than an Exit menu item makes people feel like they've achieved closure, but it's really not necessary in most cases.
    Add a third option,
    Or, "Until webOS is licensed to someone else."
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Apps that need an Exit option (like Navigation and Messenger apps that runs even if you hit the Back button) have an Exit option. Otherwise, just hit back until you exit the app, and it will stop whatever its doing. My understanding is that backing out of an app causes it to stop and remain in stasis, unless it's an app that is meant to run in the background and provide periodic updates to you.

Your app doesn't need to "close" because Android puts a halt to whatever it is doing (unless you've given it permission to do background updates, like Twitter or email programs), so it's not using up any resources. I get than an Exit menu item makes people feel like they've achieved closure, but it's really not necessary in most cases.
    Although in ICS, I see they are effectively adding an exit button by allowing users to swipe away cards. However I *suspect* that is a placebo for users who care about such things and that ICS will keep those apps running in the background unless the system needs the resouces.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Although in ICS, I see they are effectively adding an exit button by allowing users to swipe away cards. However I *suspect* that is a placebo for users who care about such things and that ICS will keep those apps running in the background unless the system needs the resouces.
    Placebo or not I'd rather press an exit button instead of hitting the back button repeatedly.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Placebo or not I'd rather press an exit button instead of hitting the back button repeatedly.
    I agree with you there -- it is not very elegant, especially in apps where you're several screens deep. Honestly though, I always just hit the Home key and I just don't worry about it -- I let go and let Android
    depends on which one is better I like choices. If there are no updates to webOS I might look at ICS. Although I already have a tablet that will get ICS update (transformer) .
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    depends on which one is better I like choices. If there are no updates to webOS I might look at ICS. Although I already have a tablet that will get ICS update (transformer) .
    If WebOS is no longer updated, I'll probably wipe out the Touchpad and make it a single-boot Android tablet. It's been running dual boot android/WebOS for several days now and frankly I find the Touchpad to be faster when booted to android.
  14. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    After using CM7 I don't see why webos doesn't have some of the things android can do. Pdfs have several apps to use. Repligo reader lets you DRAW on pdfs!! Adobe reader is smooth and crisp and doesn't lag. Although it does struggle with large pdfs and webos succeeds on that front. Booting into webos just to read my 1400 page pdf textbook is a pain. There are also issues watching embedded youtube videos and sites always going to their mobile versions.

I really hope that an ICS port comes out for the touchpad, because now I am tempted to get an asus transformer when it is on sale just because android is a world of difference.
    Webos has not really reached a critical mass that developers take note of. PDF files are notoriously difficult to deal with.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Just hit Home and be done with it.

@c2q
    Can Repligo open a huge pdf? Have you tried setting the heap size in cm7 to 48mb and tried it?

I'm kinda curious about this.

Sent from my G2
    I can't login to HBO go with CM 7 So I am happy for dual boot still.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    As listed here, you can set it so holding down the back button will exit the app.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234